Concurrency settings for SQLA and Power++ in multiuser applications

Please excuse if this message is posted in the wrong newsgroup.
Since nobody answered my original message in power++.general, I thought I'd post
it in some other related newsgroups that I may get some feedback and learn from
other developers experiences.

I have an application that it will be used in a multi-user environment.  It uses
lots of Datawindows and data-bound control. I have recently tested the program
on a network and I find that when I try to access the same record a lot of
locking takes place (one station locks up till the other releases the lock).
The ConcurrencyLevel property on the Query objects was set to WQCLLock.

By changing the ConcurrencyLevel property to WQCOptimisticByRowVer, I was able
to allow multiple users to have access to the same record.  However, I can see
the many problems that can happen with that.

I guess these are the questions that I have:

1 - For multi-user applications, what settings do you guys use for your Query
objects ConcurrencyLevel and IsolationLevel for the Transaction Object?

2 - If I choose to use WQCLLock that only allows one user to modify a record,
how can I determine that the record is locked and present a dialog to the user
that the "record is locked by user <name>.  Please wait or hit cancel" that
stays there till the record is unlocked?  Is that what most of you do with
mutliuser programs?

3 - Since, I think, you can also set Isolation and concurrency levels on the
database side (SQLAnywhere), do you guys do that instead of hard coding this
functionality in Power++?

Any tips or tricks that you use in this area of development will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Harry
0
Harry

PowerBuilder and Power++ Datawindows
We are still maintaining an old Power++ based application, which makes quite extensive use of DataWindows. Since using the DataWindows with a MS SQL Server 2005 (a customer requirement), we are looking for a solution where we can use the old Power++ SW with a more recent DataWindows implementation. Is this possible at all with PowerBuilder? Are we able to import or migrate the already existing *.pbl/*.pbd files? Os is DataWindows.NET a more feasible solution? TIA, Oliver Oliver wrote... > We are still maintaining an old Power++ based application, > which makes quite exten...

Concurrency settings for SQLAny and Power++
I have an application that it will be used in a multi-user environment. It uses lots of Datawindows and data-bound control. I have recently tested the program on a network and I find that when I try to access the same record a lot of locking takes place (one station locks up till the other releases the lock). The ConcurrencyLevel property on the Query objects was set to WQCLLock. By changing the ConcurrencyLevel property to WQCOptimisticByRowVer, I was able to allow multiple users to have access to the same record. However, I can see the many problems that can happen with that. ...

Powerbuilder application "crashing" another powerbuilder application
This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem for messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002. *************** Hi All, I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B) built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to trigger Dr Watson on App A. There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another function sitting on another main window. That function w...

PowerBuilder template setting for Power Designer
I have trouble setting the Power Builder template for Power Designer and I got the message of "No default set for Application template! Update it in your model extended attributes". I already set the value of template library in the Libraries tab! The same problem occurs for Version 6 release 1.2, 1.3, 1.5 and version 7. I tried to set from the Model Attribute -> extended, template tab. I also tried from Client->PowerBuilder Attribute. both give me the same message about default template not set.. I tried all possible way mention in the on-line help that i could fin...

To set date mask for datawindows in Powerbuilder.
Hi All, I am udayan Majumdar and i am getting some problems in Powerbuider. My application has a number of datawindows in it. the date mask for the date fileds in the datawindows is mm/dd/yyyy. i want to branch out another application which will have the date mask as dd/mm/yyyy. Is there a way to change the date mask globally for all the date fields in the datawindows or i have to go through each date field in datawindow and change its format. or we have have come code which will help me out. Thanks in advance. Udayan I am using APOL Library and Power Builder 7.0...

To set date mask for datawindows in Powerbuilder
Thanks Terry I will try this out. Re: To set date mask for datawindows in Powerbuilder. Please post in a PB newsgroup, e.g. powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow. Thisone is for Infomaker related issues. Anyways, you can probably define a routine where you parse through the column list and for each column determine its datatype. See DWSyntax for exact syntax. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer/ http://www.pb9books.com <udayan_majumdar> wrote in message news:003F1D07D64BB9DA000FB3E5...

Error setting Application Server in Power Dynamo
Hi, I am setting the Application Server in Power Site 3.0 to deploy my proyect. I select Power Site Dynamo Deployment Controller and then I try to configure. When I press Edit the following message appears : "An error occurred loading the language DLL (wl50??t.dll) ". I have installed some times this product and this is the first time that this message appear. Could you help me please. ???. Thanks, Gladys Try checking you path and make sure there are no references to earlier versions of sql anywhere 5.0, or earlier pb shared directories... Ken Gladys Jime...

How to set up a application as an IIS application
I get this errror:Server Error in '/' Application" Error, which tells me "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS." and the line "<authentication mode="Windows">" I'm running server 2003, the page is created in VS.Net,how do I change the application to a IIS application. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Open IIS and right click the virtual directory that is giving...

How do you set the Application Name property in a SQLOLEDB connection using PowerBuilder?
I am trying to set the Application Name property in a SQLOLEDB connection using PowerBuilder. I've noticed that the Application Name property is available in the extended properties of SQLOLEDB, however I have been unsuccessful in setting it using PowerBuilder. I've noticed the Application Name property is automatically set to "PowerBuilder/InfoMaker" when connecting to SQL Server 2000 using SQLOLEDB in the PowerBuilder Development Environment, however I have been unable to determine how this property is set and/or how I can change it. I=92ve tried everything I...

How can I count number of rows in each datawindow in composit datawindow then access and set item in each row in each datawindow!
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004F_01C308EA.58A195E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi friends, I created a composite datawindow includes three datawindow. How can I count the number of rows in each datawindow? (Rowcount() function can = not works). Also, I need access in each row then reset the value that I want = in each row in each datawindow. I use the property to access to get data in each row in each datawindow, but the right value only happens in the = fi...

How can I count number of rows in each datawindow in composit datawindow then access and set item in each row in each datawindow!
Hi friends, I created a composite datawindow includes three datawindow. How can I count the number of rows in each datawindow? (Rowcount() function can not works). Also, I need access in each row then reset the value that I want in each row in each datawindow. I use the property to access to get data in each row in each datawindow, but the right value only happens in the first row of each datawindow. It seems I used the loop access the value it doesn't work. Indeed, It has the all data for me but just right for the first row in each data window. Could you have any ideas, please!...

Web resources about - Concurrency settings for SQLA and Power++ in multiuser applications - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Pre-Christmas job application rush hits Australian public service
Speed required for pre-Christmas job window opening for public servants. Check out who is hiring.

New application delivers predictive personalization for Oracle users
... their customers so they can accurately target their efforts. Machine intelligence-based marketing platform Boomtrain is launching a new application ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 34% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.1 percent from one week earlier, ...

SMIC and M31 introduce differentiated IP solutions for storage controller applications
China-based IC foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) has announced the company will expand its IP portfolio with M31 Technology's ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

Businesses Struggling with Application Performance Issues
Many IT teams still don't have a monitoring solution in place or don't have a solution equipped to detect certain types of performance issues. ...