Problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type DataWindow.

PB 7.02 Build 8046 on Windows NT 4.0

I have a problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type
DataWindow.

One of the columns in my DataWindow is presenting a selection, limited
(filtered) according to what the user has selected in a previous column (on
the same DataWindow). The Drop Down DataWindow is not displaying the raw
data (an abbreviated code), but an English text translation of the data
needed. Here is my problem:

When the DataWindow is activated, all data are correctly displayed (no
filtering yet). When the user clicks on one of the rows and on the column,
which has the Drop Down DataWindow, the user is correctly represented with
the (English text) filtered subset of the relevant data. Already now, but
also after the user selects one of the displayed choices, some of the other
data of the same column (in different rows) are now displaying the
abbreviated code and not any longer the English text! Analyzing the problem,
it is clear that the filtering takes place on all the DataWindow and not
alone on the Drop Down Child DataWindow. Where the other rows have data,
which is not present in the current filtering, no "translation" into English
text takes place.

In an attempt to solve the problem, I tried to turn the filtering off after
the user has selected an entry on the Drop Down DataWindow, but to no luck.
I have also tried to refresh the current window, but all attempts rested in
vain.

This is how I coded it:

This is coded in the parent DataWindow "clicked event":
if dw_1.GetClickedColumn() = 3 then
// This is the column with the DDDW
 sResult = dw_1.GetChild("lf_dddw_type", ldwc_dddw)        // Get a handle
to the DDDW
 ldwc_dddw.settransobject(SQLCA)
 sMuntype = dw_1.GetItemString(i_Row, "lf_filter_type")   // Get the value
on which we are going to filter on
 sResult = ldwc_dddw.setfilter("#3 = '"+ sMuntype +"'")       // Set filter
value on the DDDW column
 ldwc_dddw.filter()              // Filter on
end if

This is coded in the parent datawindow "ItemChanged event" (but in reality,
it had no effect):
dw_1.GetChild("lf_dddw_type", ldwc_ dddw)
dw_1.SetRedraw(false)
dw_1.setfilter("")                         // Turn off filtering
dw_1.filter()
dw_1.SetRedraw(true)

Who has an explanation and a solution. Thanks in advance.

0
John

It is so that when you change the contents of the dddw, it changes for all
the rows in your datawindow.
One way to solve this, is to create a computed column, in which you copy
the displayvalue of the selected code (itemchanged event). Hide/show the
computed column and the column with the dddw depending on the row having
focus or not.

HTH,

Johan.
0
Johan
1/23/2001 12:50:59 PM
http://www.consultccs.com/downloads/MultiDDDW/DDDW.html

--
This is a FAQ, read Help, then search www.deja.com

pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
Philip Salgannik

"John Gunthel" <guntheljo@sce.nato.int> wrote in message
> PB 7.02 Build 8046 on Windows NT 4.0
>
> I have a problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type
> DataWindow.
>
> One of the columns in my DataWindow is presenting a selection, limited
> (filtered) according to what the user has selected in a previous column
(on
> the same DataWindow). The Drop Down DataWindow is not displaying the raw
> data (an abbreviated code), but an English text translation of the data
> needed. Here is my problem:
>
> When the DataWindow is activated, all data are correctly displayed (no
> filtering yet). When the user clicks on one of the rows and on the column,
> which has the Drop Down DataWindow, the user is correctly represented with
> the (English text) filtered subset of the relevant data. Already now, but
> also after the user selects one of the displayed choices, some of the
other
> data of the same column (in different rows) are now displaying the
> abbreviated code and not any longer the English text! Analyzing the
problem,
> it is clear that the filtering takes place on all the DataWindow and not
> alone on the Drop Down Child DataWindow. Where the other rows have data,
> which is not present in the current filtering, no "translation" into
English
> text takes place.
>
> In an attempt to solve the problem, I tried to turn the filtering off
after
> the user has selected an entry on the Drop Down DataWindow, but to no
luck.
> I have also tried to refresh the current window, but all attempts rested
in
> vain.
>
> This is how I coded it:
>
> This is coded in the parent DataWindow "clicked event":
> if dw_1.GetClickedColumn() = 3 then
> // This is the column with the DDDW
>  sResult = dw_1.GetChild("lf_dddw_type", ldwc_dddw)        // Get a handle
> to the DDDW
>  ldwc_dddw.settransobject(SQLCA)
>  sMuntype = dw_1.GetItemString(i_Row, "lf_filter_type")   // Get the value
> on which we are going to filter on
>  sResult = ldwc_dddw.setfilter("#3 = '"+ sMuntype +"'")       // Set
filter
> value on the DDDW column
>  ldwc_dddw.filter()              // Filter on
> end if
>
> This is coded in the parent datawindow "ItemChanged event" (but in
reality,
> it had no effect):
> dw_1.GetChild("lf_dddw_type", ldwc_ dddw)
> dw_1.SetRedraw(false)
> dw_1.setfilter("")                         // Turn off filtering
> dw_1.filter()
> dw_1.SetRedraw(true)
>

> Who has an explanation and a solution. Thanks in advance.

0
Philip
1/23/2001 3:28:20 PM
Philip Salgannik wrote:

> http://www.consultccs.com/downloads/MultiDDDW/DDDW.html
>
> --
There is a lot of information in this link!  However it was
written for older versions of PB.  I t mentions 'unsupported dw events'
which are now supported.
You probably have a standard event mapped to pbm_dwmdropdown.

Heare is an example of using it, which be helpful along with the
other information in the link:

// Constructor event of dw_1  script:
//  initialize the dwChild Window instance variable:
rc = dw_1.GetChild( 'receiving_po_no', idwc_pono )
if rc < 1 then
	messagebox( 'Datawindow Problem', 'Unable to get a handle for the PO NO drop
down list')
end if
//////////////////////////////////////

//  DROPDOWN   event of dw_1 script:
integer rc
long	ll_row

string ls_SKU, ls_vendorNo

ll_row = this.Rowcount()

if ll_row < 1 then	return 0

ls_sku = 	dw_1.object.receiving_sku[ ll_row ]
ls_vendorNo = 	dw_1.object.receiving_vendor_no[ ll_row ]

if isNull(ls_sku) then ls_sku = ''
if isNull(ls_vendorNo) then ls_vendorNo = ''

rc = idwc_pono.SetFilter("vendor_no = '"+ ls_vendorNo +" ' and po_item_sku = '"
+ ls_sku + "' ")
idwc_pono.Filter()

return 0

///  This filters the dddw just before it drops down.

Dunk
0
Pete
1/23/2001 5:29:50 PM
Everything in it still stands...

"Pete Dunkelberg" <pdunkel@magicnet.net> wrote in message

> Philip Salgannik wrote:
> >
> > http://www.consultccs.com/downloads/MultiDDDW/DDDW.html
> >
> > --
> There is a lot of information in this link!  However it was
> written for older versions of PB.  I t mentions 'unsupported dw events'
> which are now supported.
> You probably have a standard event mapped to pbm_dwmdropdown.
>
> Heare is an example of using it, which be helpful along with the
> other information in the link:
>

> // Constructor event of dw_1  script:
> //  initialize the dwChild Window instance variable:
> rc = dw_1.GetChild( 'receiving_po_no', idwc_pono )
> if rc < 1 then
> messagebox( 'Datawindow Problem', 'Unable to get a handle for the PO NO
drop
> down list')
> end if
> //////////////////////////////////////
>
> //  DROPDOWN   event of dw_1 script:
> integer rc
> long ll_row
>
> string ls_SKU, ls_vendorNo
>
> ll_row = this.Rowcount()
>
> if ll_row < 1 then return 0
>

> ls_sku = dw_1.object.receiving_sku[ ll_row ]
> ls_vendorNo = dw_1.object.receiving_vendor_no[ ll_row ]
>
> if isNull(ls_sku) then ls_sku = ''
> if isNull(ls_vendorNo) then ls_vendorNo = ''
>
> rc = idwc_pono.SetFilter("vendor_no = '"+ ls_vendorNo +" ' and po_item_sku
= '"
> + ls_sku + "' ")
> idwc_pono.Filter()
>
> return 0
>
> ///  This filters the dddw just before it drops down.
>
> Dunk

0
Philip

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Datawindows with child datawindows

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

Drop down datawindow within a datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Please post this question ...

Drop Down Datawindow issues in Datawindow
We recently moved from version 8.0.3 9704 to 8.0.3 9977. Since this move we have had nothing but grief with DropDownDatawindow style columns. Basically - we have columns that are dropdowns that the user can enter their values into or, scroll down and select from. We then have code that verifies that the value entered in the column exists in the drop down list (i.e. is the data entered by the user valid). When we get the value from the column (using either dot notation or, getitem functions) PB is giving us the display value for the drop down NOT the code value. SOMETIMES whe...

Drop down datawindow within datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Generally, the steps are: ...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

datawindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Web resources about - Problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type DataWindow. - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo