COM/COM+ Components

We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
impact on you?

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/
0
Dave

Dave;

    By this you mean allowing PB to build a COM Server?

Chris

"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
> impact on you?
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Chris
5/13/2008 1:46:01 PM
Yes.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

On 13 May 2008 06:46:01 -0700, "Chris Pollach"
<cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote:

>Dave;
>
>    By this you mean allowing PB to build a COM Server?
>
>Chris
>
>"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
>> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
>> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
>> impact on you?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Dave
5/13/2008 1:51:08 PM
This would esentially lock our Win32 applications into version 11.2 since we
would NOT want to deploy multiple runtime versions beyond 11.2 or maintan 2
different versions of PB. Therefore we would not be able to take advantage
of the new DW stuff in 11.5 in the short term.  We use COM/COM+ componets to
integrate our apllications with legacy applications or other Win32 apps such
as CAD software.

We are already in the process of migrating these apps to WinForms and
converting the COM/COM+ componets to assemblies but I do not feel that this
process will be done in the near future.

My thought would be to depreciate COM/COM+ when you also depreciate Win32.
Its not like this wizard is a major piece of the puzzle.

Randy

"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
> impact on you?
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Randy
5/13/2008 2:48:07 PM
I'm working with an ISV that is just moving it's software to PB11, so
most of its clients (today, all but one) are still on versions that
were built with PB7. For the last couple of years we've been using COM
to backport functionality (e.g. XML support, PDF generation) back to
the PB7 versions which we have to maintain and enhance until clients
upgrade, which may be years off, based on historical patterns.

If SySam allows us to run both 11.2 and 11.5 on the same machine, I
can see this being fine; we just won't be able to encapsulate any new
11.5 functionality into COM objects. (I'm not saying people will be
*happy*, but they won't be stuck.) If SySam is going to make us pick
one or the other, we won't be able to upgrade to 11.5 until all our
clients are moved up to PB11.x-based products. (I don't think they'll
see buying an extra set of licenses as a viable solution. <g>)

Thanks for asking,

On 13 May 2008 05:34:36 -0700, "Dave Fish [TeamSybase]"
<n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote:

>We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
>PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
>Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
>impact on you?
>
>Regards,
>Dave Fish
>Sybase
>
>PowerBuilder Blog:
>http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated April 2/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
5/13/2008 3:35:53 PM
 No problem ... if you give me DPB back!    :-)

> Yes.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/
>
> On 13 May 2008 06:46:01 -0700, "Chris Pollach"
> <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote:
>

>>Dave;
>>
>>    By this you mean allowing PB to build a COM Server?
>>
>>Chris
>>
>>"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
>>> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
>>> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
>>> impact on you?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave Fish
>>> Sybase
>>>
>>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>>> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Chris

we uses com/com+ components developed with powerbuilder
we uses this inside the ie browser to make a bridge between the windows app
and the browser app  :-(, yes I know what you want to tell me ....

but:
I think that there is no way to make this working, if  we have to switch to
assemblies !
assemblies in IE ?
so we need com/com+ !!!!

TIA
Heino Hellmers

"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
> impact on you?
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Heino
5/14/2008 1:56:50 PM
Dave,

I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you here.

We use com interfaces (automation servers) in order for us to connect to
some third party applications.

Would we still be able to implement these com interfaces in a PB11.5 app or
a PB12 app?

TIA for the clarification.

Jeff Gibson
Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner
Nashville, TN

"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
> impact on you?
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Jeff
5/15/2008 6:02:16 AM
Hi Jeff,

We are looking at deprecating the ability to create a COM or COM+
component only. You would still be able to use COM to get to 3rd party
applications.

Thank you to all that responded. I've forwarded your comments to
product management and engineering. My recommendation is to keep
COM/COM+ support in 11.5 and deprecate it in v12 when a more robust
alternative should be available.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

On 14 May 2008 23:02:16 -0700, "Jeff Gibson"
<jgibson@interceptsolutions.com> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you here.
>
>We use com interfaces (automation servers) in order for us to connect to
>some third party applications.
>
>Would we still be able to implement these com interfaces in a PB11.5 app or
>a PB12 app?
>
>TIA for the clarification.
>
>Jeff Gibson
>Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner
>Nashville, TN
>
>"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
>> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
>> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
>> impact on you?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase
>>
>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Dave
5/15/2008 11:31:09 AM
Thank you!

Randy
> Hi Jeff,
>
> We are looking at deprecating the ability to create a COM or COM+
> component only. You would still be able to use COM to get to 3rd party
> applications.
>
> Thank you to all that responded. I've forwarded your comments to
> product management and engineering. My recommendation is to keep
> COM/COM+ support in 11.5 and deprecate it in v12 when a more robust
> alternative should be available.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/
>
> On 14 May 2008 23:02:16 -0700, "Jeff Gibson"
> <jgibson@interceptsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Dave,
>>
>>I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you here.
>>
>>We use com interfaces (automation servers) in order for us to connect to
>>some third party applications.
>>
>>Would we still be able to implement these com interfaces in a PB11.5 app
>>or
>>a PB12 app?
>>
>>TIA for the clarification.
>>
>>Jeff Gibson
>>Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner
>>Nashville, TN
>>
>>"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
>>> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
>>> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
>>> impact on you?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave Fish
>>> Sybase
>>>
>>> PowerBuilder Blog:
>>> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Randy

desupport should only come AFTER 11.5 ...
PB12 will change a lot and is 2009
PB11.5 is not far away and till now we us COM/COM+ and still need it

also Windows 2000 deployment would still be nice but is not so hard to
desupport windows2000
then COM/COM+ desupport !!!!!!!!!

Regards
Heino Hellmers

"Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> We are planning to deprecate the COM/COM+ component wizard in
> PowerBuilder 11.5. Alternatives are deploying your NVO as a .NET Web
> Service or as a .NET Assembly. Would removing this feature have an
> impact on you?
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
> PowerBuilder Blog:
> http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

0
Heino

COM/COM+ component
Hi Does anyone have an simple example of COM/COM+ component and the way to use it ? cheer <Muriel> wrote in message news:417783cf.293.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi > > Does anyone have an simple example of COM/COM+ component and > the way to use it ? > > cheer Check the ole-ocx-activex group. There are also several examples in the help documentation. -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] ...

PB COM components in COM+
Is there any way to successfully utilize COM+ transaction management via a COM component built in PB7 ? No. Following Microsoft info, and my own tests, COM+ are actually supported only by VB and Ms C++. In PB, GetContextService call always return -1. "Robert Ranck" <reranck@cmds.com> wrote in message news:XR#daMQRAHA.162@forums.sybase.com... > Is there any way to successfully utilize COM+ transaction management via a > COM component built in PB7 ? > > > ...

geobutton.com geoup.com, geobytes.com networldmap.com?
Do these website have the potensial for privacy 'invasion'? If you just to be on the safe side want them in your host file (I did a DNS Zone Query): # Geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 radev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 devadmin.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 ra.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 new.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 comdev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 buttondev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 mail.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 www.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 image.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 dev.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 button.geobutton.com 127.0.0.1 map.geoup.com # Geoup.com ...

need to remove XSRemover.com; WorldAntiSpy.com; WinHoun.com and PSGuard.com
I have a long distance friend I am trying to help remove some desktop hijackers. The info online is limited. I have found that some of those are desktop hijackers. I told the person to check Add Remove to see if those are installed and run Ad Aware Se and Spybot Search and Destroy. Is there a remover for those or a place that tells how to manually clean up the machine. -- Firewire "Firewire" <firewire@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:dn9m9d$m0q$1@news.grc.com... >I have a long distance friend I am trying to help remove some desktop > hij...

Sending to aol.com , gmail.com, and yahoo.com
I'm running GroupWise 7.0. I have a Firewall and a CISCO router. We have all SMTP traffic pointing to the local IP address of the GroupWise server. At are website hosting company we have a MX record setup to point to an open Internet IP addres from are ISP. So when someone email us it comes from the internet IP address to are firewall to are local ip address. We are having proplem send to aol.com, yahoo.com, and gmail.com. How do I solve this. Also getting some host down issue and the host that is down is are .com address. Please help I had the same issue and we h...

What is COM/COM+/DCOM
Hi All, What is concept behind COM, COM+ and DCOM, Plz discuss in detail... Thanx in advance SajjadPlease Mark as Answer, if the post Solve your Problem__________________________Regards,Sajjad RizviC U ON NETreply me : sajjaddotnet@yahoo.com Sajjad, please do not ask us to do your homework for you. The following will provide you with a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_object_model Alister but why ???? Because this forums for asking the Question.... Any thing Wrong... (Thanx for Link)Please Mark as Answer, if the post Solve your Problem_____________________...

COM problem -
Im using a 3rd party dll for CC processing. To use this dll, I had to install WSE 3.0. All is good locally, but it didnt work when I uploaded to the testing server. I asked by boss to install WSE 3.0 on the server so that I could use the dll. He installed it and I get the following error:Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {698BFD43-76AA-4D13-98FE-5BE9FF5E05B8} failed due to the following error: 80040154.[COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {698BFD43-76AA-4D13-98FE-5BE9FF5E05B8} failed due to the following error: 800401...

Hi All, Need your help to resolve my problem, I have a dll for a ChangeMangement tool (I guess this was developed using VB), when I try to register this dll, I am getting "Dll loaded, but DllRegistry entry point was not found" I am sure this dll is not corrupted one, bcz same dll I am able to refere in my server (where corresponding Tool is installed). Any one can help how to register this dll ? or how to find the dependent dlls for this? I am trying use the classes in this COM object, but when I refere in .Net and when I run the appl, I am getting CLSI was not loaded. ...

Use unregistered COM components (Reg Free COM) in ASP.Net app??
Hi, I am a newbie in ASP.NET.  I just wonder how we could use unregistered COM in ASP.NET 1.x and 2.0 web application. Thank you in advance :) Phil...

c.microsoft.com c2.microsoft.com crl.microsoft.com
Windows-update and various security patch downloads all access some or all of the URL's c.microsoft.com c2.microsoft.com and crl.microsoft.com. I suspected these URL's to do some information-snooping so I blocked all requests to the internet. I was somewhat surprised to find that everything was working completely as before. So my question is: does anyone here know what these URL's are used for? As far as I know c.microsoft.com serves webbugs, and only webbugs. Never found anything from the other two servers you mentioned. Where did they show up and what did they serve? ...

SmtpClient , sending mails to @gamil.com or @yahoo.com or @anyOtherThing.com
i am creating a  SmtpClient as follows    Dim Client As New SmtpClient("mycompany.com")it work fine for all  ids end with  @mycompany.com  (i mean the To field) but it throws an exception  when i send mails to  ids ending with  @gamil.com or  @yahoo.com  or @anyOtherThing.comand the exception.message is  'Thread was being aborted.  how can i get escape  Check your SMTP server settings and check the SMTP server logs.  My guess is you're not allowed to forward outside your domain. JeffPlease: Don't for...

Microsoft COM+/MSDTC Components (COM+) edition of the Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tool
The Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tool facilitates the gathering of critical system and logging information used in troubleshooting support issues. The reporting tool DOES NOT make any registry changes or modifications to the operating system. This tool gathers some of the same basic information needed for this support scenario category. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e52ae84a-66ef-4515-950c-cf0edd603a9a&DisplayLang=en -- Regard: Joh@nnes � :-)) "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

PB9+ Using .NET C# COM+ Component in Powerbuilder
Hello, I want to use a COM+ Component, written in C# from PB9 or later. I use the following code: OLEObject EmpObj Integer li_rc EmpObj = CREATE OLEObject li_rc = EmpObj.connecttonewremoteobject( "localhost", "clsid:9FB604AA- D5BF-39F8-BF57-9586141C48FB") if li_rc < 0 then Destroy EmpObj Messagebox("Connecting failed","Error: "+String(li_rc)) return end if sle_1.text = EmpObj.Test("Denis") EmpObj.disconnectobject( ) Destroy EmpObj I get the Errorcode -3 (Object could not be created). Is there anybody o...

Web resources about - COM/COM+ Components - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

GQ Loses Another Critical Style Component
GQ Loses Another Critical Style Component

Spent on specs: are smartphone component wars overrated?
... made, or at least a few dozen? Ironically, many of the games that are recommended tend to be those that don't require blazing hardware components ...

Teardown of iPad Pro reveals revamped component layout
... Apple device teardown on the iPad Pro on Wednesday, revealing a reworked internal design dominated by massive batteries and bespoke audio components. ...

Corvette Stingray gets optional Z06 components
Filed under: Chevrolet , Coupe , Performance Chevrolet announces a series of upgrades available for the Corvette Stingray derived from the equipment ...

IDG Contributor Network: Four critical patches for November Patch Tuesday update core Windows and Office ...
Microsoft's November Patch Tuesday brings us four critical updates and eight important patches that attempt to resolve 54 reported vulnerabilities ...

DeBoer makes no excuses for components Sharks are missing
... 58° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch DeBoer makes no excuses for components ...

Immigration Law Enforcement: A Vital Component Of National Security And Counterterrorism
While the administration claims that these refugees are being vetted, there is no way to actually screen these people

Pneumatic component maker Taiwan Chelic debuts on TSE
Shares of pneumatic automation component maker Taiwan Chelic started trading on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE) on October 27 with an initial ...

Teflon Component Tied to Kids' Weight Gain
PFOA, a main component of Teflon, has been linked to increased body fat and faster weight gain in children.