Carriage return in field causes PB 10 to Crash..

Hi All

PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000

	We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input...
included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers
preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB
8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to
PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started
blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value
in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the
error msg and a DB Trace, the return key actually segments the statement
in two..)

I've played with this a bit, and we can either flip the field to a
'text' type or strip the data prior to saving... I've also replaced the
"~r" and "~n" with Char(13) and Char(10), which successfully saves through..

Here's my question though.. What changed in PB to initiate this sudden
failure? Is it tighter error validation or difference in interpreting
the ~ characters?

Anyone?

TIA

P.
0
PBoud

Found culprit...

Table trigger was looking for char(13)char(10).. PB 10 doesn't send
char(13) On a return key, so Trigger was burping..

:)
P.

PBoud wrote:
> Hi All
>
> PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000
>
>     We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input...
> included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers
> preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB
> 8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to
> PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started
> blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value
> in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the
> error msg and a DB Trace, the return key actually segments the statement
> in two..)
>
> I've played with this a bit, and we can either flip the field to a
> 'text' type or strip the data prior to saving... I've also replaced the
> "~r" and "~n" with Char(13) and Char(10), which successfully saves
> through..
>
> Here's my question though.. What changed in PB to initiate this sudden
> failure? Is it tighter error validation or difference in interpreting
> the ~ characters?
>
> Anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> P.
0
PBoud

datawindow field and carriage return
Hello group, I have a datawindow field and resized that in a way that if someone types and reaches the right most edge then he has space to go to the next line (in the field). I have coded the keydown event in order to catch when enter is pressed in order to go to the next line so I feed it with ~r~n in order to go to the next line. It creates the new line indeed and moves the cursor there but it also adds a 0. Has anyone seen something like that? If not does anyone has another way to do what I described without any problems? Regards Dimitris Katristinos I have coded...

Return charater causes DW update error and PB crash (re-post from the pb.general group)
Hi All PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000 We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input... included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB 8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the error msg and a DB Trace, the return key...

No spaces in field causes PB crash
In all datawindow character fields, when entering a value with no spaces, such as: dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd, and save to the database, the PB application crashes. I'm not sure if this is a datawindow bug or with Oracle. Any ideas? You'll have to soppy more details: pb version, Oracle version, type of connection (sqlnet or odbc) <Joelle> wrote in message news:437269be.2448.1681692777@sybase.com... > In all datawindow character fields, when entering a value > with no spaces, such as: dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd, > and save to the database, ...

Datawindow Open Causes Powerbuilder Crash
When trying to open an existing datawindow or create a new one, Powerbuilder crashes. I am using Powerbuilder 7.0.3. It worked fine yesterday, but this morning, no matter what datawindow I try to open, Powerbuilder crashes. I tried regenerating and rebuilding, and tried opening datawindows in several different pbls, but no luck. Any thoughts? PS I also uninstalled and re-installed 7.0.2 and the 7.0.3 upgrade. Thanks, Larry Delete the registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\7.0\Layout\Default] PB will rebuild it. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) ...

PowerBuilder 6.5 datawindow causes crash
I need help figuring out how to fix a datawindow that keeps crashing. This is in Power Builder version 6.5.1 retrieving data from a SQL database using a stored procedure. The datawindow has the detail hidden and several summary fields in the headers, main, group 2, and group 1. I have found that if I don't hide the detail records the datawindow doesn't cause a crash. I have applied the maintenance patch for this version. If my rusty memory serves, build 1299 of 6.5.1 was quite stable. Can you be specific about the symptoms of the crash? By "hide" do you mean se...

PB 10.5 crashing when opening datawindows
Hi All, Is anyone having issues with PowerBuilder 10.5 (build 4523) crashing when trying to open datawindows in the IDE? I have both an Oracle 8 and an Oracle 9 client on my machine, and am wondering if that might be the problem, but that's just a longshot guess. Any ideas? TIA Do you have any error message before PB crash? Have you tried to regenerate the datawindow? Do you have any error at this moment? Does it happen with every datawindow or only with some of them? Does it happen in every machine where you have PB? Ricci "cocon" <coloradoco...

PB 10.5 crashes when opening datawindows
Hi All, Is anyone having issues with PowerBuilder 10.5 (build 4523) crashing when trying to open datawindows in the IDE? I have both an Oracle 8 and an Oracle 9 client on my machine, and am wondering if that might be the problem, but that's just a longshot guess. Any ideas? TIA No. But often those crashes are caused by a corrupt registry key. Delete the entry for DataWindow from the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\10.5\Layout\Default PB will rebuild it automatically. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase....

pb10 and CC 7 causing pb 10 to crash
when we try to connect to Clearcase source control powerbuilder crashes. the reason is clearcase wants the workspace at the target level. we currently have 16 targets making this inconvenient. clearcase LT allowed one workspace for all 16 of our targets. we want to create one workspace. any help would be appreciated. using pb 10.5 and Clearcase 7.1 Can you be more specific about the "crash"? Is there an error of any kind? There shouldn't be an issue with managing multiple targets within a single source-controlled workspace. The SCC properties are managed at t...

Changing datawindow control properties causes PB to crash
Hi, I have a composite datawindow (dw_report), it includes 3 nested reports (dw_all, dw_day and dw_night). I am trying to change the width of a rectangle control (r_1) in dw_all. I can get the value of the current width by: test = dw_report.Object.dw_all.Object.r_1.Width so I know I am accessing the control correctly. But when I try to set the width to a new value, PB crashes: dw_report.Object.dw_all.Object.r_1.Width = '20' I've also tried dw_report.Object.dw_all.Object.r_1.Width = 20 I'm using PB 10.2.1 Build 9004. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. ...

Datawindow open causes powerbuilder crash in windows 2000
When trying to open an existing datawindow or create a new one, Powerbuilder crashes. I am using Powerbuilder 7.0.2. build 8025 It worked fine yesterday, but this morning, no matter what datawindow I try to open, Powerbuilder crashes. I got this message : L'instruction � 0x77fca2bf emploie l'adresse m�moire 0xcc5d8754. La m�moire ne peut �tre "written". I tried regenerating and rebuilding, and tried opening datawindows in several different pbls, but no luck. Any thoughts? Delete the registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\7.0\Layo...

PB 10.5.1 Crashing on datawindow sharedata
I just migrated an application from PB10.0 to PB10.5.1. No changes were made to the code during this migration and we had no issues with the PB10.0 compile yet when running the application compiled from 10.5.1 the application crashes without even providing an error message. There are 2 datawindows on the window. The window open event does a retrieve on the first datawindow and then issues a sharedata for the 2nd. It seems to be crashing on the sharedata command. If I comment this out then the app runs with no problems...but I have on data in the 2nd window. This has been wor...

PB 8
We have just tried to migrate to PB 8. We have a window that uses one of two datawindows depending on the paramenter passed in. Both datawindows appear to work when we do a retrieve in the datawindow painter. We're having trouble with one of the datawindows. We have a couple of things happen. 1) When we assign the one datawindow as the default datawindow and then try to open the window in PB, it causes one of two things to happen. Either it just sits there and does nothing or PB 8 crashes. We found that if we exported the window and changed the default datawindow to...

Insert OLE control cause PB 9 / 10 to crash
Since I installed an ocx on my system (CodeJock Software OCX available at www.codejock.com) Powerbuilder could not allow me to go in the insert control (OLE) tab anymore. I cause an immediate crash even before displaying the list of available controls. I had tp unregister manually these nice controls to be able to enter the insert control tab again. What could cause that crash ? Is there any other solution to use a visual control without going through the "Insert OLE control tab" ? Much regards, Guillaume Either the registration is failing or the OCX contr...

Open/edit datawindows causes PB 11.2 to crash
Hello, I installed an application developed by a co-developer (including Powerbuilder runtime) on my development machine. Now everytime I try to create a datawindow or open an existing datawindow, the IDE crashes. Windows, application objects all opening fine. Any thoughts? Uninstalling PB runtime and application doesn't fix the problem. Applying latest PB 11.2 patches does not fix problem either. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks, WGA Try: http://www.techno-kitten.com/PowerBuilder_Help/Troubleshooting/Abnormal_Termination/abnormal_...

Web resources about - Carriage return in field causes PB 10 to Crash.. - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Carriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A carriage is a wheeled vehicle for people, usually horse-drawn; litters (palanquins) and sedan chairs are excluded, since they are wheelless ...

Carriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A carriage is a wheeled vehicle for people, usually horse-drawn; litters (palanquins) and sedan chairs are excluded, since they are wheelless ...

Train Chartering - private First Class carriage from London - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Train Chartering organises private carriages on scheduled train services throughout Europe, inclduing the UK. This is a First Class carriage ...

Amish Kids Racing with Carriages - YouTube
... Watch Queue TV Queue Remove all Disconnect Loading... Watch Queue TV Queue __count__/__total__ Find out why Close Amish Kids Racing with Carriages ...

Calls for ban after horse pulling carriage of six bolts in CBD
A spooked horse pulling a carriage&nbsp;has bolted across tram tracks on St Kilda Road, throwing its driver from his seat.

Historic rail carriages destroyed in fire at the Newport rail yards
Two historic rail carriages were destroyed when a suspicious fire ripped through a shed at the Newport rail yards in Melbourne's inner-west early ...

Sydney Metro Northwest: Transport minister unveils life-size model of Metropolis carriage - DailyTelegraph ...
THIS is the first glimpse of Sydney’s new single-deck driverless trains that are set to run on the city’s new Metro network from 2019.

Catwalk in carriages: Fashion launch on Perth train
IT’S not a typical runway where you’d expect to find the latest fashions.

Catwalk in carriages: Fashion launch on Perth train - PerthNow Search Search
IT’S not a typical runway where you’d expect to find the latest fashions.

Swiss train carriage plunges into ravine
A landslide has derailed a passenger train in Switzerland sending one carriage plunging into a ravine.