GetFullStateBlob in a Web Datawindow?????

All,

I am involved in an effort to move an existing PowerBuilder reporting
application to a web environment.  We have rewritten the guts of the
business logic and put it in NVOs.  We are hosting them in MTS.  I have
begun creating the new frontend and have run into a problem.

The main functionality of the app is to lead the user thru a "wizard"
that gathers information using a series of DWs.  When complete the
information is written to the database and the report is generated from
the information in the database row.

I would like to create a single ASP page (I am using Visual Interdev 6)
that for each datawindow does a SetFullState, the user fill in the info
and clicks "Next" (wizard style) and the page does a SetFullState back to
the NVO and then does a GetFullState to get the datawindow corresponding
to the next step in the process.  What we are trying to achieve is a VERY
thin frontend.

When I look thru the JavaScript functions available to the Web DW, I see
functions like GetItem and SetItem, but none along the lines of
GetFullStateBlob, GetFullState or SetFullState.  Now the PB7
documentation defines these functions as being available for the
"DataWindow Web ActiveX".

What are we missing here?  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance...

Chris
 Chris Johnson	   PSA Consulting
 864.470.5948      http://www.psaconsulting.com
0
cjohnson

Seems like we are facing the same problem. We also want to use NVO to do
getfullstat and setfullstat, but we are still helpless. I am not sure we can
use DTC to setfullstat. Can you write to me if you find anything in this
direction. I will write to you if I can figure something out. If you are not
going to share NVO between PB and Web, you might want to go for DTC.

Chris Johnson wrote:

> All,
>
> I am involved in an effort to move an existing PowerBuilder reporting
> application to a web environment.  We have rewritten the guts of the
> business logic and put it in NVOs.  We are hosting them in MTS.  I have
> begun creating the new frontend and have run into a problem.
>
> The main functionality of the app is to lead the user thru a "wizard"
> that gathers information using a series of DWs.  When complete the
> information is written to the database and the report is generated from
> the information in the database row.
>
> I would like to create a single ASP page (I am using Visual Interdev 6)
> that for each datawindow does a SetFullState, the user fill in the info
> and clicks "Next" (wizard style) and the page does a SetFullState back to
> the NVO and then does a GetFullState to get the datawindow corresponding
> to the next step in the process.  What we are trying to achieve is a VERY
> thin frontend.
>
> When I look thru the JavaScript functions available to the Web DW, I see
> functions like GetItem and SetItem, but none along the lines of
> GetFullStateBlob, GetFullState or SetFullState.  Now the PB7
> documentation defines these functions as being available for the
> "DataWindow Web ActiveX".
>
> What are we missing here?  Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Chris
> --
> --
>  Chris Johnson     PSA Consulting
>  864.470.5948      http://www.psaconsulting.com

0
Hitesh
10/1/1999 6:14:18 PM
If you intend to use this with the Sybase Web DataWindow, you will need to
use a service class to do this, but that solution leaves a ton to be
desired.

If you're interested, we are offering a free EAStudio framework that does,
among other things, exactly what you're asking, except that it uses
ResultSets instead of DW Synch to get away from the DataWindow dependence of
DW Synch.  The web datawindow that we have developed is simply an extension
of our BusinessObject/InterfaceManager architecture.  It's completely
dynamic and quite flexible.  Once you create an InterfaceManager component,
you simply tell your PD template, ASP, through very minimal code, to give
you a web version of any of the InterfaceManager's Datasets, both by string
name.  Datasets are basically DataWindow objects in their simplest form but
can be extended to provide a whole host of additional functionality.  The
great thing about this design is that other client types are as easy and use
the exact same server code.  For example, a PB client works very similarly.
You tell it which InterfaceManager, by string name, you want to use and then
tell it which datasets you want by assigning a dataset to a
datastore/datawindow on the client.  Our client side helper services take
care of the rest.  Most importantly, all of your applications seamlessly
talk to the exact same objects on the server without change.  This gets you
away from the issue you are dealing with now of the harsh disconnect between
web datawindow clients and server objects.

I could go on forever here, but you can find much better information on our
web site.  If you're interested in getting more details or registering for
the source, you can do both on-line at our web site at
http://www.dyn-data.com.

Carson

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
http://www.dyn-data.com