Datawindow Retrieve returning -1 after dynamically assigning Datawindow's dataobject

We are experiencing the same issues here, except that we are
not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting the
datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow, retrieving and
getting a return code of -1

We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL 2008

Our Code
choose case is_parm[1]
	case 'C'
        ls_dw	= "d_r_confirmation"
end choose

	idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
	idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)

	ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)

The post below sounds very similar to what we are struggling
with.

> I am changing the SQL of the datawindow during runtime
> It >>> is returning -1 when I use retrieve function . But
> if I >>> assign the sql for the datawindow in design time
> it is >>> retrieving rows.Also if I run the SQL generated
> during run >>> time in the back end(SQL 2006 client) I am
> getting rows.Also >>> I ran the sql in ISQL session
> powerbuilder . It is working >>> fine.Please help.
0
Liezl

Most likely the dataobject is misspelled or not available in the
executable - you would need to use PBDs or reference the dataobject in a
PBR.
Check for this with IsValid (idw_temp.object). IIRC that condition would
also result in SetTransObject returning -1.

--
Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
Product Enhancement Requests:

<Liezl Nel> wrote in message news:4c068f69.3af4.1681692777@sybase.com...
> We are experiencing the same issues here, except that we are
> not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting the
> datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow, retrieving and
> getting a return code of -1
>
> We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
> We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL 2008
>
> Our Code
> choose case is_parm[1]
> case 'C'
>        ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation"
> end choose
>
> idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
> idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)
>
> ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)
>
> The post below sounds very similar to what we are struggling
> with.
>
>> I am changing the SQL of the datawindow during runtime
>> It >>> is returning -1 when I use retrieve function . But
>> if I >>> assign the sql for the datawindow in design time
>> it is >>> retrieving rows.Also if I run the SQL generated
>> during run >>> time in the back end(SQL 2006 client) I am
>> getting rows.Also >>> I ran the sql in ISQL session
>> powerbuilder . It is working >>> fine.Please help.

0
Jerry
6/2/2010 5:18:50 PM
Thanks for your response, here is our situation

The name of the datawindow is spelled correctly and if we
retrieve the datawindow in the datawindow painter, with the
same parameter to the same database, it retrieves correctly.

The ISVALID function returns true.

We are indeed using PBD's
What do you mean with IIRC, sorry I think I know what you
mean but just want to be certain.

> Most likely the dataobject is misspelled or not available
> in the  executable - you would need to use PBDs or
> reference the dataobject in a  PBR.
> Check for this with IsValid (idw_temp.object). IIRC that
> condition would  also result in SetTransObject returning
> -1.
>
> --
> Report Bugs to Sybase:
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do Product
> Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>

> <Liezl Nel> wrote in message
> > news:4c068f69.3af4.1681692777@sybase.com... We are
> > experiencing the same issues here, except that we are
> not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting
> > the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow,
> > retrieving and getting a return code of -1
> >
> > We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
> > We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL
> 2008 >
> > Our Code
> > choose case is_parm[1]
> > case 'C'
> >        ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation"
> > end choose
> >
> > idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
> > idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)
> >
> > ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)
> >
> > The post below sounds very similar to what we are
> > struggling with.
> >
> >> I am changing the SQL of the datawindow during runtime
> >> It >>> is returning -1 when I use retrieve function .
> But >> if I >>> assign the sql for the datawindow in
> design time >> it is >>> retrieving rows.Also if I run the
> SQL generated >> during run >>> time in the back end(SQL
> 2006 client) I am >> getting rows.Also >>> I ran the sql
> in ISQL session >> powerbuilder . It is working >>>
> fine.Please help.

0
Liezl
6/2/2010 7:11:40 PM
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.
Set a breakpoint in the DBError event of the DW and see if the arguments say
anything interesting.
--

<Liezl Nel> wrote in message news:4c06acec.40a6.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Thanks for your response, here is our situation
>
> The name of the datawindow is spelled correctly and if we
> retrieve the datawindow in the datawindow painter, with the
> same parameter to the same database, it retrieves correctly.
>
> The ISVALID function returns true.
>
> We are indeed using PBD's
> What do you mean with IIRC, sorry I think I know what you
> mean but just want to be certain.
>
>> Most likely the dataobject is misspelled or not available
>> in the  executable - you would need to use PBDs or
>> reference the dataobject in a  PBR.
>> Check for this with IsValid (idw_temp.object). IIRC that
>> condition would  also result in SetTransObject returning
>> -1.
>>
>> --
>> Report Bugs to Sybase:
>> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do Product
>> Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>

>> <Liezl Nel> wrote in message
>> > news:4c068f69.3af4.1681692777@sybase.com... We are
>> > experiencing the same issues here, except that we are
>> not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting
>> > the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow,
>> > retrieving and getting a return code of -1
>> >
>> > We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
>> > We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL
>> 2008 >
>> > Our Code
>> > choose case is_parm[1]
>> > case 'C'
>> >        ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation"
>> > end choose
>> >
>> > idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
>> > idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)
>> >
>> > ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)
>> >
>> > The post below sounds very similar to what we are
>> > struggling with.

>> But >> if I >>> assign the sql for the datawindow in
>> design time >> it is >>> retrieving rows.Also if I run the
>> SQL generated >> during run >>> time in the back end(SQL
>> 2006 client) I am >> getting rows.Also >>> I ran the sql
>> in ISQL session >> powerbuilder . It is working >>>
>> fine.Please help.

0
Jerry
6/2/2010 8:27:23 PM
For kicks & giggles, might want to be sure the connect() worked (valid
dbhandle) and the settransobject returned 1, I don't recall either of
those being verified.  Also, if you typed in the name of an external
source dw by mistake (which it doesn't sound like), you would get a -1 also.

KR

On 6/2/2010 4:27 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.
> Set a breakpoint in the DBError event of the DW and see if the arguments say
> anything interesting.

Yes the connect() worked
The SetTransObject returned 1
last scenario was checked - not the case ;)

PS for some reason - and please help me make sense of this -
the ISVALID function in there, caused it to retrieve
successfully
now.
We called the ISVALID function right before the RETRIEVE.

> For kicks & giggles, might want to be sure the connect()
> worked (valid  dbhandle) and the settransobject returned 1
> , I don't recall either of  those being verified.  Also,
> if you typed in the name of an external  source dw by
> mistake (which it doesn't sound like), you would get a -1
> also.
>
> KR
>
> On 6/2/2010 4:27 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> > IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.
> > Set a breakpoint in the DBError event of the DW and see
> > if the arguments say anything interesting.

0
Liezl
6/2/2010 8:56:25 PM
It shouldn't make a difference, unless Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
applies to bits as well as electrons ;-)
Comment out the IsValid and see if that makes a difference.
Resolve to put guard code on anything that could reasonably fail.
If you need to lighten up a bit, Google "The Tao of Programming".

--

<Liezl Nel> wrote in message news:4c06c579.4380.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Yes the connect() worked
> The SetTransObject returned 1
> last scenario was checked - not the case ;)
>
> PS for some reason - and please help me make sense of this -
> the ISVALID function in there, caused it to retrieve
> successfully
> now.
> We called the ISVALID function right before the RETRIEVE.
>
>> For kicks & giggles, might want to be sure the connect()
>> worked (valid  dbhandle) and the settransobject returned 1
>> , I don't recall either of  those being verified.  Also,
>> if you typed in the name of an external  source dw by
>> mistake (which it doesn't sound like), you would get a -1
>> also.
>>
>> KR
>>
>> On 6/2/2010 4:27 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> > IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.
>> > Set a breakpoint in the DBError event of the DW and see
>> > if the arguments say anything interesting.

0
Jerry
6/2/2010 9:42:13 PM
Sounds crazy, but make sure that your Datawindow exists in the right PBL and is choosen during runtime.

Shame on me, but I also worked (several times) on a Datawindow that was not choosen during runtime,
because there was an older version of the Datawindow in one of the pbls, upper in the library search path.

It's not a bug...

hth

Arnd

On 2 Jun 2010 12:11:40 -0700, Liezl Nel wrote:

>Thanks for your response, here is our situation
>
>The name of the datawindow is spelled correctly and if we
>retrieve the datawindow in the datawindow painter, with the
>same parameter to the same database, it retrieves correctly.
>
>The ISVALID function returns true.
>
>We are indeed using PBD's
>What do you mean with IIRC, sorry I think I know what you
>mean but just want to be certain.
>
>> Most likely the dataobject is misspelled or not available
>> in the  executable - you would need to use PBDs or
>> reference the dataobject in a  PBR.
>> Check for this with IsValid (idw_temp.object). IIRC that
>> condition would  also result in SetTransObject returning
>> -1.
>>
>> --
>> Report Bugs to Sybase:
>> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do Product
>> Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>

>> <Liezl Nel> wrote in message
>> > news:4c068f69.3af4.1681692777@sybase.com... We are
>> > experiencing the same issues here, except that we are
>> not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting
>> > the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow,
>> > retrieving and getting a return code of -1
>> >
>> > We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
>> > We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL
>> 2008 >
>> > Our Code
>> > choose case is_parm[1]
>> > case 'C'
>> >        ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation"
>> > end choose
>> >
>> > idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
>> > idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)
>> >
>> > ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)
>> >
>> > The post below sounds very similar to what we are
>> > struggling with.

>> But >> if I >>> assign the sql for the datawindow in
>> design time >> it is >>> retrieving rows.Also if I run the
>> SQL generated >> during run >>> time in the back end(SQL
>> 2006 client) I am >> getting rows.Also >>> I ran the sql
>> in ISQL session >> powerbuilder . It is working >>>
>> fine.Please help.

0
Arnd
6/2/2010 10:02:16 PM
One thing that may work on your case, do a FULL REBUILD of
your workspace. Sometimes the objects need to regenerated.

> We are experiencing the same issues here, except that we
> are not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are
> setting the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow,
> retrieving and getting a return code of -1
>
> We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
> We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL
> 2008
>
> Our Code
> choose case is_parm[1]
>     case 'C'
>         ls_dw    = "d_r_confirmation"
> end choose
>
>     idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
>     idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)
>
>     ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)
>
> The post below sounds very similar to what we are
> struggling with.
>
> > I am changing the SQL of the datawindow during runtime
> > It >>> is returning -1 when I use retrieve function .
> > But if I >>> assign the sql for the datawindow in design
> > time it is >>> retrieving rows.Also if I run the SQL
> > generated during run >>> time in the back end(SQL 2006
> > client) I am getting rows.Also >>> I ran the sql in ISQL
> > session powerbuilder . It is working >>> fine.Please
> help.
0
Neil
6/3/2010 1:36:50 AM
Hi All
Thanks a Lot for your suggestion.I will explain in detail.
The DW object name is stored in a table. We use
GetItemString to get the name and assign it to the DW
control.
Since the code directly assigns the name ,it could not be
validated . From the below suggestion I used IsValid and it
returned False. So by debugging I checked the name od DW
object and found that empty space is been added at the end
of DW object. This was the root cause and I used trim
function and now It is working fine. Thanks for your
support.

Regards
Anand

Thanks for your response, here is our situation

> The name of the datawindow is spelled correctly and if we
> retrieve the datawindow in the datawindow painter, with
> the same parameter to the same database, it retrieves
> correctly.
>
> The ISVALID function returns true.
>
> We are indeed using PBD's
> What do you mean with IIRC, sorry I think I know what you
> mean but just want to be certain.
>
> > Most likely the dataobject is misspelled or not
> > available in the  executable - you would need to use
> > PBDs or reference the dataobject in a  PBR.
> > Check for this with IsValid (idw_temp.object). IIRC that
> > condition would  also result in SetTransObject returning
> > -1.
> >
> > --
> > Report Bugs to Sybase:
> > http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do Product
> > Enhancement Requests:
> > http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
> >

> > <Liezl Nel> wrote in message
> > > news:4c068f69.3af4.1681692777@sybase.com... We are
> > > experiencing the same issues here, except that we are
> > not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting
> > > the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow,
> > > retrieving and getting a return code of -1
> > >
> > > We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537
> > > We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS
> > SQL 2008 >
> > > Our Code
> > > choose case is_parm[1]
> > > case 'C'
> > >        ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation"
> > > end choose
> > >
> > > idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw
> > > idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA)
> > >
> > > ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno)
> > >
> > > The post below sounds very similar to what we are
> > > struggling with.

> > runtime >> It >>> is returning -1 when I use retrieve
> > function . But >> if I >>> assign the sql for the
> > datawindow in design time >> it is >>> retrieving
> > rows.Also if I run the SQL generated >> during run >>>
> > time in the back end(SQL 2006 client) I am >> getting
> > rows.Also >>> I ran the sql in ISQL session >>
> > powerbuilder . It is working >>> fine.Please help.

0
Anand

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

I need to create 'on the fly' a composite datawindow with data from other datawindows without retrieve again
problem: I need to create 'on the fly' a composite datawindow including several data (reports) from other datawindows without retrieve again (the other datawindows have data from previus dw. retrieve). I want just combine all datawindows in one to print in a signle page. Is there a method to do it ? Afentakis Andreas adr@pca.com.gr You could use some of PFC's functions, or create a composite dwo, with the same dwo's attached to the reports as in the main dwo's something like this: dw_composite.Object.d_report1.DataObject = dw_data1.dataobject dw...

What's the difference between datawindow dtc and html datawindow dtc?
Hi, all. In powersite we can find some dtc activex. but what's the difference between datawindow dtc and html datawindow dtc? When should I use one and when should I use the other? Thanks. Feng Please see InstaHelp for the answer, under this topic: PowerSite Concepts and Procedures > Working in The PowerSite Client > Integrating application servers > About the HTML DataWindow DTC Regards, Jackie Feng Zhu <fzhu_genshare@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:VPM1v2syAHA.191@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, all. > &...

Powerbuilder Datawindow Retrieve is unusually slow. What's wrong?
We are using powerbuilder with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5. An issue we are having is that datawindows that have records 10000+ slow down almost exponentially during a retrieve the higher amount of records there is. A 40000 record datawindow should not take 5-10 minutes to retrieve on a 1ghz machine. Have any of you experienced a similar problem? Please let me know any suggestions you have. Please email me at johnowens50@hotmail.com John Owens johnowens50@hotmail.com Two possibilities: 1) your computer is memory-starved. Is the paging rate going up as the retrieval progre...

Setting column's property in a datawindow from composite datawindow
Hi I know this is easy but I cant get it to work. I have two datawindows controls (dw_1, dw_2) in a composite datawindow (dw_report). I want to change Text of a header column of dw_2, so I try it using: 1. GetChild and Modify ------ datawindowchild ldw_child Int li_Rtn String ls_Error dw_Report.SetTransObject ( SQLCA ) li_Rtn = dw_Report.GetChild ( "dw_2", ldw_Child ) /* This returns 1, no problem */ If li_Rtn = 1 Then ls_Error = ldw_Child.Modify ( "item_number_t.Text = ~'New Text~' ") /* ls_Error is empty string, no problem, but report do...

Retrieving a PSR's Nested Datawindow Data with a Dynamic DWObject
Hi - I currently export data from a .PSR file with a nested datawindow using this code. Works great except I need to check the object name in the .PSR file and change my hardcode accordingly. // Start code ll_Rows = dw_1.RowCount() FOR ll_i = 1 to ll_Rows // first nested datawindow ldw_Nest = dw_1.Object.obj_192511780[ll_i] ls_dr_primary_nest = ldw_Nest.Object.Datawindow.data NEXT // End code I tried modifying my code to take advantage of the get_attribute function I just read about which is successful in getting the name of the nested datawindow and the data of th...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

Datawindows with child datawindows

datawindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

Help!!! Assign Datawindow into Datawindow object
Usually I used to assign a datawindow (dw_train) in a datawindow object (dw_1) in a window is go to propertise of datawindow object and browse for datawindow. My Question:- How to this action into pb script? If you want to assign datawindow 'd_my_dw' to a dw control dw_1 in your script, you would say dw_1.DataObject = 'd_my_dw' If you are going to make an executable, do not forget to include d_my_dw in your resource file. On Fri, 04 Dec 1998 07:34:37 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript CKS21 <cks21@tm.net.my> wrote: >Usually I used to...

Composite datawindow and dynamical creation of datawindows
My composite datawindow has in the detail band 1 nested datawindows. The first nested datawindow is always fixed. What I want to do is to add dynamicly more drop down datawindows, is this possible. I've tried several options but it never worked, so I'm affraid it is not possible. Has anyone an idea. Thanks in advance. Marc. I have what appears to be a similar requirement, a dw with nested dw, and I want to modify the nested dw to alter some of the field labels at runtime. I've a feeling it's not possible, as GetChild doesn't work, presu...

Web resources about - Datawindow Retrieve returning -1 after dynamically assigning Datawindow's dataobject - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow