Problem with sqlpreview with dw using stored procedure update in PB7

pb7 documentation states that returning a value of 2 in
sqlpreview event of a datawindow, skips the executing of the
current sql statement.  however, it seems that this is
ignored if your datawindow uses stored procedure update. the
stored procedure gets executed regardless of the return
value.  can anyone please help me how should i correct this?
thanks in advance.
0
Jed

> pb7 documentation states that returning a value of 2 in
> sqlpreview event of a datawindow, skips the executing of
> the current sql statement.  however, it seems that this is
> ignored if your datawindow uses stored procedure update.
> the stored procedure gets executed regardless of the
> return value.  can anyone please help me how should i
> correct this? thanks in advance.

From Help on SQLPreview event (DataWindows):

2 (two)  Skip this request and execute the NEXT request

0  Continue processing
1  Stop processing
0
Philip

DW using stored procedure updates has problems when using ole-db
I'm still suffering in trying to use OLE-Db for my application rather than MSSQL driver. here is my Stored Proc parameter definition ALTER PROCEDURE usp_vtk_program_insert @program_id int OUTPUT, @program_grp_id int, @program_name varchar(50), @program_type_id int, @manufacturer_id int, @start_date datetime, @end_date datetime, @locked_ind int, @active_ind int, @contact_fname varchar(50)= NULL, @contact_lname varchar(50) =NULL, @contact_address1 varchar(50) =NULL, @contact_address2 varchar(50) =NULL, @contact_city varchar(50) =NULL, @contact_state varchar(2) =NULL...

Update DW using stored procedure in PB7
Has anyone tried this? I'm running PB7.0.2 and Oracle 8.0.5. I've assigned a stored procedure for update. PB sends the stored procedure as "EXECUTE SCHEMA.UPDATE_TABLE;0", which gives an error saying "unidentified symbol 0". Please let me know if you've got it working. Regards ...

PB7 datawindow updates using stored procedures
Hi All, When using stored procedures to perform insert, update and deletes using the datawindow. The datawindow painter seems to save the argument properties for the stored procedures incorrectly. The datawindow painter saves all new/output arguments as input/original?!!! The work around for this is to export the datawindow object and edit the file manually. This seems to work fine but is quite time consuming. The other problem I'm having is when using the following datasource SQL statement. select col1, col2, "" as foo, 0 as ...

Update DW using stored procedure in PB7
Has anyone tried this? I'm running PB7.0.2 and Oracle 8.0.5. I've assigned a stored procedure for update. PB sends the stored procedure as "EXECUTE SCHEMA.UPDATE_TABLE;0", which gives an error saying "unidentified symbol 0". Please let me know if you've got it working. Regards ...

PB7: Datawindows using Stored Procedures w/ cursor problem
I have tried to preview a datawindow that calls a stored procedure with a cursor. It does not return any results. When I ran the same DW in PB6.5 it returned results. A colleague of mine has also tried this on a similar "datawindow using a stored procedure w/ a cursor" with the same results. I can be contacted at dennisb@bestnet.com or dennisb@gsc-utah.com Dennis Bledsoe On Wed, 5 May 1999 14:41:28 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database Dennis Bledsoe <dennisb@gsc-utah.com> wrote: >I have tried to preview a datawindow that calls a stored pro...

Using pfc_Save Event to Update a DataWindow using Stored Procedures (Re-Post)
I'm re-posting this question if hopes of getting a qualified response: I'm using a datawindow utilizing a stored procedure as its' datasource. The datawindow also uses stored procedures for Insert, Update, & Delete. I use the pfc_Save event of the Parent window to update all SUO's on that window. Eventually, the of_Update( ) function of the datawindow control, inherited from u_dw, will be executed. I've read that the datawindow control knows which operation to perform, Update or Insert, based on the ItemStatus of the row or column in the datawindow. For som...

Problem in updating a stored procedure datawindow
Hi I am facing a problem while updating stored procedure datawindow. I am using PB 9 and MSSQL Server 7.0. The Stored Procedure which is fired for inserting into a table , a trigger is written on this table. Last line of trigger is creating problem is as follows - UPDATETEXT Keane_Log.details @ptrval NULL 0 WITH LOG @tmp When dw_1.Update() is issued it is giving following error - SQLDBCODE 999 ERRTEXT - Number of parameter do not agree When the above mentioned line is commented in trigger and dw_update() is fired then it is successfully updating data. Alternatively if datawin...

Problems using Stored Procedures for updates
Hi I'm having a problem when trying to issue an UpdateData method. The datawindow is retrieved fine via a SP. If you update a value and issue an UpdateData then the following error is generated System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at ..... I've defined a Stored Procedure Update entry for the Update statement, so I'm now at a bit of a loss !! Jon ...

PB7 Datawindow using stored procedure
I have inherited a system which uses Stored Procedures for a number of the datawindow retrieves. Under PB6.5 I could determine which stored procedure was being used by using the SQL toolbar button. Under PB7 I have not been able to find any way to determine the name of the stored procedure. It has to be there - I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks in Advance - Bob Bob On the Column Specifications tab, right-click and select Stored Procedure. Good Luck Michael Walker Cascadia Software Bob Gardner wrote: > I have inherited a system which uses ...

Using Stored Procedures for Datawindow updates
We have an application that is running very slowly over our LAN and we are at looking at using Stored Procedures where possible to cut down on the network 'chatter'. What's the best way to do datawindow updates with Stored Procedures or is it even a good way to do it? What is happening is that we are updating multiple datawindows and waiting for the udpate return code from each update before issueing the next update. If all are successfull, we issue the commit, otherwise we roll back. The problem is that since we haven't issued the commit/rollback, the ro...

DW update using stored procedure
I am little new to stored procedure but.. here's my question: I want to send multiple rows for update using a stored procedure. But I want all rows to be updated as one logical unit of work. For example, I may want all of the following as one transaction: 1. Delete row #1 2. Update row # 2. 3. Insert a new row. What do I pass to the stored procedure? Do I have to call the stored procedure 3 times in above example? If I call it 3 times, how do I tell the sp when to commit? TIA Jennifer Peters So the commits and rollbacks are done from PB and not by stored pr...

Datawindow Update Using Stored Procedure
I receive an error when calling GetFullState with a dataobject. The object uses a stored procedure for update and also uses a different stored procedure for retrieval. The retrieval appears to work and return rows, but then when GetFullState is called the following message is received: Error Message: Line 34 Column 161 incorrect syntax ...

Updateable Datawindow when using Stored Procedure
Is it possible to allow a user to update data in a datawindow if it's been populated using a stored procedure? This is what I found in PB help files ... but the "however" part is not explained ... can anyone help out? I would prefer to use stored procedures for all database communications. "DataWindow updates You cannot perform DataWindow updates through stored procedures (that is, you cannot update the database with changes made in the DataWindow object); only retrieval is allowed. (However, the DataWindow can have update characteristics set manually throu...

Datawindow using a store procedure on update
Hi there, Being new to strore procedure datawindow, can someone guide me with the following problem. I have a datawindow from which the retireve is a strore procedure ALTER PROCEDURE DBA."retrieve" begin select abc.app_user.user_id, abc.app_user.employee_id, abc.app_user.user_status_type_id, abc.app_user.user_name, abc.app_user.user_pwd, abc.app_user.user_language_id, abc.app_user.pwd_expiry_date from abc.app_user, end I have no problem constructing the datawindow and associating it to the SP. Where my difficulties start is whe...

Web resources about - Problem with sqlpreview with dw using stored procedure update in PB7 - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow