Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???

Hi all:

As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT:
1. Mainframe Computing
2. Client Server
3. Distributed (3-Tier)
4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web)

Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network
speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your
opinion would become popular?

1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and
hence boost PB market???)

2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring
rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a
web-based product?)

Thanks,
Biju

0
BN

5. Distributed wireless with cellphones,PDA, tablet etc devices  is the
future and SYBASE stays on top in this area.

"BN" <bijurkAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT:
> 1. Mainframe Computing
> 2. Client Server
> 3. Distributed (3-Tier)
> 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web)
>
> Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network
> speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your
> opinion would become popular?
>
> 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular
(and
> hence boost PB market???)
>
> 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring
> rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a
> web-based product?)
>
> Thanks,
> Biju

0
WS
3/4/2004 5:44:42 PM
I dont think there sis such a thing as a thin client anymore. Browsers take up
alit of spce tthese days and becoming more ans more complex everyday. Netscape
and IE both download ziped at 20+MBs. How is that a thin client.

I do think things are heading more to a web like look. Has anyone at Sybase
thought of adding a Web datawindow type? Maybe event Web-DW, PDA/Cell-Dw, along
with the external, n-tier, composite, label, etc... Tablet is prettymuch falls
in line with regular monitor display. The PDA/Cell would be limited to size.
Web-dw would be like a browser page editor. Kind of like a more powerful
Macromedia Ultrdev tool.

Well, thats my .005 cents

Jim

On 4 Mar 2004 09:44:42 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussion
WS <wizardofnet-at-yahoo.com> wrote:
>5. Distributed wireless with cellphones,PDA, tablet etc devices  is the
>future and SYBASE stays on top in this area.
>
>"BN" <bijurkAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi all:
>>
>> As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT:
>> 1. Mainframe Computing
>> 2. Client Server
>> 3. Distributed (3-Tier)
>> 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web)
>>
>> Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network
>> speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your
>> opinion would become popular?
>>
>> 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular
>(and
>> hence boost PB market???)
>>
>> 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring
>> rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a
>> web-based product?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Biju

Jim Smith
Duqusene Light Company
jrsmithATduqlightDOTcom
Pittsburgh, PA USA
0
Jim
3/4/2004 7:28:57 PM
Distributed computing is fine, but cellphones and pda's are almost useless
with the small screens for anything intricate or complex, we have had
clients drop their desire to use these applications for now. The Tablet is
the only thing that makes business sense for anything complicated. The rest
is a lot of hype and small applications which all become commodities because
you can't make more than a few hundred or at most a few thousand bucks from
them when you sell a copy.

What sybase should do is shore up it strengths in powerbuilder by focusing
on product quality and doing a few things better than anyone else and listen
to what we (collectively the people, not just a select few) are saying. I
met with sybase execs in Waterloo 2 years ago and said the same thing i have
heard many others say, you need to market your products and have never heard
back since nor have I seen any signifcant change in approach to the
powerbuilder marketing.

Why are we not in mainstream magazines with Powerbuilder and EAServer if
they are serious products. Why dont people even put EAServer on the
comparison list to Websphere and BEA and JBoss when you read journals. How
is Sybase capitalizing on the hype around Open source for technologies like
Powerbuilder.
Why isnt Sybase co-funding the writing of books or doing something like
IBM's red book series to keep the thought of the product alive?

Perhaps the Powerbuilder IDE should be open sourced with the exception of
the datawindow to come up with a product like Eclipse (ok maybe this is a
bad example, but its just one of a thousand ideas). There needs to be
something done though, because product quality is not nearly as good now as
it was in 7, at least in the development environment. I realize we got a new
interface, but we are paying a high price for that.

In Canada, we have seen an enoromous decline in the desire for or use of
Powerbuilder and related projects. The microsoft and java marketing engines
are branding deep into the brains of a new generation of managers who dont
even know powerbuilder or things like EAServer exist. They only hear about
..net or java and other brands which invest heavily into pushing the words
about their development environments.

I know a whole bunch of kids graduating from software engineering at the
university of western ontario this year in Canada and not one knows anything
much about sybase other than their database products. However, when these
kids are choosing products to develop their thesis on, they are using either
visual studio.net or java with either borland or eclipse.

Also, anyone that thinks open source doesnt sell is not looking ahead. Watch
the trends with governments like China and governments in South America. Why
arent we on Linux with Powerbuilder, much like it used to run in other unix
variants. I know at least 500 users we have would prefer a linux desktop
over windows in the Caribean.

Where is the marketing edge for products like powerbuilder? What is the
strategy for customer retention and new customers?

From outside it is pretty hard to see the future. I have invested a number
of years in the product and would like to see a rejuvination, but frankly I
dont think the Sybase execs have very many good plans in place.

I'm no genius, but it is pretty clear. I think long term, Powerbuilder is on
its way out. Once the customer base erodes enough, Sybase will have to
discontinue it.

It is sad to see so much potential continually eroding. I am going to get
out of programming before I end up using VB.NET, ugggh. Maybe McDonalds is
hiring......

Regards,
Brad

"WS" <wizardofnet-at-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 5. Distributed wireless with cellphones,PDA, tablet etc devices  is the
> future and SYBASE stays on top in this area.
>
> "BN" <bijurkAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> > Hi all:
> >
> > As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT:
> > 1. Mainframe Computing
> > 2. Client Server
> > 3. Distributed (3-Tier)
> > 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web)
> >
> > Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in
network
> > speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your
> > opinion would become popular?
> >
> > 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular
> (and
> > hence boost PB market???)
> >
> > 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring
> > rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a
> > web-based product?)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Biju

0
Sybase
4/1/2004 3:36:40 AM
Don't forget Walmart .... I always wanted to be a greeter when I retire from
IT <lol>!

"Sybase" <bgawne@bralar.on.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
> > future and SYBASE stays on top in this area.
> >
> > "BN" <bijurkAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> > > Hi all:
> > >
> > > As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT:
> > > 1. Mainframe Computing
> > > 2. Client Server
> > > 3. Distributed (3-Tier)
> > > 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web)
> > >
> > > Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in
> network
> > > speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your
> > > opinion would become popular?
> > >
> > > 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become
popular
> > (and
> > > hence boost PB market???)
> > >
> > > 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring
> > > rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a

0
Chris

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

Future of PowerBuilder #2
Hi, Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article about the future or the prospect of PowerBuilder?? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks AK; There are MANY threads in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussions NG. Here is a link to a very knowledgeable website: (http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future2 /powerbuilder_s_future2.html) HTH, Austin <AK> wrote in message news:3f3bf83f.5e1.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article > about the future or t...

The future of powerbuilder #3
Hi, all I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what is the future of PowerBuilder? Thanks "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote: > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what > is the future of PowerBuilder? http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html Dmitri. Dmitri, do You like the ...

As he is the future real of PowerBuilder?
Hi As he is the future real of PowerBuilder? Law some post and some articles where they say that PowerBuilder does not have future, this tool is very beautiful and me q pain to know that there is no future in her. Perhaps I am mistaken or I am confusing the things. Lima - Per=fa Yeah, I read back in late 1999 in articles and posts that all the computers in the world were going to crash causing a worldwide panic leading to the destruction of civilization. Then came Britney Spears. They were right. <L.Barzi> wrote in message news:45018540.f94.1681692777@sybase.com...

PowerBuilder futures webcast...
December 11 and 12 http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1022611,00.html?source=newsgroups From the webpage: "Join Dr. Raj Nathan, Senior VP and GM of the Sybase Enterprise Solutions Division, for his Webcast presentation on the future of PowerBuilder! IT executives, directors, managers, and developers won�t want to miss this! Dr. Nathan will discuss the state of the applications market, the industry segments in which PowerBuilder is situated today and will be in the future, and the strategic thrusts for PowerBuilder going forward." Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybas...

The Future of Powerbuilder #2
I work for a fortune 500 company who is looking at developing a client server software package. It is of course geared to be web enabled as well as normal client server. As a Powerbuilder and Visual Basic programmer for more than 8 years I believe that going with Powerbuilder on this project is a good decision, my colleagues and managers does not. It has been rumored for some time now that Powerbuilder is dying a slow but eminent death and I'm rather saddened by this since I personally feel Powerbuilder is a great tool to work with. I couldn't find any substantial informa...

JAVA PowerBuilder future
Hi: For Pb 6.0 users How is java been utilized by the new version and do you think a good knowledge in Java will be helpful Thank you ...

Web resources about - Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder??? - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles