SaveAs : dBase not working with decimal places???!!!!

Hi,

does anybody know how to make a DW correctly save numeric data with =
decimal places into a DBF file?

All it does is it saves whatever numeric type (such as decimal, real, =
long, ulong or numeric) as NUMERIC 16:0.

When attempting to open the saved file e.g. in FoxPro, the decimal =
places DO APPEAR (?!) in browse window but Fox simply ingnores them =
anyway. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of any settings in FoxPro =
(although there are a couple of things to take care of but I tested it =
all and nothing worked).

I believe this to be another nasty bug in DataWindow and its SaveAs =
method.

I also miss a SaveAs "formatted text (space delimited)" format - not CSV =
nor TAB sep. text but fixed width columns - I think this might be useful =
- anybody from Sybase development reading this?

P.S.: Using Power++ 2.1

Thanks for your help :-)

0
Petr

Petr Zemanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know how to make a DW correctly save numeric data with decimal places into a DBF file?
>
> All it does is it saves whatever numeric type (such as decimal, real, long, ulong or numeric) as NUMERIC 16:0.
>
> When attempting to open the saved file e.g. in FoxPro, the decimal places DO APPEAR (?!) in browse window but Fox simply ingnores them anyway. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of any settings in FoxPro (although there are a couple of things to take care of but I tested it all and nothing worked).
>
> I believe this to be another nasty bug in DataWindow and its SaveAs method.
>
> I also miss a SaveAs "formatted text (space delimited)" format - not CSV nor TAB sep. text but fixed width columns - I think this might be useful - anybody from Sybase development reading this?
>
> P.S.: Using Power++ 2.1
>
> Thanks for your help :-)

That "problem" has been in PB forever.  And yeah, you'd think they could
actually afford to purchase one of the 6.3 million different source code
packages that write dbf files, and fix the problem permanently (catch
the touch of "I worked on this problem for days" animosity coming
through?). I just got my customer to accept comma separated or tab
separated files (and yes, they *were* incredulous that PB couldn't do
this right).

I believe PowerSoft's solution was to package Intersolv's ODBC drivers
rather than fix the problem.  With the Intersolv ODBC driver, you can
create a pipe that will save the data in a dbf file, decimal values
intact. 'Course 'tain't quite as easy as doing a SaveAs, and hey, the
6.5 SaveAs Excel function now can save Excel 5.0 format (how many
versions back is that, BTW?).  They're just jumping off that leading
edge of technology.

Paul
--
"[There is a] tendency underlying all the evil of our technology, the
tendency to **do what is "reasonable" even when it isn't any good.**",
Paul Rito <prito@aol.com> wrote:
>Petr Zemanek wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anybody know how to make a DW correctly save numeric data with decimal
places into a DBF file?

You must set the HCU/Control panel/international/sDecimal to . (not the default
,)
-erie-
0
erie

Help!! datawindow.SaveAs() drops decimals for dbase file
I am working on a legacy program that saves reports into dbase3 format. The problem is that when the datatype decimal(7,2) gets saved as a dbase3 using SaveAs(avstr_LanDirectory + "\" + avstr_reporttable + ".dbf", dBASE3!,TRUE) the datatype becomes numeric(16,0) in the dbase file that gets created. Is there a fix or a work around for this problem? ...

datawindow SaveAS() DBase
Hi, I am trying to save a datawindow as dbase file using saveas() function. The return code is -1. I can save this datawindow as other formats successfully Please don't cross-post. > Hi, > > I am trying to save a datawindow as dbase file using > saveas() function. The return code is -1. I can save this > datawindow as other formats successfully ...

Datawindow does not update all the decimal places.
Hi, I have a datawindow which is based on an Oracle(11g) table. There are 2 float fields whose values have 5-6 decimal places in the database. When I run the datawindow it shows all the decimal places. But when I change the values and try to update, it saves only 2 decimal places. For example, if table has 123.12345, it shows up as 123.12345. When I change the value to 123.22222, it saves it as 123.22 in the database. The float fields are mapped as NUMBER columns in the datawindow. The datawindow was created in an older version of PB. Now I use PB 11. Please help. Thanks Deepa ...

Datawindow.SaveAs() dBase Question
Hi All! I would like to save an external datawindow in dBase3! type. The SaveAs() saves the number type columns in number(16.0) dBase column type. How can I change the target column type, for examle to number(6.0) ? I use PB5/32. Thanx: Peter Szintai ...

plz Help: Converting 4 decimal places to 1 decimal place
Hi,I would like to convert 4decimal places to single(1) decimal place.For that i wrote below code. Its working sometimes. ex1:Input: StrAnlPct = "3.0000,2.9833,3.6546,4.65+6,5.54986,81.dsfds"Output: "3.0,2.9,3.6,4.6,5.5,81.d"For first example its working,Ex2:Input: StrAnlPct = "476290.4762,120.0000"For this i m getting error. Error is:    "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: startIndex "And    Source Error: At Line 590Line 588:            &...

Powerbuilder Example for window & Datawindow Plug In
Hi, I am trying to run sample application given powerbuilder for web-pb. I can run distributed Powerbuilder example, but i am not able to run window & datawindow plug-in example. I am using Internet Explorer 4.0 . When I open Datawindow or Window plug-in page through Internet Explorer, It is showing only a logo. What is the problem with that ? Can any one know what the problem is ? Thanks. Mahendra Dhamdhere On Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:16:22 -0500, Mahendra Dhamdhere <mahendrad@hotmail.com> wrote: There are some problems with the plug-ins and IE 4. Fortunatly John Martin...

decimal to varchar loosign decimal places
i convert 45.7895 using code below  CONVERT(varchar(10), TaxRate, 4) + '%' and the output is45.78%why the hell its cutting the 95 from the end? http://www.EasyStoreCreator.com/Everything your business needs to build an online store.------------------------------First Click DALhttp://asifashraf.com/FirstClickDal.asp------------------------------ASP.NET 3.5/sql server/svn hostinghttp://asifashraf.com/Aspnet3_5Hosting.asp Don't know for sure, but maybe it's because of the ,4.  Try ,10 as a test.C# <---> VB.Net Translator  Without knowing the datatyp...

Drop Down Datawindows in a HTML Datawindow not working
Hi, I have a HTML Datawindow with some dropdown datawindows in it. Everything works fine except the drop down datawindows. The dddw's work fine in PB or Datawindow Builder. All the dataobjects are in one pbl. Any idea... Thanks.. Reddy Can you take a look at the generated HTML and see if the data from the dddw is present? The way it works is that the dddw is retrieved and then the rows used in the html. Can you tell if it is being retrieved? Also, does it work from previewing in PowerDynamo? -- Build Your Future With PowerBuilder 7.0 www.c...

Formatting a decimal to 2 decimal places
Hi - just testing some code, and the code below returns a number with 3 decimal places (eg. 450.000). Will returning a decimal always give 3 decimal places, and if so, how can I remove the last one? I don't want to use: Return String.Format("{0:C}", decRunningTotal) - as that will automatically add a $ or £ or whatever to the start, and I'd like to control that. I'd really appreciate any help, thanks, Mark Function GetItemTotal() As String objDT = Session("Cart") Dim intCounter As Integer Dim decRunningTotal As Deci...

PB 10.0.1 DataWindow SaveAs() Function doesn't work for CSV
We have PowerBuilder Version 10.0.1 I have a datawindow object and want to save its contents as a CSV file. When I run this code in PowerBuilder it works fine. But when I run this code after deploying the exe in the same development computer, it doesn't work. I checked the folder permissions and it is Full Control for everyone. What am I missing? The code I have is: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DataStore lds_rep lds_rep = Create DataStore lds_rep.DataObject = "d_rep" ld...

datawindow works in PowrJ,fails in datawindow Builder
Hello. I am using a stored procedure inside a datawindow to update one table. when I ran my datawindow inside DataWindow Builder, I got an error message said: "Row Changed Between Retrieve and Update, No change made to database." When I used the same datawindow inside PowerJ3.5, i got the same error message, but the stored procedure was called successfully. The database was updated even though the error message from datawindow said it didn't. I don't understand why the stored procedure inside my datawindow worked in PowerJ but not in dataWindow Builder, and i don...

Powerbuilder 10 and MAPI does not work, works in PB 7
Hi, I have a powerbuilder application that uses MAPI to send e-mails using the customers e-mail client. Customer uses Netscape 4.7 With Powerbuilder 7.0, everything worked fine. Now with PB 10, the mailLogon function always fails. With PB 7 it works with Netscape, Outlook and Outlook Express. With PB 10, it does NOT work with Netscape and Outlook Express. It works with Outlook 2000, but only if I put the real e-mail address in both 'name' and 'address' Problem is: customer definitely uses Netscape. Anyone has any ideas ? Perhaps something to do with PB 10 w...

Web resources about - SaveAs : dBase not working with decimal places???!!!! - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reference: K. Higo, Y. Ugawa, M. Iwamoto and T. Korenaga (1999) Plant cis-acting regulatory DNA elements (PLACE) database:1999. Nucleic Acids ...

Where’s My Fucking Polling Place
Just in case you don’t know where to go. I laughed. [ Via Laughing Squid ] ∞ Read this on The Loop

History suggests refugees can only make Canada a better place: Joe Schlesinger
A recent poll by the Angus Reid Institute suggests almost a third of Canadians oppose the admission of Syrian refugees. But history suggests ...

Janet Yellen says economic conditions falling into place for December hike
The Fed's key short-term rate has been at a record low near zero for the past seven years

With New Editorial Strategy in Place, Upworthy Is Stacking Up Talent on the Business Side
Upworthy made a statement about its future in January when it hired well-known digital journalist Amy O'Leary away from The New York Times. ...

Dick Smith loses its place in ASX 200
Dick Smith's fall from grace has continued with the electronics retailer losing its spot in the list of the local sharemarket's 200 biggest companies. ...

It isn’t about assault weapons, it’s about access to guns in the first place
... types of guns should be banned, we should instead focus on making it harder for people who shouldn’t have access to guns in the first place ...

Find the best places to go from people who know with Spot
Whether its the weekend and you are looking for a fun place to hang out or its vacation time and you want to know the best places to eat in your ...

How nerve cells end up in the right place
... tails, called axons. Each neuron only has one axon, which connects to dendrites on other nerve cells. Sending that axon to the right place—a ...

The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die, Foxing, TTNG & Brightside @ MHOW
photos by Mimi Hong, words by Andrew Sacher TWIABP / Foxing The awesome double-billed tour of The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer ...