SQL vs Datawindow

Hi All,

I was wondering if there were reasons for utilizing SQL and not a
Datawindow or a Datastore when performing an update or insert?

Is there a preferable way.  Which is better?

NTA

The preferable way is whatever works, Sorry had to say it ;-). This is a
subject where you are going to get a lot of different opinions. In my
opinion I like to use a datawindow or datastore for any updates or inserts
where there is more then one record affected. For the times when there is
only one record affected I create a function on a userobject and do it from
there. One of the things to watch out for when using embedded SQL is that it
is not compiles the same as the rest of the script. So a script with no
embedded SQL is smaller then the script with embedded SQL.

My two cents.
Tyler

<NTA> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if there were reasons for utilizing SQL and not a
> Datawindow or a Datastore when performing an update or insert?
>
> Is there a preferable way.  Which is better?
>

> Thanks

0
Tyler

another kind of update I do with embedded
SQL is if I have to change many rows, but don't
need the data. For instance if I want to increase
the value of a column for many rows. Rather then
retrieving in a dataStore, looping throug the rows
and so on I call UPDATE ... SET ... WHERE
(and later hopefully COMMIT).

Chris Werner

"Tyler Craft" <tyler.craft@gnb.caNo_Spam_Please> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> The preferable way is whatever works, Sorry had to say it ;-). This is a
> subject where you are going to get a lot of different opinions. In my
> opinion I like to use a datawindow or datastore for any updates or inserts
> where there is more then one record affected. For the times when there is
> only one record affected I create a function on a userobject and do it
from
> there. One of the things to watch out for when using embedded SQL is that
it
> is not compiles the same as the rest of the script. So a script with no
> embedded SQL is smaller then the script with embedded SQL.
>
> My two cents.
> Tyler
>

> <NTA> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was wondering if there were reasons for utilizing SQL and not a
> > Datawindow or a Datastore when performing an update or insert?
> >
> > Is there a preferable way.  Which is better?
> >

> > Thanks

0
Chris
4/15/2003 3:27:53 PM
Whenever there is no "DISPLAY" of data required,
    if its one row that is effected, go for embedded SQL or better still, a
stored procedure
        for more than one row, go for stored procedure only
if there is display involved,
    datawindow is the ONLY way you would do the updates
if external data imports involved such as files etc
    use only datastores

Mell

<NTA> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if there were reasons for utilizing SQL and not a
> Datawindow or a Datastore when performing an update or insert?
>
> Is there a preferable way.  Which is better?
>

> Thanks

0
Mell

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Html-datawindow vs web-datawindow
Hi! We have mede some pages using datawindowbuilder. There we used html-datawindows. Now we have upgraded to PB8 and here it is called web-datawindow. What is the differense? 40% of the pages arnt working after we migrated to PB8. It seems like there have been some changes? Regards Staale What errors are you seeing with the problem pages? A. Staale wrote: > Hi! > > We have mede some pages using datawindowbuilder. > There we used html-datawindows. > Now we have upgraded to PB8 and here it is called web-datawindow. > What is the differense? >...

changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL
Hi I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private network, and requires a VPN to connect to). In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database interface from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL again because I get this error: Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode? If I select "NO", the SQL is...

HTML Datawindow DTC vs. Datawindow DTC
Can anyone tell me if the HTML Datawindow DTC provides an 'easy' way to make columns sortable like you can in the Datawindow DTC? Thanks, NP To do this you can code the following: <SCRIPT> htmlDW.SetSort('#1 A'); htmlDW.Sort(); </SCRIPT> This code could be tied to a drop down list box or a set of radio buttons that contains the column names to be sorted. Regards, Dan van Leeuwen On Wed, 12 May 1999 16:48:40 -0500, "Noah Pruzek" <npruzek@hotmail.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me if the HTML Datawindow DTC provides an...

Datawindow vs Embedded SQL
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7A377.D3C2C060 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can anyone point me to some good documentation (or provide the answers = here) as to the pro's and con's of using a DataWindow or Embedded SQL? = Which is better, which is more efficient, what way does Sybase = recommend? Any documentation that can help me answer these questions = would be helpful, also any insights any of you might have would be = great. Thank you! --=20 Dave H...

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

datawindow

datawindow vs. embedded sql
Hi, I would like to update a table, but have found using datawindows to be very slow especially when performing a lot of dw_1.SetItem statements. Instead, I'm using embedded sql insert statements for each row. Could someone please explain the disadvantages of using embedded sql? Thanks, Inya Embedded SQL is useful for several things. What are you planning on doing with it? If you put it in a loop and send one insert/update... at a time to the server than wait for the reply and then send the next one... Too slow... Also you will have to do something with the transa...

PB9: DataWindow.Printer vs. DataWindow.Print.PrinterName
In PB8, dw_cntl.object.DataWindow.Printer allowed you to direct Print functions for the DW to a specific printer. In PB9, dw_cntl.object.DataWindow.Print.PrinterName is supposed to provide that capability, but dw_cntl.object.DataWindow.Printer still exists. What is the difference? When should each property be used? TIA, Chet The only thing I can see is that possible the DataWindow.Printer is still here for backwards compatibility.... It seems that the .printer only affects setting the printer for that datawindow and does not change it for the PB or System default printe...

DataWindows and datawindow objects

Datawindows with child datawindows

DataWindow Within DataWindow

Web resources about - SQL vs Datawindow - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo