nested datawindow within another nested datawindow?

I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within another
nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors.
Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't
find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough
to try.

thanks,
Pat

0
Pat

It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try testing
your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them one
at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be corrupted,
which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.

Regards,
John
Team Sybase

<Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
another
> nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors.
> Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't
> find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough
> to try.
>
> thanks,
> Pat

0
John
9/10/2003 7:08:25 PM
John,

Ok, so it sounds like what I'm trying to do is possible.  All I know is,
when the lowest level nested report is there, it blows up, and when it's
not, it works.  However, the middle-level report works in the datawindow
painter preview mode when the low level nested report is there, so one would
assume that the DW's aren't corrupted.  But I'll redo the lowest level DW
anyway, just to see if it helps.

The highest level datawindow is a composite with a bunch of dummy report
objects on it, and I assign the middle level datawindows to these
dynamically.  I wonder if that could be causing problems.  Like I said, it
was fine till I added another level of nesting, so that's what made me
wonder.  I've seen this in both PB8 9838 and PB 9.0.1, so that should rule
out any kind of bug.

thanks much,
Pat

"John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
> nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
testing
> your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
one
> at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
corrupted,
> which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
>
> Regards,
> John
> Team Sybase
>

> <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> another
> > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
errors.
> > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
couldn't
> > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
enough
> > to try.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Pat

0
Pat
9/10/2003 8:30:03 PM
John

Nope, recreating the lowest level DW didn't seem to matter.  Maybe this
whole thing is the wrong approach.  I had a datawindow (the middle level
one) which had a ton of stuff in the summary band, and found that this was
getting truncated at the bottom of the page.  My thinking was that using a
nested DW and moving everything into the detail band would help, because the
detail would continue on the next page.  If you can think of a better way to
do this, I'm open to suggestions.

thanks for your help,
Pat

"John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
> nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
testing
> your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
one
> at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
corrupted,
> which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
>
> Regards,
> John
> Team Sybase
>

> <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> another
> > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
errors.
> > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
couldn't
> > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
enough
> > to try.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Pat

0
Pat
9/10/2003 8:41:40 PM
John,

You were right, recreating the middle level datawindow seems to be working.
It's an extremely complex DW (that's why I procrastinated doing this), and
I've only recreated part of it so far, but it's not blowing up like the
original one.  The original one worked in the DW painter, so I assumed it
was ok... never assume.  It was either corrupted, or had some feature on it
that caused problems at runtime.

thanks again for the help,
Pat

"John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
> nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
testing
> your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
one
> at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
corrupted,
> which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
>
> Regards,
> John
> Team Sybase
>

> <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> another
> > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
errors.
> > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
couldn't
> > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
enough
> > to try.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Pat

0
Pat
9/11/2003 6:44:03 PM
Glad to hear it.

I've used the same method of moving things from the summary band into a
nested report and put it in the detail. There are many ways to achieve the
desired layout and sometimes you need to try several before getting it
right.

Regards,
John
Team Sybase

<Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f60c2dc@forums-2-dub...
> John,
>
> You were right, recreating the middle level datawindow seems to be
working.
> It's an extremely complex DW (that's why I procrastinated doing this), and
> I've only recreated part of it so far, but it's not blowing up like the
> original one.  The original one worked in the DW painter, so I assumed it
> was ok... never assume.  It was either corrupted, or had some feature on
it
> that caused problems at runtime.
>
> thanks again for the help,
> Pat
>
> "John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> > It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports.
However,
> > nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
> testing
> > your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
> one
> > at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
> corrupted,
> > which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
> > Team Sybase
> >

> > <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> > another
> > > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
> errors.
> > > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
> couldn't
> > > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
> enough
> > > to try.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Pat