nested datawindow within another nested datawindow?

I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within another
nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors.
Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't
find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough
to try.

thanks,
Pat

0
Pat

It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try testing
your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them one
at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be corrupted,
which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.

Regards,
John
Team Sybase

<Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
another
> nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors.
> Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't
> find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough
> to try.
>
> thanks,
> Pat

0
John
9/10/2003 7:08:25 PM
John,

Ok, so it sounds like what I'm trying to do is possible.  All I know is,
when the lowest level nested report is there, it blows up, and when it's
not, it works.  However, the middle-level report works in the datawindow
painter preview mode when the low level nested report is there, so one would
assume that the DW's aren't corrupted.  But I'll redo the lowest level DW
anyway, just to see if it helps.

The highest level datawindow is a composite with a bunch of dummy report
objects on it, and I assign the middle level datawindows to these
dynamically.  I wonder if that could be causing problems.  Like I said, it
was fine till I added another level of nesting, so that's what made me
wonder.  I've seen this in both PB8 9838 and PB 9.0.1, so that should rule
out any kind of bug.

thanks much,
Pat

"John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
> nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
testing
> your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
one
> at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
corrupted,
> which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
>
> Regards,
> John
> Team Sybase
>

> <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> another
> > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
errors.
> > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
couldn't
> > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
enough
> > to try.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Pat

0
Pat
9/10/2003 8:30:03 PM
John

Nope, recreating the lowest level DW didn't seem to matter.  Maybe this
whole thing is the wrong approach.  I had a datawindow (the middle level
one) which had a ton of stuff in the summary band, and found that this was
getting truncated at the bottom of the page.  My thinking was that using a
nested DW and moving everything into the detail band would help, because the
detail would continue on the next page.  If you can think of a better way to
do this, I'm open to suggestions.

thanks for your help,
Pat

"John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
> nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
testing
> your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
one
> at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
corrupted,
> which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
>
> Regards,
> John
> Team Sybase
>

> <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> another
> > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
errors.
> > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
couldn't
> > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
enough
> > to try.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Pat

0
Pat
9/10/2003 8:41:40 PM
John,

You were right, recreating the middle level datawindow seems to be working.
It's an extremely complex DW (that's why I procrastinated doing this), and
I've only recreated part of it so far, but it's not blowing up like the
original one.  The original one worked in the DW painter, so I assumed it
was ok... never assume.  It was either corrupted, or had some feature on it
that caused problems at runtime.

thanks again for the help,
Pat

"John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However,
> nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
testing
> your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
one
> at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
corrupted,
> which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
>
> Regards,
> John
> Team Sybase
>

> <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> another
> > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
errors.
> > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
couldn't
> > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
enough
> > to try.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Pat

0
Pat
9/11/2003 6:44:03 PM
Glad to hear it.

I've used the same method of moving things from the summary band into a
nested report and put it in the detail. There are many ways to achieve the
desired layout and sometimes you need to try several before getting it
right.

Regards,
John
Team Sybase

<Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f60c2dc@forums-2-dub...
> John,
>
> You were right, recreating the middle level datawindow seems to be
working.
> It's an extremely complex DW (that's why I procrastinated doing this), and
> I've only recreated part of it so far, but it's not blowing up like the
> original one.  The original one worked in the DW painter, so I assumed it
> was ok... never assume.  It was either corrupted, or had some feature on
it
> that caused problems at runtime.
>
> thanks again for the help,
> Pat
>
> "John Olson [Team Sybase]" <john.olson@developower_nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:3f5f7710@forums-2-dub...
> > It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports.
However,
> > nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try
> testing
> > your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them
> one
> > at a time and try to identify which DW is the problem. It may be
> corrupted,
> > which would require  you to recreate it from scratch.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
> > Team Sybase
> >

> > <Pat Madigan> wrote in message news:3f5f30dd@forums-1-dub...
> > > I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within
> > another
> > > nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory
> errors.
> > > Is this even possible?  I searched all of the usual resources and
> couldn't
> > > find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb
> enough
> > > to try.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Pat

0
John

Nested datawindow within a nested datawindow
I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines. Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000) shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method) ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of virtual memory. (About 99% of those ...

Urgent
Dear all, I'm using PB 6.5.1. I have a report with the following layout: Datawindow A contain Datawindow B, Datawindow B contain Datawindow C And I want to get a reference to Datawindow C. However, I tried to use GetChild() for Datawindow B. It retured -1. Thus, I also tried to get another Datawindow D which is nested in Datawindow A and no nested datawindow nested in it. Then, using GetChild is worked for this case. Am I missing something?? is there any other way round?? Any ideas or suggestion are welcome. Thanks in Advance. Best Regards, Andy Cheung ...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

No nested datawindows or n-up datawindows?
Hi: Are there no nested datawindows or n-up datawindows in Pocket? I can't seem to add them in the painter, yet the help describes the properties rows_Per_detail... Regards Currently, these DW types are not supported in PK 2.0.2. "Ignacio Mateos" <imateos@telefonica.net> wrote in message news:43282d5f$1@forums-2-dub... > Hi: > > Are there no nested datawindows or n-up datawindows in Pocket? > > I can't seem to add them in the painter, yet the help describes the > properties rows_Per_detail... > > Regards > ...

how to get the number of rows of a datawindow nested in another datawindow?
Hi All! Has anyone an idea how to get the number of rows of a datawindow nested in another datawindow? I have a datastore l_ds = CREATE datastore l_ds.dataobject = "d_invoice" l_ds.SetTransObject(SQLCA) li_rows = l_ds.Retrieve(... and so on I am able to access a value in the nested datawindow like this: l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[1] l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[2] l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[3] (d_items is the nested datawindow) But I do not know how to retrieve the number of rows of the nested...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

PageCount() with Nested Datawindow in Composite Datawindow
Hi Everyone, I use PB 11.5.1 Build 4740 (last build). I have a problem when I am trying to print out a composite datawindow. I have a composite datawindow with 3 nested datawindow, when I try dw_composite.Retrieve() it works fine, but when I put dw_composite.Print(), I faced a problem with the second nested datawindow: the number of pages. For example, I have two pages and the print is "Page 2 of 2" to the first page and "Page 2 of 2" to the second one. I am using the function "page()". This just occurs to print option, when I am using retrieve op...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

do not show nested datawindow on composite datawindow !!
I have developed using EAS 3.6.1 and PB 7.0.3 build 10047. i made composite datawindow within 3 nested datawindows and all dw have 2 retrieval arguments. and i retrieve result data using getfullstate. in Client webbrowser, main dw is displayed but nested datawindows is not displayed in main dw. why not display???.. How can I do? Thanks in advance. Kwang-gyu Nested DW's do not work. You will need to have multiple web datawindows or use a PDF writer like Adobe to print to a file and display this in the browser. "�̱���" wrote: > I have developed usi...

Printing a datawindow with a nested datawindow under Win95
Hi PB'ers We have a strange problem when trying to print a datawindow with a nested datawindow. Printing from a 32 bit (interpreted or compiled) application under windows 95, the application crashes in the Kernel32.dll. If the same application is run under NT3.51 the there are no problems. The same goes if the same application is made as a 16 bit application. (running under NT, Win3 or Win95). We have the same problem in more than one application with different datawindows being printed, but the application doesn't crash every time a datawindow with a nested datawindo...

Datawindow Nested Datawindow in data entry
hi!!! all , can i use nested datawindow in data entry to show important data ? means i want to show scrolling infomration on each row of a detail of a master detail screen. how can I do it ? means in an entry screen I want to show some scrolling information as the detail of detail on each row ? thanks , -neelesh If information is less you can simply add a dummy column,In detail screen. no the information is not less ... but the requirement is to make it as another detail as we don't know how much rows may come in it ... if it is more then the screen then ...

Web resources about - nested datawindow within another nested datawindow? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo