Retrieving into Datawindow with dddw's containing arguments.

Hi.  I have a datawindow that contains two DDDW's.  The first DDDW is for
choosing the office.  The second DDDW is for choosing the person who works
for the office.  This DDDW has an argument of office_id.  It is the
"Person-Office" field that is actually updated, however this field is not
visual and is manually set when the person is selected.   The datawindow
itself also contains an argument.

When the datawindow is first opened, I am performing an insert row, so I am
retrieving first into the dddw for person, and then doing an insert row on
the datawindow.    I have also coded the clicked, itemchanged and if a new
row is inserted such that the person DDDW retrieves again based on the
office_id.  the clicked and itemchanged events that if the office changes,
the person dddw is retrieved again based on the selected office.  (If there
is already a person selected, the field is set to null.)  All of this works
great for data entry.

My problem is.....now I want the user to be able to edit data that was
already saved.

How do I retrieve existing rows into this datawindow?  The retrieval
argument for the datawindow is the Log field.  The datawindow looks
something like this, with "Office" and "Person" being dddw's.

Count    Log  Office  Person  Hours  Fund
     1           1    Acctg    Jim          2         3506
     2           1     HR       John        4         2498

I have tried many different scenarios - the closest I can get is retrieving
the correct rows, with the correct person displayed but no office displayed.

TIA,
Erin O'Leary

0
Erin

Web Datawindow & DDDW's with Retrieval Arguments
For anyone that is interested, this can be accomplished with the following. 1) Customize the HTMLGenerator component to add a method to load the dddw's before retrieving. 2) Use the SelfLink & SelfLinkArguments on the datawindow object 3) Set syntax to set the SelfLinkArguments is not simple, so beware! There will be a future article on how to implement this appearing on the SDN. -- Build Your Future With PowerBuilder 7.0 www.ctpartners.com/asp/iowa.asp Larry Cermak [Team Sybase] Corporate Technology Partners, Inc. www.ctpartners.com ...

nested datawindow's retrieval argument
Hello, everybody. I have a x datawindow with a retrieval argument "id" - number array. I have a y datawindow and I wish to put into y datawindow, the x datawindow as a nested one. To achieve that, I use a retrieval argument at the y datawindow, called dummy -- number array , also, and I tell the nested (x) to use the y's retrieval argument (dummy) as its own. But, ... it doesn't seem to work: specified retrieval arguments are invalid. Does anyone have any idea; Thanks in advance. Are you getting any error ? Try this : delete x dw and again put it again. ...

Datawindow Retrieve returning -1 after dynamically assigning Datawindow's dataobject
We are experiencing the same issues here, except that we are not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow, retrieving and getting a return code of -1 We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537 We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL 2008 Our Code choose case is_parm[1] case 'C' ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation" ........ ..... end choose idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA) ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno) The post below sounds very similar to wh...

Powerbuilder Datawindow Retrieve is unusually slow. What's wrong?
We are using powerbuilder with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5. An issue we are having is that datawindows that have records 10000+ slow down almost exponentially during a retrieve the higher amount of records there is. A 40000 record datawindow should not take 5-10 minutes to retrieve on a 1ghz machine. Have any of you experienced a similar problem? Please let me know any suggestions you have. Please email me at johnowens50@hotmail.com John Owens johnowens50@hotmail.com Two possibilities: 1) your computer is memory-starved. Is the paging rate going up as the retrieval progre...

I need to create 'on the fly' a composite datawindow with data from other datawindows without retrieve again
problem: I need to create 'on the fly' a composite datawindow including several data (reports) from other datawindows without retrieve again (the other datawindows have data from previus dw. retrieve). I want just combine all datawindows in one to print in a signle page. Is there a method to do it ? Afentakis Andreas adr@pca.com.gr You could use some of PFC's functions, or create a composite dwo, with the same dwo's attached to the reports as in the main dwo's something like this: dw_composite.Object.d_report1.DataObject = dw_data1.dataobject dw...

How do I pass a retrieval argument to a datawindow's computed field that is a user defined function in MS SQL Server 2000
This works: SELECT study.study_number, study.entrydate, dbo.f_abstract('ABC') as c_abstract FROM study This DOES NOT Work SELECT study.study_number, study.entrydate, dbo.f_abstract(:ra_code) as c_abstract FROM study I get the error Select Error SQLSTATE = 37000 I am using Powerbuilder 6.51 MS SQL Server 2000 Thanks ...

Datawindow's Date argument with PowerBuilder 8.0.1 and Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1
Hi, there: Does anybody know how to pass datetime type data from client side to server side in the datawindow? Can anybody recommend a good book about how PowerBuilder deals with Oracle, datawindow, embedded SQL? Thanks in advance. PB DateTime data type corresponds to the Oracle Date type. You can set a DateTime variable using constants, or use the Date function to make a Date from mm, dd, yy and DateTime function to convert it. What are you not finding in the PB help and online books? "sybase.working" <sybase.working@yahoomail.com> wrote in message news:eYB...

Jaguar + DataWindow.Retrieve() + retrieval argument = doesn't work
I use PB 7.0 C3 with Jaguar CTS 3.5. I have created a PB component within a Datawindow Object. In my nvo, I do a Retrieve() without parameter and all works fine. But, if I add "retrieval argument" into DataWindow and change my Retrieve() for Retrieve( argument ), I get the return code -1. Can I call a Retrieve() with argument inside a PB component ? how ? I use a connection cache. I don't know why, but is it the problem ? Any help will be appreciated ! URGENT " Dominic" <toch@moncourrier.com> wrote in message news:4rT6z9CRAHA.202@forums....

Jaguar + DataWindow.Retrieve() + retrieval argument = doesn't work
I use PB 7.0 C3 with Jaguar CTS 3.5. I have created a PB component within a Datawindow Object. In my nvo, I do a Retrieve() without parameter and all works fine. But, if I add "retrieval argument" into DataWindow and change my Retrieve() for Retrieve( argument ), I get the return code -1. Can I call a Retrieve() with argument inside a PB component ? how ? I use a connection cache. I don't know why, but is it the problem ? Any help will be appreciated ! URGENT " Dominic" <toch@moncourrier.com> wrote in message news:4rT6z9CRAHA.202@forums....

HTML datawindow's arguments
Hi, Does anybody know how to pass retrieval arguments to an HTML datawindow in a web page? Please give me some idea. Thanks! Peter ...

What's the difference between datawindow dtc and html datawindow dtc?
Hi, all. In powersite we can find some dtc activex. but what's the difference between datawindow dtc and html datawindow dtc? When should I use one and when should I use the other? Thanks. Feng Please see InstaHelp for the answer, under this topic: PowerSite Concepts and Procedures > Working in The PowerSite Client > Integrating application servers > About the HTML DataWindow DTC Regards, Jackie Feng Zhu <fzhu_genshare@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:VPM1v2syAHA.191@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, all. > &...

Setting column's property in a datawindow from composite datawindow
Hi I know this is easy but I cant get it to work. I have two datawindows controls (dw_1, dw_2) in a composite datawindow (dw_report). I want to change Text of a header column of dw_2, so I try it using: 1. GetChild and Modify ------ datawindowchild ldw_child Int li_Rtn String ls_Error dw_Report.SetTransObject ( SQLCA ) li_Rtn = dw_Report.GetChild ( "dw_2", ldw_Child ) /* This returns 1, no problem */ If li_Rtn = 1 Then ls_Error = ldw_Child.Modify ( "item_number_t.Text = ~'New Text~' ") /* ls_Error is empty string, no problem, but report do...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Datawindow GPF's on retrieve in PB
(ALSO POSTED IN powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow) We have a PB dataindow with 'Stored Procedure' as the data source. The procedure resides inside an Oracle package. When we retrieve from the datawindow painter PB starts retrieving, when it is done with the retrieval and just before it is about to show the data in the 'Preview' window PB GPF's. On further experimenting I found that this only happens if the number of rows returned is more than one. If the procedure returns just one row then the row shows up fine. What is most amazing is the fact that the sa...

Web resources about - Retrieving into Datawindow with dddw's containing arguments. - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Mother of three killed landlord after he tried to stop her retrieving her son's shirt
A mother of three has been found guilty of killing her landlord after he tried to stop her retrieving a red polo shirt her son needed for school ...

Retrieving bodies a 'horrifying' experience (01:43)
Anti-jump measures on the Story Bridge should be "fast tracked" and water police funding increased so CityCats don't have to pick up bodies. ...

Man drowns retrieving toy boat
A man has drowned after entering the Wimmera River at Horsham to retrieve a remote-controlled boat.

Bishop says there is no time limit on retrieving MH17 remains
THE Australian Federal Police have warned that it is too dangerous to approach the MH17 crash site in war-torn eastern Ukraine until security ...

Search underway for man swept away in Brisbane River while retrieving toy boat
A search is underway for a man swept away in the Brisbane River while retrieving a toy boat.

DPRK blames US for suspension of retrieving American soldiers' remains
DPRK blames US for suspension of retrieving American soldiers' remains People's Daily Online PYONGYANG, Oct. 13 The Democratic People's Republic ...

Good dog: Yankee retrieving a big Canada in a Manitoba hayfield
Good dog: Yankee retrieving a big Canada in a Manitoba hayfield

iPhone dev: Retrieving user phone numbers
... a secret to recovering user phone numbers that does not involve the … One of the most common questions I get these days has to do with retrieving ...

Girl stuck in Dover storm drain retrieving phone
A teenage girl gets stuck in a storm drain in Dover while trying to retrieve her mobile phone which had fallen into it.

Forensic investigations: Retrieving data from the cloud
... ensure that nothing is missed in the evidence gathering process, and to ensure that the investigative team doesn’t run out of time when retrieving ...