Datawindow vs Embedded SQL

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7A377.D3C2C060

Can anyone point me to some good documentation (or provide the answers =
here) as to the pro's and con's of using a DataWindow or Embedded SQL?  =
Which is better, which is more efficient, what way does Sybase =
recommend?  Any documentation that can help me answer these questions =
would be helpful, also any insights any of you might have would be =
great. Thank you!

--=20
Dave Hauze
------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7A377.D3C2C060

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can anyone point me to some good =
documentation (or=20
provide the answers here) as to the pro's and con's of using a =
DataWindow or=20
Embedded SQL?&nbsp; Which is better, which is more efficient, what way =
does=20
Sybase recommend?&nbsp; Any documentation that can help me answer these=20
questions would be helpful, also any insights any of you might have =
would be=20
great. Thank you!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>-- <BR>Dave =
Hauze</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7A377.D3C2C060--

0
David

Use a DataStore if you don't need the data visible. You can easily create
one from SQL if needed.
Datawindow object is reusable.
Painting the DW in graphic mode means no misspelled names
Datawindow retrieves rows in bunches - fewer round trips to the server =
noticable performance improvement
Datawindow has many functions for searching and manipulating data
Datawindow can generate SQL for different DBMS if you stay in graphic mode
Datawindow will generate appropriate DML for the changes made to the data
Most DW error handling can be set up in an ancestor object - no need to
recode
Embedded SQL can be a PITA to hunt down if you have to make a change
In almost every case, DW is better. I say almost just so as not to be
accused of the Mjolnir anti-pattern. <G>

--
Dave Hauze

0
Jerry
5/31/2007 4:48:07 PM
For performance, embedded sql is better for doing mass changes (multiple rows)
by sending a single sql statement to the server.
say you want to delete all customers that live in a particular state - a single
delete sql statement can be written using embedded sql.

"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com> wrote in message
> Use a DataStore if you don't need the data visible. You can easily create one
> from SQL if needed.
> Datawindow object is reusable.
> Painting the DW in graphic mode means no misspelled names
> Datawindow retrieves rows in bunches - fewer round trips to the server =
> noticable performance improvement
> Datawindow has many functions for searching and manipulating data
> Datawindow can generate SQL for different DBMS if you stay in graphic mode
> Datawindow will generate appropriate DML for the changes made to the data
> Most DW error handling can be set up in an ancestor object - no need to recode
> Embedded SQL can be a PITA to hunt down if you have to make a change
> In almost every case, DW is better. I say almost just so as not to be accused
> of the Mjolnir anti-pattern. <G>
>
> "David Hauze" <david.hauze@steeldynamics.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me to some good documentation (or provide the answers here)
> as to the pro's and con's of using a DataWindow or Embedded SQL?  Which is
> better, which is more efficient, what way does Sybase recommend?  Any
> documentation that can help me answer these questions would be helpful, also
> any insights any of you might have would be great. Thank you!
>
> --
> Dave Hauze

datawindow vs. embedded sql
Hi, I would like to update a table, but have found using datawindows to be very slow especially when performing a lot of dw_1.SetItem statements. Instead, I'm using embedded sql insert statements for each row. Could someone please explain the disadvantages of using embedded sql? Thanks, Inya Embedded SQL is useful for several things. What are you planning on doing with it? If you put it in a loop and send one insert/update... at a time to the server than wait for the reply and then send the next one... Too slow... Also you will have to do something with the transa...

Embedded SQL Vs DataWindow Update...
Hi : I have often heard a debate on the processing speeds of embedded SQLs. I have heard an argument stating that "Embedded SQL takes more time to execute than the update of a DataWindow that is defined with a SQL similar to the embedded SQL". Does anyone have any clue about the authenticity of the above argument? Which of these is a better approach? Thanks in advance. Biju Nair I have no way of confirming this and can only offer reasoning as the justification for my opinion. I think Embedded SQL should be faster than similar SQL generated by a DW. The SQL...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Embedded SQL vs datawindow object in PB7
I'm trying to run a Select statement against an Informix database with PowerBuilder 7 and using the Intersolv Informix 9 driver. I've created a dw object that I can retrieve 3 rows from the Informix database. I've created the same SQL statement and embedded it in a window function. When I run the window, the statement seems to run ok, but I get no rows from it. I've connected to the database, set the trans object and retrieved all in consecutive lines, but it still doesn't return anything. I've even tried creating a test window that has a dw control on it...

embedding a datawindow within a datawindow
Below is a sample of the format for a report I need to create. The report will display courses that may or may not be part of group, because the people running the courses can choose from all the courses available to create their own "group" of courses. Since a course may or may not be part of a group would using an embedded datawindow for the group info work? How? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The data is coming from two tables. Thanks, Kevin CourseID CourseTitle CourseTopic EnrollMax EnrollCurrent 100145A "Sample" "Sample"...

Html-datawindow vs web-datawindow
Hi! We have mede some pages using datawindowbuilder. There we used html-datawindows. Now we have upgraded to PB8 and here it is called web-datawindow. What is the differense? 40% of the pages arnt working after we migrated to PB8. It seems like there have been some changes? Regards Staale What errors are you seeing with the problem pages? A. Staale wrote: > Hi! > > We have mede some pages using datawindowbuilder. > There we used html-datawindows. > Now we have upgraded to PB8 and here it is called web-datawindow. > What is the differense? >...

SQL vs Datawindow
Hi All, I was wondering if there were reasons for utilizing SQL and not a Datawindow or a Datastore when performing an update or insert? Is there a preferable way. Which is better? Thanks The preferable way is whatever works, Sorry had to say it ;-). This is a subject where you are going to get a lot of different opinions. In my opinion I like to use a datawindow or datastore for any updates or inserts where there is more then one record affected. For the times when there is only one record affected I create a function on a userobject and do it from there. One of the thing...

changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL
Hi I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private network, and requires a VPN to connect to). In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database interface from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL again because I get this error: Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode? If I select "NO", the SQL is...

Embedded DataWindow within the new HTML DataWindow
Hi All, Does the new HTML datawindow support embedded HTML datawindows? Thanks. Andy Egleston In a word, no. Here's an extract from an upcoming article I wrote for PBDJ on the HTMLDW and the presentation styles it supports: Presentation Style Report (non-updateable) Form (updateable) ================== ======================= ================= Composite No (HTMLDW not supported) No (HTMLDW not supported) Cross-tab Yes No (cannot set tab order) Freeform Yes Yes Graph ...

HTML Datawindow DTC vs. Datawindow DTC
Can anyone tell me if the HTML Datawindow DTC provides an 'easy' way to make columns sortable like you can in the Datawindow DTC? Thanks, NP To do this you can code the following: <SCRIPT> htmlDW.SetSort('#1 A'); htmlDW.Sort(); </SCRIPT> This code could be tied to a drop down list box or a set of radio buttons that contains the column names to be sorted. Regards, Dan van Leeuwen On Wed, 12 May 1999 16:48:40 -0500, "Noah Pruzek" <npruzek@hotmail.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me if the HTML Datawindow DTC provides an...

datawindow

Datawindows with child datawindows

Web resources about - Datawindow vs Embedded SQL - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo