Modify Expression Editor - moved from Powerbuilder.General

How about improving on the Modify Expression Editor a bit? We have some
quite complicated expressions, and the tiny little MLE control that PB uses
to allow us to edit expression is very clumsy (and yes, I do realize about
the elipse to bring up the modal Modify Expression window - which contains
an only slight less tiny MLE for editing the Expression).

Not to mention that embedded Returns in the expression can cause the
computed field to behave funny.

How about a real editor, complete with color markups, support for
indentation and carrage returns, AutoScript even!
0
David_T

Oooh, yes!
I'd like that. Allow new lines and indentations by pressing enter and tab
instead of ctrl <key>

Arnoud

<David_T> wrote in message
> How about improving on the Modify Expression Editor a bit? We have some
> quite complicated expressions, and the tiny little MLE control that PB
uses
> to allow us to edit expression is very clumsy (and yes, I do realize about
> the elipse to bring up the modal Modify Expression window - which contains
> an only slight less tiny MLE for editing the Expression).
>
> Not to mention that embedded Returns in the expression can cause the
> computed field to behave funny.
>
> How about a real editor, complete with color markups, support for
> indentation and carrage returns, AutoScript even!

0
Arnoud
2/17/2003 3:17:06 PM
Yes, and while we are at it, make this available at run time as well.  Like
filter() & sort() expression editor is available at run time.

"Arnoud Oortwijk" <gloriant_NOSPAM@skynet.be> wrote in message
> Oooh, yes!
> I'd like that. Allow new lines and indentations by pressing enter and tab
> instead of ctrl <key>
>
> Arnoud
>

> <David_T> wrote in message
> > How about improving on the Modify Expression Editor a bit? We have some
> > quite complicated expressions, and the tiny little MLE control that PB
> uses
> > to allow us to edit expression is very clumsy (and yes, I do realize
about
> > the elipse to bring up the modal Modify Expression window - which
contains
> > an only slight less tiny MLE for editing the Expression).
> >
> > Not to mention that embedded Returns in the expression can cause the
> > computed field to behave funny.
> >
> > How about a real editor, complete with color markups, support for
> > indentation and carrage returns, AutoScript even!

I voted for this suggestion in the general group by mistake. I again vote
for it here.

--
Rahul Jain

<David_T> wrote in message
> How about improving on the Modify Expression Editor a bit? We have some
> quite complicated expressions, and the tiny little MLE control that PB
uses
> to allow us to edit expression is very clumsy (and yes, I do realize about
> the elipse to bring up the modal Modify Expression window - which contains
> an only slight less tiny MLE for editing the Expression).
>
> Not to mention that embedded Returns in the expression can cause the
> computed field to behave funny.
>
> How about a real editor, complete with color markups, support for
> indentation and carrage returns, AutoScript even!

0
Rahul
2/18/2003 3:54:28 PM
Yess!!
Count me in too

Something like the formula-editor in CrystalReports???

Grtz
harry

<David_T> schreef in bericht
> How about improving on the Modify Expression Editor a bit? We have some
> quite complicated expressions, and the tiny little MLE control that PB
uses
> to allow us to edit expression is very clumsy (and yes, I do realize about
> the elipse to bring up the modal Modify Expression window - which contains
> an only slight less tiny MLE for editing the Expression).
>
> Not to mention that embedded Returns in the expression can cause the
> computed field to behave funny.
>
> How about a real editor, complete with color markups, support for
> indentation and carrage returns, AutoScript even!

0
Harry
2/19/2003 11:07:24 AM
My $0.02 FOR this one!
0
lt

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Powerbuilder
Hi all, I am probably not suppose to be asking this question here but I have been unable to get into the beta news groups and we are getting a little frazzled. Can anyone give us an example of a Jaquar NVO component using a connection pool. We are trying to sync a datastore on easerver with a datawindow and cannot establish a connection through the pool on easerver. We are able to execute a method to insert a row and sync. If that means anything. Thanks Den We are using PB7.0 and EAServer3.0 betas on NT Since the beta's well over and the product is about to be shipped, ...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

Web resources about - Modify Expression Editor - moved from Powerbuilder.General - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles