Datawindow from arbitrary SQL statement

Hi -

I have an SQL statement which executes fine on my host, the results of which
I would like displayed (read-only) in a datawindow.

I can't seem to define a datawindow that has as its syntax arbitrary SQL,
since the DW painter seems to want to be able to "understand" it ... that
is, my statement uses "WITH" clauses, and UNIONs, etc to the extent that is
not graphically representable.

Can I just tell the dw painter "never mind, just run the statement as is and
help me layout the results "  ?

Thom

Choose Convert to Syntax, then try to paste your complex SQL. Don't return
to graphic format for your SQL statement.

/MicK
Michael Kramer, SPS Danmark

"Thom Adams" <tadams@averon.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have an SQL statement which executes fine on my host, the results of
which
> I would like displayed (read-only) in a datawindow.
>
> I can't seem to define a datawindow that has as its syntax arbitrary SQL,
> since the DW painter seems to want to be able to "understand" it ... that
> is, my statement uses "WITH" clauses, and UNIONs, etc to the extent that
is
> not graphically representable.
>
> Can I just tell the dw painter "never mind, just run the statement as is
and
> help me layout the results "  ?
>
> Thanks

0
Michael
1/10/2002 8:53:57 AM
Create a new datawindow. When you get the 'Select Tables' box, cancel the
box. Go to design in the menu. Select 'Convert to syntax'. Paste the first
select statement from your sql. The where clause doesn't matter at this
point. This will create the columns and datawindow layout. Go back to the
SQL painter. You can paste in the full sql statement and compile. Save any
changes in an editor as the compile will only tell you that htere were
errors and revert to the original sql.
0
grwilliams

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Help! How to modify the sql select statement for a nested datawindow inside a composite datawindow?
Help! How to modify the sql select statement for a nested datawindow inside a composite datawindow? Would the following work? dw_nest.Object.DataWindow.Table.Select="select employee_id from ..." Please help. jungan@aboex.com GetChild () ??? "Jun Gan" <jungan@aboex.com> wrote in message news:40e48313$1@forums-2-dub... > Help! > > How to modify the sql select statement for a nested datawindow inside a > composite datawindow? > > Would the following work? > > dw_nest.Object.DataWindow.Table.Select="select e...

Top Statement and INDEX= Statement in Datawindow SQL Painter
Hi, Is there any way to put TOP and INDEX statement into Sql definition in Datawindow painter in graphical view. I know that I can go to "Convert to Sytax" but I want to learn if there is an option like "DISTINCT" in painter. SQL Example: Select TOP 100 Name,Surname FROM Names (INDEX = INX_name) Thanks for all Ali 'Top 100' you can do by making the first item in the select list a computed column TOP 100 Name I can't think of a way of doing Index. I never use graphical mode for anything other than very simple queries (and usually no...

SQL statement in datawindow
In my Datawindow painter, I would like to use "LIKE" in the where clause of my SQL SELECT STATEMENT, but it doesn't seem to show the correct results. I want to show the results from the database where the input (a retireval argument) matches anything that's entered close to that entry. I tried something like this: ie. SELECT name, address, city, province, postal_code WHERE name like '%(:name)%'; How can I use LIKE in the WHERE clause where string I am trying to match is an input retrieval argument? where name like '%' + :name + '%&#...

Export datawindow select statement form all datawindows
I have a large application with a lot of DWs. DB is SQL Server 2000. Some DW use " (double quotes) in the select statement (not '), and now, with PB105 and oledb, this statements fails (MS native driver works) I know that " isn't a valid character for delimiting strings in SQL, but this large application was written by many people :) How can I find all " in all select statements in all DW within my application to do a replace. Thanks, Alex B. Hi Alex, I'm not sure wether some tool like PBL Peeper is capable...

changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL
Hi I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private network, and requires a VPN to connect to). In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database interface from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL again because I get this error: Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode? If I select "NO", the SQL is...

Datawindows with child datawindows

DataWindows and datawindow objects

datawindow

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

How do I pass an SQL statement to a datawindow?
Hello, I am creating a custom query module for my application. In that module I build the SQL statement (SELECT column1 FROM table1...), in my application, based on the criteria the user selects. I now need to display the records and I figured I could do that by passing the SQL to the datawindow and have the datawindow do the retrieval and formatting of the columns but I couldn't find any way to do that. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!! Take a look at SyntaxFromSQL function. Look at example 2 specifically Hope this helps Anil Lou wrote: >...

Web resources about - Datawindow from arbitrary SQL statement - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo