GetChild on Nested Report that contains Nested Reports?

I have a composite report that contains five nested reports. One of the
nested reports contains nested reports within it. GetChild does not work on
this NR. This was listed under the GetChild help.

Nested reports: You cannot use GetChild to get a reference to a report in a
composite DataWindow when the report itself is a composite or nested
DataWindow.

I need to get a handle to this NR so I can apply translations. Any ideas?

0
Jeff

There are multiple rows, therefore PB doesn't know
which nested report to apply the change to.
What type of change are you doing?

> I have a composite report that contains five nested
> reports. One of the  nested reports contains nested
> reports within it. GetChild does not work on  this NR.
> This was listed under the GetChild help.
>
> Nested reports: You cannot use GetChild to get a reference
> to a report in a  composite DataWindow when the report
> itself is a composite or nested  DataWindow.
>
> I need to get a handle to this NR so I can apply
> translations. Any ideas?

0
dawnbrowneyes
7/2/2007 11:20:10 PM
This report is pretty complex. I try to avoid nested reports within a nested
report because of the getchild issue. To get this particular report to do
everything we wanted I ended up placing two NR's within this one NR. The one
is in a group header and the other is in the detail band. I was more
concerned with getting the report to work and achieved that, now I have to
deal with the translations. I guess I was wondering if there is some other
PB function like GetChild that should be used for this situation, but it
sounds like I may be out of luck.

<dawnbrowneyes@teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> There are multiple rows, therefore PB doesn't know
> which nested report to apply the change to.
> What type of change are you doing?
>
>> I have a composite report that contains five nested
>> reports. One of the  nested reports contains nested
>> reports within it. GetChild does not work on  this NR.
>> This was listed under the GetChild help.
>>
>> Nested reports: You cannot use GetChild to get a reference
>> to a report in a  composite DataWindow when the report
>> itself is a composite or nested  DataWindow.
>>
>> I need to get a handle to this NR so I can apply
>> translations. Any ideas?

0
Jeff
7/3/2007 1:04:58 PM
you can try a Getchild to get the first level NR, then use sharedata to
link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and on this one, re-issue a GetChild.
Untested ...

HTH
Philip

Jeff Fetzer wrote:
> I have a composite report that contains five nested reports. One of the
> nested reports contains nested reports within it. GetChild does not work on
> this NR. This was listed under the GetChild help.
>
> Nested reports: You cannot use GetChild to get a reference to a report in a
> composite DataWindow when the report itself is a composite or nested
> DataWindow.
>
> I need to get a handle to this NR so I can apply translations. Any ideas?

0
Philip
7/3/2007 1:17:48 PM
Philip you think sharedata will give him access to objects to be
translated ?

I think first use Getchild() (on Compositelevel) then just use dot notation.
Good luck

Philip SIDGWICK pisze:
> you can try a Getchild to get the first level NR, then use sharedata to
> link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and on this one, re-issue a GetChild.
> Untested ...
>
> HTH
> Philip
>
> Jeff Fetzer wrote:
>> I have a composite report that contains five nested reports. One of
>> the nested reports contains nested reports within it. GetChild does
>> not work on this NR. This was listed under the GetChild help.
>>
>> Nested reports: You cannot use GetChild to get a reference to a report
>> in a composite DataWindow when the report itself is a composite or
>> nested DataWindow.
>>
>> I need to get a handle to this NR so I can apply translations. Any ideas?

0
fisher
7/3/2007 1:27:44 PM
The GetChild() at the composite level is where the problem lies. It returns
a -1. If it was successful I would be in business. The two nested reports
within the one don't need translated, only the main NR needs the
translations.

"fisher" <fisher_NO@SPAM_wckp.lodz.pl_PLEASE> wrote in message
> Philip you think sharedata will give him access to objects to be
> translated ?
>
> I think first use Getchild() (on Compositelevel) then just use dot
> notation.
> Good luck
>
> Philip SIDGWICK pisze:
>> you can try a Getchild to get the first level NR, then use sharedata to
>> link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and on this one, re-issue a GetChild.
>> Untested ...
>>
>> HTH
>> Philip
>>
>> Jeff Fetzer wrote:
>>> I have a composite report that contains five nested reports. One of the
>>> nested reports contains nested reports within it. GetChild does not work
>>> on this NR. This was listed under the GetChild help.
>>>
>>> Nested reports: You cannot use GetChild to get a reference to a report
>>> in a composite DataWindow when the report itself is a composite or
>>> nested DataWindow.
>>>
>>> I need to get a handle to this NR so I can apply translations. Any
>>> ideas?

0
Jeff
7/3/2007 1:57:31 PM
What is Processing set to in this composit.?

Jeff Fetzer pisze:
> The GetChild() at the composite level is where the problem lies. It returns
> a -1. If it was successful I would be in business. The two nested reports
> within the one don't need translated, only the main NR needs the
> translations.
>
> "fisher" <fisher_NO@SPAM_wckp.lodz.pl_PLEASE> wrote in message
>> Philip you think sharedata will give him access to objects to be
>> translated ?
>>
>> I think first use Getchild() (on Compositelevel) then just use dot
>> notation.
>> Good luck
>>
>> Philip SIDGWICK pisze:
>>> you can try a Getchild to get the first level NR, then use sharedata to
>>> link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and on this one, re-issue a GetChild.
>>> Untested ...
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Philip

0
fisher
7/3/2007 2:18:44 PM
You will get a -1 from getchild() on a composite within a
composite. And there is no data to share.  That is where my
confusion is.  Do you want to change headings or something?

EX: dw_1.object.dw_2.object.heading_on_nested_composite.text
= 'hello world for heading 1'

If not, what do you mean by apply translations?

> The GetChild() at the composite level is where the problem
> lies. It returns  a -1. If it was successful I would be in
> business. The two nested reports  within the one don't
> need translated, only the main NR needs the  translations.
>
> "fisher" <fisher_NO@SPAM_wckp.lodz.pl_PLEASE> wrote in
> message  news:468a4ed0$1@forums-1-dub...
> > Philip you think sharedata will give him access to
> > objects to be  translated ?
> >
> > I think first use Getchild() (on Compositelevel) then
> > just use dot  notation.
> > Good luck
> >
> > Philip SIDGWICK pisze:
> >> you can try a Getchild to get the first level NR, then
> use sharedata to  >> link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and
> on this one, re-issue a GetChild. >> Untested ...
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> Philip

> reports. One of the  >>> nested reports contains nested
> reports within it. GetChild does not work  >>> on this NR.
> This was listed under the GetChild help. >>>
> reference to a report  >>> in a composite DataWindow when
> the report itself is a composite or  >>> nested
> DataWindow. >>>
> translations. Any  >>> ideas?

0
dawnbrowneyes
7/3/2007 5:19:18 PM
In the example below, dw_1 is the composite DW and ldwc_child is the nested
report that contains two nested reports within it. It fails with a -1 return
value.

li_rc = dw_1.GetChild("child_d_po_print_detail", ldwc_child)

As far as the translations, I don't need to do anything like sharedata. We
have ancestor code that does a GetChild on nested reports and finds all the
objects on the DW. It replaces the English text in the labels with the
translation of the language being used.

Are you saying the dot syntax may work like your example? I didn't try that.

> You will get a -1 from getchild() on a composite within a
> composite. And there is no data to share.  That is where my
> confusion is.  Do you want to change headings or something?
>
> EX: dw_1.object.dw_2.object.heading_on_nested_composite.text
> = 'hello world for heading 1'
>
> If not, what do you mean by apply translations?
>

>> The GetChild() at the composite level is where the problem
>> lies. It returns  a -1. If it was successful I would be in
>> business. The two nested reports  within the one don't
>> need translated, only the main NR needs the  translations.
>>
>> "fisher" <fisher_NO@SPAM_wckp.lodz.pl_PLEASE> wrote in
>> message  news:468a4ed0$1@forums-1-dub...
>> > Philip you think sharedata will give him access to
>> > objects to be  translated ?
>> >
>> > I think first use Getchild() (on Compositelevel) then
>> > just use dot  notation.
>> > Good luck

>> use sharedata to  >> link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and
>> on this one, re-issue a GetChild. >> Untested ...

>> reports. One of the  >>> nested reports contains nested
>> reports within it. GetChild does not work  >>> on this NR.
>> This was listed under the GetChild help. >>>
>> reference to a report  >>> in a composite DataWindow when
>> the report itself is a composite or  >>> nested
>> DataWindow. >>>
>> translations. Any  >>> ideas?

0
Jeff
7/3/2007 6:47:43 PM
Thanks. I just tried it and the dot syntax will work when the GetChild
fails.

<dawnbrowneyes@teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> You will get a -1 from getchild() on a composite within a
> composite. And there is no data to share.  That is where my
> confusion is.  Do you want to change headings or something?
>
> EX: dw_1.object.dw_2.object.heading_on_nested_composite.text
> = 'hello world for heading 1'
>
> If not, what do you mean by apply translations?
>

>> The GetChild() at the composite level is where the problem
>> lies. It returns  a -1. If it was successful I would be in
>> business. The two nested reports  within the one don't
>> need translated, only the main NR needs the  translations.
>>
>> "fisher" <fisher_NO@SPAM_wckp.lodz.pl_PLEASE> wrote in
>> message  news:468a4ed0$1@forums-1-dub...
>> > Philip you think sharedata will give him access to
>> > objects to be  translated ?
>> >
>> > I think first use Getchild() (on Compositelevel) then
>> > just use dot  notation.
>> > Good luck

>> use sharedata to  >> link this NR to a fake DW or DS, and
>> on this one, re-issue a GetChild. >> Untested ...

>> reports. One of the  >>> nested reports contains nested
>> reports within it. GetChild does not work  >>> on this NR.
>> This was listed under the GetChild help. >>>
>> reference to a report  >>> in a composite DataWindow when
>> the report itself is a composite or  >>> nested
>> DataWindow. >>>
>> translations. Any  >>> ideas?

0
Jeff
7/3/2007 7:16:16 PM
I am glad that works for you.  Sometimes I misunderstand
what people are asking and vise versa.  Thank you for being
persistant.    Dawn

> Thanks. I just tried it and the dot syntax will work when
> the GetChild  fails.
>
> <dawnbrowneyes@teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> > You will get a -1 from getchild() on a composite within
> > a composite. And there is no data to share.  That is
> > where my confusion is.  Do you want to change headings
> or something? >
> > EX:
> > dw_1.object.dw_2.object.heading_on_nested_composite.text
> = 'hello world for heading 1' >
> > If not, what do you mean by apply translations?
> >

> >> The GetChild() at the composite level is where the
> problem >> lies. It returns  a -1. If it was successful I
> would be in >> business. The two nested reports  within
> the one don't >> need translated, only the main NR needs
> the  translations. >>
> >> "fisher" <fisher_NO@SPAM_wckp.lodz.pl_PLEASE> wrote in
> >> message  news:468a4ed0$1@forums-1-dub...

> then >> use sharedata to  >> link this NR to a fake DW or
> DS, and >> on this one, re-issue a GetChild. >> Untested
> .. >> >>

> >> reports. One of the  >>> nested reports contains nested
> >> reports within it. GetChild does not work  >>> on this
> NR. >> This was listed under the GetChild help. >>>
> >> reference to a report  >>> in a composite DataWindow
> when >> the report itself is a composite or  >>> nested
> >> DataWindow. >>>
> >> translations. Any  >>> ideas?

0
dawnbrowneyes

nested reports in nested report
Hi, I have a report with a nested dw in a nested dw. I would like to change som properties of both datawindows/reports (width and moving som columns - it's a grid report) But how do I reference the nested report. I cant use GetChild (fails as it is not a Composite). I have managed to get the to the first report and change the width of i with the syntax dwobject dwo_1 dwo_1 = dw_report.Object.dw_1 dwo_1.width = 3000 But trying to get to the next level this fails, i.e. i tried dwobject dwo_2 dwo_2 = dwo_1.Object.dw_2 // fails at runtime Does anyone have a sugg...

GetChild returns -1 with nested reports in nested reports
We have a composite datawindows with 4 reports. One of the reports has 2 nested reports. When we use GetChild to get a reference to the 4 reports, the report with the nested reports returns -1. When we remove the nested reports all works fine. Is this normal behaviour or a bug?? We're using PB5.0.02. -- Greetings, Hans Groeneveld, TSD Automatisering B.V. h_groeneveld@tsd.nl Hans Groeneveld wrote: > > We have a composite datawindows with 4 reports. One of the reports has 2 > nested reports. > When we use GetChild to get a reference to the 4 reports,...

Nested report inside nested report
Has any one tried to put and populate a nested report inside already existing nested report? Yes, What problems are you having? Just retreive the main report and the nested - nested report will retrieve. > Has any one tried to put and populate a nested report > inside already existing nested report? ...

Nested Report (is a row in a nested report)
I want to find out if there is a row in a nested report. I tried the following statements: dwobject ldw_report any la_data[] ldw_report=tabctrl.tp3.dw_preview.Object.dw_1[1] la_data=ldw_report.Object.Data // this statement fails, if there is no row if UpperBound(la_data) > 0 then ... How about: DataWindowChild ldwc tabctrl.tp3.dw_preview.GetChild('dw_1', ldwc) IF ldwc.RowCount() > 0 THEN ..... Brad Dirk wrote: > I want to find out if there is a row in a nested report. > > I tried the following statements: > > dwobject ldw_r...

Nested Report -> Nested Report RowCount()
Hi All, I'm nearly there, just one more thing to work out . . . I have a composite which contains three nested reports dw_letter -> nested_1 nested_2 -> nested_4 nested_3 I can't use GetChild because this is deeper than one level, thus I am using dot notation ls_user = dw_letter.Object.nested_2.object.nested_4.object.Data[ll_current_row,ll_user id_col] I need to build on this to step through all the users in the nested datawindow, thus I need to know how many rows are in there, e.g. To do this I need something like rowcount ll_max_rows = dw_letter....

Nested report does not line op to the previous nested report
Hi everyone, I have a problem with lining up nested report. I created a composite report with 4 nested reports. The fist nested report is a free form report. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th report are grid reports. The 2nd grid report line up directly to data show in the 1st report. But 3rd and 4th report each start on a new page. But I do not want this. I want to line them up like 2nd report to the 1st report.. How can I solve this problem? I checked if the new page property is set for the repport, but this is not the case. They all have property 'autosize heigth' and 'slide dir...

Nested Reports
Hi All, Does anyone know how to add a pagebreak between 2 pre-defined nested reports ---------------------------------------------------------------- Introductory information ... ... ... ================================ = Nested report retrieving some date = ================================ <---- I want to insert a page break here. ================================ = List of services for the report = ================================ ---------------------------------------------------...

Problem Created Nested Report Object On Report DataWindow
Hi All I'm using PB703 Build 10213. I face a problem creating a Sub-Report Object on an existing Report Data window. When ever I try to do this the system crushes. I also tried to copy an existing sub-report object from another datawindow. In this case the system does not crush, but all columns on the main datawindow, having a ddlb edit style, loose the ddlb information. (Even if you define them again, when you close & reopen the datawindwo, they are gone)! Any help appreciated Thanks In Advance Stelios ...

Sort a nested report in a composite report and GetChild() problem?
PB 9.0.2 Build 7509 Trying to sort a nested datawindow on a composite report. Two reports on the composite. I can get a handle to one using GetChild(), but not the other! This always returns -1: long rtncode DataWindowChild main_child rtncode = dw_1.GetChild('dwc_one', main_child) If I use 'dwc_two', the other datawindow, it works! Any ideas on why? Or how to sort using dot notation? Ken Metz Programmer/Analyst Kansas City Power and Light 1201 Walnut, 17A Kansas City, MO 64106-2124 816-556-2012 E-mail kenneth.metz@kcpl.com ...

Reference a datawindow object (nested report) in a datawindow
Is it possible to reference a datawindow object in a datawindow? My scenario : I have a datawindow (composite) which holds another datawindow (nested report). This child datawindow has a OLE ActiveX object which I am trying to access from the window which holds the composite datawindow. The reason for this is because I need to access the ActiveX properties/functions after the composite datawindow have been retrieved. I've tried to get a reference to the child datawindow : //DataWindowChild dwc_activex dw1.getchild("dw_activex", dwc_activex) But as datawi...

Re: Nested Datawindow Report (Datawindow Printing)
Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected in PB 8 or 9? Please advise. I am currently using PB 7. Problem: In case of large text fields, PowerBuilder not printing the Data correctly. Lines are cut in half and also not printing last few lines . This is happening on nested datawindow. Here is the link to the original documentation: http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=10938800 Original documentation :-) states that this is not a bug but expected behaviour, so what kind of "correction" do you expect? pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-)) Philip ...

nested report -getchild
hi all, i read that, nested report cannot use the getchild command. So, anyone can teach me wat others command to use? I need to do a save as command. Thanks. Do you want to save visually? Use PDF or PSR. Do you want to save data? Maybe use a datastore with the same DW object as the nested report and retrieve it with values for the row keys? -- Report Bugs: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do Product Enhancement Requests: http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement <chili> wrote in message news:4a11139d.1e30.1681692777@sybase.com... > hi all, &g...

Nested reports and GetChild()
Hello out there, I can retrieve a "handle" to a report inside a composite datawindow using the GetChild() function. But when I try to retrieve the Datawindowchild if the report is a nested report in a "normal" datawindow it alway returns -1 Am I missing something or is this just another one of those mysterious PB limitations? Cheers Thomas To quote the powerbuilder help file: "Nested reports and external data sources You can't use GetChild to get a reference to a report in a composite DataWindow when the data source of the nested report is ...

Nested datawindow reports
Is there a way to retreive a nested report using code without have to retrieve the parent datawindow? Is this a DataWindow.Net question? On 21 Oct 2004 10:52:53 -0700, Anthony wrote: >Is there a way to retreive a nested report using code >without have to retrieve the parent datawindow? Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com TeamSybase blogs: http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups Need code sample? Check out CodeXchange: http://www.codexchange.sybase.com Pre...

Web resources about - GetChild on Nested Report that contains Nested Reports? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Trie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer science , a trie , or prefix tree , is an ordered tree data structure that is used to store a dynamic set or associative array where ...

holger lippmann - generative art v.s.
pages print works animation works about cv - shows publications contact - links contact +49 (0) 173 394090 3 fb flickr tumblr vimeo twttr ...

Windows Phone Mango change, Listbox: How to detect compression(end of scroll) states ?
This blog is intended to consolidate ideas from Silverlight product team members to help improve your applications performance on mobile.

Windows Phone WebBrowser control tips
... a context menu if you need to: C# private void webBrowser _Loaded( object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) { var border0 = VisualTreeHelper.GetChild(sender, ...

99.5 WUSR - ${parent.getChild("display-name").value} - Communication Department - CAS - Academics ...
99.5 WUSR Scranton is a student-run, non-commercial radio station owned by the University of Scranton, which broadcasts over 700 square miles ...