Export datawindow select statement form all datawindows

I have a large application with a lot of DWs.

DB is SQL Server 2000.

Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now, with
PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works)

I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but
this large application was written by many people :)

How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my
application to do a replace.

Thanks,

Alex B.

0
Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
retrieve the syntax from the library using
ls_syntax = libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!).
Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:

    dataStore    lds_temp
    lds_temp = create dataStore
    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)

and get the select statement using describe:

    ls_select = lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select

Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
the libray- and objectnames where you found some.

HTH

Chris Werner

"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have a large application with a lot of DWs.
>
> DB is SQL Server 2000.
>

> Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now,
> with PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works)
>

> I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but
> this large application was written by many people :)
>

> How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my
> application to do a replace.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Alex B.

0
Chris
1/15/2007 4:03:33 PM
You'll need to connect to a database in there somewhere if any of the
datawindows have their SQL in graphic format.  Otherwise you'll end up
with the select statement in the internal format that PB uses for
graphical layouts.

On 15 Jan 2007 09:03:33 -0700, "Chris Werner"
<cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
>to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
>SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
>utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
>that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
>belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
>getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
>in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
>have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
>using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
>retrieve the syntax from the library using
>ls_syntax = libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!).
>Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:
>
>    dataStore    lds_temp
>    lds_temp = create dataStore
>    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)
>
>and get the select statement using describe:
>
>    ls_select = lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select
>
>Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
>the libray- and objectnames where you found some.
>
>HTH
>
>Chris Werner
>

>"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I have a large application with a lot of DWs.
>>
>> DB is SQL Server 2000.
>>

>> Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now,
>> with PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works)
>>

>> I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but
>> this large application was written by many people :)
>>

>> How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my
>> application to do a replace.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Alex B.

0
Bruce
1/15/2007 6:21:29 PM
Can't you just change the DelimitIdentifier to " from ' in the database
connectstring?

(I've never had to do this myself, I've just read about its use...)

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> wrote in message
>I have a large application with a lot of DWs.
>
> DB is SQL Server 2000.
>

> Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now,
> with PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works)
>

> I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but
> this large application was written by many people :)
>

> How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my
> application to do a replace.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Alex B.

0
Paul
1/15/2007 7:09:04 PM
Thanks to all.

I have coded a utility to do it.

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
escribi� en el mensaje news:f8knq25tl9vbe8of00d005c8684ae5nura@4ax.com...

> You'll need to connect to a database in there somewhere if any of the
> datawindows have their SQL in graphic format.  Otherwise you'll end up
> with the select statement in the internal format that PB uses for
> graphical layouts.
>
> On 15 Jan 2007 09:03:33 -0700, "Chris Werner"
> <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi Alex,
>>
>>I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
>>to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
>>SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
>>utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
>>that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
>>belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
>>getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
>>in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
>>have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
>>using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
>>retrieve the syntax from the library using
>>ls_syntax = libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!).
>>Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:
>>
>>    dataStore    lds_temp
>>    lds_temp = create dataStore
>>    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)
>>
>>and get the select statement using describe:
>>
>>    ls_select = lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select
>>
>>Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
>>the libray- and objectnames where you found some.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Chris Werner
>>

>>"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>I have a large application with a lot of DWs.
>>>
>>> DB is SQL Server 2000.
>>>

>>> Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now,
>>> with PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works)
>>>

>>> I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but
>>> this large application was written by many people :)
>>>

>>> How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my
>>> application to do a replace.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Alex B.

0
Alex
1/16/2007 8:04:08 AM
Hi Bruce,

but if I understand the OP correctly he's after the double
quotes which are written by programmers. That ones
should be searchable in PB's internal SQL format too.
Haven't checked that actually.

Kind regards

Chris Werner

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f8knq25tl9vbe8of00d005c8684ae5nura@4ax.com...

> You'll need to connect to a database in there somewhere if any of the
> datawindows have their SQL in graphic format.  Otherwise you'll end up
> with the select statement in the internal format that PB uses for
> graphical layouts.
>
> On 15 Jan 2007 09:03:33 -0700, "Chris Werner"
> <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi Alex,
>>
>>I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
>>to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
>>SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
>>utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
>>that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
>>belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
>>getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
>>in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
>>have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
>>using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
>>retrieve the syntax from the library using
>>ls_syntax = libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!).
>>Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:
>>
>>    dataStore    lds_temp
>>    lds_temp = create dataStore
>>    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)
>>
>>and get the select statement using describe:
>>
>>    ls_select = lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select
>>
>>Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
>>the libray- and objectnames where you found some.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Chris Werner
>>

>>"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>I have a large application with a lot of DWs.
>>>
>>> DB is SQL Server 2000.
>>>

>>> Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now,
>>> with PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works)
>>>

>>> I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but
>>> this large application was written by many people :)
>>>

>>> How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my
>>> application to do a replace.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Alex B.

0
Chris
1/16/2007 9:10:58 AM
I agree with Chris
I am going through the same exercize currently - I am migrating from
ASA to ASE
Datawindows is no problem as long as a rebuild is done when the current
(i.e. ASE in my case or SQL Server 2000 in Alex's case) DBMS is the
default connection when trying the rebuild. Once in a while, if editing
is done in non graphic mode, one might face a problem - its best to get
back to graphic mode and then select the column again ( for the WHERE
clause etc). Most preferable would be to do the rebuild before one
starts editing any DW object

The problem I am facing is the direct SQL Syntax in the scripts where I
have to do a manual search and conversion. - The exercize is basically
removing all the " making sure that the actual strings are not affected
through Edit source.

Unfortunately PB (my version is 9.0) does not have a replace facility
for selected text only. So I Select and then copy the selection, Paste
in Wordpad, do a Replace All (Crtl + H) there, Select All (Ctrl + A) ,
Copy and Paste back, A total of 5 clicks and 2 key strokes, but the
process of finding and selecting is time consuming

Chris Werner wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> but if I understand the OP correctly he's after the double
> quotes which are written by programmers. That ones
> should be searchable in PB's internal SQL format too.
> Haven't checked that actually.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Chris Werner
>

> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f8knq25tl9vbe8of00d005c8684ae5nura@4ax.com...
> >
> > You'll need to connect to a database in there somewhere if any of the
> > datawindows have their SQL in graphic format.  Otherwise you'll end up
> > with the select statement in the internal format that PB uses for
> > graphical layouts.
> >
> > On 15 Jan 2007 09:03:33 -0700, "Chris Werner"
> > <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Alex,
> >>
> >>I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
> >>to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
> >>SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
> >>utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
> >>that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
> >>belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
> >>getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
> >>in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
> >>have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
> >>using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
> >>retrieve the syntax from the library using
> >>ls_syntax =3D libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!=
)=2E
> >>Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:
> >>
> >>    dataStore    lds_temp
> >>    lds_temp =3D create dataStore
> >>    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)
> >>
> >>and get the select statement using describe:
> >>
> >>    ls_select =3D lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select
> >>
> >>Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
> >>the libray- and objectnames where you found some.
> >>
> >>HTH
> >>
> >>Chris Werner
> >>

> >>"Alex Bibiano Gonz=E1lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
shashi
1/17/2007 9:29:22 AM
Hi Sashi,

going back to graphic mode is'nt possible in many situations
because of the form or complexity of the select statement. And
in graphic mode it is possible to have misplaced double quotes
too, for instance in the WHERE clause.

FYI, PB have a replace facility for selected text only: Look at
the "Search Selection Only" checkbox on the "Replace Text"
dialog. Unfortunately this setting is'nt permanent so you have to
set it every time you do a text replace.

Kind regards

Chris Werner

Chris Werner wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> but if I understand the OP correctly he's after the double
> quotes which are written by programmers. That ones
> should be searchable in PB's internal SQL format too.
> Haven't checked that actually.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Chris Werner
>

> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f8knq25tl9vbe8of00d005c8684ae5nura@4ax.com...
> >
> > You'll need to connect to a database in there somewhere if any of the
> > datawindows have their SQL in graphic format.  Otherwise you'll end up
> > with the select statement in the internal format that PB uses for
> > graphical layouts.
> >
> > On 15 Jan 2007 09:03:33 -0700, "Chris Werner"
> > <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Alex,
> >>
> >>I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
> >>to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
> >>SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
> >>utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
> >>that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
> >>belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
> >>getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
> >>in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
> >>have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
> >>using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
> >>retrieve the syntax from the library using
> >>ls_syntax = libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!).
> >>Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:
> >>
> >>    dataStore    lds_temp
> >>    lds_temp = create dataStore
> >>    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)
> >>
> >>and get the select statement using describe:
> >>
> >>    ls_select = lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select
> >>
> >>Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
> >>the libray- and objectnames where you found some.
> >>
> >>HTH
> >>
> >>Chris Werner
> >>

> >>"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
Chris
1/17/2007 9:36:05 AM
Have you seen PBLPeeper?   www.techno-kitten.com
It's a must-have for any PB development shop.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

Chris Werner wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> but if I understand the OP correctly he's after the double
> quotes which are written by programmers. That ones
> should be searchable in PB's internal SQL format too.
> Haven't checked that actually.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Chris Werner
>

> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f8knq25tl9vbe8of00d005c8684ae5nura@4ax.com...
> >
> > You'll need to connect to a database in there somewhere if any of the
> > datawindows have their SQL in graphic format.  Otherwise you'll end up
> > with the select statement in the internal format that PB uses for
> > graphical layouts.
> >
> > On 15 Jan 2007 09:03:33 -0700, "Chris Werner"
> > <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Alex,
> >>
> >>I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable
> >>to do exactly what you need. Maybe Chris Pollachs
> >>SQLExtract (downloadable on CodeXchange)
> >>utility is good for you. Otherwise it is'nt too difficult to code
> >>that in PB. At first you need a list of libraries which
> >>belong to the application. You can hardcode it, use the
> >>getLibraryList( ) function if you code that in the application
> >>in question itself or parse a target (*.pbt) file. Once you
> >>have the list, for each library: Get a list of dataObjects
> >>using libraryDirectory(libraryname, dirDataWindow!) and
> >>retrieve the syntax from the library using
> >>ls_syntax = libraryExport (libraryname, objectname, ExportDataWindow!).
> >>Build a temporary dataStore with this syntax:
> >>
> >>    dataStore    lds_temp
> >>    lds_temp = create dataStore
> >>    lds_temp.create(ls_syntax)
> >>
> >>and get the select statement using describe:
> >>
> >>    ls_select = lds_temp.object.dataWindow.table.select
> >>
> >>Search in the select statement for double quotes and protocoll
> >>the libray- and objectnames where you found some.
> >>
> >>HTH
> >>
> >>Chris Werner
> >>

> >>"Alex Bibiano Gonz�lez" <abibiano@nikel.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
Paul
1/17/2007 3:46:52 PM
I have found that using the local file copies (*.sr?) of all objects in
PBL's made by source control (3. party) is very usefull for this kind of
massive search and replace operations.

Making shure that all objects (files) are up-to-date, we would check out
all objects in question, and use other 3. party tools, like advanced text
editors with regular expression search and replace and macros (Textpad),
to search and edit these files. Then we will simply check in these files
again, and get the latest version back into Powerbuilder.

Believe me, it's quite efficient. It's the closes thing we have come to
doing advanced refactoring in Powerbuilder ;-)

Regards
Andr�

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:22:33 +0100, shashi <gogia7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thx Chris for that tip , makes my job easier
> I agree regarding your other points too
> Chris Werner wrote:
>> Hi Sashi,
>>
>> going back to graphic mode is'nt possible in many situations
>> because of the form or complexity of the select statement. And
>> in graphic mode it is possible to have misplaced double quotes
>> too, for instance in the WHERE clause.
>>
>> FYI, PB have a replace facility for selected text only: Look at
>> the "Search Selection Only" checkbox on the "Replace Text"
>> dialog. Unfortunately this setting is'nt permanent so you have to
>> set it every time you do a text replace.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Chris Werner

iso
1/18/2007 9:17:46 AM
Chris Werner wrote:
> Hi Sashi,
>
> going back to graphic mode is'nt possible in many situations
> because of the form or complexity of the select statement. And
> in graphic mode it is possible to have misplaced double quotes
> too, for instance in the WHERE clause.
>
> FYI, PB have a replace facility for selected text only: Look at
> the "Search Selection Only" checkbox on the "Replace Text"
> dialog. Unfortunately this setting is'nt permanent so you have to
> set it every time you do a text replace.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Chris Werner

0
shashi

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Help! How to modify the sql select statement for a nested datawindow inside a composite datawindow?
Help! How to modify the sql select statement for a nested datawindow inside a composite datawindow? Would the following work? dw_nest.Object.DataWindow.Table.Select="select employee_id from ..." Please help. jungan@aboex.com GetChild () ??? "Jun Gan" <jungan@aboex.com> wrote in message news:40e48313$1@forums-2-dub... > Help! > > How to modify the sql select statement for a nested datawindow inside a > composite datawindow? > > Would the following work? > > dw_nest.Object.DataWindow.Table.Select="select e...

DataWindows and datawindow objects

datawindow

Datawindows with child datawindows

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

selected row in the datawindow to displayed in the other datawindow
hi iam unable to display the data which is selected data in one datawindow to other datawindow. thnaks deva see IsSelected functions and transfer those rows to the other DW Regards Vasu "Vasu D" <vasu@i-vantage.com> wrote in message news:sDZOLqlpCHA.187@forums.sybase.com... > hi > iam unable to display the data which is selected data in one datawindow to > other datawindow. > thnaks > deva > > > Hello Vasu D, Are u using shared dw's? In this case you'll only have to use the function dw_secundary.scrolltor...

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

Drop down datawindow within datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Generally, the steps are: ...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

Datawindow activex/datawindow DTC
is there any one, who has developed a web page using the above said tech? If yes pl.send me information. Regards. P.V.Rao ...

Web resources about - Export datawindow select statement form all datawindows - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo