Datawindow.SaveAs

We've been using dw.SaveAs(file,Text!,True) for some time
now, to create a csv file and opening it in Excel. Works
great for Excel version lower than 2010.
But in 2010, we get som problems so we've changed the code
to dw.SaveAs(file,Excel8!,true).
It also looks fine, but the Excel sheet contains all the
columns from the query in the datawindow. Before, using
Text!, only the columns in the datawindow itself was
exported.
Many of our customers use macros in Excel to process data,
and it is now completely messed up because of the changed
columns.

Is there any way to avoid this, or is it supposed to be this
way using the Excel8! parameter?

Regards,

Bjarne
0
Bjarne

Hi Bjarne,

The SaveAs method exports the DW primary buffer contents as returned by the
SQL statement, not what you've designed - columns reorder, display formats,
dddws, ddlbs, computed fields etc.

I've been using Desta's DW2XLS library and it's quite good in exporting what
the user sees on the screen.

http://desta.com.ua/

Aside of this, one option to consider might be to use the SaveAsAscii method
or the SaveAsFormattedText (allowing to specify file encoding).

Regards,
Ivaylo

<Bjarne Anker> wrote in message news:4d2eb9ea.218f.1681692777@sybase.com...
> We've been using dw.SaveAs(file,Text!,True) for some time
> now, to create a csv file and opening it in Excel. Works
> great for Excel version lower than 2010.
> But in 2010, we get som problems so we've changed the code
> to dw.SaveAs(file,Excel8!,true).
> It also looks fine, but the Excel sheet contains all the
> columns from the query in the datawindow. Before, using
> Text!, only the columns in the datawindow itself was
> exported.
> Many of our customers use macros in Excel to process data,
> and it is now completely messed up because of the changed
> columns.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this, or is it supposed to be this
> way using the Excel8! parameter?
>
> Regards,
>

> Bjarne

0
Ivaylo
1/13/2011 9:46:36 AM
Hi Bjarne;

   If you change the command to ... DW.SaveAs (file, Excel8!, False) - You
will no longer see the column definitions.

Also, use a DW inside a datastore and do a ShareData ( ) over to the DS.
Then, in the DS's DWO - customize only the columns you want the Excel user
to see.

HTH

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

[...]

Chris

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

datawindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

DataWindow Within DataWindow

Datawindows with child datawindows

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

a better Datawindow SaveAs function
Dear all, A general question about a common request from our clients... Is there a PB utility (third party or otherwise) to allow the user save a datawindow in some sort of WYSIWYG format. I know you can use the SaveAs function, but this saves all of the columns in the underlying select statement, not just the columns visible to the user. It's also not WYSIWYG. This is a long shot ... but is there some tool I can use to allow the user 'Cut and Paste' sections of a DataWindow to Word (for example). I've seen some applications written in Delphi that have this feat...

a better Datawindow SaveAs function
(First of all - apologies for crossposting - but it kind of suits the general newsgroup and the datawindow newsgroup !) Dear all, A general question about a common request from our clients... Is there a PB utility (third party or otherwise) to allow the user save a datawindow in some sort of WYSIWYG format. I know you can use the SaveAs function, but this saves all of the columns in the underlying select statement, not just the columns visible to the user. It's also not WYSIWYG. This is a long shot ... but is there some tool I can use to allow the user 'Cut and Past...

Error For SaveAs datawindow into PFD with using XSL-OF (datawindow have chinese data)
Dear All, In my case, Database's collation is using UTF-16LE and coding in PB10. When I save a datawindow (all data in English) in PDF format, this is work. BUT When I save a datawindow (have chinese data) in PDF format, this have error and return -1 of 'SaveAs' function. When I "save as row" at that datawindow with retrieve chinese data, it will show "java.lang.NullPointerException" error message. How can i solve this problem (can save chinese data's datawindow into PDF format)?? Thanks!! Ada ...

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

Inserting datawindow to another datawindow
Hello, what is the best (ok, any) method of inserting all visual objects from first datawindow to second datawindow, while keeping the objects from second datawindow on their place? Thank you for your time :-) Jakub Janda The best method would be to go back to design :-)) pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-)) Philip Salgannik "Jakub Janda" <Jakub.Janda@empire.cz> wrote in message news:mRGyciwUAHA.202@forums.sybase.com... > Hello, > > what is the best (ok, any) method of inserting all visual objects > from first datawindow to second datawi...

Drop down datawindow within a datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Please post this question ...

Properties of a datawindow on a composite datawindow
I have a composite report that has 2 nested datawindows. At run time, I want to modify the dataobject of one of the nested datawindows on the report. I am using the GetChild function to get a reference to the nested datawindow on the report. Here's the code I am using. dw_maintain_code is the nested datawindow on dw_composite. li_rtn = dw_composite.GetChild("dw_maintain_code",ldw_child1) //get reference ls_rtn = ldw_child1.Modify('dw_maintain_code.dataobject = d_code_sync') li_rtn = dw_code_type_list.ShareData(ldw_child1) The Modify returns an empty str...

Web resources about - Datawindow.SaveAs - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo