Using 6.5 DW's in 7's HTML and ActiveX DataWindows

PB 7 has the new HTML DataWindow and the ActiveX DataWindow. Both just read
PBD's to extract a specific datawindow to process.

Question: Can these new facilites read PB 6.5 datawindows? This would be
nice to ease transition. We can still develop DW's in 6.5 until we thing 7.0
is stable and we can distribute to our developers.

Don Weimann

0
Don

1.  No, it won't read PB7 datawindows.  HTMLDW is implemented by adding
properties to the datawindow object.

2.  PB7 is, AFAIK, rather stable.  I've invested a great deal of time to
ensure that it, and in particular, the HTMLDW is stable.

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:51:31 -0700,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Don Weimann <dpwe@chevron.com> wrote:
>PB 7 has the new HTML DataWindow and the ActiveX DataWindow. Both just read
>PBD's to extract a specific datawindow to process.
>
>Question: Can these new facilites read PB 6.5 datawindows? This would be
>nice to ease transition. We can still develop DW's in 6.5 until we thing 7.0
>is stable and we can distribute to our developers.
>
>Don Weimann

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html

Bruce
4/28/1999 7:40:57 PM
Bruce,

When using the HTMLDW, what controls are on the client side? I am looking
through the documentation but have not found anything yes. Do all client
side components get automatically downloaded to the client (i.e. no client
side installations required).

Also, do you have any idea of the licensing issues for deploying an
application using HTMLDW?

Thanks

Andrew Kurtz

0
Andrew
5/2/1999 3:19:57 PM
PMFJI,

The HTMLDW is just that, HTML. Nothing needs to be installed on the
client side. The HTML DW contains JavaScript for validation and client
side events (if you choose).

As for licensing, it depends on where you deploy the middle tier
component. If you use EA Server (Jaguar), you need a license for it.
If you use web.pb and distributed PowerBuilder then I don't think you
need any additional license. Same if you use MTS.

Regards,
Dave Fish [Team Powersoft]

On Sun, 2 May 1999 11:19:57 -0400, "Andrew Kurtz"
<andrew.kurtz@turnkeyintegration.com> wrote:

>Bruce,
>
>When using the HTMLDW, what controls are on the client side? I am looking
>through the documentation but have not found anything yes. Do all client
>side components get automatically downloaded to the client (i.e. no client
>side installations required).
>
>Also, do you have any idea of the licensing issues for deploying an
>application using HTMLDW?
>
>Thanks
>
>Andrew Kurtz

0
dfish
5/2/1999 11:34:51 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the response. If I us HTMLDW via ASP and MTS, there are no
licensing/royalty issues? Is  this what I understood from your response?

Thanks

Andrew Kurtz

Dave Fish [Team PS] <dfish@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> PMFJI,
>
> The HTMLDW is just that, HTML. Nothing needs to be installed on the
> client side. The HTML DW contains JavaScript for validation and client
> side events (if you choose).
>
> As for licensing, it depends on where you deploy the middle tier
> component. If you use EA Server (Jaguar), you need a license for it.
> If you use web.pb and distributed PowerBuilder then I don't think you
> need any additional license. Same if you use MTS.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish [Team Powersoft]
>
> On Sun, 2 May 1999 11:19:57 -0400, "Andrew Kurtz"
> <andrew.kurtz@turnkeyintegration.com> wrote:
>
> >Bruce,
> >
> >When using the HTMLDW, what controls are on the client side? I am looking
> >through the documentation but have not found anything yes. Do all client
> >side components get automatically downloaded to the client (i.e. no
client
> >side installations required).
> >
> >Also, do you have any idea of the licensing issues for deploying an
> >application using HTMLDW?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Andrew Kurtz

0
Andrew
5/3/1999 2:41:24 AM
On Sun, 2 May 1999 11:19:57 -0400,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Andrew Kurtz <andrew.kurtz@turnkeyintegration.com> wrote:
>Bruce,
>
>When using the HTMLDW, what controls are on the client side?

None, it's all HTML and JavaScript.

>Do all client side components get automatically downloaded to the client
>(i.e. no client >side installations required).

There are no client side components, other than the user's browser.

>Also, do you have any idea of the licensing issues for deploying an
>application using HTMLDW?

The only licencing cost is the middle-tier that your web app talks to.  That
would be either DPB or Jaguar.  I'm not the expert on licencing costs though,
you would need to talk to Sybase directly about that.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html

Bruce
5/3/1999 3:16:08 PM
I agree with Bruce, your best bet would be to call Sybase and find
out. I think I heard there was no licensing fee for DPB with PB 7, but
I wouldn't take my word for it.

Regards,
Dave Fish [Team Powersoft]

On Sun, 2 May 1999 22:41:24 -0400, "Andrew Kurtz"
<andrew.kurtz@turnkeyintegration.com> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>Thanks for the response. If I us HTMLDW via ASP and MTS, there are no
>licensing/royalty issues? Is  this what I understood from your response?
>
>Thanks
>
>Andrew Kurtz
>
>Dave Fish [Team PS] <dfish@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> PMFJI,
>>
>> The HTMLDW is just that, HTML. Nothing needs to be installed on the
>> client side. The HTML DW contains JavaScript for validation and client
>> side events (if you choose).
>>
>> As for licensing, it depends on where you deploy the middle tier
>> component. If you use EA Server (Jaguar), you need a license for it.
>> If you use web.pb and distributed PowerBuilder then I don't think you
>> need any additional license. Same if you use MTS.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish [Team Powersoft]
>>
>> On Sun, 2 May 1999 11:19:57 -0400, "Andrew Kurtz"
>> <andrew.kurtz@turnkeyintegration.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Bruce,
>> >
>> >When using the HTMLDW, what controls are on the client side? I am looking
>> >through the documentation but have not found anything yes. Do all client
>> >side components get automatically downloaded to the client (i.e. no
>client
>> >side installations required).
>> >
>> >Also, do you have any idea of the licensing issues for deploying an
>> >application using HTMLDW?
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >
>> >Andrew Kurtz

0
dfish

Using dddw's on html dw's
I've posted this to the powerbuilder.datawindow forum but was not quite sure if that was the correct forum. Here's the problem: I've created an html dw that uses 2 dddw's. It is invoked by the passing of 2 arguments that are passed when then user signs on to the system. These arguments are captured in the DynaScript of the html page via the session variable. Here are the questions: (1) How do I pass the initial arguments - company # and user # - to the primary dddw so that only those records on the table that the dddw is using are available and (2) when the use...

accessing a datawindow's control's properties using expresisons
Is it possible to access a column's y coordinate and use it in a datawindow extression? example: if(column.y > 500, a..., b...) If( Long( Describe( 'column.Y' )) > 500, a..., b... ) -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] VCI Springfield, MA www.vcisolutions.com "Leon Mandel" <lmandel@sao.state.tx.us> wrote in message news:3E308134.8070602@sao.state.tx.us... > Is it possible to access a column's y coordinate and use it in a > datawindow extression? > > example: > > if(column.y > 500, a..., b...) > ...

What's the story with Tie::RefHash (5.6.1 is 'newer' than 5.7.2?)
I noticed that lib/Tie/RefHash.pm in perl 5.6.1 seems to be newer than than the one in perl-current that I fetch with rsync. I hadn't noticed it before, but when I run perl -e 'use CPAN; CPAN::Shell->r;' I'm now getting a report that perl 5.7.2's Tie::Refhash (dated Dec 6 2000,) is an older rev than the Apr 8 2001 version in perl 5.6.1 Another possibility is that there is (or was) an indexing problem with CPAN. Package namespace installed latest in CPAN file Tie::RefHash 1.21 1.3 G/GS/GSAR/perl-5.6.1.tar.gz ...

dddw's on html dw's
HELP!! We've run into a MAJOR problem with using dddw's on html dw's that require retrieval arguments. The html dw's use variables that are set based upon the user logon which are the exact same variables that are needed as the retrieval arguments for the dddw's. We haven't been able to find a way to pass these arguments within the html dw to the dddw control either through the use of session variables or linked arguments. If anyone has an example of how this is done or a suggestion on how to accomplish this I'd be forever grateful. TIA Brad ...

dddw's on html dw's
I'm having an 'irrating' problem in creating an html dw that contains 2 dddw's. Whats supposed to happen is that when the html dw is invoked, it is passed 2 arguments that are used to specify who the user is - company number and user number. Based upon these arguments, the first dddw is supposed to populate a list of available selections based upon entries in a secondary table - company # and user # are contained in the secondary table that the dddw accesses. Based upon the user's selection from the primary dddw, the second dddw is supposed to be populated with the...

dddw's on html dw's
I have an html dw that has a dddw control on it. The purpose of this dddw is to provide the user the ability to select 'vendors' that are relative to the 'vendor item' the user is trying to add to the database. In order for this to work correctly, the dddw must have retrieval arguments set that only pull the vendors that are relative to that user - client # and store #. Both of these fields exist on the vendor table - which populates the dddw - and the vendor item table - which is what the user is updating. My problem is that I cannot seem to establish a link between ...

NetWare 6.0 vs 6.5 upgrade path Pro's and Con's
Hello, Forgive me for the double post. I just wanted to get maximum exposure and responses. I am the only NetWare 6 CNE in the IT Department where I work, and I have been asked by my supervisor to write a one page report on the best path for upgrade from NW 5.1. So he is asking me whether we should be upgrading each server individually to NW 6.0, or NW 6.5? We currently have already upgraded the Master Replica NetWare server and a Groupwise 5.5 EP2 GWIA/MTA NetWare Server to 6.0 SP3. But he wants to know if we should instead be upgrading the next 16 NW 5.1 servers to NW ...

NW 6.0 vs 6.5 for upgrade path Pro's and Con's
Hello, I am the only NetWare 6 CNE in the IT Department where I work, and I have been asked by my supervisor to write a one page report on the best path for upgrade from NW 5.1. So he is asking me whether we should be upgrading each server individually to NW 6.0, or NW 6.5? We currently have already upgraded the Master Replica NetWare server and a Groupwise 5.5 EP2 GWIA/MTA NetWare Server to 6.0 SP3. But he wants to know if we should instead be upgrading the next 16 NW 5.1 servers to NW 6.5? We tend to upgrade each individual server over a 24 month period, and so we are a...

Replace 1's and 0's in a gridview column with Yes's and No's
Is it possible to change the display of a column in a gridview to show a Yes for all 1's and a No for 0's that display in a particular column of a gridview bound to a database?  If so, can someone share the way with me?  I am using ASP.NET 2.0 with VB Code Behind.  Thanks One way you can do is thrrough  CASE in your select statement: Select YesNoColumn= CASE yourColumn WHEN 1 THEN 'Yes' WHEN 0 THEN 'No' ELSE '' END FROM YourtableLimno <Columns>     <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="yourHeader" SortExpression="yourDataField"> ...

It's Linux !? No, it's BSD ! No, no, it's...
kFreeBSD http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel ! ObiWan wrote: > kFreeBSD > > http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD > > a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel ! Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian packages. :) -- Jimmy Johnson Registered Linux User #380263 >> kFreeBSD >> >> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD >> ...

Opera's widgets vs IE's ActiveX vs FF's extentions.
I've asked the difference on Opera's forum http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=3D152376 The widgets designer answers some my paranoid quiestions. Tony. In grc.security Anthony OZ wrote: > I've asked the difference on Opera's forum > http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=152376 > > The widgets designer answers some my paranoid quiestions. Ahh... Thanks for posting. While it all sounds reassuring, I am not yet "supremely confident" here. I knew OS would follow it's security minded approach, but as with ...

Can I create a datawindow in PB6.5 using Store Procedure in MS SQL Server 7.0 as it's data source?
I created a Stored Procedure in MS SQL Server 7.0,and created a DataWindow in PB 6.5 using it as data source. First I use PB 6.5 native driver,I got such error message:Cannot create DataWindow. 'Data-conversion resulted in overflow. 1 execute dbo.P_TEST;1' Then I use ODBC,the columns were listed,but when I retrieved the data,I got another error message: Select error:SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Program type out of range. Can you help me? What types of columns are you retrieving in the sp? The 2 errors sound very similar. st...

How come FileFlash's home page doesn't get logged in Mozilla v1.7.5's history?
Is it me or is http://fileflash.com/ (not the links inside) home page not being recorded in Mozilla v1.7.5's history? I just noticed it. I looked at the source code, but didn't see anything interesting. I was using Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates). Thank you in advance. :) -- Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set on fire. Allah...

Using PowerBuilder's or Infomaker's Query Painter in my applicatoin
I am at the point in my application where I would like to allow my users to create customized queries, and possibly reports. I have figured out how to use syntaxfromsql to convert sql to the special datawindow code, and this works find for me. But some of my users arn't as gifted in the sql department. So now I wish I had a nice GUI query builder. My question is; Is the query painter, and maybe even the datawindow painter accessable from Powerbuilder script kind of like an activeX? Or an object that I can drop into a window. I think I am to the point that I could recreate th...

Web resources about - Using 6.5 DW's in 7's HTML and ActiveX DataWindows - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo