Save as PDF using Distill! method - Powerbuilder 10 .

I've read all the posts about Saveas PDF, but I'm still having problems.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to use the Distill method to save as PDF.
I'm using PB10.2.1 build 8035.  Windows XP.

1. I installed the Ghostscript drivers in the default location of c:\gs

2. Here's my code:

  ls_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify(
"Datawindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill!" )
  ls_result =
astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify("Datawindow.Printer='Sybase Datawindow
PS'" )
  ll_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Saveas( ls_path, pdf! , TRUE )

The return from the Saveas is -1.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Curiously, the XSLFOP method works for me
but since my report contains graphical controls (logos) I want to use the
Distill method.

Also, I notice that with the XSLFOP method, I am missing information if
trying to save a composite datawindow or a nested datawindow.  Are there
other limitations?

Thanks,
Carol

0
Carol

Carol;

    Do you remember to:

1) Add C:\GS to you renvironment's DOS path?
2) Create an environment variable: "GS_DLL"
    and map that to: "C:\gs\gs8.51\bin"

????

Regards ... Chris

"Carol Burrows" <carolb@dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote in message
> I've read all the posts about Saveas PDF, but I'm still having problems.
>
> I have been trying unsuccessfully to use the Distill method to save as
PDF.
> I'm using PB10.2.1 build 8035.  Windows XP.
>
> 1. I installed the Ghostscript drivers in the default location of c:\gs
>
> 2. Here's my code:
>
>   ls_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify(
> "Datawindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill!" )
>   ls_result =
> astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify("Datawindow.Printer='Sybase Datawindow
> PS'" )
>   ll_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Saveas( ls_path, pdf! , TRUE )
>
> The return from the Saveas is -1.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Curiously, the XSLFOP method works for
me
> but since my report contains graphical controls (logos) I want to use the
> Distill method.
>
> Also, I notice that with the XSLFOP method, I am missing information if
> trying to save a composite datawindow or a nested datawindow.  Are there
> other limitations?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

0
Chris
12/8/2005 6:39:10 PM
I just tried your suggestions.  Now I have an environment variable named
GS_DLL and I have added c:\gs to my system path.  But I still get -1 on the
SaveAs function.

Thank for the idea though.  Any other suggestions?

Carol

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message
> Carol;
>
>    Do you remember to:
>
> 1) Add C:\GS to you renvironment's DOS path?
> 2) Create an environment variable: "GS_DLL"
>    and map that to: "C:\gs\gs8.51\bin"
>
> ????
>
> Regards ... Chris
>

> "Carol Burrows" <carolb@dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote in message
>> I've read all the posts about Saveas PDF, but I'm still having problems.
>>
>> I have been trying unsuccessfully to use the Distill method to save as
> PDF.
>> I'm using PB10.2.1 build 8035.  Windows XP.
>>
>> 1. I installed the Ghostscript drivers in the default location of c:\gs
>>
>> 2. Here's my code:
>>
>>   ls_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify(
>> "Datawindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill!" )
>>   ls_result =
>> astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify("Datawindow.Printer='Sybase
>> Datawindow
>> PS'" )
>>   ll_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Saveas( ls_path, pdf! , TRUE )
>>
>> The return from the Saveas is -1.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Curiously, the XSLFOP method works for
> me
>> but since my report contains graphical controls (logos) I want to use the
>> Distill method.
>>
>> Also, I notice that with the XSLFOP method, I am missing information if
>> trying to save a composite datawindow or a nested datawindow.  Are there
>> other limitations?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Carol

0
Carol
12/8/2005 7:11:18 PM
Did the Sybase Datawindow PS printer get installed on your computer? Do
you have permission to save files in what ever location ls_path is
pointing to?

Brad

Carol Burrows wrote:
> I just tried your suggestions.  Now I have an environment variable named
> GS_DLL and I have added c:\gs to my system path.  But I still get -1 on the
> SaveAs function.
>
> Thank for the idea though.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Carol
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message
>
>>Carol;
>>
>>   Do you remember to:
>>
>>1) Add C:\GS to you renvironment's DOS path?
>>2) Create an environment variable: "GS_DLL"
>>   and map that to: "C:\gs\gs8.51\bin"
>>
>>????
>>
>>Regards ... Chris
>>

>>"Carol Burrows" <carolb@dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've read all the posts about Saveas PDF, but I'm still having problems.
>>>
>>>I have been trying unsuccessfully to use the Distill method to save as
>>
>>PDF.
>>
>>>I'm using PB10.2.1 build 8035.  Windows XP.
>>>
>>>1. I installed the Ghostscript drivers in the default location of c:\gs
>>>
>>>2. Here's my code:
>>>
>>>  ls_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify(
>>>"Datawindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill!" )
>>>  ls_result =
>>>astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify("Datawindow.Printer='Sybase
>>>Datawindow
>>>PS'" )
>>>  ll_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Saveas( ls_path, pdf! , TRUE )
>>>
>>>The return from the Saveas is -1.
>>>
>>>Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Curiously, the XSLFOP method works for
>>
>>me
>>
>>>but since my report contains graphical controls (logos) I want to use the
>>>Distill method.
>>>
>>>Also, I notice that with the XSLFOP method, I am missing information if
>>>trying to save a composite datawindow or a nested datawindow.  Are there
>>>other limitations?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Carol

0
Brad
12/8/2005 7:20:07 PM
 Did you reboot your PC afterwards?

> I just tried your suggestions.  Now I have an environment variable named
> GS_DLL and I have added c:\gs to my system path.  But I still get -1 on
the
> SaveAs function.
>
> Thank for the idea though.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Carol
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message
> > Carol;
> >
> >    Do you remember to:
> >
> > 1) Add C:\GS to you renvironment's DOS path?
> > 2) Create an environment variable: "GS_DLL"
> >    and map that to: "C:\gs\gs8.51\bin"
> >
> > ????
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> >

> > "Carol Burrows" <carolb@dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote in message
> >> I've read all the posts about Saveas PDF, but I'm still having
problems.

> >> I have been trying unsuccessfully to use the Distill method to save as
> > PDF.
> >> I'm using PB10.2.1 build 8035.  Windows XP.
> >>
> >> 1. I installed the Ghostscript drivers in the default location of c:\gs
> >>
> >> 2. Here's my code:
> >>
> >>   ls_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify(
> >> "Datawindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill!" )
> >>   ls_result =
> >> astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify("Datawindow.Printer='Sybase
> >> Datawindow
> >> PS'" )
> >>   ll_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Saveas( ls_path, pdf! ,
TRUE )

> >> The return from the Saveas is -1.
> >>
> >> Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Curiously, the XSLFOP method works
for
> > me
> >> but since my report contains graphical controls (logos) I want to use
the
> >> Distill method.
> >>
> >> Also, I notice that with the XSLFOP method, I am missing information if
> >> trying to save a composite datawindow or a nested datawindow.  Are
there
> >> other limitations?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Carol

0
Chris
12/8/2005 7:23:27 PM
We ran into a problem with an application using Ghostscript where the
temporary files generated by the postscript printer driver were getting put
in a place that the user didn't have permissions to write to.  I've
forgotten how PB's printer decides where to stick those files, but it seems
to me as though it was in the current directory.  You try forcing a
ChangeDirectory to a directory that you're sure your user has permissions
to.

> I just tried your suggestions.  Now I have an environment variable named
> GS_DLL and I have added c:\gs to my system path.  But I still get -1 on
the
> SaveAs function.
>
> Thank for the idea though.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Carol
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message
> > Carol;
> >
> >    Do you remember to:
> >
> > 1) Add C:\GS to you renvironment's DOS path?
> > 2) Create an environment variable: "GS_DLL"
> >    and map that to: "C:\gs\gs8.51\bin"
> >
> > ????
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> >

> > "Carol Burrows" <carolb@dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote in message
> >> I've read all the posts about Saveas PDF, but I'm still having
problems.

> >> I have been trying unsuccessfully to use the Distill method to save as
> > PDF.
> >> I'm using PB10.2.1 build 8035.  Windows XP.
> >>
> >> 1. I installed the Ghostscript drivers in the default location of c:\gs
> >>
> >> 2. Here's my code:
> >>
> >>   ls_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify(
> >> "Datawindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill!" )
> >>   ls_result =
> >> astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Modify("Datawindow.Printer='Sybase
> >> Datawindow
> >> PS'" )
> >>   ll_result = astr_parms.datawindow_arg[1].Saveas( ls_path, pdf! ,
TRUE )

> >> The return from the Saveas is -1.
> >>
> >> Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Curiously, the XSLFOP method works
for
> > me
> >> but since my report contains graphical controls (logos) I want to use
the
> >> Distill method.
> >>
> >> Also, I notice that with the XSLFOP method, I am missing information if
> >> trying to save a composite datawindow or a nested datawindow.  Are
there
> >> other limitations?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Carol

0
Stephanie
12/8/2005 7:41:37 PM
I did finally figure out how to do this.

We are writing to the user's temp directory that has write permissions.

I found 2 ways to make the Ghostscript work.

1. Install Ghostscript in the normal place (c:\gs) on the computer, then
REBOOT.  Powerbuilder will use the windows registry to locate the dlls.

2. Create a subfolder called gs where the powerbuilder deployment kit is
located.
    Within this subfolder you must have two subfolders:
               gs\fonts
               gs\7.0n where n is the mini version of Ghostscript.

    I was trying to use this method.  However, I had downloaded Ghostscript
version 8.15.  Therefore I created my subfolder as gs8.15.  However, it
seems that powerbuilder REQUIRES that the subfolder be a variant of gs7.0n.
By simply changing the subfolder name everything started to work.

Carol

"Brad Wery" <bradweryatagricoreunited.com> wrote in message
> Did the Sybase Datawindow PS printer get installed on your computer? Do
> you have permission to save files in what ever location ls_path is
> pointing to?
>
> Brad
>
> Carol Burrows wrote:
>> I just tried your suggestions.  Now I have an environment variable named
>> GS_DLL and I have added c:\gs to my system path.  But I still get -1 on
>> the SaveAs function.
>>
>> Thank for the idea though.  Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Carol;
>>>
>>>   Do you remember to:
>>>
>>>1) Add C:\GS to you renvironment's DOS path?
>>>2) Create an environment variable: "GS_DLL"
>>>   and map that to: "C:\gs\gs8.51\bin"
>>>
>>>????
>>>
>>>Regards ... Chris
>>>

>>>"Carol Burrows" <carolb@dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote in message

>>>PDF.

>>>me

0
Carol

save as pdf using the xsl-fo method
We are trying to create a save-to-pdf capability using the xsl-fo method described below. **>>...Building on the ability to save data as XML, PowerBuilder can also save the DataWindow object's data and presentation to PDF by generating XSL Formatting Objects (XSL-FO). This option provides a platform-independent solution by rendering the DataWindow using a Java process rather than the Microsoft GDI. It also offers the possibility of customizing the PDF file at the XSL-FO stage. Saving as PDF using XSL-FO is particularly useful if you want to print DataWindow objec...

Saving dw objects as PDF using the GNU Ghostscript distiller and PostScript printing
I get a "Save Rows As failed." error or no message (on development computer). An empty file is created. I've followed PB10.5 install document and read Application Techniques: Deployment chapter (for any hints). Installed gs860w32.exe in default directory (c:\Program Files\gs). Used the default PostScript drivers and the suggested alternate. Copied the gs directory into same directory as pbdwe105.dll. Changed path environment variable to include gs directory. Environment: Win XP pro sp2 PB 10.5 build 4523 Adobe Reader 8.1.0 Suggestions? Missing someth...

PB provide very good 'Save As' function to save to all kind of file type. How do I save a very complex (contain many nest datawindows) by using Save As function?
PB provide very good 'Save As' function to save datawindow to all kind of file format. How do I save a very complex datawindow (which contains many nest datawindows) by using Save As function? Angel Thanks The only way to save complex (nested, composite) datawindows and retain *all* the data is to save as PSReport!. This creates a .PSR file and you will need a .PSR viewer (which you can write yourself in about a day). If you're able to use 3rd party products, you can "print" the datawindow to a .PDF file. One of the more popular 3rd-party products for ...

I am using Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Tiger), Firefox Version 3.0.3; Firefox crashes half the time: File > Print > Save as PDF
Name: mike Email: m_salantatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I am using Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Tiger), Firefox Version 3.0.3; Firefox crashes half the time: File > Print > Save as PDF Comments: And the resulting PDF is a mess, it cannot be opened, and it gives no indication of damage until you try to open it. In other words, after crashing and restarting firefox several times, one can be left with a number of PDFs that are absolutely CRAP (one for each crash). There is a crash reporter which analyses this, but I am not a techie; parsing complaints seem to be ...

Webparts... Cannot save the file using image.save method of c#
Hi everyone, I am developing webparts to run on sharepoint. i am using c# for this. i dont know is this the right forum to ask this question. anyways.. i am downloading image from sql server 2000 database and displaying it in an Image control. i am using MemoryStream class for writng the byte array and then storing that memorystream in Image by using (this is not the code... just explaining what approach i am using)  System.Drawing.Image obj= Image.FormStream(MemoryStream Object). and then using the following method to save the image Image.Save(@"C:\1.tmp") Sys...

does pb 9 supports pdf distiller or pdf writer using pbni
I am trying to fix an application in pb8 that uses pdf writer or pdf 995. the program currently pops with the saveas dialog. I would like to suppress that in PB8. OR If I use PB9 can this be suppressed. I don't want to use ghost script because that leads into new issues of licensing and so on. Thanks In advance VSV ...

Save datawindow to PDF
Dear all, I'm using PB10.2.1. I have some questions regarding the above subjects. (1) Any simple method to save the DataWindow to PDF? Must I use the Ghostscript? (2) I've set following configuration during RUN TIME (without Ghostscript installed). However, the PDF cannot be saved. Is the Ghostscript must be installed? dw_1.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill! dw_1.Object.DataWindow.Printer = "PrimoPDF" dw_1.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.Distill.CustomPostScript="Yes" li_ret = dw_1.SaveAs("test.pdf", PDF!, true) (2) If Ghosts...

Datawindow save as into PDF
Hai all please help me I am using powerbuilder 11.1. ghostscript 8.6 . Post script already installed in my machine. I can see pscript5.dll, pscript.ntf,ps5ui.dll in powerbuilder ,shared driver folder. But when I am trying to save as mathod for simple datawindow with PDF file , I can see a blank pdf file. No datawndow values in that pdf file. Pleas help me to sort out this problem With very thanks Polachan I am using ghostscript version 8.6 , powerbuilder 11.1. Also I copied the the dlls in powerbuilder\drivers folder. Still when I am giving save as mathod,...

Saving Datawindow as PDF
Hello, I am using PB 11.0 build 6525, I need to save datawindow as PDF. I am not able to do this directly as I am using Ghostscript for the same. Now the problem is, it is not working with XP Service pack 3 and Vista operating systems. Can anyone help me how to solve this issue. Regards, Smith. For that very reason I avoid doing it natively like the plague. Plus when I did try it it wouldn't render graphs properly at all(older GS version though). I'm sure it's better now but I'm already bias. As an alternative I get my clients to install a 3rd party PDF to...

Datawindow save to PDF
Hi Has anyone tried to Save a datawindow in PDF format? Regards The only way I know is install the PDFwriter Driver and direct a print of DW to this Driver... "Riyaad Salasa" <riyaad@icminternational.com> wrote in message news:lujNOhthAHA.217@forums.sybase.com... > Hi > > Has anyone tried to Save a datawindow in PDF format? > > Regards > > > ...

Save As PDF Datawindow
I would like to know what it needs to insert in the packet of installation to make to work the Save As in PDF. In PB it works. Thanks Leo Have you checked the Deployment chapters of the Application Techniques manuals yet? Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 13 May 2004 06:11:23 -0700, "Allsoft" <allsoft2004@virgilio.it> wrote: >I would like to know what it needs to insert in the packet of installation >to make to work the Save As in PDF. >In PB it works. Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com Home of...

Save as PDF #10
Hi, I am using PB9.0.1 and am trying to save datawindows into a PDF format. int li_ret dw_control.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.Method = Distill! dw_control.Object.DataWindow.Printer = "Sybase DataWindow PS" dw_control.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.Distill.CustomPostScript="Yes" li_ret = dw_control.SaveAs("c:\test.pdf", PDF!, FALSE) I have the printer "Sybase DataWindow PS" already setup and have installed the GhostScript on my harddrive and this is in my PATH, but when i run the script (above) i get -1. There seems to be a number of issu...

Save datawindow as pdf
Ho can a user save the contents of a dw into a PDF file? It's built into PB 9 and above - read the documentation. For earlier versions, you have to acquire a converter (search the newsgroups for suggestions) which acts like a printer driver, switch the default printer to it, and print the DW. <Butch> wrote in message news:40910f38.5f35.1681692777@sybase.com... > Ho can a user save the contents of a dw into a PDF file? ...

Saving datawindows as PDF!
Problem with dw.SaveAs(...). It returns -1 when SaveasType! is PDF!. I use PB 10.5.1, Vista and AFPL Ghostscript 8.53, I also tried GNU Ghostscript 7.06, but no. (Works fine with XP) Does anyone know something about this? Thx in advance. Try copying the PSCRIPT5.DLL, PS5UI.DLL, and pscript.ntf files from the amd64 subdirectory in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ntprint.inf_* directory on 64-bit Vista, or the I386 subdirectory on 32-bit Vista to your Shared\PowerBuilder\drivers directory. The Vista version of these files is different. Let me know if that ma...

Print PDF (= save as PDF) on a Mac (10.5.7) with Firefox 3.6 very often faulty !!
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Print PDF (= save as PDF) on a Mac (10.5.7) with Firefox 3.6 very often faulty !! Comments: Print PDF (= Save as PDF) on a Mac (10.5.7) with Firefox 3.6 - Result very often faulty !! Try the following example (I used a Mac with 10.5.7 German and Firefox 3.6 German): Use Firefox to go to http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/whats-new.html and choose File / Print / PDF / Save as PDF Now do the same with Safari (I used v4.0.3 German) and compare the 2 PDFs - Safari-PDF 1.6 MB, 10 p, ok versus Firefox-PDF 3.1 MB, 9 p, p7&9 with cut margins !)...

Web resources about - Save as PDF using Distill! method - Powerbuilder 10 . - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles