Exporting datawindows with nested reports or composites to excel or flat text

I have various datawindow reports in our pb6.5 application
....some are composite datawindows...others are datawindows with nested
reports.

I would like to export the visual contents of the datawindow to microsoft
excel (.xls) or flat text. (.txt)

Two u_dw methods which I have tried, but failed, are SaveAs()and
SaveAsAscii().  For simple datawindows these methods are fine, but not for
the more complex datawindows I mentioned earlier.

Does anyone have any ideas.

You can contact me direct at : sodonnell@lysis.com

0
Stuart_O

I haven't had the opportunity(?) to use nested or composite reports yet, but
I've read many posts here about them. If I remember right, the only way to
get it saved right is to save it as a .PSR or .PDF file. And I'm not 100%
sure that even those work for these kinds of reports. You might have to
write some script to get each child dw and save them individually. I'm sure
a search at Deja could provide some more info for you, though. Good luck!

<Stuart_O'_Donnell> wrote in message
> I have various datawindow reports in our pb6.5 application
> ...some are composite datawindows...others are datawindows with nested
> reports.
>

> I would like to export the visual contents of the datawindow to microsoft
> excel (.xls) or flat text. (.txt)
>
> Two u_dw methods which I have tried, but failed, are SaveAs()and
> SaveAsAscii().  For simple datawindows these methods are fine, but not for
> the more complex datawindows I mentioned earlier.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas.
>
> You can contact me direct at : sodonnell@lysis.com

0
Bug
2/8/2001 3:05:51 PM
psr and pdf definitely work.
With composites you could get a handle to each individual report and then do
saveas for each.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

"Bug" <jfenter@mmm.com> wrote in message
> I haven't had the opportunity(?) to use nested or composite reports yet,
but
> I've read many posts here about them. If I remember right, the only way to
> get it saved right is to save it as a .PSR or .PDF file. And I'm not 100%
> sure that even those work for these kinds of reports. You might have to
> write some script to get each child dw and save them individually. I'm
sure
> a search at Deja could provide some more info for you, though. Good luck!
>
> <Stuart_O'_Donnell> wrote in message
> > I have various datawindow reports in our pb6.5 application
> > ...some are composite datawindows...others are datawindows with nested
> > reports.
> >

> > I would like to export the visual contents of the datawindow to
microsoft
> > excel (.xls) or flat text. (.txt)
> >
> > Two u_dw methods which I have tried, but failed, are SaveAs()and
> > SaveAsAscii().  For simple datawindows these methods are fine, but not
for
> > the more complex datawindows I mentioned earlier.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas.
> >
> > You can contact me direct at : sodonnell@lysis.com

0
Terry
2/8/2001 4:26:47 PM
When i give each nested report a name (within the dw painter) and then try
and reference the report in the powerscript by using the getchild method, i
get an error.

Is there any other way of getting a handle to it?

0
Stuart_O

Looking for ways to export a complicated report with nested datawindows into Excel
Hi, I am using PB 7.02 on MSSQL 2000. Does anyone have any suggestion on ways to export a datawindow contain several layers of nested reports into Excel ? Thanks Jean This should work with every datawindow. Syntax integer dwcontrol.SaveAs ( { string filename, saveastype saveastype, boolean colheading } ) where the saveastype = Excel! or Excel5! Hope this helps you. Stefan Stefan, Will this save report format too or just dumping the raw data to the excel sheet ? My report contain 10 child datawindows. Is there anyways to open an Excel Worksheet write th...

PageCount() with Nested Datawindow in Composite Datawindow
Hi Everyone, I use PB 11.5.1 Build 4740 (last build). I have a problem when I am trying to print out a composite datawindow. I have a composite datawindow with 3 nested datawindow, when I try dw_composite.Retrieve() it works fine, but when I put dw_composite.Print(), I faced a problem with the second nested datawindow: the number of pages. For example, I have two pages and the print is "Page 2 of 2" to the first page and "Page 2 of 2" to the second one. I am using the function "page()". This just occurs to print option, when I am using retrieve op...

do not show nested datawindow on composite datawindow !!
I have developed using EAS 3.6.1 and PB 7.0.3 build 10047. i made composite datawindow within 3 nested datawindows and all dw have 2 retrieval arguments. and i retrieve result data using getfullstate. in Client webbrowser, main dw is displayed but nested datawindows is not displayed in main dw. why not display???.. How can I do? Thanks in advance. Kwang-gyu Nested DW's do not work. You will need to have multiple web datawindows or use a PDF writer like Adobe to print to a file and display this in the browser. "�̱���" wrote: > I have developed usi...

Reference a datawindow object (nested report) in a datawindow
Is it possible to reference a datawindow object in a datawindow? My scenario : I have a datawindow (composite) which holds another datawindow (nested report). This child datawindow has a OLE ActiveX object which I am trying to access from the window which holds the composite datawindow. The reason for this is because I need to access the ActiveX properties/functions after the composite datawindow have been retrieved. I've tried to get a reference to the child datawindow : //DataWindowChild dwc_activex dw1.getchild("dw_activex", dwc_activex) But as datawi...

Re: Nested Datawindow Report (Datawindow Printing)
Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected in PB 8 or 9? Please advise. I am currently using PB 7. Problem: In case of large text fields, PowerBuilder not printing the Data correctly. Lines are cut in half and also not printing last few lines . This is happening on nested datawindow. Here is the link to the original documentation: http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=10938800 Original documentation :-) states that this is not a bug but expected behaviour, so what kind of "correction" do you expect? pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-)) Philip ...

Nested datawindow within a nested datawindow
I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines. Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000) shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method) ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of virtual memory. (About 99% of those ...

datawindow with nested report trying to export
i have a datawindow with nested report in the detail band i try to use the fuction dw_1.saveas() but i didn't get the nested reprots how to do that pls. help me? You need to save reports separately using datawindowchild class. SaveAs() works against the data set, not the presentation layer, so it wouldn't pick up on presentation formatting, nesting of datawindows, etc.... Like Dmitriy says, to get nested, you'll have to grab the datawindowchild and SaveAs() on it. However, if you want the data to show as nested, you'll have to roll your own save routine....

nested datawindow within another nested datawindow?
I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within another nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors. Is this even possible? I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough to try. thanks, Pat It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However, nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try testing your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them one at a time and try to i...

reports about composite or nested datawindow style
I create a multi-datawindow report, and place two reports in detail field. I want to show the second datawindow rows behind the first ones. But in preview when the first datawindow list all rows, the second datawindow rows change to a new page, left a field of blank, how can I keep them stick together? Thank for help. ...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

How to Create nested report in composite datawindow
What I try to do is to create a nested datawindow in a composite datawindow, this nested datawindow is created dynamicly according to an Datawindow syntax string. My problem is: Since the nested datawindow is dynamicly generated,it isn't exist in one library, so there is no dataobject.When I retrieve data using the composite datawindow,it tell me:"Load of nested report failed" My initial idea: I want to develope a control enable user to easily insert objects Such as: Text,picture,datawindow(report) and so on.The user can move and resize the objects.They can also chan...

Web resources about - Exporting datawindows with nested reports or composites to excel or flat text - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo