How can I get the column name of a datawindow column?

I want to get the column name in tablename.columnname format. I have tried
to get it using dbname property. However, I found that it work only if the
tables in the datawindow are inner join.  If the tables in the datawindow
are outer join, the dbname only return the columnname and the tablename is
missed.

Do you have any idea?

Charles

0
charles

You could add the name to the select clause or to the tag property.  Or you
caould check to see if it is a join or not (by seeing if there is a '.' in the
column name)  if not then get the sql select statment and parse to find the
table name.  Another thing if the tabel is updateablr then check the
UpdateTable property.

charles wrote:

> I want to get the column name in tablename.columnname format. I have tried
> to get it using dbname property. However, I found that it work only if the
> tables in the datawindow are inner join.  If the tables in the datawindow
> are outer join, the dbname only return the columnname and the tablename is
> missed.
>
> Do you have any idea?
>
> Charles

0
Ken

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

how to get all the column names from datawindow
I would like to get all the column names from datawindow. any help apppreciated TIA //1. Column names Int li_col_count, ls_columns[] li_col_count = integer(idw.Describe("DataWindow.Column.Count")) FOR i = 1 TO li_col_count ls_columns[i] = idw.Describe("#" + String(i) + ".Name") Next //2. If you need to include CF's look at the Object.DataWindow.Objects string (tab separated) and parse it back to an array of DW objects. hth > I would like to get all the column names from datawindow. > > any help apppreciated > TIA...

How does a datawindow column get its name?
Q: How does a column get its name? Pretext: Datawindow is built using Tabular - SQL Select - and Converted to Syntax. On existing datawindow - the column names have been modified to strip off the table names (so table name "company" was stripped from column name "company_code" to make it as just "code"). Change: I was changing this existing datawindow - adding one another column. After adding the column into the SQL-SELECT, the datawindow display warning message as "SELECT change has forced update specification change" ( I have update pro...

How to get a column property in a datawindow column object expression?
Hi, I have a free style datawindow, I want such expression: columnA.x = IF(columnB.visible, columnB.x + 100, 200) Yes, you can get it in script, but I just want set it in datawindow. Anyone can help? Bo Song soong@188.net Hi Bo, AFAIK, you cannot reference object properties in the expression. That would be nice... -- - Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 Bo Song <soong@188.net> wrote in message 36D52106.433CE9B2@188.net... >Hi, >I have a free style data...

How to get Column names from dynamic Datawindow?
Attached is a piece of code that opens a datastore based on a datawindow which is itself based on a stored procedure that takes two parameters. There are two records in the dataset. The problem is thus: this code will be customized in each application but the "linked" list it will be stored in is part of a PFC service that will not know the number/names of fields until run time. That code is generic and creates the initial linked list from records stored in a table that "defines" the number/names of fields. Since the code must not make any assumptions about the ...

CrossTab Datawindows and Getting the Column Names
Hi, I'm kind of new to the Crosstab Datawindow. Currently, we are trying to develop a Crosstab Datawindow to show a grid similar to: Extra Small Small Medium Large Extra Large Blue 1 Red 1 Green 1 Yellow 1 with empty boes to type in. This would be used when someone is taking an order for shirts, for example. I can pretty much get this far. My problem is when I am trying to get the name for the Columns. I am using the...

How we can change control from one column to specific column in datawindow
How we can change control from one column to specific column in datawindow programatically. Let's suppoose there are three column in datawindow 1: Name 2: address 3: Phone when we open the window, Tab or Cursor is on column 1 (Name) now i have one button ...i want to write code in that button...when i click that button control or tab or cursor goto the phone column. Please somebody tell me how i can do this... thanks noaman mughal SetColumn. -- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder http://www.pb9...

How I can get the column header name when i clicked on the concerned column header
Hi All I had a problem in getting the columnheader name . I had tried with dw.getcolumnname but not successfull . I was in very big dilema where to write the code(i mean what 'event') . Suppose i had a fullname as my columnheader then i should able to get the fullname when i click on that column. thanks vasu Vasu: You will want to code this in the clicked event. You can look at GetBandatPointer() and GetObjectatPointer() functions in help. HTH, Austin "vasu" <vasu@i-vantage.com> wrote in message news:UfS3lsO2CHA.345@forums.sybase.com... ...

HOW CAN I GET THE COLUMN TYPE WHEN I DON'T HAVE COLUMN NAME
Hi , We have developed one application, now we would like to change the format/edit mask depends on the parameters. To do so I should know the column type. My question is HOW CAN I GET THE COLUMN TYPE ? WHEN I DON'T HAVE COLUMN NAME. In other words if I have array of columns in a datawindow and I want to check the column type one by one for each column no. If I code like this , it gives compilation error. long ll_col_count , ll_kount string ls_col_type ll_col_count = integer(dw_1.object.datawindow.column.count) for ll_kount = 1 to ll_col_count ls_col_...

datawindow column names and multi-table datawindows 5.0.04 -> 6.5
Has anybody out there noticed problems with the dynamic creation of multi-table datawindows and referring to the datawindow columns? In 5.0.04 PowerBuilder automatically prefixed each datawindow column with the table name(e.g. table_name_column_name). This is now broken in PB 6.5. Why did this change in 6.5? What necessitated this change so that all Sybase customers are forced to perform costly regression testing on PowerBuilder applications? Windows 95 PB Enterprise 6.5 ODBC - any dbms( Sql Any, MS SQL, Oracle, Sybase ASE, Quadbase ) ...

Datawindow Column Name
Hi, Is it possible to get a datawindow's column name from it's dbname. I need do a find on the datawindow using the column name but since our column names are created dynamically i.e col1, col2 etc i need to find the corresponding column name to it's dbname. Thanks I'm not getting entirely what you're trying to achieve, but here are some hints. When you create a datawindow from a SQL Select statement for each of the db columns from your statement PB generates corresponding DW column (control). If you observe the Column Specification pane in the Datawindo...

Datawindow Column Names
Hi, Does anyone remember what the dwSyntax command is to return the columns on a datawindow (in an array format)? I cannot seem to find it in the help. Thanks, Jim you can read the source code of f_dw_get_objects in PFC, or just retrieve columns list by dw.object.datawindow.objects. Jim Cuoco <cuoco@ma.ultranet.com> wrote in message news:JADvY3tnBHA.133@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone remember what the dwSyntax command is to return the columns > on a datawindow (in an array format)? I cannot seem to find it in the help. > >...

Datawindow Column name
Hi, How i can to get the column's name with it index. I tried this in a datawindow with 10 columns: ----------------- String name; int i; for i=1 to dw.rowCount() name = dw.describe("#" + i + ".name") messagebox("",name) next ----------------- but when i going to try it only show me the name of the first column (1) dont work with 2,3... etc. you know any other method ?? What i can do ?? regards You are looping on a rowcount() - it does NOT have anything to do with column count. Yup. You need to use Integer (Describe ("...

Datawindow column names
We have some datawindows that are fairly large (75Kb+), with 220+ columns (there is a lot of Oracle decoding going on) as well as some computed columns. Every time that we change the SQL statement, the datawindow painter changes the name of the columns, prefixing the column names with the table names. What are the rules concerning what type of change to the datawindow SQL statement causes this to happen? And is there a way to configure/fool the datawindow painter to stop it from renaming the columns everytime we modify the SQL? This is PB5.0.2 on Win95 running against Oracle 7.2. Than...

Web resources about - How can I get the column name of a datawindow column? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo