Getting Datawindow name from datawindow child variable

Hi !

I want to get the datawindow (name) from a datawindowchild variable.
But, the dwc has no way to get it.

I want the code like this :

    datawindowchild dwc

    dw_1.getchild("colname", dwc)

    dw_2.dataobject = dwc.dataobject
                               -------------- -> X

In the above code, "dw_1.object.colname.dddw.name" is what I want.
But, from the "dwc", I can't know that.

Please, help!

thx.

0
Hoseop

You're correct.  There is no way to get the datawindow name from the
datawindow child, you have to ask the parent datawindow.  So, what's
wrong with simply doing that?

On Thu, 6 May 1999 00:54:05 +0900,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Hoseop Ahn <hsahn@kaist.ac.kr> wrote:
>Hi !
>
>I want to get the datawindow (name) from a datawindowchild variable.
>But, the dwc has no way to get it.
>
>I want the code like this :
>
>    datawindowchild dwc
>
>    dw_1.getchild("colname", dwc)
>
>    dw_2.dataobject = dwc.dataobject
>                               -------------- -> X
>
>In the above code, "dw_1.object.colname.dddw.name" is what I want.
>But, from the "dwc", I can't know that.
>
>Please, help!
>
>thx.

Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html
0
Bruce
5/6/1999 5:15:05 AM
> You're correct.  There is no way to get the datawindow name from the
> datawindow child, you have to ask the parent datawindow.  So, what's
> wrong with simply doing that?

Simply, I want the number of columns and their column names, from the dwc.
(They can be extracted by applying the datawindow name to a dw control, I
think)

I tried to get the parent of dwc, but "what" is the parent of dwc?

    datawindowchild dwc
    dw_1.getchild("dddwcolumn", dwc)

    datawindow prnt
    prnt = dwc.getparent()

This script has no errors.
But, "prnt" has no attribute and is not a datawindow control, right?

BTW, while making the trouble with dwc, I learned new technique about dwc.

    // col1 and col2 are the column names in the datawindowchild

    firstcolvalue = dw_1.object.dddwcolumn.dwc.object.col1[row]
    dw_1.object.dddwcolumn.dwc.object.col2[row] = secondcolvalue

Wow, the variable dwc can be included in the above syntax.
Useless technique for my purpose, though...

Thx.

0
Hoseop
5/6/1999 8:37:34 AM
The number of columns in datawindowchild = ldwc.describe
("datawindow.column.count")
Name of column = ldwc.describe ("#" + string (col_nr) + ".name")

Joanna

PS
Parent for your datawindow child is dw_1.

0
Joanna
5/6/1999 11:20:15 AM
Joanna gave you one approach.  The other is to parse the DataWindow.Objects
property of the dwc.  Both approaches work fine, it's just a matter of which
way you want to code it.

On Thu, 6 May 1999 17:37:34 +0900,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Hoseop Ahn <hsahn@kaist.ac.kr> wrote:
>> You're correct.  There is no way to get the datawindow name from the
>> datawindow child, you have to ask the parent datawindow.  So, what's
>> wrong with simply doing that?
>>

>Simply, I want the number of columns and their column names, from the dwc.
>(They can be extracted by applying the datawindow name to a dw control, I
>think)
>
>I tried to get the parent of dwc, but "what" is the parent of dwc?
>
>    datawindowchild dwc
>    dw_1.getchild("dddwcolumn", dwc)
>
>    datawindow prnt
>    prnt = dwc.getparent()
>
>This script has no errors.
>But, "prnt" has no attribute and is not a datawindow control, right?
>
>BTW, while making the trouble with dwc, I learned new technique about dwc.
>
>    // col1 and col2 are the column names in the datawindowchild
>
>    firstcolvalue = dw_1.object.dddwcolumn.dwc.object.col1[row]
>    dw_1.object.dddwcolumn.dwc.object.col2[row] = secondcolvalue
>
>Wow, the variable dwc can be included in the above syntax.
>Useless technique for my purpose, though...
>
>Thx.

---

http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html

Bruce
5/6/1999 2:40:05 PM
Thanks, Joanna!

It works fine.

Joanna Golda <zm1@astro.coig.katowice.pl> wrote :
> The number of columns in datawindowchild = ldwc.describe
> ("datawindow.column.count")
> Name of column = ldwc.describe ("#" + string (col_nr) + ".name")
>

> Joanna
>
> PS
> Parent for your datawindow child is dw_1.

0
Hoseop
5/6/1999 6:34:36 PM
I tried your suggestion like this:
    ncol = integer(dwc.datawindow.object.column.count)
    ncol = integer(dwc.object.datawindow.column.count)
and it caused compile error:
    incompatible property datawindow (or object(s)) for type
datawindowchild.

Isn't it the way you suggested?

And where is the reference for datawindowchild ?
I couldn't find any help in the PB manual book
(DataWindow Reference, ...)
about dwchild.

Thanks.

> Joanna gave you one approach.  The other is to parse the
DataWindow.Objects
> property of the dwc.  Both approaches work fine, it's just a matter of
which
> way you want to code it.

0
Hoseop
5/6/1999 6:49:51 PM
I think you misunderstood me.  The Datawindow.Objects property is a tab
delimited string that contains the names of all of the objects in the
datawindow object.  You just do:

string  ls_objects

ls_objects = dwc.DataWidow.Objects

and then parse out the objects from the string.

On Fri, 7 May 1999 03:49:51 +0900,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Hoseop Ahn <hsahn@kaist.ac.kr> wrote:
>I tried your suggestion like this:
>    ncol = integer(dwc.datawindow.object.column.count)
>    ncol = integer(dwc.object.datawindow.column.count)
>and it caused compile error:
>    incompatible property datawindow (or object(s)) for type
>datawindowchild.
>
>Isn't it the way you suggested?
>
>And where is the reference for datawindowchild ?
>I couldn't find any help in the PB manual book
>(DataWindow Reference, ...)
>about dwchild.
>
>Thanks.
>
>> Joanna gave you one approach.  The other is to parse the
>DataWindow.Objects
>> property of the dwc.  Both approaches work fine, it's just a matter of
>which
>> way you want to code it.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html

Bruce
5/6/1999 11:25:52 PM
P.S.  If dot notation doesn't work for the DataWindow.Objects property,
you can use Describe instead to get it.

On Fri, 7 May 1999 03:49:51 +0900,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Hoseop Ahn <hsahn@kaist.ac.kr> wrote:
>I tried your suggestion like this:
>    ncol = integer(dwc.datawindow.object.column.count)
>    ncol = integer(dwc.object.datawindow.column.count)
>and it caused compile error:
>    incompatible property datawindow (or object(s)) for type
>datawindowchild.
>
>Isn't it the way you suggested?
>
>And where is the reference for datawindowchild ?
>I couldn't find any help in the PB manual book
>(DataWindow Reference, ...)
>about dwchild.
>
>Thanks.
>
>> Joanna gave you one approach.  The other is to parse the
>DataWindow.Objects
>> property of the dwc.  Both approaches work fine, it's just a matter of
>which
>> way you want to code it.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html

Bruce

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Datawindows with child datawindows

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

Any way to get the parent of a child datawindow in a composite datawindow?
Using PB 8.0.3 9704 on Win2K. I have a DataWindowChild that came from a GetChild() call for a composite datawindow. At runtime, I don't "know" what composite datawindow is the parent of the child datawindow. Any ideas on how to get this information? I tried DataWindowChild.GetParent(). Compiles fine and "Help" says this should work, but all I get is a null object reference. Thanks in advance... Is this a problem with a poorly designed function signature? Succesfull GetChild call could ONLY have been done with having a reference to the datawindow...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

datawindow

DataWindow Within DataWindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

Getting datawindow Properties from within datawindow??
PB7.0.3 hi, i would like to create a custom userObject uo_myDW that inherits from DataWindow and stuff some default behaviour into it. For a new app i'm writing, i need a pile of input windows, all sharing the same functionality. I'd like to build uo_myDW so that in incorporates all standard 'inputDW-behaviour'. Here 's what i want to do For one of these functionalities mentioned above, i need the collection of uo_myDW's columns that are 'Tab-able' (have a tabindex > 0), and store them in a instance var ids_DWColumns for future reference. ...

To find Datawindow Control name on the basis of datawindow
Can any one please help me, how can I find the datawindow control name on the basis os datawindow name, say for example I know the datawindow name, say d_test I want to the winsdow name or user object where the associated datawindow control is available. Thanks ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp At runtime or design time. At design time you could just do a target wide search for 'd_test' and see where it is used. Runtime you'd need to walk through objects, examining the dw object assigned to each dw c...

how to get the number of rows of a datawindow nested in another datawindow?
Hi All! Has anyone an idea how to get the number of rows of a datawindow nested in another datawindow? I have a datastore l_ds = CREATE datastore l_ds.dataobject = "d_invoice" l_ds.SetTransObject(SQLCA) li_rows = l_ds.Retrieve(... and so on I am able to access a value in the nested datawindow like this: l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[1] l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[2] l_ds.Object.d_items[1].Object.item_description[3] (d_items is the nested datawindow) But I do not know how to retrieve the number of rows of the nested...

Web resources about - Getting Datawindow name from datawindow child variable - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo