Select error: #3

I'm working with a PB6 program and when the datawindow
attempts to retrieve it throws a 'Select error:' with no
details.  If I take the sql script from the datawindow I'm
able to get the results fine.  Can anyone give some hints as
to what I should be looking for?  The retrieve only accesses
one table and there are no filters on the datawindow; just a
straight retrieve from the table.
0
Wesley

Hi Wesley;

1)  What tool are you using to run the DWO's SQL?
2) Are you connecting to the DBMS differently in your test tool vs PB
application?

BTW: What DBMS and connectivity does the application use currently?

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"Wesley" wrote in message news:4cf7deb9.5d66.1681692777@sybase.com...

I'm working with a PB6 program and when the datawindow
attempts to retrieve it throws a 'Select error:' with no
details.  If I take the sql script from the datawindow I'm
able to get the results fine.  Can anyone give some hints as
to what I should be looking for?  The retrieve only accesses
one table and there are no filters on the datawindow; just a
straight retrieve from the table.

0
Chris
12/2/2010 6:51:59 PM
This error often means that a column in the database is wider than the
datawindow expects (e.g. the dw thinks the column has a max of 20 characters
but it finds a value that has 21+, because the table has been changed since
the dw was built).  Assuming you have access to the code, try re-synching
the dw to the table by going to the Data Source and making a trivial change.

Ken

<Wesley> wrote in message news:4cf7deb9.5d66.1681692777@sybase.com...
> I'm working with a PB6 program and when the datawindow
> attempts to retrieve it throws a 'Select error:' with no
> details.  If I take the sql script from the datawindow I'm
> able to get the results fine.  Can anyone give some hints as
> to what I should be looking for?  The retrieve only accesses
> one table and there are no filters on the datawindow; just a
> straight retrieve from the table.

0
Ken
12/2/2010 6:58:40 PM
<Wesley> wrote in message news:4cf7deb9.5d66.1681692777@sybase.com...
> I'm working with a PB6 program and when the datawindow
> attempts to retrieve it throws a 'Select error:' with no
> details.  If I take the sql script from the datawindow I'm
> able to get the results fine.  Can anyone give some hints as
> to what I should be looking for?  The retrieve only accesses
> one table and there are no filters on the datawindow; just a
> straight retrieve from the table.

Try tracing the connection.
Does the datawindow have retrieval arguments?  If so, how are they used in
the actual query?
Are the datatypes of the columns you are retrieving compatible with this
version of PB?

0
Scott
12/2/2010 7:47:24 PM
Turn on database trace and look in the log file. The full error message
will be there.

The likely cause is one of the char columns is wider in the database
than in the datawindow.

On 12/2/2010 1:00 PM, Wesley wrote:
> I'm working with a PB6 program and when the datawindow
> attempts to retrieve it throws a 'Select error:' with no
> details.  If I take the sql script from the datawindow I'm
> able to get the results fine.  Can anyone give some hints as
> to what I should be looking for?  The retrieve only accesses
> one table and there are no filters on the datawindow; just a
> straight retrieve from the table.
0
Roland
12/2/2010 8:15:34 PM
Actually, the data source just has to be touched; you can reverse the
change. Space, backspace in syntax mode or drag a column to a different
order and drag it back.
For details of the error, look at the arguments in the SQLError event of
the DW. Every framework I've worked with has taken care of that in the
ancestor DW/DS.

Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
Product Enhancement Requests:

On 12/2/2010 1:58 PM, Ken Balakrishnan wrote:
> This error often means that a column in the database is wider than the
> datawindow expects (e.g. the dw thinks the column has a max of 20 characters
> but it finds a value that has 21+, because the table has been changed since
> the dw was built).  Assuming you have access to the code, try re-synching
> the dw to the table by going to the Data Source and making a trivial change.
>
> Ken
>
> <Wesley>  wrote in message news:4cf7deb9.5d66.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> I'm working with a PB6 program and when the datawindow
>> attempts to retrieve it throws a 'Select error:' with no
>> details.  If I take the sql script from the datawindow I'm
>> able to get the results fine.  Can anyone give some hints as
>> to what I should be looking for?  The retrieve only accesses
>> one table and there are no filters on the datawindow; just a
>> straight retrieve from the table.

0
Jerry

DataWindow Select Error #3
Dear all, Do you know in what circumstances the dw.retrieve() return -1, but SQLCA.SQLCode = 0, SQLCA.SQLErrText = "". My dw encounter "Select Error" in the middle of the retrieving process, The error happen after some records is retrieved. The dw window retrieve data using Sybase Stored Procedure. However, when I execute the Stored Procedure through interactive SQL in Database Painter, the retrieving process was completed without error. I am using PB7.0, Do you have any idea about what is happening ? Regards, Thomas. Error information for dataw...

Datawindow Error: Select Error:
The title of the messagebox: Datawindow Error Message is: Select Error: Migrated 6.5 libraries to 8.0. SQL is build on the fly using dot notation(datawindow.table.select) add the where clause and set the sql using dot notation(datawindow.table.select). The datawindow still work fine in the 6.5 environment but not in the 8.0 environment. Why are the messageboxes coming up? I've recreated on of the datawindow and the select error goes away but there are many windows with datawindows retrieving data and we can't recreate our entire app...

DATAWINDOW ERROR : SELECT ERROR 1
HI all I am getting above error while retrieving a datawindow thru my application. The datawindow is made using stored procedure as data source and manual result set. I have taken only one column in result set. but its not working. while other datawindow with made using another stored procedure have no problem also it don't have any retrieval argument. I have searched forums already for this but is not of much help. Please HELP.Thanks Purva Can you retrieve this datawindow in the datawindow painter? What do you mean by "I have taken only one column in result s...

Datawindow Error: Select error: #2
Hi guys, during the stage of upgrade PB application from v6.51 to 9.0(backend upgrade from Oracle 8.1.6 to Oracle 9.2.0.), I want to use O84 driver in PB9 instead of O73 in PB6.5.1, but I got the error like this:"Datawindow error: Select error" in one of my datawindow when I try to preview it. here's my SQL statement for the datawindow. SELECT "SATREV_REPORT_VIEW"."TITLE", "SATREV_REPORT_VIEW"."ITEM_ID", "SATREV_REPORT_VIEW"."SUB_TITLE", "SATREV_REPORT_VIEW"."APPLIED_YEAR&...

Select error: Powerbuilder JDBC Internal Error
Hi all, we are using PB7.0.3 Build 10135 with a JDBC Connection to MSSQL2k server. JDBC-driver: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC Version 2.2 Patch 1. used JDK is 1.2.2 The problem is the same if PB-application is running stand alone or as Component in EAServer. Problem: Whe retieving data everything is working fine unless there is an Euro-character in the data. Then we receive the following Message: "Select error: Powerbuilder JDBC Internal Error" Any ideas? Thanks What is the character set being used in JDBC and MSS? From what I have found, ...

DataWindow Error
I am working at PB 6.5 for Win NT and I am connecting to ORACLE 7.3. I am getting from PB very often this message. DataWindow Error - Select error: Column lists do not match. My code is like: FOR 1) ll_row = lds_tmp.Retrieve (ls_arg) 2) 3) itr_tr.SyntaxFromSQL (ls_procedure, '', ls_err) NEXT DW error find out after step 1) very often. if I try 2) if ll_row = -1 then ll_row = lds_tmp.Retrieve (ls_arg) then it is OK, second attemp for the same statement is without error. But I don't know why this error was risen. Is posible prevent from this error ...

DataWindow Error
I am working at PB 6.5 for Win NT and I am connecting to ORACLE 7.3. I am getting from PB very often this message. DataWindow Error - Select error: Column lists do not match. My code is like: FOR 1) ll_row = lds_tmp.Retrieve (ls_arg) 2) 3) itr_tr.SyntaxFromSQL (ls_procedure, '', ls_err) NEXT DW error find out after step 1) very often. if I try 2) if ll_row = -1 then ll_row = lds_tmp.Retrieve (ls_arg) then it is OK, second attemp for the same statement is without error. But I don't know why this error was risen. Is posible prevent from this error ...

DataWindow Retrieve Error -> ErrText : Select Error:
Hi, We recently migrated our app to PB8.0.4. After the migration, we are facing problems in retrieval of quiet a few DWs. All these DWs worked in previous versions of PB. When i open the DW, i get the error "Select Error:". I get the same error during runtime. The definition of a couple of fields was changed after creating the Datawindow. These fields are of string datatype and their lengths were increased. The one issue that i could notice, was that the column specification of the above mentioned two fields still hold the older field lengths. I opened the Datawind...

ERROR: SELECT * FROM sp_simpleProc ('3/3/04')
I have the following call heirachy of stored procedure and udf: sp_Proc1 aDate datetime sp_Proc2 aDtae datetime fn_Udf1 aDate datetime fn_Udf1 works fine and returns about 100 rows after using the aDate in a WHERE clause. sp_Proc2 works fine and uses the aDate parameter purley to pass it on to fn_Udf. sp_Proc1 does not work, and just like sp_Proc2, uses the aDate parameter purley to pass it on to sp_Proc2. I have simplified the body of sp_Proc1 to the following but always get an error in em saying sp_Proc1 not found and etc: tried: SELECT * FROM E...

select error: decimal conversion error powerbuilder only supports 18
After having migrated powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10.5: A retrieve (that was OK with powerbuilder 5) fails and returns this error message: "select error decimal conversion error powerbuilder only supports 18". Has someone any idea ? Thanks, Leonardo leonardo.rosselli@eng.it wrote: > After having migrated powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10.5: > > A retrieve (that was OK with powerbuilder 5) fails and returns this > error message: > "select error decimal conversion error powerbuilder only supports 18". > > Has someone any ...

DBD::Informix2004.03 AIX4.3.3 SELECTIVE TEST ERRORS
I'm having problems with a couple on tests. The bug report is below. Everything seems ok and most of the tests are alright but t60unlog, t91udts and t93lvarchar are partially failing. This is on an AIX4.3.3 server. I haven't been able to find anything that might address this sort of failure for DBD::Informix make test on the maillist.=20 Any suggestions would be very appreciated! Todd =20 Command: BugReport D t/t60unlog.t t/t91udts.t t/t92rows.t t/t93lvarchar.t Date: Thu Oct 7 14:35:10 CDT 2004 Machine: sbctss (AIX 3) User: uid=3D0(root) gid=3D0(syste...

selecting ? selecting of 1., 2. , 3., 4., 5., 6. is slow (1-3 second) then selecting of 7.,8.,9. go on is so fast (0.1 second or more fast).. how can i get fast for selecting of 1., 2. , 3., 4., 5., 6
hello friends selecting of 1., 2. , 3., 4.(sometime even 5., 6.) is slow (1-3 second) then selecting of 7.,8.,9.(sometimes 5., 6.,) go on is so fast (0.1 second or more fast).. how can i get fast for selecting of 1., 2. , 3., 4., 5., 6. is slow ?? recordcount is almost 1.050.000.. i do selecting 1.2.3. go on same page with treeview1.. treeview1 in masterpage.master.. gridview1 and datasource1 are in pagelist.aspx (it connets datasource1)..productnumber is primarykey for index.. kategori, kategori1 and kategori2, price, datemin are index from keys/index in table1 (right clicking menu)....

Select Error #3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C2F9F9.3EEEDE50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable What does this mean? Select Error: Decimal Conversion Error. Powerbuilder only supports 18 decimal digits. ----------------------- Richard Parke, Technical Consultant: Buchanan Family Medical Center webmaster@buchananfamilymed.com 269.695.0262 ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C2F9F9.3EEEDE50 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-pr...

datawindow select error
Hi I have a DW which retrieves fine during design time,but during run time it gives "Select Error". I checked the sqlsyntax and it seems fine any suggestions? TIA manish You should always try to post what version of PB and DB you are using. It'll help everyone trying to answer your question. Without knowing any of that, one thing I'd look at is your connectstring in the app versus what you are using via the IDE. In PB, if you right click on your connection, select properties, then find the Preview tab you should get what you are using there and use...

SELECT ERROR in a datawindow
I have a DW who works perfectly in my development environment and the .EXE too. But, when the user-end open the application and active the DW, he receives the following message: SELECT ERROR: ct_fetch():use api-layer:internal common library error: bind of result set item 9 resulted in a overflow. If he bypass the message, the application goes on without problems. Why this message ? Alvason Fabiano Menh� Uberl�ndia - Minas Gerais - Brazil. This message is caused when the results coming back don't match what the datawindow column is s...

Web resources about - Select error: #3 - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Scottish Affairs Select Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Scottish Affairs Select Committee is a select committee of the House of Commons in the Parliament of the United Kingdom . The remit of the ...

kotaku selects
Kotaku Selects

Facebook Testing Featured Videos in Videos Sections of Select Pages
Facebook confirmed to TechCrunch that it is testing a new design for the videos section of select pages – including ABC News and The New York ...

Select Apple Stores offering $50 discount on iPhone + Apple Watch purchases, but may not be best deal ...
... Watch Sports when bought with new iPhones, MacRumors notes. Not only is the promo not available online but it’s also being offered in select ...

Seventh Generation Selects 72andSunny After Review
Seventh Generation has named 72andSunny, New York, to lead strategy and brand development for its home and personal care products following a ...

T-Mobile Offers $100 Discount On Select Smartphones
There’s no denying the fact that a number of people are waiting for the two biggest sales on the planet—Black Friday and Cyber Monday. As a matter ...

BMW selects two artists to create M6 GT3 art cars
Filed under: Design/Style , Motorsports , BMW , Coupe , Performance , Racing Artists Cao Fei and John Baldessari will create the 18th and 19th ...

Benghazi Select Committee Hearings, Sponsored by the Stop Hillary PAC
Hearing is underway. Anyone watching? (YouTube livestream here .) I have it on as background noise and am paying intermittent attention as the ...

Best Buy to hold pre-Black Friday sale this Saturday at select locations
... from Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Fitbit and many others. Best Buy will hold a special pre-Black Friday sale for one day only this weekend. Select ...

Boehner's Last Stand: New Select Committee To Investigate Planned Parenthood
The other select committee has worked out so well for them, and their interrogation of Cecile Richards went swimmingly, too. It stands to reason ...