Nested datawindow within a nested datawindow

I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a
datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines
get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines.
Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000)
shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops
and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method)
ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the
datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of  virtual memory. (About 99% of those
70 MB are allocated during the retrieval of the nested lines.) Can you help
me?

Thanks in advance,
Detlef

-1
Detlef

That's not a high number of rows at all.  You can try using the new feature
in 703 to change memory management:
dw_1.object.datawindow.storagepagesize='large'

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

"Detlef Keil" <Detlef.Keil@MAPWARE.de> wrote in message
> I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a
> datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines
> get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines.
> Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000)
> shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops
> and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method)
> ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the
> datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of  virtual memory. (About 99% of
those
> 70 MB are allocated during the retrieval of the nested lines.) Can you
help
> me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Detlef

-1
Terry
6/18/2001 2:59:52 PM
Hi Detlef,
i hav PB6.5, can you use "SAVE ROWS TO DISK" for the two datawindows, then the
memory shoud not be the problem.

Willi

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:30:36 +0200,

 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Detlef Keil <Detlef.Keil@MAPWARE.de> wrote:
>I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a
>datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines
>get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines.
>Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000)
>shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops
>and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method)
>ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the
>datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of  virtual memory. (About 99% of those
>70 MB are allocated during the retrieval of the nested lines.) Can you help
>me?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Detlef

Willibald
6/18/2001 6:13:40 PM
Sorry, but this didn't change anything. I explored this problem further by
adding the following Lines to the DataWindow control's RetrieveRow-Event:

   int liFile
   lifile = FileOpen( 'debug.log', LineMode!, Write!, LockWrite!)
   FileWrite( liFile, "Retrieved Row " + String( row ) + ". Memory: " +
String( this.Object.DataWindow.Storage ) )
   FileClose( liFile )

The resulting logfile contained the following Lines (I added line numbers
for clearification):

    1: Retrieved Row 1. Memory: 53248
    2: Retrieved Row 2. Memory: 53248
    3: Retrieved Row 3. Memory: 53248
 3179: Retrieved Row 3179. Memory: 487424
 3180: Retrieved Row 3180. Memory: 487424
 3181: Retrieved Row 3181. Memory: 487424
 3182: Retrieved Row 0. Memory: 462848
 3183: Retrieved Row 0. Memory: 462848
 3184: Retrieved Row 0. Memory: 462848
11948: Retrieved Row 0. Memory: 565248
11949: Retrieved Row 0. Memory: 565248
11950: Retrieved Row 0. Memory: 565248

Thus the logfile tells me, that about 0.5 MB are allocated for the
DataWindow. Nevertheless, the Windows 2000 Taskmanager says, that about 70
MB are allocated during the retrieval. This amount of 70 MB is about the
same when I start the retrieve in Powerbuilder 7.0.3 and when I start it in
my application. I suppose that most of the the 70 MB are used for allocating
DataWindow objects and the 0.5 MB are for the information I retrieved. Is
there a software dependant upper bound for memory allocation in PB?

Thanks a lot,
Detlef

P.S.: In my last post I didn't write that I'm using Adaptive Server Anywhere
7.

"Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> That's not a high number of rows at all.  You can try using the new
feature
> in 703 to change memory management:
> dw_1.object.datawindow.storagepagesize='large'
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.
> MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase
> Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp

Detlef
as you said most of memory is not used by data. Data window print preview
presentation is problem (you can't turn it off, you have nested reports).
There is the main memory alocated. So you should start print using
PrintOpen(),  Print()  in smaller steps and then PrintClose(). Needs coding,
but it is possible.
Bye, Damir

0
Damir

nested datawindow within another nested datawindow?
I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within another nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors. Is this even possible? I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough to try. thanks, Pat It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However, nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try testing your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them one at a time and try to i...

Urgent
Dear all, I'm using PB 6.5.1. I have a report with the following layout: Datawindow A contain Datawindow B, Datawindow B contain Datawindow C And I want to get a reference to Datawindow C. However, I tried to use GetChild() for Datawindow B. It retured -1. Thus, I also tried to get another Datawindow D which is nested in Datawindow A and no nested datawindow nested in it. Then, using GetChild is worked for this case. Am I missing something?? is there any other way round?? Any ideas or suggestion are welcome. Thanks in Advance. Best Regards, Andy Cheung ...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

No nested datawindows or n-up datawindows?
Hi: Are there no nested datawindows or n-up datawindows in Pocket? I can't seem to add them in the painter, yet the help describes the properties rows_Per_detail... Regards Currently, these DW types are not supported in PK 2.0.2. "Ignacio Mateos" <imateos@telefonica.net> wrote in message news:43282d5f$1@forums-2-dub... > Hi: > > Are there no nested datawindows or n-up datawindows in Pocket? > > I can't seem to add them in the painter, yet the help describes the > properties rows_Per_detail... > > Regards > ...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...
Blah blah blah You've heard it enough that you don't even want to comment on how many times... The DataWindow. ....but it can't be enough anymore...can it? This from one of our colleagues (and yes my apologies for taking it out of context)... "...PB covers all you need to do that in ONE Tool. This includes Windowprogramming ( meaning the interface to the user: Windows, Sheets, diallougeboxes, etc.), Database operability AND Reporting! Well, I see als well as many other PB users that some of the implementations and features PB offers are improvable. But this seems not to be the main issue here to be discussed. Fact is, and I've looked around to may other Programming systems, there is NO OTHER tool (I did not find any) which is comparable RAD..." So here's the two-fold feedback I'm hoping for and thanks in advance for your investment of time/effort to respond... *** 1) What true competitive differentiators does PowerBuilder still have as 2007 draws to a close? *** Yes, we can add/improve features but... *** 2) What can we add to, or change about PowerBuilder that would be a true competitive differentiator? *** Arguably one way to distill this down would be to ask what can be done for PowerBuilder that would make it better than (Visual Studio + DataWindow .NET)? Maybe its a single feature. Maybe its a new category of functionality. Maybe its a "eureka" modification to something PowerBu...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

Printing a datawindow with a nested datawindow under Win95
Hi PB'ers We have a strange problem when trying to print a datawindow with a nested datawindow. Printing from a 32 bit (interpreted or compiled) application under windows 95, the application crashes in the Kernel32.dll. If the same application is run under NT3.51 the there are no problems. The same goes if the same application is made as a 16 bit application. (running under NT, Win3 or Win95). We have the same problem in more than one application with different datawindows being printed, but the application doesn't crash every time a datawindow with a nested datawindo...

Datawindow Nested Datawindow in data entry
hi!!! all , can i use nested datawindow in data entry to show important data ? means i want to show scrolling infomration on each row of a detail of a master detail screen. how can I do it ? means in an entry screen I want to show some scrolling information as the detail of detail on each row ? thanks , -neelesh If information is less you can simply add a dummy column,In detail screen. no the information is not less ... but the requirement is to make it as another detail as we don't know how much rows may come in it ... if it is more then the screen then ...

PageCount() with Nested Datawindow in Composite Datawindow
Hi Everyone, I use PB 11.5.1 Build 4740 (last build). I have a problem when I am trying to print out a composite datawindow. I have a composite datawindow with 3 nested datawindow, when I try dw_composite.Retrieve() it works fine, but when I put dw_composite.Print(), I faced a problem with the second nested datawindow: the number of pages. For example, I have two pages and the print is "Page 2 of 2" to the first page and "Page 2 of 2" to the second one. I am using the function "page()". This just occurs to print option, when I am using retrieve op...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

do not show nested datawindow on composite datawindow !!
I have developed using EAS 3.6.1 and PB 7.0.3 build 10047. i made composite datawindow within 3 nested datawindows and all dw have 2 retrieval arguments. and i retrieve result data using getfullstate. in Client webbrowser, main dw is displayed but nested datawindows is not displayed in main dw. why not display???.. How can I do? Thanks in advance. Kwang-gyu Nested DW's do not work. You will need to have multiple web datawindows or use a PDF writer like Adobe to print to a file and display this in the browser. "�̱���" wrote: > I have developed usi...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Re: Nested Datawindow Report (Datawindow Printing)
Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected in PB 8 or 9? Please advise. I am currently using PB 7. Problem: In case of large text fields, PowerBuilder not printing the Data correctly. Lines are cut in half and also not printing last few lines . This is happening on nested datawindow. Here is the link to the original documentation: http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=10938800 Original documentation :-) states that this is not a bug but expected behaviour, so what kind of "correction" do you expect? pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-)) Philip ...

Reference a datawindow object (nested report) in a datawindow
Is it possible to reference a datawindow object in a datawindow? My scenario : I have a datawindow (composite) which holds another datawindow (nested report). This child datawindow has a OLE ActiveX object which I am trying to access from the window which holds the composite datawindow. The reason for this is because I need to access the ActiveX properties/functions after the composite datawindow have been retrieved. I've tried to get a reference to the child datawindow : //DataWindowChild dwc_activex dw1.getchild("dw_activex", dwc_activex) But as datawi...

mail the datawindow contents containing nested datawindows
Hi, I am using PB 8.0 build 9704. My requirement is to convert(save as) datawindow's contents into a common file format (excel sheet, html, word etc) and then after email it. The datawindow conatins 3 nested datawindows and an image. The most important consideration is that the conversion should maintain the format and layout of the data. The scond thing is that the file format should be simple so that the receiver can view it without any special/specific application. will be very thankful -- Best Regards, Mian Muzammil Is Adobe Reader considered a "speci...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow #2
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow #3
[...]

Fatal Error when filtering datawindow with nested datawindow
When filtering a datawindow viewed from a .PSR file which contains a nested datawindow I get the following error: HCVIEWER caused an invalid page fault in module PBDWE050.DLL at 014f:1156a0fd. Filtering works for other reports and I can filter the same .PSR file if I open it in Infomaker. Has anyone had this problem? ...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow #3
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Nested in Nested Datawindow syntax
Hi, I'm having a problem finding the right syntax to set the dataobject of a nested (inside nested) datawindow. I have a composite datawindow (dw_1) with a datawindow (dw_nest1) nested in it. It also has a datawindow nested (dw_nest2). For i = 1 to ll_rowcount /* where ll_rowcount is the rowcount of dw_nest1 */ dw_1.Object.dw_nest1.Object.dw_nest2[i].dataobject = "d_nested" NEXT I'm actually having a problem finding the syntax to do anything with the second nested datawindow. Any help is appreciated Never mind this. I got the dataobject t...

how to get the number of rows of a datawindow nested in another datawindow?
Hi All! Has anyone an idea how to get the number of rows of a datawindow nested in another datawindow? I have a datastore l_ds = CREATE datastore l_ds.dataobject = "d_invoice" l_ds.SetTransObject(SQLCA) li_rows = l_ds.Retrieve(... and so on I am able to access a value in the nested datawindow like this: l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[1] l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[2] l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[3] (d_items is the nested datawindow) But I do not know how to retrieve the number of rows of the nested...

embedding a datawindow within a datawindow
Below is a sample of the format for a report I need to create. The report will display courses that may or may not be part of group, because the people running the courses can choose from all the courses available to create their own "group" of courses. Since a course may or may not be part of a group would using an embedded datawindow for the group info work? How? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The data is coming from two tables. Thanks, Kevin CourseID CourseTitle CourseTopic EnrollMax EnrollCurrent 100145A "Sample" "Sample"...

Web resources about - Nested datawindow within a nested datawindow - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo