Please help, simple questions ?

Hello to you,
I'm newbie in pb8

I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is "ms-access"
When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
I named it as dw_customer

then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.

When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
the datawidow control named dw_1

I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about retrieving
data.
I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
connect using sqlca;
dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
dw_1.retrieve()

but the above code, I tried also didn't work

It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup

Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right ?

thanks in advance
steven

0
steven

You have to connect to your database first.

There is a tutorial that comes with PowerBuilder that will teach you the
basics. I would work through that first.

Also, please do not cross-post across newsgroups. It's pretty much the same
people answering questions in the newsgroups, so we're all reading your
message multiple times.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

"steven" <stvhui@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Hello to you,
> I'm newbie in pb8
>

> I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
> I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is
"ms-access"
> When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
> I named it as dw_customer
>
> then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.
>
> When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
> the datawidow control named dw_1
>
> I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about
retrieving
> data.
> I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
> connect using sqlca;
> dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
> dw_1.retrieve()
>
> but the above code, I tried also didn't work
>
> It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup
>
> Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
> Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
> Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right
?

> thanks in advance
> steven

0
Bill
5/10/2002 1:22:37 AM
Steven,

Previewing a window shows what the window will basically look like, it will
not execute the code behind it.  You'll need to run your app and open the
window.

Charles Grillo

0
Charlie
5/12/2002 1:17:19 PM
// Profile Sv
SQLCA.DBMS = "ODBC"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = True
SQLCA.DBParm = "Connectstring='DSN=dsnname',DelimitIdentifier='Yes'"

connect using sqlca;

make sure to specify the correct dsn name for you access database
connection.
"steven" <stvhui@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Hello to you,
> I'm newbie in pb8
>

> I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
> I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is
"ms-access"
> When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
> I named it as dw_customer
>
> then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.
>
> When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
> the datawidow control named dw_1
>
> I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about
retrieving
> data.
> I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
> connect using sqlca;
> dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
> dw_1.retrieve()
>
> but the above code, I tried also didn't work
>
> It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup
>
> Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
> Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
> Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right
?

> thanks in advance
> steven

0
Namasi

Please Help, simple questions
Hello to you, I'm a newbie in PB using 7.0 I've a Window named w_cust (have 2 buttons, [INSERT ROW] and [UPDATE] ) and DataWindow named d_cust (the model is freeform) It display like : Name : City : Phone : [INSERT ROW] [UPDATE] I also write the script to the buttons. But when I click the [INSERT ROW] button, I didnt recieve the input state, why ?? and if I click the [UPDATE] button, the msgbox display that the DATAWINDOW didn't have update capabilities, why ?? But if I design the DATAWINDOW in GRID Model, ...

Please Help, simple questions
Hello to you, I'm a newbie in PB using 7.0 I've a Window named w_cust (have 2 buttons, [INSERT ROW] and [UPDATE] ) and DataWindow named d_cust (the model is freeform) It display like : Name : City : Phone : [INSERT ROW] [UPDATE] I also write the script to the buttons. But when I click the [INSERT ROW] button, I didnt recieve the input state, why ?? and if I click the [UPDATE] button, the msgbox display that the DATAWINDOW didn't have update capabilities, why ?? But if I design the DATAWINDOW in GRID Model, ...

Please help
I'm just getting started with ASP/ASP.NET. I have W2k, installed IIS/.Netv1.1, and using the webmatrix to develop. When I use the web matrix server to test, all is OK. But if I use IIS then I cannot run any of the quickstart samples or even my own simple hello world project. The error occurs at any line that has <SCRIPT runat="server"> . The browser (IE6) gives me an error stating Expected ";" on line 3 <FULL CODE BELOW> ========================================================== <%@ Page Language="VB" %> <script runat=&q...

Please help for my simple question
Hai all I know it is very simple question . But I need ur help pls I want to change the color using expression property of datawindow for example if totalsale >= 80% the back ground colour of the totalsale column should be green , if it is >= 50 the back goround colur should be yello other wise if less that 50 the colur of this column should be red. Please how I can give in expression properties of the column in a datawindow With thanks and regards Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp H...

Simple Question ... Please help!
I have what I am sure is a simple question. I've been searching online for an hour and have $180 worth of VB.NET books in front of me but I can't seem to find this. I have a form where end users create an account/membership that is stored to a SQL DB. The username fields have to be unique and I can't figure out how to query that info from the DB? I would just like to check if there are any users currently using that username and if so, just generate a textbox message asking them to create a different username. Thanks!Building websites for 7 years. Using VB.NET for 2 weeks....'amatuer' ...

a simple portal question, please help me out.
Dim _portalSettings As PortalSettings = CType(HttpContext.Current.Items("PortalSettings"), PortalSettings) i know HttpContext.Current is to get the HttpContext object for the current HTTP request but I still have trouble to understand HttpContext.Current.Items("PortalSettings") part. Can some1 please explain it to me ? i got stuck on this part. thank you so much. At the start of each request a portalsettings object is created and dumped into the current context collection - making it available across the application for the duration of that request ...

Simple Query Question, please help
Table{ id, int (identity)  id2, int  ...}  I need to insert a row in a table and make id2=id it is actually quite easy to do it in 2 seperate queries, however, i wonder if there is a way to do it in one query with system functions. I am quite new to MSSQL, hope somebody can give me a hand. Thanks Hi ksha060 , You can use trigger to update id2.CREATE TRIGGER trgAfterInsert On YourTableName FOR INSERT AS BEGIN DECLARE @id2 int SELECT @id2 = id FROM inserted update YourTableName set id2 = @id2 where id = @id2 END ...

Please help for my simple question #2
Dear All, Please help to get the solution for my simple question For example I have the menu with following Master -----> Unit -----> Department -----> Employee After selecting Employee the employee screen will be opened but after that when I am returned to the menu , The submenu will disappear from there from previous position. I have to select Master again to get Employee submenu . How Can I keep the previous selected status of the menu With thanks Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsg...

Please! Please! Please! Please! Help
I am very new to the Linux/Oracle/Perl world coming from a many many years of a Windows environment. I have self learned everything I know about this new environment. So far I have successfully installed Redhat 9 in an Intel box and have gotten Oracle 9I running correctly. I can run scripts via sqlplus, sqlldr etc. Perl (I think ver. 5.8.0) is running on the box and I can create and run scripts that do other processes but I have had no success in getting Perl to connect to the Oracle database to generate some reports. With my experience using MS-SQL there is no major issues w...

probably a simple question can someone help please
Hi Guys  im new to development and have recently starting using visual studio 2005 asp.net vb to build a post office app to find local post offices.  The app uses sql but as the server ill be running this on wont have sql it utilises and mdf database. The app works fine, however i need to create an asp.net page where a user can browse to a file and upload a csv file into one of the tables in the sql database. Can some explain in plain english how i can do this and even provide some links so i can get the right resources to do so,  Ive read msdn and loads of other forums...

Web resources about - Please help, simple questions ? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Ohio Removes Question About Driver's Licenses From Job Form
Ohio has removed the question asking job applicants if they have a driver's license from the state's online hiring system.

A Question for Adam
Is there any plausible scenario in which the United States does not get involved in the current Saudi/Iran imbroglio and just treat it like a ...

All-inclusive honeymoon destinations and other travel questions answered
Q: My nephew is getting married in August and has asked for my help planning his honeymoon to the Caribbean. He doesn’t have a lot of money to ...

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ script reveals answers to our burning questions
One of the things many of us did this Christmas was see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters. The first movie in the new Star Wars saga is ...

"When Chris Wallace asks Bush if he squandered his initial advantage by failing to come up with a 'message' ...
"... which the media cares about more than he does. Instead, Bush wants to talk about how he's 'on the ballot in every state,' which is 'hard' ...

At Some Point Something Will Make Everyone Question If They Still Want To Acquiesce To A Lesser-Of-Two ...
I keep seeing one of those annoying automated spam tweets-on-endless-repeat from The Hill : "Billionaire George Soros said he regretted backing ...

Question #6 for 2015: Will real wages increase in 2016?
Earlier I posted some questions for next year: Ten Economic Questions for 2016 . I'll try to add some thoughts, and maybe some predictions for ...

Tom Oates: Quarterback, safety among the biggest questions for Badgers ...
Chippewa Herald Tom Oates: Quarterback, safety among the biggest questions for Badgers ... Chippewa Herald Replacing stellar safeties Michael ...

Seven questions to help you keep your New Year resolutions
We know from bitter experience that New Year's resolutions seem to disappear faster than a cold turkey sandwich.