Please help, Connect to MS-ACCESS goes read-only?

Hello to you,
I'm newbie in pb world, using pb8
My background is from vb,vfp

Would you mind to guide me, "step by step" ?
It 'd drove me crazy in a week

I 'd prapare the MS-ACCESS database format 97, 2000 & XP.
Please tell what should I do to connected & the real problem is it is
read-only ?
Let me said : table named customer (custno, custname, address)
I'd set "custno" to primary key

then I open pb and connected it by odbc (I just used the default setting).
then I open database profile and makes the connection.
When I clciked Connect, It occur message "Catalog table could not be
crerated and are not available for use"
then I clicked [OK], but in database painter I could seen all the table in
my database.
then I created dw and in it's result in grid.

as we know the behaviour, when the result is read-only, there is no pointer
(the background is black)
generally when is editable result is : blue background
(Note : I know this, because I can do it well by connected to MS-SQLSERVER
7.0)

please advice & tell me how to make it

Steven

0
steven

pls.... open the ODBC Administrator again...
"Add" new odbc
Select "Microsoft Access"
click on the "option" button...
u will see the "Read Only" option...
use new setting again...

"steven" <stvhui@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello to you,
> I'm newbie in pb world, using pb8
> My background is from vb,vfp
>
> Would you mind to guide me, "step by step" ?
> It 'd drove me crazy in a week
>
> I 'd prapare the MS-ACCESS database format 97, 2000 & XP.
> Please tell what should I do to connected & the real problem is it is
> read-only ?
> Let me said : table named customer (custno, custname, address)
> I'd set "custno" to primary key
>
> then I open pb and connected it by odbc (I just used the default setting).
> then I open database profile and makes the connection.
> When I clciked Connect, It occur message "Catalog table could not be
> crerated and are not available for use"
> then I clicked [OK], but in database painter I could seen all the table in
> my database.
> then I created dw and in it's result in grid.
>

> as we know the behaviour, when the result is read-only, there is no
pointer
> (the background is black)
> generally when is editable result is : blue background
> (Note : I know this, because I can do it well by connected to MS-SQLSERVER
> 7.0)
>
> please advice & tell me how to make it
>
> Steven

0
Guruguru
5/14/2002 5:57:59 AM
Hi Steven!

To make your dw updateable in PB8 and Access
you have to do it manually ( this is not a default in the datawindow painter
for Access DB).
In the Datawindow Painter:

1. Rows > Update Properties... > Check Allow Updates,
                        Select Table to Update,
                        Select Updateable Columns,
                        Select Unique Key Column(s)
                        and  Click OK

2. Format > Tab Order > Set Tab Order greater then 0 for columns you want to
update.

HTH

Alex Osin

> I had look at the READONLY & EXCLUSIVE CheckBox, All are empty
>
> "Guruguru" <guruguru@gurugurus.com> wrote in message
> > pls.... open the ODBC Administrator again...
> > "Add" new odbc
> > Select "Microsoft Access"
> > click on the "option" button...
> > u will see the "Read Only" option...
> > use new setting again...
> >
> > "steven" <stvhui@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello to you,
> > > I'm newbie in pb world, using pb8
> > > My background is from vb,vfp
> > >
> > > Would you mind to guide me, "step by step" ?
> > > It 'd drove me crazy in a week
> > >
> > > I 'd prapare the MS-ACCESS database format 97, 2000 & XP.
> > > Please tell what should I do to connected & the real problem is it is
> > > read-only ?
> > > Let me said : table named customer (custno, custname, address)
> > > I'd set "custno" to primary key
> > >
> > > then I open pb and connected it by odbc (I just used the default
> setting).
> > > then I open database profile and makes the connection.
> > > When I clciked Connect, It occur message "Catalog table could not be
> > > crerated and are not available for use"
> > > then I clicked [OK], but in database painter I could seen all the
table
> in
> > > my database.
> > > then I created dw and in it's result in grid.
> > >

> > > as we know the behaviour, when the result is read-only, there is no
> > pointer
> > > (the background is black)
> > > generally when is editable result is : blue background
> > > (Note : I know this, because I can do it well by connected to
> MS-SQLSERVER
> > > 7.0)
> > >
> > > please advice & tell me how to make it
> > >
> > > Steven

0
Alex
5/14/2002 11:15:32 PM
I had look at the READONLY & EXCLUSIVE CheckBox, All are empty

"Guruguru" <guruguru@gurugurus.com> wrote in message
> pls.... open the ODBC Administrator again...
> "Add" new odbc
> Select "Microsoft Access"
> click on the "option" button...
> u will see the "Read Only" option...
> use new setting again...
>
> "steven" <stvhui@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello to you,
> > I'm newbie in pb world, using pb8
> > My background is from vb,vfp
> >
> > Would you mind to guide me, "step by step" ?
> > It 'd drove me crazy in a week
> >
> > I 'd prapare the MS-ACCESS database format 97, 2000 & XP.
> > Please tell what should I do to connected & the real problem is it is
> > read-only ?
> > Let me said : table named customer (custno, custname, address)
> > I'd set "custno" to primary key
> >
> > then I open pb and connected it by odbc (I just used the default
setting).
> > then I open database profile and makes the connection.
> > When I clciked Connect, It occur message "Catalog table could not be
> > crerated and are not available for use"
> > then I clicked [OK], but in database painter I could seen all the table
in
> > my database.
> > then I created dw and in it's result in grid.
> >

> > as we know the behaviour, when the result is read-only, there is no
> pointer
> > (the background is black)
> > generally when is editable result is : blue background
> > (Note : I know this, because I can do it well by connected to
MS-SQLSERVER
> > 7.0)
> >
> > please advice & tell me how to make it
> >
> > Steven

0
steven

Connecting to MS Access 2007 (I Really Need Your Help Here) Please Read.
First I wanna say thank you for reading this topic. I am a beginner in coding ASP. I really want to learn more about it. My problem is:1. I am connecting to MS Access 2007 as my database (I am using IIS 6). When I run the script, it reads data but when I am going to Update the record error appears like this:Data Source is Read-Only. 2. I Check the file in the IIS Manager and the property 'Read' 'Write' was both checked. Can anyone explain to me what is really a problem here:Please show me some codes. Thanx ASP or ASP.NET?  There's a difference. Show a ...

Please help, PB8 connected to MS-ACCESS ?
[...]

Please help, I can't create a connection between my web page and database in MS-Access/Sql-Server
Hi all , Recently I was trying to establish a connection between my web page and the database made in MS-Access/SQL-server. But all my efforts were in vain at last. Please help me to do this. Write all the steps. Looking for a perfect solution.  Thanking,Kristian  Which is it? Access or SQL Server?  Here's a tutorial for Access: http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tutorials/aspnet20/default.htm Connection stirngs for all types of database can be found here: http://www.connectionstrings.com  Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site hopefully u are us...

Help With MS-Access Connectivity
Hi ,Recently I had created application for login form using SQL express database, which worked fine. But my hosting server doesnot support MS-SQL database. Now I want to do all that using MS-Access. Can somebody plz tell me that how to connect MS-Access with ASP.NET forms ? Any simple connectivity reference to use for login will do. I have created database in Access with following fields.username,password,confirm password,question,answer & email id. I want to connect to this database with ASP.NET forms (2.0) also pz help in inserting records in database. Thankful if extra information is ...

MS ACCESS Problem PLEASE HELP!
Hi all, I have been trying to connect to any MsAccess database via Powerbuilder 6.5 without any success (Using PB7 it works fine!). I get the following message: SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC driver] Program Type Is Out Of Area when i try to access the database painter i get this message. I also get this when I open DB Administrator and type in a select to the Access db - it displays the labels of the columns, but does not retrieve anything and also pops- up the aforementioned "Program Type Is Out Of Area" message. FYI, I have MSAccess 97 installed on my PC. Ha...

MS ACCESS Problem PLEASE HELP!
Hi all, I have been trying to connect to any MsAccess database via Powerbuilder 6.5 without any success. I get the following message: SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC driver] Program Type Is Out Of Area when i try to access the database painter i get this message. I also get this when I open DB Administrator and type in a select to the Access db - it displays the labels of the columns, but does not retrieve anything and also pops- up the aforementioned "Program Type Is Out Of Area" message. FYI, I have MSAccess 97 installed on my PC. Has anyone encountered this b...

PLEASE HELP!! Need to access a database that has no user accounts..PLEASE HELP!!
Hello, I am a data conversion programmer working to convert the data in a SQL Anywhere Database Ver.5.5.4.(running locally on the same machine where the client app. runs) to another brand database. Right now the only way I can extract the data is through the client Applications which has the database user id/password embedded in to it, but they don't provide all the fields I need. I want to extract some additional columns by connecting to the database using Interactive SQL, but I don't know any user account details(I can't ask the vendor). I have tried the default dba/sql...

Help with connection!! Please help!!
Hi friends, I need to connect my VB.NET application to my website through FTP (using an upload form in my application). I need to do this because I need to upload some images and also update the database on the web with my application's database. Can someone please help me with something on this? Thanks, ~Sim If my answer has helped you then please mark it as answer. It will help you and me gain some credit and resolve the thread. no one can help me? :(If my answer has helped you then please mark it as answer. It will help you and me gain some credit and resolve the thread. ...

Help Connecting to Local MS Access Database.
I'm trying to connect from PB 6.5 to a MS Access 2000 database on my C:\ drive and I get this error - SQLSTATE = S1003 . . . program type out of range . . . My simple select * query returns me the column names from the table I'm querying - but not the data. Seems like I got some part of what I did right .. . . but not the entire process. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Robin Sengupta Please post this question in the PowerBuilder.Database newsgroup. This group is for EAServer - PowerBuilder issues. Regards, Dave Fish [TeamSybase] On ...

Help Connecting to Local MS Access Database.
I'm trying to connect from PB 6.5 to a MS Access 2000 database on my C:\ drive and I get this error - SQLSTATE = S1003 . . . program type out of range . . . My simple select * query returns me the column names from the table I'm querying - but not the data. Seems like I got some part of what I did right .. . . but not the entire process. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Robin Sengupta You need the latest PB 6.x maintenance release. There was an update to ODBC with Access 2000 that added datatypes that earlier versions of PB didn't kno...

Web resources about - Please help, Connect to MS-ACCESS goes read-only? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Read-Only Memory
Read-Only Memory publishes high-quality books and articles that document defining moments in videogame history.

Read-only memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Read-only memory ( ROM ) is a class of storage medium used in computers and other electronic devices. Data stored in ROM cannot be modified, ...

Read-Only Memory (@romalerts) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Read-Only Memory @ romalerts ...

Read Only Memories - Announcement Trailer - PS4 and PS Vita - YouTube
Coming Soon to PS4 and PS Vita http://readonlymemori.es Midboss is excited to announce that we're bringing the world of Neo-San Francisco to ...

Dropbox for Business folders can now be shared in read-only mode
Users of Dropbox for Business will now be able to share folders with colleagues without necessarily giving them rights to edit their content. ...

Hands-on with the Google Drive for iOS app: mostly read only
Google Drive on the iPhone. Sean Gallagher At Google's IO conference in San Francisco today, the company released a Google Drive app for Apple ...

President Obama Does Reddit AMA, Reddit Promptly Goes Into Read-Only Mode Due to Heavy Traffic
... We got a "Reddit is under heavy load right now" error page several times while trying to read the AMA, and eventually got through, but only ...

"It’s almost always a mistake to read only a first-rate writer’s masterpieces."
"A great deal of Fussell’s best, most perceptive and, frankly, most hilarious work arrived in books like 'Class: A Guide Through the American ...

Only Read This Post If You're On Your Phone
Close one eye and tilt your phone so you're looking from the charger hole. Whooaaaaaaaaa.

Only read the Facebook statuses you want to read
iPhone app Jildy says it can give users a convenient 60-second overview filtering out the statuses you won't care about.