HELP!!sqlsvr6.5 + pb6.0 locks DB when client calls stored proc!!!

Database is locking up when a powerbuilder datawindow which has a data
source of a stored procedure does a retrieve. the only way to release the
locks is to put a "commit" after the line of the code which does the
retrieve. the stored proc has only select statements which select the data
into a temp table. tried to make the whole select statement a transaction
inside the stored proc to no effect.
in another scenario, the db puts exclusive locks on system tables numbered
1, 2, 3, 6, 9 and 13....any idea why?  at this time the client is only doing
datastore retrieves..
Thanks in advance...
Jitendra Khar�

0
Jitendra

Jitendra,

You don't say what your database is, but I recently had a similar situation
with MS Sql Server. I have two comments:
-- if you are running with Autocommit = FALSE in the PB front end, switch it
to TRUE instead. When Autocommit is FALSE, you are always in a database
transaction and even a SELECT may cause locking--even table locks if you are
selecting or scanning a high percentage of the rows in a table.

With autocommit TRUE, the default is not to be in a transaction. Then, you
can explicitly initiate transactions when you wish (i.e., when you are
updating data and want to roll back if necessary) by using EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
and submitting BEGINs, COMMITs, and ROLLBACKs.

-- depending on what you are doing with the temp table, the temporary
database (tempdb) could be getting locked. This is especially the case if
you have a large SELECT INTO a temp table. If tempdb is locked, SQL Server
(or Sybase) will just about stop functioning.

HTH,
Eric Tanafon

Jitendra Khar� wrote in message ...
>Database is locking up when a powerbuilder datawindow which has a data
>source of a stored procedure does a retrieve. the only way to release the
>locks is to put a "commit" after the line of the code which does the
>retrieve. the stored proc has only select statements which select the data
>into a temp table. tried to make the whole select statement a transaction
>inside the stored proc to no effect.
>in another scenario, the db puts exclusive locks on system tables numbered
>1, 2, 3, 6, 9 and 13....any idea why?  at this time the client is only
doing
>datastore retrieves..
>Thanks in advance...
>Jitendra Khar�

0
Eric
6/3/1998 4:57:44 PM
Oh, now I'm looking at your title again and you do say you're using SQL
Server 6.5. That's my situation too.

-- Eric

0
Eric

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

bad PB6.0 PB6.5 datawindows
Hi 1) I have a column in datawindow that has #,##0.00;[RED](#,##0.00) format. I see negative numbers in red on screen, but when I print it it doesn't appear. 2) Some number and dates columns in crosstab datawindows shows 0 or ??/??/?? in all rows. 3) It didn't happend in PB5.0, But in PB6.0 and PB6.5 it happens 4) Are there any patch more? Can anyone help me? Regards. Angel On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:50:52 -0000, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow forums.sybase.com <achata@tinka.com.pe> wrote: >Hi >1) I have a column in datawindow th...

PowerBuilder 9.0.1 crashes when datawindow SQL calls stored procedures
We use PowerBuilder 9.0.1 on MS Windows XP Professional, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 29 GB free disk space, with Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle 8.7.1. We installed the 9.0.1 patch on Sept. 9. On the surface, all looked fine. On Sept. 10, we had to change a query behind a datawindow, and PB would keep crashing and shutting down everytime we tried to open the SQL view (syntax mode). It turns out that that datawindow is not the only one that has that problem. Almost all our other datawindows suffers from the same problem. In particular, the problem almost always hits...

Help me,not install oracle client, what link oracle db using pb6.5 application
Help me,not install oracle client, what link oracle db using pb6.5 application Thanks. Help me out here... are you asking how to create a odbc/native connection to the Oracle DB? "fuyuan" <fuyuan@softhome.net> wrote in message news:$tm8BLG0AHA.191@forums.sybase.com... > Help me,not install oracle client, what link oracle db using pb6.5 > application > Thanks. > > ...

calling a stored proc from a stored proc
Hi Group! I'm on ASA 8.02 Build 4411 writing sprocs in WATCOM SQL. I have a sproc which breaks a given string-parameter into pieces. It's result set contains the pieces, e.g. last line of sproc: "select item from mytable;". This sproc works fine. Now I need to call this procedure from another procedure which has a variable result set. I tried the following: <snip... set ll_retval = 0; call sp_breakstring(as_bzp,','); BreakLoop: while ll_retval <> 100 and not ll_retval < 0 loop set li_zaehler = li_zaehler + 1; fetch next sp_breakstrin...

PB 5.0.04 Oracle 7.3 Stored procs datawindow source with Number arguments.
Hi all. We are developing in PB 5.0.04, Oracle 7.3 using the native drivers. We have a particular issue. When a dw with a stored proc as source has numeric parameters, if we pass null for the number argument, the native driver converts it to 0. This is definitely not what we want. I have narrowed it to the native driver ( put raise_application_error messages in the stored proc.). What can be done? Thanks in advance. Please reply to mvaxman@attcanada.net Mark Vaxman Senior PowerBuilder Developer, Ministry of Health. ...

pb6.5 with oracle6.5 stored proc very very urgent!!!!!!!!!
Hi A stored procedures containing simple update/insert without any return arguments( where thereis no output returned back to PB from Oracle). But for cases where there is return value from Oracle to PB( getting result set back), it fails miserably. I am receiving the following error. Error ==> -1 SQLSTATE = 37000 Microsoft ODBC driver for oracle ORA 06550. line 1 column 31: PLS 00103 Encountered the Symbol "W" when expecting one of the foll. [] - +mod not null others <an identifier> <a double-quoted delimited-identifier.> If some one has any Idea...

Converting v.5.0.5 db to v.9.0.1 db.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub40460788 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I am getting the attached error when trying to convert. Any idea? I am using SQL Anywhere Studio 9 to do this, but because it only converts dbs v.7 or later, it says I need to unload and reload. The error is generated when it tries to unload. Thanks in advance, jp ---=_forums-2-dub40460788 Content-Type: text/plain; name="scj_errors.txt" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; f...

Can I create a datawindow in PB6.5 using Store Procedure in MS SQL Server 7.0 as it's data source?
I created a Stored Procedure in MS SQL Server 7.0,and created a DataWindow in PB 6.5 using it as data source. First I use PB 6.5 native driver,I got such error message:Cannot create DataWindow. 'Data-conversion resulted in overflow. 1 execute dbo.P_TEST;1' Then I use ODBC,the columns were listed,but when I retrieved the data,I got another error message: Select error:SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Program type out of range. Can you help me? What types of columns are you retrieving in the sp? The 2 errors sound very similar. st...

Sysbase 5.5 DB and 6.0.3 client
I have a Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5 database running on an NT server. I have another NT workstation with the 6.0.3 client utilities loaded. I am receiving a message unable to start database server. The database server is running. Any suggestions? Nevin You must use the appropriate version of the utilities to connect to the respective versions of servers. SQL Anywhere does not talk to ASA and vice versa. The communication methods were changed for ASA. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm ...

Help: PB6.5 or PB7.0 and MS-SQLServer6.5
Hi, I'm using PB7.0, but also happen in PB6.5. This problem is with MS SQLServer 6.5 and ODBC. When I try view the DataBase with database painter the messagebox is: "Catalog tables could not be created and are not available for use" .... what happen? This error generate other error in datawindows painter, when i try use graphic mode show this error: "Table [TABLE] has no columns, possible invalid table format, Do you want to continue in graphic mode?" And other problem is with de retrieve argumental in datawindows, this arguments launch error: ...

Web resources about - HELP!!sqlsvr6.5 + pb6.0 locks DB when client calls stored proc!!! - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow