Datawindow SQL Painter sometimes crashes when opening SQL in PB9

We recently migrated from PB7 to PB9.  I have a few datawindows that open
fine in PB7 but when I open the SQL in PB9, PowerBuiler crashes.  These
datawindows work fine in the executable PB9 application, but I can't open
the SQL.

Termination error reads:

"AppName:  pb90.exe      AppVer:  9.0.0.5507     ModName:  pbsql90.dll
 ModVer:  9.0.0.6066      Offset:  0005c8f"

I don't know of any common thread in these few datawindows that would make
them have problems while most of the other datawindows do not.

I noticed that a few other people have posted this (or a similar) problem,
but their problems appear to be linked with Oracle - we use MS SQL Server
2000.

We are using PB 9.0 Build 6066 against a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database.
PB development environment is run on Windows XP.  Please advise.  Thank you.

0
Kristine

Try PB 9.1.7011 ---
    This version seems to have this problem fixed, otherwise you will need
to edit your datawindows in "text" form.  There were several SQL sequences
that caused the problem.

"Kristine Hammond" <kstaples@buffalo.edu> wrote in message
> We recently migrated from PB7 to PB9.  I have a few datawindows that open
> fine in PB7 but when I open the SQL in PB9, PowerBuiler crashes.  These
> datawindows work fine in the executable PB9 application, but I can't open
> the SQL.
>
> Termination error reads:
>
> "AppName:  pb90.exe      AppVer:  9.0.0.5507     ModName:  pbsql90.dll
>  ModVer:  9.0.0.6066      Offset:  0005c8f"
>
> I don't know of any common thread in these few datawindows that would make
> them have problems while most of the other datawindows do not.
>
> I noticed that a few other people have posted this (or a similar) problem,
> but their problems appear to be linked with Oracle - we use MS SQL Server
> 2000.
>
> We are using PB 9.0 Build 6066 against a Microsoft SQL Server 2000
database.
> PB development environment is run on Windows XP.  Please advise.  Thank
you.

0
Tyler
10/23/2003 4:48:54 PM
Just to update anyone else experiencing this problem.  This is a documented
PB9 bug (CR# 333053) that is fixed in the latest PB9 EBF (we obtained PB9
build 7031).  CR# 333053 - DataWindow painter may crash when going back to
the Data Source, if you have a computed column as select in Syntax mode.
Not all computed columns will cause a GPF.  No further details.

Apparently a similar bug also existed in PB7 (CR# 210172), but was fixed,
then broken again in PB9, then fixed again.  CR# 210172 - Switching from SQL
painter to design mode GPFs in PGSQL70.DLL using alias.  This was reported
in PB70 and was fixed in PB7.0.2 build 8021 and PB8.0 build 1261.  Later
similar problem in some PB90 builds but fixed in PB901 builds (no exact
build).

Obtaining the latest EBF did solve our problem.  However, due to current
time limitations for testing, we are not in a position to upgrade our Power
Builder version at this time.  However, there is a temporary workaround for
anyone else in the same situation.

The workaround (recommended by Sybase) is to obtain the latest EBF (where
the PB bug is fixed) and install it on a separate computer.  Then, export
your problem datawindow, import into the latest EBF, make SQL modifications,
export, and re-import back into your current version of PB9.

We have tried this with a few datawindows (we have 42 that GPF), and have
had success so far.

"Tyler Cruse" <tcruse@trlx.com> wrote in message
> Try PB 9.1.7011 ---
>     This version seems to have this problem fixed, otherwise you will need
> to edit your datawindows in "text" form.  There were several SQL sequences
> that caused the problem.
>
> "Kristine Hammond" <kstaples@buffalo.edu> wrote in message
> > We recently migrated from PB7 to PB9.  I have a few datawindows that
open
> > fine in PB7 but when I open the SQL in PB9, PowerBuiler crashes.  These
> > datawindows work fine in the executable PB9 application, but I can't
open
> > the SQL.
> >
> > Termination error reads:
> >
> > "AppName:  pb90.exe      AppVer:  9.0.0.5507     ModName:  pbsql90.dll
> >  ModVer:  9.0.0.6066      Offset:  0005c8f"
> >
> > I don't know of any common thread in these few datawindows that would
make
> > them have problems while most of the other datawindows do not.
> >
> > I noticed that a few other people have posted this (or a similar)
problem,
> > but their problems appear to be linked with Oracle - we use MS SQL
Server
> > 2000.
> >
> > We are using PB 9.0 Build 6066 against a Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> database.
> > PB development environment is run on Windows XP.  Please advise.  Thank
> you.

0
Kristine

Datawindow SQL Painter crashes sometimes when opening the SQL in PB 9
I have datawindows that open fine in PB 8 and when I open the SQL in PB 9, Powerbuilder crashes. It has happened with several windows in an application that I migrated to Powerbuilder 9. These datawindows seem to work fine in the executable application but I can't open the SQL. I can't see any common thread in them. None of them are trying to open in graphics view. What database? On Fri, 30 May 2003 18:06:01 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow <jmoen> wrote: >I have datawindows that open fine in PB 8 and when I open the SQL in PB 9, &...

SQL
pb 7.0.3 I cant seem to make the following query in SQL data source painter: SELECT coa.coa_code, coa.account_group1, accountgroups.ac_group_code FROM coa INNER JOIN accountgroups ON coa.account_group1=accountgroups.ac_group_code; it appears that the SQL data source painter in dw allows INNER JOIN where names of columns are same in both the tables. The above works when i issues Raw select command in my scripts or use createfromsynatx() .. Is there a way to write manual queries that can be made as data source of a datawindow ? Thanks Nohman oh well i didnt look at the...

Datawindow Painter crashing when viewing SQL
I have a problem with vieweing the SQL on all datawindows. PowerBuilder crashes as soon as I try to view the SQL behind any datawindow. I can open the Datawindow painter and retreive, but it crashes when viewing the SQL. I am using PB 7.0.3 with Oracle 8 DB and oracle 9 client. Thanks, Kiril. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp > I have a problem with vieweing the SQL on all datawindows. > PowerBuilder crashes as soon as I try to view the SQL > behind any datawindow. I can open the Datawindow paint...

Problems within Datawindow Painter (SQL Painter)
When in the SQL Painter I receive a Database error when exiting and any changes to the SQL are lost. I just installed the EBF Build 8046. Within the documentation for this EBF it speaks to not being able to use '*=' any longer. We do not use that syntax but rather 'LEFT OUTER JOIN'. I copied the syntax that was in the EBF notes but this also gave the same error. Looking for someone who has had this problem and has a work around. There are things within the 8046 build that we require, but if this can not be fixed I guess I will have to go back to 8011. Than...

PowerBuilder 9.0.1 crashes when datawindow SQL calls stored procedures
We use PowerBuilder 9.0.1 on MS Windows XP Professional, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 29 GB free disk space, with Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle 8.7.1. We installed the 9.0.1 patch on Sept. 9. On the surface, all looked fine. On Sept. 10, we had to change a query behind a datawindow, and PB would keep crashing and shutting down everytime we tried to open the SQL view (syntax mode). It turns out that that datawindow is not the only one that has that problem. Almost all our other datawindows suffers from the same problem. In particular, the problem almost always hits...

changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL
Hi I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private network, and requires a VPN to connect to). In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database interface from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL again because I get this error: Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode? If I select "NO", the SQL is...

PowerBuilder crashes when opening datawindows
Hi, when I try edit any datawindows, PB crashes. I can open menus, windows...but not datawindows. If I right-click on the datawindow and select Edit Source, I am able to view the code but if I choose Edit it also crashes. Thanks, Joelle You need to post this in a PowerBuilder related section. This is the DataWindow.Net section. <Joelle> wrote in message news:4339b8bf.521c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > when I try edit any datawindows, PB crashes. I can open > menus, windows...but not datawindows. If I right-click on > the datawindow and select Edit Sourc...

PowerBuilder crashing in SQL painter
When attempting to open the SQL painter PowerBuilder 8.0.3 crashes (Using 9.0.1 and 8.4 Oracle drivers, and OS is XP). > When attempting to open the SQL painter PowerBuilder 8.0.3 > crashes (Using 9.0.1 and 8.4 Oracle drivers, and OS is > XP). The driver is very sensitive - try going into edit source and checking if you have unaliased function calls or computed sql columns which are not parenthesized, smth like my_package.my_call(bla) yes_no_flag should be replaced with (my_package.my_call(bla)) yes_no_flag We have seen this on 9.01 6533 when the query contains case ...

DataWindow SQL Painter Syntax
Does anyone know what the proper syntax is for the DataWindow Painter SQL syntax to accept SQL 6.5 style JOIN statements. For example I was trying to get the SQL style statement such as this to create my datawindow : SELECT distinct CoABC_order.order_id, CoABC_order_ids.cust_order_id, CoABC_order.order_date, CoABC_order_item.prod_id, CoABC_member_a.sip_tag, CoABC_member_a.CoABC_mem_alias, CoABC_member_a.CoABC_mem_alias, CoABC_member_b.CoABC_mem_alias, CoABC_billing.last_name, CoABC_billing.first_name, CoABC_shipping.last_name, CoABC_sh...

Cannot convert in DataWindow SQL Painter
Hi I'm using PB7.02 / ASA 7.0.3. When I write the following statement in the datawindow SQL painter: convert( datetime, substring( :as_Start,1,4) + '-' + right(:as_End,2) + '-1') and want to return I got the message: Cannot convert 0-0-1 to a timestamp. Version 5.5.05 of SQL Anywhere was fine with this. Any ideas. Regards Arthur ...

Opening a datawindow crashes PowerBuilder
At work we have about 5 different developers that experienced a problem when opening any datawindow from the PowerBuilder painter. PB crashes and halts altogether. Funny thing is their PowerBuilder was working fine the day before. My PowerBuilder still is working fine and some other developers have not experienced the problem. All of the affected PowerBuilder programs are on separate pc's and the developers work on different PowerBuilder projects. That makes the mystery even more confusing. The error is a pb70.exe - "Application Error" with the error being "Th...

Using SQL in datawindow painter
I have learned by trial and error some ways to use the datawindow painter to make SQL statements and computed columns. For instance on the "Computed Column" line in the SQL Select page of the datawindow painter I can do things like: 0 "copy_from" 0 || widthno grid_width ' ' linetype '000' totals_sort Is there any documentation on how to do this? How can I create columns with different data types, like decimal. The ones above are char(3), or longs, etc. Where do you learn about using ||, etc? Are there any other tricks? Thanks, paul@...

PowerBuilder crashes when opening datawindows.
Hi, when I try edit any datawindows, PB crashes. I can open menus, windows...but not datawindows. If I right-click on the datawindow and select Edit Source, I am able to view the code but if I choose Edit it also crashes. Thanks, Joelle Remove the Layout/DataWindow key from the HKCU/Software/Sybase/PowerBuilder/<version> key in the registry. On 27 Sep 2005 14:29:30 -0700, Joelle wrote: >Hi, >when I try edit any datawindows, PB crashes. I can open >menus, windows...but not datawindows. If I right-click on >the datawindow and select Edit Source, I am able to...

Datawindow Crashing with very simple SQL
When writing a simple select SQL statement within a datawindow, for example SELECT A.Field FROM ABC.TABLE A ; PB complies with no problems it can run the SQL and return data. But when you go to view the SQL PB Crashes. We are running version 7.02 Can anybody please help This sounds like PowerBuilder to me. Maybe you should try posting over there. -- Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] mailto:psyclo@datamodel.org http://www.datamodel.org <Rob_Dessoy> wrote in message news:F69FDD82EAE76530005560CB85256A07.005560DB85256A07@webforums... > When writing a...

Web resources about - Datawindow SQL Painter sometimes crashes when opening SQL in PB9 - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo