Powerbuilder 6.5 & SQL-server 6.5 <> 7.0

Hi everyone,

I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5
Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment to 
a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS 7.0

This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are larger 
than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char).

When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error message 
'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...'

I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference 
(larger fields) where the program doesn't report the error.

Does this sound familiar to someone ?
Thx for helping ...
Jurgen.
0
Jurgen_Cauwenbergh
6/13/2001 2:18:28 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow 28057 articles. 4 followers. Follow

6 Replies
837 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

1) If you are using native drivers to connect to MS SQS 7, do not create
columns of type char() or varchar() > 255
2) The error might come of a different way of padding char/varchar columns
between SQL 6.5 and SQS 7.

When you compare results between SQLS 7 and SQS 6.5, do both
server/databases have the same data?

I ask this question because I'm not sure your 'Data conversion resulted in
overflow ...' error comes from SQS 7:
Let say you have in your db a char() column of size 40.  Also, the
corresponding colum in your datawindow is size only for 30 chars.
You will get an overflow error only if a row has more than 30 chars.  If all
the rows have a column made of <= 30 chars, you will not get the error.

To force PB to reevaluate the column sizes is painful.  Here is what I do:
    1. Open datawindow object
    2. Go to the painter displaying the SQL supporting the datawindow
    3. Add a fake column or computed field (generally I just type 1 in the
1st computed field available in the list).
    4. Quit SQL painter and go back to the main datawindow design painter
    5. Go back to the painter displaying the SQL
    6. Undo the change you did in 3.
    7. Go back to main datawindow design painter
    8. Save
Step 3. is very important.  Things can get even more complicated if your
datawindow has modified update properties...

If you know a better way of doing it please let me know.

Xavier
If somebody knows a better way,
<Jurgen_Cauwenbergh> wrote in message
news:A20368F64D1DD64D004E984985256A6A.004E985785256A6A@webforums...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5
> Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment to
> a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS
7.0
>
> This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are
larger
> than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char).
>
> When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error
message
> 'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...'
>
> I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference
> (larger fields) where the program doesn't report the error.
>
> Does this sound familiar to someone ?
> Thx for helping ...
> Jurgen.


0
Xavier
6/13/2001 3:54:30 PM
if you have varchar columns greater than 255 then you need to change the sql
in your datawindows to say cast(yourcolumn as text) as yourcolumn. That way
the limit is increased to 32,000.

an easier way to get PB to accept your dw changes is to add a space anywhere
in the SQL then save it. Thus, you don't have to add the dummy column. This
applies only if you choose to have SQL as syntax in the datawindow (I pretty
much always do...)

--
Kim Berghall
Sisu Group, Inc.
remove no_spam.
no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com
www.sisugrp.com

"Xavier Colmant" <xcolmant@powerir.com> wrote in message
news:SUf4hRC9AHA.85@forums.sybase.com...
> 1) If you are using native drivers to connect to MS SQS 7, do not create
> columns of type char() or varchar() > 255
> 2) The error might come of a different way of padding char/varchar columns
> between SQL 6.5 and SQS 7.
>
> When you compare results between SQLS 7 and SQS 6.5, do both
> server/databases have the same data?
>
> I ask this question because I'm not sure your 'Data conversion resulted in
> overflow ...' error comes from SQS 7:
> Let say you have in your db a char() column of size 40.  Also, the
> corresponding colum in your datawindow is size only for 30 chars.
> You will get an overflow error only if a row has more than 30 chars.  If
all
> the rows have a column made of <= 30 chars, you will not get the error.
>
> To force PB to reevaluate the column sizes is painful.  Here is what I do:
>     1. Open datawindow object
>     2. Go to the painter displaying the SQL supporting the datawindow
>     3. Add a fake column or computed field (generally I just type 1 in the
> 1st computed field available in the list).
>     4. Quit SQL painter and go back to the main datawindow design painter
>     5. Go back to the painter displaying the SQL
>     6. Undo the change you did in 3.
>     7. Go back to main datawindow design painter
>     8. Save
> Step 3. is very important.  Things can get even more complicated if your
> datawindow has modified update properties...
>
> If you know a better way of doing it please let me know.
>
> Xavier
> If somebody knows a better way,
> <Jurgen_Cauwenbergh> wrote in message
> news:A20368F64D1DD64D004E984985256A6A.004E985785256A6A@webforums...
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5
> > Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment
to
> > a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS
> 7.0
> >
> > This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are
> larger
> > than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char).
> >
> > When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error
> message
> > 'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...'
> >
> > I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference
> > (larger fields) where the program doesn't report the error.
> >
> > Does this sound familiar to someone ?
> > Thx for helping ...
> > Jurgen.
>
>


0
Kim
6/13/2001 6:18:56 PM
"Kim Berghall" <kberghall@sisugrp.com> wrote in message
news:IA0qshD9AHA.85@forums.sybase.com...
> if you have varchar columns greater than 255 then you need to change the
sql
> in your datawindows to say cast(yourcolumn as text) as yourcolumn. That
way
> the limit is increased to 32,000.
>
> an easier way to get PB to accept your dw changes is to add a space
anywhere
> in the SQL then save it. Thus, you don't have to add the dummy column.
This
> applies only if you choose to have SQL as syntax in the datawindow (I
pretty
> much always do...)
>
Kim,

Thanks for your tips, although your way of forcing PB to reassess the column
lenghts is still lenghty...  Anybody knows a faster trick?

Xavier


0
Xavier
6/14/2001 12:47:13 PM
There is none... but my solution is very quick and easy to do...

--
Kim Berghall
Sisu Group, Inc.
remove no_spam.
no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com
www.sisugrp.com

"Xavier Colmant" <xcolmant@powerir.com> wrote in message
news:xe8dkNN9AHA.301@forums.sybase.com...
> "Kim Berghall" <kberghall@sisugrp.com> wrote in message
> news:IA0qshD9AHA.85@forums.sybase.com...
> > if you have varchar columns greater than 255 then you need to change the
> sql
> > in your datawindows to say cast(yourcolumn as text) as yourcolumn. That
> way
> > the limit is increased to 32,000.
> >
> > an easier way to get PB to accept your dw changes is to add a space
> anywhere
> > in the SQL then save it. Thus, you don't have to add the dummy column.
> This
> > applies only if you choose to have SQL as syntax in the datawindow (I
> pretty
> > much always do...)
> >
> Kim,
>
> Thanks for your tips, although your way of forcing PB to reassess the
column
> lenghts is still lenghty...  Anybody knows a faster trick?
>
> Xavier
>
>


0
Kim
6/14/2001 3:39:48 PM
Thank you both for all the answers.

I thought it was something like that, but hoped that there was another 
(quicker) solution for it - because there are hundreds of dw to be changed.

There are 4 different servers (2 of them have SQS 6.5 and 2 of them have 
SQS 7)

There is a table which has a field with a length that is different on each 
server ( char(30), char(35), char(40) and char(45) )

I once changed this quickly (I'm a bit lazy) when the users requested more 
characters for that field.

But now I have changed the fields all the same size on each server to 
char(50), but now I need to update all my datawindows to accept the 50-char 
length

Thx !
0
Jurgen_Cauwenbergh
6/15/2001 9:59:33 AM
There is still another "gotcha" that you might have to check in addition to
open the SQL painter and make a dummy modification. You may have to check
the edit limit field. You should be alright if it says 0 (limited to the
field length), but if it says 35 or 40 then you need to change it to 50.
Otherwise the users will not be able to enter 50 chars...

This is one of those, "just bite the bullet and do it" things...

--
Kim Berghall
Sisu Group, Inc.
remove no_spam.
no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com
www.sisugrp.com
<Jurgen_Cauwenbergh> wrote in message
news:1AA7A84A8E7CCAE60036E42C85256A6C.005A63F185256A6B@webforums...
> Thank you both for all the answers.
>
> I thought it was something like that, but hoped that there was another
> (quicker) solution for it - because there are hundreds of dw to be
changed.
>
> There are 4 different servers (2 of them have SQS 6.5 and 2 of them have
> SQS 7)
>
> There is a table which has a field with a length that is different on each
> server ( char(30), char(35), char(40) and char(45) )
>
> I once changed this quickly (I'm a bit lazy) when the users requested more
> characters for that field.
>
> But now I have changed the fields all the same size on each server to
> char(50), but now I need to update all my datawindows to accept the
50-char
> length
>
> Thx !


0
Kim
6/15/2001 4:23:55 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

PowerBuilder Upgrade 5.0 -> 6.0/6.5 for PowerFrame?
Has anyone upgraded PowerFrame (Metasolv's old framework) from PB 5.0 to PB 6.0/6.5? Did you run into any major problems? ANY upgrade advice (PowerFrame or not) would be appreciated. Should I just wait for 7.0? What's the latest on its release? Please respond here or email to eleuschner@levi.com. Thanks in advance, Ellen (The last living person not using PFC. IT'S NOT MY CHOICE!) Ellen, Have you tried calling MetaSolv? I know that they dropped support for PowerFrame in favor of Cornerstone but they may still be willing to help. Rey Bango Team Powersoft.....

Netware 5.0+Groupwise 6.0 -->> Netware 6.0+Groupwise 6.5
Hi. We've got a Netware 5.0 server running Groupwise 6.0 and we would like to upgrade it to Netware 6.0 with Groupwise 6.5. What's the safest way of doing this? We've got a spare server where we can dump things temporarily. Should we upgrade Groupwise first or Netware? Thanks... Scott Le Brun Computer Operations Co-ordinator Mount Scopus Memorial College slebrun@no-spam.scopus.vic.edu.au: > Should we upgrade Groupwise first or Netware? Personally, I'd upgrade Netware first, make sure GW works in it's current config and then upgrade GW....

Calling a MS-SQL-Server 6.5 StoredProcedure from PowerBuilder 6.0
Does anyone know if there is a difference from PB 5.0 to PB 6.0 in the native MSS SQL-Server driver by calling StoredProcedures with OUTPUT arguments. I do have the following problem: - I've got a StoredProcedures with a char, varchar(50) or even with a datetime OUTPUT argument. - In PowerBuilder I do: DECLARE sp_test PROCEDURE FOR schsp_test_char @psReturn = :sReturn OUTPUT USING SQLCA; EXECUTE sp_test; FETCH sp_test into :sReturn; CLOSE sp_test; - If I execute this statement I get the following error: Implicit conversion from datatype 'varch...

ASA and PowerBuilder 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0
I am currently running PB 5.0 with an Oracle 7.3 database. However, there is a great demand for our remote users to gain access to the app. Therefore, I was looking into using ASA to deploy to our remote users. The problem is that stored procedures are not supported with the run-time version of the database engine that gets deployed with the deployment kit. My question is: Does PB 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 and/or deployment kit allow the run-time engine to support stored procedures. If not, what are some alternatives? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. >My ...

Connectivity of PowerBuilder 6.5 and SQL Server 7.0
Hi Guys, I need help regarding connectivity with PB 6.5 and SQL Ser. 7.0. I am getting an error message "DBMS MS Sql Server ... not supported in current installation' or 'Unable to load the requested database interface". I have required files for both the system and for PB i.e., NTWDBLIB.DLL PBMSS60.DLL but still i am not able to connect to the database. Please help. Regards, MS Check the sybase site, there is useful infor about the matter. Good Luck, Alessandro Barbieri "mahesh" <mahesh.shah@codecindia.com> wrote in message new...

PowerBuilder 5.0.03 & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null...

PowerBuilder 5.0.03 & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null...

MS SQL 6.5 and PowerBuilder 6.5
I have an application in PB6.5 that interfaces with MSSQL 6.5 database. I can run this app WITHIN PB to make a connection the database and retrieve data without a problem, but after I built the EXE file and trying to run from that EXE file, I get a "-1" as the return code from the SetTransObject statement. Sample code is like : datastore lds_datastore lds_datastore = CREATE datastore lds_datastore.DataObject = "d_test" li_return = lds_datastore.SetTransObject(SQLCA) The d_test datawindow object consists of a simple SQL SELECT statement. Has anyone seen this ...

Win2k3 Server, Novell 6.5 SBS server, Groupwise 5.5 -> Groupwise 6.5
I have a client that just recently implemented a Win2k3 server as their "main" file server. They are also currently running an old NW 4.2 SBS box with Groupwise 5.5 and we are replacing that with a new box running NW 6.5 and GW6.5 ( the users are currently authenticating to *both* servers ). Note that they will only use the NW box for Groupwise - absolutely nothing else. Given that, I have a few questions: 1. Should I remove the Novell client from each user's computer and let Groupwise handle the saving of passwords? It seems like having the Novell client is just ad...

SQL 6.5 + PowerBuilder 6.0
Hi, I would like to know if there will be performance (or other) problems if I run the SQL server with client written by PowerBuilder on a machine using NT4 server. Will it be stable enough or I must have the client and server separate. Thanks for your help. Hello, MK... Based on my experience, this is what we are having in some production environments in our company. In one example, we are having a user who has a PowerBuilder 6.0 client application with a SQL Server together on a single machine, with NT 4 Workstation installed. If the machine is having 64 MB, there is no p...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

Stored procedures,MSS Sql Server 7.0, and Powerbuilder 6.5
I have a stored procedure that performs an update of a table based upon two input values, a "char(12)" and an "int" type. When running this update inside SQL Server 7.0, it works. However, when I run it in my Powerbuilder application, I get the error "Invalid character value for cast specification", as though I have some data type compatability error. I checked my code and everything seems appropriately typed. Also, it seemed that when I was using SQL Server 6.5, everything worked fine. Any insights out there? There was a bug reported with numeric dat...

How do i upgrade PowerBuilder 5.0's native driver for MS SQL Server 6.5?
If you have the 5.0.04 patches, you have the latest stuff that I know of. Tech Support might have something as a private EBF, but you would have to contact them directly to determine that. Are you having a particular problem with the drivers you have now? On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:38:18 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database A-B-C <a-b-c@163.net> wrote: > --- Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS] | Romac/Source International mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com | http://www.romac-sou...

PowerBuilder 4.0.3 & MS SQL server 6.5
From Enrique Rosales, Unisys Uruguay. Please, I need to know if is it compatible PowerBuilder 4.0.03 with Microsoft SQL Server 6.5? Thanks for your help. email: enriquerosales@unn.unisys.com >Please, I need to know if is it compatible PowerBuilder 4.0.03 with >Microsoft SQL Server 6.5? >Thanks for your help. > With the native drivers, I don't believe so. PB4.03 was compatible with MS SQL 6.0 with native drivers. When 6.5 came out, there were problems that were not fixed until I believe 4.07 (check with PS support to be sure about the release). Larry Cerm...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder 6.5 & SQL-server 6.5 <> 7.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

PowerBuilder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PowerBuilder is an integrated development environment owned by Sybase , a division of SAP . It has been in use since 1991, peaking around 1998 ...

Sybase PowerBuilder tool readied for Microsoft's .Net
... Win32 or newer style .Net development After several years of work, Sybase is ready to deliver on the final step in its plan to move PowerBuilder ...

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Open Directory - Computers: Programming: Languages
about dmoz - dmoz blog - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Programming/Languages Description Top : Computers : Programming ...

The HP Booth Staff (Goons) Owe Me an Apology
... when you might need to use it. For instance, when I was in the WinRunner world there were plugins for driving terminal emulators and powerbuilder ...

Contact Us - Sybase Inc
Thanks for visiting the 主页 section of Sybase.com. Here you will find information about Contact Us. For more information about Business Intelligence, ...

热门搜索 - 我的异常网
... 我的异常网 » 热门搜索 sdpnet2 移动【A111】其它用户原因鉴权失败,是什么意思啊 http:// 192.168.1.102:22578 本网站服务器位于美国,受美国法律保护 MiniUI js 破解 http://192.168.1.103:8080/ powerbuilder ...

Mobile app security: Always keep the back door locked
The best way to keep mobile apps safe is to secure the services they connect to.

10 Tech Skills That Will Instantly Net You A $100,000+ Salary
... that let's developers run Java applications. Java is highly popular language for writing web apps and custom enterprise apps. No. 8: PowerBuilder ...

Top Ranked Articles
Top Ranked Articles - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 23 Feb 2013

Resources last updated: 12/23/2015 3:49:48 AM