French characters from the database cause a DBerror event on updates...

We are using PB 8.04 build 10726, the Database is
an Oracle 10g release 10.2.

each time we are saving the same updated
data set,  the DW returned the following sqldbcode
in the DBerror event

    -3         The key specified in an Update or Retrieve no
                longer matches an existing row. This can happen
                when another user has changed the row after
                you retrieved it

when we look at the data use by the DW in the where
clause of each update send to the database, some character
in a description field did not make sense anymore.

in the French word  'd�ja'  the e with the accent was replace
and the word change to something like 'dq)ja'

is there something special to set under PB and/or the DW
for that kind of situation to be resolve, is the problem even
deeper is it that Oracle keep this data under one kind of
characters set and PB is not

any ideas or comment would be appreciated,

TIA
MDS

0
MDS

Hi M;

  Sounds like your O10g DBMS is Unicode and you are still trying to use an
old PB version which is ANSI.

BTW: I think official support for O10g was in the PB 10.5.x / 11.x time
frame.

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"MDS"  wrote in message news:4cfcf420$1@forums-1-dub...

[...]

Chris
12/6/2010 3:25:57 PM
I don't think it's a unicode issue.  More likely you need to set the
NLS_LANG in your PB application

ls_sql = "alter session set NLS_LANG = 'ENGLISH_CANADA.WE8MSWIN1252'  //
change to whatever your french character set requires
execute immediate :ls_sql using sqlca;

-- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://casexpress.sybase.com

"Chris Pollach"  wrote in message news:4cfd0085$1@forums-1-dub...

[...]

Terry

Does update of database using a DataSet's dataadapter.update method cause single or multiple trips to database ?
When I change data in a dataset and then update database using dataset's dataadapter.update  method, does the data get updated in one trip to database or multiple trips to database are involved in this update? There are multiple rows in the only datatable in a dataset. I think it would involve multiple trips, and to be exact, it will involve as many trips to the database as there are changed rows in dataset's datatable. BUT NOT SURE.sun21170 According to the online help, you are correct: When you call the Update method, the DataAdapter analyzes the changes that have been made and ex...

DBError-Event in an Datawindow
Hello, can somebody tell me which event Powerbuilder 7 triggers when in an datawindow-retrieve (datawindowname.retrieve(....,....) is an error. Is it the error or is it the DB_Error-Event. What have I to do when I dont want to see the default error-message from powerbuilder or the datawindow-object. With greetings. P. Neugebauer Hi Paul Using the DBError event The DataWindow control triggers its DBError event whenever there is an error following a retrieval or update; that is, if the Retrieve or Update methods return -1. For example, if you try to insert a row that d...

Update not updating database
In my sql server database I am using the detailsview. All my database calls work perfectly (SELECT, INSERT, DELETE) except the update. The update command passes without error but does not change the values in the database. It recognises the new values and the old values but does not change the database values. I am not doing eanything special but using the standard calls with the standard detailsview and everything else works.  Any ideas?   Code below <asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" Height="50px" Width="95%" AutoGene...

French Character Support in PowerBuilder
Hello, I am quite new to PowerBuilder and databases so please bear with me... We need our PowerBuilder application to write french characters to a database and display them after retrieving from the database. We are using PB7.0, but will be upgrading to PB8 soon. The database is Oracle 8.0.4. I know that whatever support needed by Oracle is set-up properly because we have another C++ application that writes to the same database and it displays french characters with no problems. I have tried setting the dbParm in the pb.ini file to include "locale='fra'...

Updating a Database using a Datawindow
I addeded datawindow object to a page. When I try to update the database through this datawindow, I get the following error: Error(-1):[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Table or view not found: table 'HistoryLog' not found Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Jack Marks SPS - New York Hello Jack, Perhaps the application server is not connecting to the correct database? What application server and database server are you using? Is the select statement in the generated code by the DW DTC correct? Regards, Dan van Leeuwen On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:59:25 -0400, jack.marks@sy...

Datawindow Update and Database triggers
I have one question. I want to do a data verification in database but I don't want to call procedure after the update of datawindow. The problem is that AFTER UPDATE, INSERT,DELETE FOR ALL ROWS trigger triggers after update of every single row in datawindow, but I must have all data in database before I start verification. Is it possible to tell database to trigger after all for all after update of datawindow? How to solve this different way? Currently I store updated inserted deleted primary keys in temp table and then call stored procedure to verify new/changed rows... Any o...

Database update problem from DataWindow
I have a DataWindow which lists Investments for a client in the detail row and displays the Client ID number on the header (all retrieved from the same table - the Client ID number is supplied with by a retrieval argument) The window should is designed to allow to add new Investments but my problem is this - When I enter all the values in the detail row and press update my database returns an error saying that my Client ID number is NULL (which is not allowed) Looking at the SQL statement generated it would seem that if I don't include the Client ID number on the detail row it ...

Datawindow GPF on Update Event
We have a developer who receives a GPF when the Update Event on the Datawindow is hit. For some strange reason, it only will happen on his PC. This only happens on a specific datawindow on an Insert Row. For some reason, it works fine if we enter all the values on the datawindow. But if we only enter the required columns, we receive a GPF. We are using PB 8.02 and the Oracle 8.04 Client accessing Oracle 9i. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, For weirdness on one machine, the usual suspect is PB DLLs from another version in a directory earlier on the path, oft...

how to build a datawindow to update database?
pb8.0, i wonder how to build a datawindow to get new record input and update database too. jennifer wrote: > pb8.0, i wonder how to build a datawindow to get new record > input and update database too. I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but I'll take a stab at it. Open the datawindow painter and create a datawindow. In your code, assign this to a datawindow control (or datastore object). Set your transaction object. InsertRow(), SetItem(), Update(). You can build a datawindow object (part you did in the painter) dynamically using the transacti...

Special Characters causing no ItemChanged Event???
On a string column in a DW if I type in a special character '=9c' and tab away from the field the '=9c' remains as expected. If I put focus back to that column (autoselect on) and type in 'o' and 'e' and tab out of the field, the '=9c' reappears and no itemchanged event is triggered -- is there anyway to handle this distinction of characters? What is going on? I don't have any code in the ItemChanged event. I'm using PB 9.0 Build 5507. Help! Anyone know what is happening? Brian ...

Update to datawindow is causing an Insert statement
I have a datawindow that is based on a SQL statement that ties two tables. I am updating one table and have set the update properties on the dw to Key Columns and Update only. When I try to Update the dw, I get an Update error followed by a Insert SQL error. What am I doing wrong. TIA ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp I had this error before and found out that if the datawindow was initialised with an insertrow(0), then then the database will generate an Insert SQL, However if it was retrieved with an argument the...

update the database w/o datawindow?

Database Trigger causing Update to fail?
I recently added an UPDATE trigger to one of the tables in my MS SQL 7 database. It sends an email via xp_sendmail. When I run a manual update through Query Analyzer, the trigger works and the update occurs. When I run an update through my DataWindow, the trigger works but I get the following message: Mail sent. No changes made to database. UPDATE mb_bill_accts SET account = '4-99-004001-295' WHERE bill_code = 'AALL' AND org_code = 'ACEP' AND chapter = 'N/A' The datawindow displays columns from two tables but of course only allows updates to one...

make Update to a database on unload event
hello I am using asp.net and vb.net , and I need to make update to my database when the user closes the browser after he viewed my page (enter to mydatabase the number of minutes that he had opened the web page) I wrote the code in the unload evet of the web page but it is not taking the number of minutes that I have put in a text box. i will be thankfull for any one who will give me any idea The unload event fires at the end of the page's lifecycle. Unfortunately for your situation, this happens as the response is making its trip to the browser. But this is a good thing in g...

Web resources about - French characters from the database cause a DBerror event on updates... - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Dilbert (character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dilbert is a fictional character and the main character and protagonist of the Dilbert comic strip . He is a white collar office worker who has ...

Arslan: The Warriors of Legend Game's Ad Shows Characters' Attacks
Debuts on PS4/PS3/Xbox One in N. America on February 9, in Europe on February 12 The game's confirmed playable characters include Arslan, Daryun, ...

Another 'Star Wars' favorite character is returning for 'The Force Awakens'
Adding to the list of original "Star Wars" characters returning to the galaxy in "The Force Awakens" is a character from with one line of dialogue ...

Uncharted 4 director responds to character racial swap
"I stand by that 110 percent and I wouldn't change anything."

The Music Of ‘Carol’: “It Shows What’s In The Eyes Of These Characters” Says Composer Carter Burwell
Some composers obsess over minimizing their scores in exchange for the drama onscreen, but Carter Burwell always leaves the moviegoer with a ...

'The Flash' Season 2: Marco Grazzini Cast As Tar Pit, Mystery Costumed Character Seen On Set
"Heroes Reborn" actor Marco Grazzini will play Joey Monteleone (a.k.a. Tar Pit) on "The Flash" season 2.

Grux is the last of Epic's Paragon character reveals
... as I'd prefer to just jump into the beta when there's something actually substantial to see. Then again, this is the last of the character reveal ...

Martin Shkreli, Twitter And Moving Markets In 140 Characters Or Less
November 20 is a date that will live in infamy for investors who were short a tiny pharmaceutical company named KaloBios Pharmaceuticals. And ...

Jussie Smollett Leaving ‘Empire’? Here’s The Truth About The Character, Jamal Lyon, ‘Sabbatical’
Jussie Smollett was, indeed, told that his character Jamal Lyon would be leaving Empire but there’s an interesting twist to the story. According ...

Which Classic Character Did Not Need a Goddamn Childhood Trauma Added To Their Backstory?
It’s Screenwriting 101. When you’re taking a beloved character, who’s lasted decades or even centuries with a simple, streamlined origin, the ...