How to set a value to NULL

Hello,

I've got a need to set a particular field of a record in the database to
NULL.  I've got a datawindow set up to interface with this table, but I
can't get it to set an individual column of a row to NULL.  I've tried
SetNull(), but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

0
Matthew

one more way to do it

string ls_null
SetNull(ls_null)
This.SetItem( 1, <column_name> , ls_null )
--
Mahendra Dhamdhere
Unicef, New York.

Matthew Culbreth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a need to set a particular field of a record in the database to
> NULL.  I've got a datawindow set up to interface with this table, but I
> can't get it to set an individual column of a row to NULL.  I've tried
> SetNull(), but that doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

0
Mahendra

try to use option "Empty string is null" in column properties of DW.

Regards
Fred

Matthew Culbreth a �crit dans le message
<35E143FD.46488BA5@gfscomputing.com>...
>Hello,
>
>I've got a need to set a particular field of a record in the database to
>NULL.  I've got a datawindow set up to interface with this table, but I
>can't get it to set an individual column of a row to NULL.  I've tried
>SetNull(), but that doesn't work.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt

0
Mas
8/24/1998 11:19:31 AM
UPDATE <tablename> SET <fieldname> = NULL;
COMMIT;

Matthew Culbreth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a need to set a particular field of a record in the database to
> NULL.  I've got a datawindow set up to interface with this table, but I
> can't get it to set an individual column of a row to NULL.  I've tried
> SetNull(), but that doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Who is user GENERAL FAILURE and why is he reading my disk?

0
Thomas

context.SubmitChanges() fails for null values (which are set to NOT NULL but have default values)
the topic pretty much says it all.I have a table with a column of type varchar(5). It's defined as NOT NULL and a default value of let's say "test".Now whenever I try to insert a new row into that column and I do not define the column mentioned above - the value for that column is "null". This of course leads to an exception.I do not want to insert null or Dbnull.Value or whatever.. I don't want to insert anything at all in that column so that the database can insert the default value.How am I supposed to do that? I do need that column later in my program so d...

Getting a value set to Null.NullInteger to be set as Null on an SQL database
I am using the CodeSmith DNN templates and finding them great for coding.  When I set a feild in an Info class to Null.NullInteger then pass this to a controller to update, the SQL parameter value that is passed is -1 rather than Null.What's the best way to correct this?Jonathan Palmer Any news on this? I'm having the exact same problem.Juliana -1 is null for an integer. Are you wrapping the sproc argument with GetNull() in your SqlDataProvider? Best Regards, Jason The issues is when you have an integer value that can be minus - e.g. temperature in degrees and you a...

Setting a string value for a Null Value
 Hi All,Q1.    For Numbers I can set "0 "  for null values like thisif isnull({SP.NumericField}) then 0 else ({SP.NumericField})But when I set it for String value it is not working. if isnull({SP.StringField}) then "00:00" else ({SP.StringField}) How can I do this? Q2. After configured the dataset I changed the type of one field of the table  in to Varchar (From Integer). But still it is showing as number in the Crystal Report. Why is that? Thanks,Janaka      Each and Every problem has Solutions ...

Setting null value
Hi Friends, I am setting null value for the numberic columns. Is there any cituvation where it showsup zero value when I set null value for the numeric field. Thanks in advance Narayana Hmm... does the column in the database have a default assigned to it? What about the column object on the datawindow? Is there an edit mask involved? DDDW? Is it showing up in every column, or just a few? If it's in just a few, what do those objects have in common, but is different from the rest? "narayana" <narayanarao@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:QlVMUE27AH...

Drop Down datawindows displaying the display value corresponding to a 0 data value when the field is NULL.
Most of our query windows have drop down datawindows populated with code values taken from the database. Some of these code values have a primary key and thus a data value in the drop down of zero. With the new patches when a column on the datawindow is set to null the display value corresponding to the 0 data value in the drop down datawindow is displayed. When the user tabs into the field to edit it though the display is set back to null. If the user goes ok it's blank like it should be and tabs out again the display value corresponding to the 0 data value is displayed again!!...

Set Null Value to a Column...
Hello. I�m trying to use the set null value for column in a datawindows. The problem is that i have a datawindow external with two columns, each one of this columns contain a datawindow child. These make a function like a master detail. one dwChild(dwchild1) is referenced to a table product_group and the other one(dwchild2) to a table product. When i get the selecci�n of the group in the itemchanged event of the dwchild1 the retrieve is executed with one retrieval argument (group), and the list of product filtered out by the group selected is show up. I need to clear the v...

Set Null Value to textbox
I have a textbox the may or may not carry a date value.   If box is empty on submit I would like a null value inserted into the database.  Some times the textbox will be submitted empty it is not required to give a date for this textbox. How do I get the system(db) to except the string a a null value.   Error message: System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "" to type 'Date' is not valid.   Please help.A Lifetime ASP.NET DEVELOPER Just Check the option "Allow Nulls" In the Table where you have the Date Field.. I think th...

"Cannot Insert Null Values"...but there are no null values being passed....
I am a new programmer, and I'm trying to insert information gathered using a web form.  All fields take input from the user, and use the same command to updated that database.  Only four fields give me the error message of not being able to insert because the column does not accept null values.  however, I have tested these columns by putting values into the fields in the web form.... HELP if you are using asp.net data presentation controls ( like formview ,detailsview , ....) Make sure to use Bind Expression instead of Eval in the Edit and Insert Templates of the contr...

Set Null Value to a Column...
Hello. I�m trying to use the set null value for column in a datawindows. The problem is that i have a datawindow external with two columns, each one of this columns contain a datawindow child. These make a function like a master detail. one dwChild(dwchild1) is referenced to a table product_group and the other one(dwchild2) to a table product. When i get the selecci�n of the group in the itemchanged event of the dwchild1 the retrieve is executed with one retrieval argument (group), and the list of product filtered out by the group selected is show up. I need to clear the v...

how to set null value to checkbox?
Hi, I have a column in a DW which editstyle is checkbox, when then checkbox status is off , how do I set data value to null? I don't want to write any script. Assuming this is a char/varchar column, make sure the column property <Empty String is Null> is checked for that column. If this is a numeric column, you may have to write a script for the item changed or updatestart event to set the column to NULL using a SetNull( <somevalue> ) and SetItem( <nullvalue> ) combo. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] simon <s314@163.net> wrote in m...

Datawindow NULL value comportment...
Hi, I have a DataWindow with a NULL value in aN INTEGER column. In the PowerScript : if I do : li = dw_1.Object.COL_INTEGER[1] li = li / 10 it return NULL wich is OK Now if I do : li = dw_1.Object.COL_INTEGER[1] / 10 it return 0 wich is not true should be NULL !!! Any help on this ? Please don't say I have to recode all my applications... it's not a serious workaround. PB 10.5.1 Buid 6551 Sounds like a "feature" in the way casting is done. Dot notation always returns an Any, which must then be cast into the appropriate data type. In the f...

PowerBuilder COM+ and null values
Hello there! I want to aks about passing null values to PowerBuilder COM+ methods. If I pass null value to a COM+ method, runtime error always occures. Is it possible to pass null values? In this document http://powerbuilder.hyderabadcolleges.com/Mastering-PowerBuilder-9-22-580.html I have read, that corba objects support this feature. Thanks a lot for any anwers J. Sejnoha CORBA does not support null values. PowerBuilder "gets around it" behind the scenes. However COM is a different specification. I don't remember specifically if COM supports null val...

How do I do to set a column in DataWindow with NULL
How do I do to set a column in DataWindow with NULL? (In a powerscript) Thanks Guilherme Kastrup You could use SetNull(). For example, String ls_something SetNull(ls_something) dw_1.SetItem(1,"col", ls_something) For string columns, you also can go into the properties for it in the DW painter, and select "Empty String is Null" in the edit tab. Hth, -- aperugini@pinndec.com Tony Perugini Principal Consultant CPDP, CPI, CSPdba, MCPS Pinnacle Decision Systems Inc. -->http://www.pinndec.com Guilherme Kastrup <kastrup@cyber.com.br> wrote ...

Setting Table Values to Null
 Hello All,I am trying to set a value in a table  to "NULL", but, can't seem to get to commit the action. I experienced a similar problem in clausing a WHERE statement recently (Had to use WHERE field IS NULL, not field = NULL)...Is there a similar construct for updating values? set ANSI_NULLS ONset QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ONGO-- =============================================-- Author: John Speranza-- Create date: 8.25.2008-- Description: Removes a section's parent...-- =============================================ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[CN_Section_RemoveParent]( @c...

how to set null values to the database ?
I have some textboxes that could be blank when the form is submitted. If so, I want those fields in SQL database table to be set NULL when the insert is executed. I also need to convert the values in these textbexes to either INT or String if there are values there. I tried the following. --Code int RowNumber; if (((TextBox)(e.Item.FindControl("RowNumber"))).Text != "" ) { RowNumber = int.Parse(((TextBox)(e.Item.FindControl("RowNumber"))).Text); } else { RowNumber = DBNULL.value; } --Code I got the error: C...

updateblob set null value
i need to clear blob value that is stored in SQL Server image datatype and when i use updatebblob sql setting the blob to null it raises sql error: Blob variable for UPDATEBLOB cannot be empty How else can I clear the image column value? egattu@yahoo.com wrote: > i need to clear blob value that is stored in SQL Server image datatype and > when i use updatebblob sql setting the blob to null it raises sql error: > Blob variable for UPDATEBLOB cannot be empty > > How else can I clear the image column value? > Did you try a normal update statement? UP...

=null; ----> "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: value"
That's what I get if I try to: HttpContext.Current.Cache["foo"] = null; And obviously, it's not the only possible case. So, my question is: what's a problem? :) Is it only objects I cannot assign "null" to? Or is it wrong attempt anyhow, trying to assign "null"? And to make it null what do I do? Do I have to destroy an object somehow? Correct me, please, if I'm wrong. Ok, I found that I can use method "Remove" on cached object so it'll become "null". Most (or all) objects can be assign with "null" like this: myObj = ...

How to set value to computed field in datawindow
I want to know how to set value to a computed field in a datawindow? Would you please tell me how to set it? Thank you very much! Fang Jing fangj@mail.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn In article <01bd4e68$2d2051a0$1766a8c0@fj.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn>, fangj@mail.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn says... > I want to know how to set value to a computed field in a datawindow? > > Would you please tell me how to set it? Thank you very much! > > Fang Jing > fangj@mail.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn > > As a workaround, you may want to use a computed column rather...

To set date mask for datawindows in Powerbuilder
Thanks Terry I will try this out. Re: To set date mask for datawindows in Powerbuilder. Please post in a PB newsgroup, e.g. powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow. Thisone is for Infomaker related issues. Anyways, you can probably define a routine where you parse through the column list and for each column determine its datatype. See DWSyntax for exact syntax. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer/ http://www.pb9books.com <udayan_majumdar> wrote in message news:003F1D07D64BB9DA000FB3E5...

How to set value to computed field in datawindow
I want to know how to set value to a computed field in a datawindow? Would you please tell me how to set it? Thank you very much! Fang Jing fangj@mail.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn Call dw.groupcalc() to recalculate computed fields. -- Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Fang Jing <fangj@mail.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn> wrote in article <01bd4e67$b0b08b80$1766a8c0@fj.nbfetic.zjpta.net.cn>... > I want to know how to set value to a computed field in a datawindow? > > Would you please tell me how to set it? Thank you very much! > > Fan...

Setting values in Filter buffer of datawindow
Hi all, Is there a way to loop through the filter buffer and change data in the columns? I don't want to have to remove my filter, loop, then reapply the filter, but right now that is all I can figure out to do. Thanks in advance for any help. SB SB, You can specify the buffer using dot notation. Just loop from 1 to FilteredCount() and specify your loop counter between brackets: dw_1.Object.<column name>.Filter[ll_rowindex] = <whatever> -- Regards, Millard[Team Sybase] Power3 - Custom Enterprise Training Stephen Barrett wrote in message ... ...

set null a column in all the row the datawindow
I have a datawindow where I want set a null a column in all the row with a only sentence. Actually I execute double ld_precilista setnull (ld_precilista) for ll_row = 1 to dw_articulos.rowcount( ) dw_articulos.setitem( ll_row , "campo5", ld_precilista) next I look for a good form, somebody knows it ...

setting a column of a datawindow for all rows to a value
Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to set all rows of a column in a datawindow to 1 value, without looping through all of the rows. I tried the: dw_export_marked_extract_c.Object.<column_name>.Primary[1, li_num_rows] = li_value but, it only sets the first row in the datawindow to the li_value. It did work with an array of li_value[], where every element is the same value. But you still have to loop through the array to populate it. Thanks ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Unless the data that you want to set the column to does NOT come from the database, one way or another looping will have to be done. Even if you use dot notation, you will need to create an array (in a loop) which will have to go on the right side of the assignment... > Hi, > > I was wondering if there was a way to set all rows of a > column in a datawindow to 1 value, without looping through > all of the rows. I tried the: > dw_export_marked_extract_c.Object.<column_name>.Primary[1, > li_num_rows] = li_value > but, it only sets the first row in the datawindow to the > li_value. It did work with an array of li_value[], where > every element is the same value. But you still have to > loop through the array to populate it. > > Thanks > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Web resources about - How to set a value to NULL - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Obama and Canada’s Justin Trudeau Promote Ties and Climate Plan
The two leaders announced commitments to reduce planet-warming emissions of methane and pledged cooperation in preserving the Arctic.

Facebook 360-Degree Videos Come to Oculus VR
Oculus VR announced the addition of a Facebook Videos tab to Oculus Video, which will bring the social network’s 360-degree videos into the virtual-reality ...

World Go Champion Loses Another Match To Google’s AI
AlphaGo is artificial intelligence developed by Google’s DeepMind unit and it’s proving to be more powerful than we had expected before. The ...

Apple v. FBI: government calls iPhone maker's arguments 'false'
U.S. Justice Department lawyers resume legal assault on Apple's refusal to comply with order requiring company to unlock iPhone in San Bernardino ...

Here's Our Best Look at Spider-Man's Fabulous New Costume
Okay, so you’ve watched the Civil War trailer a bunch of times to see that Spider-Man shot. You’ve probably seen it in all its animated-gif glory ...

In fight over locked iPhone, justice officials push back against Apple
Los Angeles Times In fight over locked iPhone, justice officials push back against Apple Los Angeles Times Justice officials on Thursday made ...

Lockdowns lifted at schools in Parkside; suspect in Philadelphia Police custody - 6abc.com
Lockdowns have been lifted at three Philadelphia schools after police found and arrested a male suspect they had been searching for.

Craig Ferguson To Star In ‘Crunch Time’ NBC Pilot, Kyle Howard & Kellee Stewart Also Cast
Celebrity Name Game host Craig Ferguson will be blending game show hosting and acting as the star of Crunch Time , NBC ’s hybrid game show/comedy. ...

ISPs won’t be allowed to serve targeted ads without customers’ permission
(credit: Illustration by Sean MacEntee ) Internet service providers and wireless carriers would have to seek permission from customers before ...

ECB takes rates deeper into negative territory
European Central Bank drops deposit rate to -0.4 percent and ups bond-buying to €80 billion a month.