When is a column not a column?

I have several extremely similar datawindows that I have to maintain that go
against the same table.  Recently, I had to add a column to that table, and
also add the column to ALL of these datawindows that go against this table.

I added the column to the first datawindow, set up the edit control style,
etc.  I then did a copy/paste of the columns edit control to the remaining
dw's (of course remembering to first add the column in SQL).  Everything
(update props, column specs, column props) seems to indicate that the pasted
column is linked to the column I selected, HOWEVER, when I retrieve, the
column behaves as if it is not linked to the underlying SQL column.

It seems that the cut and paste is REAL problematic, but without it,
maintenance on these dw's is going to be a real pain.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

TIA,

Bill Pfeiffer

0
Bill

Adding a column or modifying even the Data Type of a column in a DataWinodw
is not so straightforward as it seems. There is a great feature though that
I have used which is a life saver. Go to the Library painter, select the
Datawindow, do a mouse right click  and choose Export (also available under
menu Entry). Edit this Exported file (it might be difficult to understand in
the beginning) to include the new column. Once done do an Import into your
library from the Library painter.  This is sure to work.

Bill Pfeiffer wrote in message ...
>I have several extremely similar datawindows that I have to maintain that
go
>against the same table.  Recently, I had to add a column to that table, and
>also add the column to ALL of these datawindows that go against this table.
>
>I added the column to the first datawindow, set up the edit control style,
>etc.  I then did a copy/paste of the columns edit control to the remaining
>dw's (of course remembering to first add the column in SQL).  Everything
>(update props, column specs, column props) seems to indicate that the
pasted
>column is linked to the column I selected, HOWEVER, when I retrieve, the
>column behaves as if it is not linked to the underlying SQL column.
>
>It seems that the cut and paste is REAL problematic, but without it,
>maintenance on these dw's is going to be a real pain.
>
>Any ideas on what might be going on?
>
>TIA,
>
>Bill Pfeiffer

0
Sunita

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

IF you set column to width 0 in a datawindow grid, the column appear as a with column at the end of the grid
Can you remove the white space at the end of a grid, it seems to appear when we set columnwidths to '0'.. ICE I've not seen that. What version of PB are you using? What platform? On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:42:02 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow ICE <ICE@nospam.com> wrote: >Can you remove the white space at the end of a grid, it seems to appear when >we set columnwidths to '0'.. > > >ICE > > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder...

How can I get the column name of a datawindow column?
I want to get the column name in tablename.columnname format. I have tried to get it using dbname property. However, I found that it work only if the tables in the datawindow are inner join. If the tables in the datawindow are outer join, the dbname only return the columnname and the tablename is missed. Do you have any idea? Charles You could add the name to the select clause or to the tag property. Or you caould check to see if it is a join or not (by seeing if there is a '.' in the column name) if not then get the sql select statment and parse to find the table...

validation columns against column
Hi  Do anybody know some articles or codeexample of how to validate columns against a input Column. B can be > A and B can be < C. If you in row ID write 55 for Column_B, it must be reject.example:ID        column_A  Column_B   Column_C1              3               10             152         &...

How to get a column property in a datawindow column object expression?
Hi, I have a free style datawindow, I want such expression: columnA.x = IF(columnB.visible, columnB.x + 100, 200) Yes, you can get it in script, but I just want set it in datawindow. Anyone can help? Bo Song soong@188.net Hi Bo, AFAIK, you cannot reference object properties in the expression. That would be nice... -- - Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 Bo Song <soong@188.net> wrote in message 36D52106.433CE9B2@188.net... >Hi, >I have a free style data...

Writing a column after column
Hi all, I need to consolidate columns of data available across different directories into a single excel csv file. Usually we write to a file row after row but for the current task I have, it would be convenient to write the file column after column. Is there a file writing mode for this? If not, I guess, I will have to write the matrix row by row and then take a transpose. Let me know what you guys think and if you could share some skeleton of code for something like this would be great. Thanks. -vijay vijay wrote: > I need to consolidate columns of data available acro...

How to make DataWindow column resizable like Excel column
Does anyone know how to make DataWindow column behave like Microsoft Excel column. When user expanses or reduces a column, other columns should slid accordingly. What you're describing is native to the grid style. Is that not what you're using, and if not, should you be? <g> Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 10 Sep 2003 07:33:26 -0700, James S wrote: >Does anyone know how to make DataWindow column behave like >Microsoft Excel column. When user expanses or reduces a >column, other columns should slid accordingly. Sequel&...

How to place in DataGrids’s first column table’s column name, in second Datagrid’s column table’s column value?
Hello I use C#. I’m interesting are there samples solved my problem. Andrew. You will need to loop through the datasource of the datagrid or through the datagrid items and fetch the values for the second datagrid.Sonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thank you! I solved my problem at the server cite. Andrew. ...

How we can change control from one column to specific column in datawindow
How we can change control from one column to specific column in datawindow programatically. Let's suppoose there are three column in datawindow 1: Name 2: address 3: Phone when we open the window, Tab or Cursor is on column 1 (Name) now i have one button ...i want to write code in that button...when i click that button control or tab or cursor goto the phone column. Please somebody tell me how i can do this... thanks noaman mughal SetColumn. -- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder http://www.pb9...

Setting Datagrid Column to invisible when Column is an AutoGeneratedColumn NOT a bound Column
Hi all, Just like the title says, I'm trying to set a column to invisible but I'm unable to do so. If I bound the column I can used the code: me.datagrid.Column.Item(1).Visible = False But since I'm wanting the column NOT to be bound (there are a number of sql scripts that populate the same datagrid so I cannot bound all the columns since the columns are different for each script etc etc etc) how do I set an AutoGeneratedColumn to invisible?? Please help! Andrewwww.codingmayhem.com - VB.NET, C#, Silverlight, Javascript, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, MySQL and SQLitewww.headshot...

in a grid how to find a particular column is bound column or template column
hi,  Any one know how to find a particular column is bound column or template column or button column,etc in a grid Advance thanks   hi...use this dim label1 as Label=ctype(GridView1.FindControl("name"),Label) Hope This HelpsBhaaratRemember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps UMy Blog find a particular column is bound column or template column no to find that particular column  Hi,please excuse me if iam wrong.i found that bount columns values are directly renders to a <td>  where template columns create some cont...

[*-)]how to delete all columns except one column for the corresponding column name......?
hi friends,          i've a table with (columns) username, content,data,........... i need to delete all column names(i.e.,content,data,........) except username for the specified username. eg: consider username=mahendran. i've to delete the values in the content,data,...............for the username=mahendran. but username should exist.how to do that?pls help me......  ---------------------------------------------------Don't forget to "Mark as Answer" if you are satisfied. Use the following  DataTable.Columns.Rem...

max no of chars of each column in powerbuilder datawindow
Hi ! I'm using powerbuilder 5.0 what's the max no of char(s) of each column in powerbuilder datawindow ... !? i found i can only input 200 char in a column as no limit set in the column ..... Pls advise ... JJ There is no restrictive limit the DW puts on column lengths, but your database may limit you. If you can't enter more data into your column then either make your column bigger or turn on vertical or horizontal scrolling. Regards, John Team Sybase "JJ" <jasonyklau@sinaman.com> wrote in message news:HbllVTg3CHA.187@forums.sybase...

datawindow.column.count not returning column count using dot or Describe
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? ...

Web resources about - When is a column not a column? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Politics, Political News - The Capitol Column
Covering the politics of science, technology, business, entertainment, Capitol Hill, and health.

Column vector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... unclear because it lacks inline citations . Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations. In linear algebra , a column ...

Column 8
Column 8 came across a business card in our wallet this morning, with no clue as to how it got there (we all have cards like that, found days, ...

Becoming The Perfect Faculty Member: An Advice Column
What is tenure all about? Selfish preservation of yourself without regard to the institution, of course.

An NYT ‘Weddings’ Column for the Ages
About the only thing missing from Jamie Diamond ’s epic backgrounder on the Dec. 5 Los Angeles wedding of comedienne Carol Leifer and real estate ...

Patt Rall Column: The arts and Bemidji go hand in hand
Bemidji Pioneer Patt Rall Column: The arts and Bemidji go hand in hand Bemidji Pioneer Watching Bridget O' Sullivan fulfilling her ambition ...

Check out the highest-rated comment on this WaPo column, "The American Dream? I thought so, until I had ...
... maternity leave to be with a child you chose to have while still eating out, watching HBO, and buying a new car." The author of the column is ...

Tim O'Sullivan column:
Concord Monitor Tim O' Sullivan column: Concord Monitor Danny Ainge needs to acquire more talent. Young players like Smart and Olynyk need ...

C&L's Late Night Music Club With Durutti Column
... to be done on such equipment and on such a minimal recording budget to be put out as a large scale release on any record label), Durutti Column's ...