How does a datawindow column get its name?

Q: How does a column get its name?

Pretext:
Datawindow is built using
Tabular - SQL Select - and Converted to Syntax.
On existing datawindow - the column names have been modified to strip off
the table names (so table name "company" was stripped from column name
"company_code" to make it as just "code").

Change:
I was changing this existing datawindow - adding one another column.
After adding the column into the SQL-SELECT, the datawindow display warning
message as
"SELECT change has forced update specification change" ( I have update
properties specified)
and
"The action just taken has forced the preview view to be rebuilt. You may
need to re-retrieve your data."

And what I see is some of the existing columns have disappeared. Because
they are renamed now, they move at the end - so here the "code" has been
renamed as "company_code". But that name too is not consistent. If I have
multiple tables in FROM clause, and I change the table order, I am not sure
which table name will be used as a prefix to the column name.

So my question is:
How does a datawindow column get its name?

TIA
Yogee

[PB 9.0 Build 6086]


0
Yogee
2/10/2004 6:10:01 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow 28057 articles. 4 followers. Follow

2 Replies
1760 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

If there is only 1 table in the FROM clause, the datawindow columns will be
just the database column without the table name prepended. With multiple
tables, however, the table name is prepended to the column name with an
underline as a separator to prevent abiguity.  If you strip off the table
name of the dw columns and then add new db columns, the new columns will
follow the above rules, I believe.

Larry
"Yogee" <yogee7@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:40291e79$1@forums-1-dub...
> Q: How does a column get its name?
>
> Pretext:
> Datawindow is built using
> Tabular - SQL Select - and Converted to Syntax.
> On existing datawindow - the column names have been modified to strip off
> the table names (so table name "company" was stripped from column name
> "company_code" to make it as just "code").
>
> Change:
> I was changing this existing datawindow - adding one another column.
> After adding the column into the SQL-SELECT, the datawindow display
warning
> message as
> "SELECT change has forced update specification change" ( I have update
> properties specified)
> and
> "The action just taken has forced the preview view to be rebuilt. You may
> need to re-retrieve your data."
>
> And what I see is some of the existing columns have disappeared. Because
> they are renamed now, they move at the end - so here the "code" has been
> renamed as "company_code". But that name too is not consistent. If I have
> multiple tables in FROM clause, and I change the table order, I am not
sure
> which table name will be used as a prefix to the column name.
>
> So my question is:
> How does a datawindow column get its name?
>
> TIA
> Yogee
>
> [PB 9.0 Build 6086]
>
>


0
Larry
2/10/2004 11:24:56 PM
Another question related to this issue:

I also observed that behaviour when creating a
DataWindowSyntax with SyntaxFromSQL method.
BUT not always. In fact I've tried my code on 2 different
database servers both on Oracle 9.2. On the first table
names are prepended and on the other they aren't in the
resulting DataWindowSyntax.
I'm running PB 8.0.3. Same transaction properties (except
server name) for the server connexion ...
Any ideas ?

> If there is only 1 table in the FROM clause, the
> datawindow columns will be just the database column
> without the table name prepended. With multiple tables,
> however, the table name is prepended to the column name
> with an underline as a separator to prevent abiguity.  If
> you strip off the table name of the dw columns and then
> add new db columns, the new columns will follow the above
> rules, I believe.
>
> Larry
> "Yogee" <yogee7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:40291e79$1@forums-1-dub... Q: How does a column get
> its name? >
> > Pretext:
> > Datawindow is built using
> > Tabular - SQL Select - and Converted to Syntax.
> > On existing datawindow - the column names have been
> > modified to strip off the table names (so table name
> > "company" was stripped from column name "company_code"
> to make it as just "code"). >
> > Change:
> > I was changing this existing datawindow - adding one
> > another column. After adding the column into the
> SQL-SELECT, the datawindow display warning
> > message as
> > "SELECT change has forced update specification change" (
> > I have update properties specified)
> > and
> > "The action just taken has forced the preview view to be
> > rebuilt. You may need to re-retrieve your data."
> >
> > And what I see is some of the existing columns have
> > disappeared. Because they are renamed now, they move at
> > the end - so here the "code" has been renamed as
> "company_code". But that name too is not consistent. If I
> > have multiple tables in FROM clause, and I change the
> table order, I am not sure
> > which table name will be used as a prefix to the column
> name. >
> > So my question is:
> > How does a datawindow column get its name?
> >
> > TIA
> > Yogee
> >
> > [PB 9.0 Build 6086]
> >
> >
>
>
0
wazyk
2/17/2004 5:48:28 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How can I get the column name of a datawindow column?
I want to get the column name in tablename.columnname format. I have tried to get it using dbname property. However, I found that it work only if the tables in the datawindow are inner join. If the tables in the datawindow are outer join, the dbname only return the columnname and the tablename is missed. Do you have any idea? Charles You could add the name to the select clause or to the tag property. Or you caould check to see if it is a join or not (by seeing if there is a '.' in the column name) if not then get the sql select statment and parse to find the table...

Getting Datawindow name from datawindow child variable
Hi ! I want to get the datawindow (name) from a datawindowchild variable. But, the dwc has no way to get it. I want the code like this : datawindowchild dwc dw_1.getchild("colname", dwc) dw_2.dataobject = dwc.dataobject -------------- -> X In the above code, "dw_1.object.colname.dddw.name" is what I want. But, from the "dwc", I can't know that. Please, help! thx. You're correct. There is no way to get the datawindow name from the datawindow child, you have to ask the paren...

how to get all the column names from datawindow
I would like to get all the column names from datawindow. any help apppreciated TIA //1. Column names Int li_col_count, ls_columns[] li_col_count = integer(idw.Describe("DataWindow.Column.Count")) FOR i = 1 TO li_col_count ls_columns[i] = idw.Describe("#" + String(i) + ".Name") Next //2. If you need to include CF's look at the Object.DataWindow.Objects string (tab separated) and parse it back to an array of DW objects. hth > I would like to get all the column names from datawindow. > > any help apppreciated > TIA...

How to get Column names from dynamic Datawindow?
Attached is a piece of code that opens a datastore based on a datawindow which is itself based on a stored procedure that takes two parameters. There are two records in the dataset. The problem is thus: this code will be customized in each application but the "linked" list it will be stored in is part of a PFC service that will not know the number/names of fields until run time. That code is generic and creates the initial linked list from records stored in a table that "defines" the number/names of fields. Since the code must not make any assumptions about the ...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...
Blah blah blah You've heard it enough that you don't even want to comment on how many times... The DataWindow. ....but it can't be enough anymore...can it? This from one of our colleagues (and yes my apologies for taking it out of context)... "...PB covers all you need to do that in ONE Tool. This includes Windowprogramming ( meaning the interface to the user: Windows, Sheets, diallougeboxes, etc.), Database operability AND Reporting! Well, I see als well as many other PB users that some of the implementations and features PB offers are improvable. But thi...

CrossTab Datawindows and Getting the Column Names
Hi, I'm kind of new to the Crosstab Datawindow. Currently, we are trying to develop a Crosstab Datawindow to show a grid similar to: Extra Small Small Medium Large Extra Large Blue 1 Red 1 Green 1 Yellow 1 with empty boes to type in. This would be used when someone is taking an order for shirts, for example. I can pretty much get this far. My problem is when I am trying to get the name for the Columns. I am using the...

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

datawindow column names and multi-table datawindows 5.0.04 -> 6.5
Has anybody out there noticed problems with the dynamic creation of multi-table datawindows and referring to the datawindow columns? In 5.0.04 PowerBuilder automatically prefixed each datawindow column with the table name(e.g. table_name_column_name). This is now broken in PB 6.5. Why did this change in 6.5? What necessitated this change so that all Sybase customers are forced to perform costly regression testing on PowerBuilder applications? Windows 95 PB Enterprise 6.5 ODBC - any dbms( Sql Any, MS SQL, Oracle, Sybase ASE, Quadbase ) ...

DataWindow.NET
I'm using DataWindow.NET 1.5.1 9004 on a Windows XP Professional SP 2 machine with the latest Microsoft Update patches. The release notes indicate that change request 385532 is corrected. However, if I configure my computer to use a Windows XP theme the border does not render as expected; a blue bordered box is displayed. If I configure my computer to use a Windows Classic theme the border is rendered as expected. Is there something else I need to do to get the datawindow object column borders to render correctly when using a Windows XP theme? Ken Are you using 3D Lower...

Hide datawindow column in html datawindow
Is there anyway I can hide a datawindow column in the generated html? I can't make the visible property to false because doing that will not generate the column. I want the column with type as hidden in generated javascript. -Hitesh I don't think this is in the works for the next release but I know of several people who have mentioned it in the past. Try adding an enhancement request (I think you can do this through my.sybase.com). steve [TeamSybase] Hitesh Patel wrote: > > Is there anyway I can hide a datawindow column in the generated html? I > can&...

Getting datawindow Properties from within datawindow??
PB7.0.3 hi, i would like to create a custom userObject uo_myDW that inherits from DataWindow and stuff some default behaviour into it. For a new app i'm writing, i need a pile of input windows, all sharing the same functionality. I'd like to build uo_myDW so that in incorporates all standard 'inputDW-behaviour'. Here 's what i want to do For one of these functionalities mentioned above, i need the collection of uo_myDW's columns that are 'Tab-able' (have a tabindex > 0), and store them in a instance var ids_DWColumns for future reference. ...

How to get a column property in a datawindow column object expression?
Hi, I have a free style datawindow, I want such expression: columnA.x = IF(columnB.visible, columnB.x + 100, 200) Yes, you can get it in script, but I just want set it in datawindow. Anyone can help? Bo Song soong@188.net Hi Bo, AFAIK, you cannot reference object properties in the expression. That would be nice... -- - Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 Bo Song <soong@188.net> wrote in message 36D52106.433CE9B2@188.net... >Hi, >I have a free style data...

Datawindow Column name
Hi, How i can to get the column's name with it index. I tried this in a datawindow with 10 columns: ----------------- String name; int i; for i=1 to dw.rowCount() name = dw.describe("#" + i + ".name") messagebox("",name) next ----------------- but when i going to try it only show me the name of the first column (1) dont work with 2,3... etc. you know any other method ?? What i can do ?? regards You are looping on a rowcount() - it does NOT have anything to do with column count. Yup. You need to use Integer (Describe ("...

how to get the name of datawindow ?
I have a datawindow 'dw_sample' , I put a new expression in that datawindow : "describe('datawindow.name')", but it return the result : 'datawindow', and not the name 'dw_sample' am I describe the wrong expression ? you can't get the name of the datawindow from within the datawindow. "wong KS" <wongkingsu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4827199e@forums-1-dub... >I have a datawindow 'dw_sample' , I put a new expression in that datawindow : >"describe('datawindow.name')", but it return...

Web resources about - How does a datawindow column get its name? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

PowerBuilder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PowerBuilder is an integrated development environment owned by Sybase , a division of SAP . It has been in use since 1991, peaking around 1998 ...

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys
Should I use business columns as primary key fields for tables in thedatabase, or generate artificial primary key values? When business-related ...

chevy volt
ProEXR File Description =Attributes= channels (chlist) compression (compression): Zip dataWindow (box2i): [0, 0, 5119, 2475] displayWindow (box2i): ...

Enable - A comprehensive solution for the localization of PowerBuilder applications Untitled Document ...
Enable is localization/ translation tool used by PowerBuilder developers to make their applications multilingual.Enable is a powerful tool that ...

comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects - Google Groups
comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects 1-20 von 33006 Themen werden angezeigt Integrity of a file marcosm...@gmail.com 09:35 Combobox value Lu 08:12 ...

Sybase PowerBuilder tool readied for Microsoft's .Net
Developers can choose Win32 or newer style .Net development

PowerToTheBuilder - PowerBuilder UI Controls
HOME - COMPONENTS - PB UI DESIGNER - DOWNLOAD\PURCHASE - SUPPORT - FAQ - ABOUT Take Control of your UI with PB Ultimate Suite PowerToTheBuilder.com ...

Beautiful iPad Mini 3 Concept Reimagines Appleā€™s Tablet With iPhone 6 Design, Gold Color [Images]
The iPhone 6 may be grabbing all of the recent headlines due to its impending announcement, but spare a thought for those who prefer to stay ...

Java Networking - Real's HowTo
Real's HowTo Custom Search Java Language String and Number Applet AWT Swing Environment IO Javascript interaction JDBC Thread Networking JSP ...

Business Intelligence Products - Database Management, Data Warehousing & Mobility Software - Sybase Inc ...
Sybase offers a variety of Business Intelligence (BI) software like products for database management, data warehousing and mining, data integration ...

Resources last updated: 11/26/2015 4:36:28 PM