resize - hide a column on grid datawindow with PB 9.0

In previous versions of PB there was the ability in a grid
data window to resize a column. Also there was the ability
to hide a column by keeping the mouse clicked and pass to
other column but now in order to hide a column you must keep
the mouse clicked and go exactly to the begin of the column
which is very difficult. If you keep the mouse clicked and
pass to the previous column the column does not resize =96
hide. I was able to do this in previous versions of PB. My
current version is 9.0.1 build 7204.

Please give me an answer if this is a bug and if your
planning to fix it.

Best regards,

Lambrianos Lambrianou.
0
Lambrianos

Works exactly it always did.

pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
Philip Salgannik

<Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
In previous versions of PB there was the ability in a grid
data window to resize a column. Also there was the ability
to hide a column by keeping the mouse clicked and pass to
other column but now in order to hide a column you must keep
the mouse clicked and go exactly to the begin of the column
which is very difficult. If you keep the mouse clicked and
pass to the previous column the column does not resize �
hide. I was able to do this in previous versions of PB. My
current version is 9.0.1 build 7204.

Please give me an answer if this is a bug and if your
planning to fix it.

Best regards,

Lambrianos Lambrianou.

0
Philip
7/23/2004 12:58:38 PM
> Works exactly it always did.
>
> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> Philip Salgannik
>
> <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
> In previous versions of PB there was the ability in a grid
> data window to resize a column. Also there was the ability
> to hide a column by keeping the mouse clicked and pass to
> other column but now in order to hide a column you must
> keep the mouse clicked and go exactly to the begin of the
> column which is very difficult. If you keep the mouse
> clicked and pass to the previous column the column does
> not resize =96 hide. I was able to do this in previous
> versions of PB. My current version is 9.0.1 build 7204.
>
> Please give me an answer if this is a bug and if your
> planning to fix it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lambrianos Lambrianou.

I believe you didn=92t understand the problem because of my
English and I will try to describe the problem again. In a
grid data window when you want to hide a column you must go
with your mouse to the heading area and to the end of this
column where the mouse is converted to a cross, and then you
click there and you must keep the mouse clicked and go to
the beginning of the column. If you pass the beginning of
the column and you go to the previous column and then you
leave the mouse, then nothing is happen. With the previous
versions of the PB, e.g. PB 8.0 or PB 6.5 the column hided
but now with the version 9.0 in order to hide a column you
must keep the column clicked and go exactly to the beginning
of the column.

Lambrianos Lambrianou
0
Lambrianos
7/27/2004 5:55:58 AM
I see what you mean. I would say this is an improvement in the behaviour.

> Works exactly it always did.
>
> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> Philip Salgannik
>
> <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
> In previous versions of PB there was the ability in a grid
> data window to resize a column. Also there was the ability
> to hide a column by keeping the mouse clicked and pass to
> other column but now in order to hide a column you must
> keep the mouse clicked and go exactly to the begin of the
> column which is very difficult. If you keep the mouse
> clicked and pass to the previous column the column does
> not resize � hide. I was able to do this in previous
> versions of PB. My current version is 9.0.1 build 7204.
>
> Please give me an answer if this is a bug and if your
> planning to fix it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lambrianos Lambrianou.

I believe you didn�t understand the problem because of my
English and I will try to describe the problem again. In a
grid data window when you want to hide a column you must go
with your mouse to the heading area and to the end of this
column where the mouse is converted to a cross, and then you
click there and you must keep the mouse clicked and go to
the beginning of the column. If you pass the beginning of
the column and you go to the previous column and then you
leave the mouse, then nothing is happen. With the previous
versions of the PB, e.g. PB 8.0 or PB 6.5 the column hided
but now with the version 9.0 in order to hide a column you
must keep the column clicked and go exactly to the beginning
of the column.

Lambrianos Lambrianou

0
Philip
7/27/2004 12:56:36 PM
First, it is not an improvement because nothing was improved here.
Second, if you open a grid dw in the Datawindow Painter, it will still allow
you to hide columns the way described by Lambrianos Lambrianou.
So, it is rather another inconsistence in PB 9.
Igor.
"Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I see what you mean. I would say this is an improvement in the behaviour.
>

> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> Philip Salgannik
>
> <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
> > Works exactly it always did.
> >
> > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> > Philip Salgannik
> >
> > <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
> > In previous versions of PB there was the ability in a grid
> > data window to resize a column. Also there was the ability
> > to hide a column by keeping the mouse clicked and pass to
> > other column but now in order to hide a column you must
> > keep the mouse clicked and go exactly to the begin of the
> > column which is very difficult. If you keep the mouse
> > clicked and pass to the previous column the column does
> > not resize - hide. I was able to do this in previous
> > versions of PB. My current version is 9.0.1 build 7204.
> >
> > Please give me an answer if this is a bug and if your
> > planning to fix it.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Lambrianos Lambrianou.
> >

> I believe you didn't understand the problem because of my
> English and I will try to describe the problem again. In a
> grid data window when you want to hide a column you must go
> with your mouse to the heading area and to the end of this
> column where the mouse is converted to a cross, and then you
> click there and you must keep the mouse clicked and go to
> the beginning of the column. If you pass the beginning of
> the column and you go to the previous column and then you
> leave the mouse, then nothing is happen. With the previous
> versions of the PB, e.g. PB 8.0 or PB 6.5 the column hided
> but now with the version 9.0 in order to hide a column you
> must keep the column clicked and go exactly to the beginning
> of the column.
>
> Lambrianos Lambrianou

0
Igor
7/28/2004 8:40:24 PM
I beg to differ. I see a clear improvement here.
1) Previously this action ("keeping the mouse clicked and pass to other
column" ) was essentially an irreversible one from the point of view of the
user.
Not only that, but it had ambigous "affordance" - the action that was
supposed to just resize the column was also magically able to hide it
completely (irreversibly).

2) The Datawindow Painter (in PB9) behaves EXACTLY like the runtime, so I am
not sure what you mean here...

"Igor" <idavydov1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:41080f38@forums-1-dub...
> First, it is not an improvement because nothing was improved here.
> Second, if you open a grid dw in the Datawindow Painter, it will still
allow
> you to hide columns the way described by Lambrianos Lambrianou.
> So, it is rather another inconsistence in PB 9.
> Igor.
> "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I see what you mean. I would say this is an improvement in the
behaviour.

> > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> > Philip Salgannik
> >
> > <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
> > > Works exactly it always did.
> > >
> > > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> > > Philip Salgannik
> > >
> > > <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message
> > > In previous versions of PB there was the ability in a grid
> > > data window to resize a column. Also there was the ability
> > > to hide a column by keeping the mouse clicked and pass to
> > > other column but now in order to hide a column you must
> > > keep the mouse clicked and go exactly to the begin of the
> > > column which is very difficult. If you keep the mouse
> > > clicked and pass to the previous column the column does
> > > not resize - hide. I was able to do this in previous
> > > versions of PB. My current version is 9.0.1 build 7204.
> > >
> > > Please give me an answer if this is a bug and if your
> > > planning to fix it.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Lambrianos Lambrianou.
> > >

> > I believe you didn't understand the problem because of my
> > English and I will try to describe the problem again. In a
> > grid data window when you want to hide a column you must go
> > with your mouse to the heading area and to the end of this
> > column where the mouse is converted to a cross, and then you
> > click there and you must keep the mouse clicked and go to
> > the beginning of the column. If you pass the beginning of
> > the column and you go to the previous column and then you
> > leave the mouse, then nothing is happen. With the previous
> > versions of the PB, e.g. PB 8.0 or PB 6.5 the column hided
> > but now with the version 9.0 in order to hide a column you
> > must keep the column clicked and go exactly to the beginning
> > of the column.
> >
> > Lambrianos Lambrianou

0
Philip
7/29/2004 4:47:33 AM
2. I mean the Design section of the Datawindow Painter and the Preview one
behave differently.

> > First, it is not an improvement because nothing was improved here.
> > Second, if you open a grid dw in the Datawindow Painter, it will still
> allow
> > you to hide columns the way described by Lambrianos Lambrianou.
> > So, it is rather another inconsistence in PB 9.
> > Igor.
> > "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > I see what you mean. I would say this is an improvement in the
> behaviour.
> > >

> > > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> > > Philip Salgannik
> > >
> > > <Lambrianos Lambrianou> wrote in message

> > > I believe you didn't understand the problem because of my
> > > English and I will try to describe the problem again. In a
> > > grid data window when you want to hide a column you must go
> > > with your mouse to the heading area and to the end of this
> > > column where the mouse is converted to a cross, and then you
> > > click there and you must keep the mouse clicked and go to
> > > the beginning of the column. If you pass the beginning of
> > > the column and you go to the previous column and then you
> > > leave the mouse, then nothing is happen. With the previous
> > > versions of the PB, e.g. PB 8.0 or PB 6.5 the column hided
> > > but now with the version 9.0 in order to hide a column you
> > > must keep the column clicked and go exactly to the beginning
> > > of the column.
> > >
> > > Lambrianos Lambrianou

0
Igor
7/29/2004 2:17:45 PM
In PB9 neither the Design section of the Datawindow Painter
nor the Preview one allow HIDING of the column by "keeping
the mouse clicked and pass to other column".

> 2. I mean the Design section of the Datawindow Painter and
> the Preview one behave differently.
> Igor.
> "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in
> message news:41088270$1@forums-2-dub...
> > I beg to differ. I see a clear improvement here.
> > 1) Previously this action ("keeping the mouse clicked
> > and pass to other column" ) was essentially an
> irreversible one from the point of view of the
> > user.
> > Not only that, but it had ambigous "affordance" - the
> > action that was supposed to just resize the column was
> > also magically able to hide it completely
> (irreversibly). >
> > 2) The Datawindow Painter (in PB9) behaves EXACTLY like
> the runtime, so I am
> > not sure what you mean here...
> >
> > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> > Philip Salgannik
> >
> > "Igor" <idavydov1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > First, it is not an improvement because nothing was
> > > improved here. Second, if you open a grid dw in the
> > Datawindow Painter, it will still allow
> > > you to hide columns the way described by Lambrianos
> > > Lambrianou. So, it is rather another inconsistence in
> > > PB 9. Igor.
> > > "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote
> > > in message news:4106520c$1@forums-2-dub...
> > improvement in the behaviour.

> previous versions of PB. My current version is 9.0.1 build

> of the column and you go to the previous column and then
> > > column. >

0
Philip
7/29/2004 5:23:26 PM
Strange: we have PB9.0.1, build 7151 here, and I can hide columns in the
Design but not in the Preview section.
Igor.
<Philip Salgannik> wrote in message
> In PB9 neither the Design section of the Datawindow Painter
> nor the Preview one allow HIDING of the column by "keeping
> the mouse clicked and pass to other column".
>
> > 2. I mean the Design section of the Datawindow Painter and
> > the Preview one behave differently.
> > Igor.
> > "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in
> > message news:41088270$1@forums-2-dub...
> > > I beg to differ. I see a clear improvement here.
> > > 1) Previously this action ("keeping the mouse clicked
> > > and pass to other column" ) was essentially an
> > irreversible one from the point of view of the
> > > user.
> > > Not only that, but it had ambigous "affordance" - the
> > > action that was supposed to just resize the column was
> > > also magically able to hide it completely
> > (irreversibly). >
> > > 2) The Datawindow Painter (in PB9) behaves EXACTLY like
> > the runtime, so I am
> > > not sure what you mean here...
> > >
> > > pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> > > Philip Salgannik
> > >
> > > "Igor" <idavydov1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Datawindow Painter, it will still allow
> > > improvement in the behaviour.

> > previous versions of PB. My current version is 9.0.1 build

> > of the column and you go to the previous column and then

0
Igor
7/30/2004 1:47:22 PM
I=92m waiting an answer from Sybase support,
please give an answer.
0
Lambrianos
8/11/2004 11:19:08 AM
If you want answers from Sybase support, you need to open a case
through CaseXpress.  The newsgroups are a peer (user to user) support
mechanism.

On 11 Aug 2004 04:19:08 -0700, Lambrianos Lambrianou wrote:

>I�m waiting an answer from Sybase support,
>please give an answer.

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

Vote for PocketBuilder in the Mobile Village awards
http://www.mobilevillage.com/awards.htm

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has mutliple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
8/11/2004 12:45:53 PM
Well, technically not even that guarantees an answer (or at least a
quick one).  For urgent support questions, you should always open a
case with 1-800-8-SYBASE.

On 11 Aug 2004 05:45:53 -0700, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> wrote:

>If you want answers from Sybase support, you need to open a case
>through CaseXpress.  The newsgroups are a peer (user to user) support
>mechanism.
>
>On 11 Aug 2004 04:19:08 -0700, Lambrianos Lambrianou wrote:
>
>>I�m waiting an answer from Sybase support,
>>please give an answer.
>
>Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>http://www.teamsybase.com
>
>TeamSybase blogs:
>http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs
>
>Vote for PocketBuilder in the Mobile Village awards
>http://www.mobilevillage.com/awards.htm
>
>Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
>http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups
>
>Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
>http://www.codexchange.sybase.com
>
>Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of Assisi
>http://www.needhim.org

>DISCLAIMER:
>
>This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
>is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
>message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
>that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
>it may not.
>
>Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
>of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
>Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
>products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
>views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
>author has mutliple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
>of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.

0
Jim
8/11/2004 2:32:59 PM
Sorry, I should clarify that.  If you have a support plan with Sybase
then CaseXpress is equivalent to calling in a case, but if you are
using the 'free' support services of CaseXpress, then there is no
guarantee of a response from Sybase, so in general you should only
report bugs and enhancement there.