Can a dataobject be assigned to a nested report dynamically?

I can access the nested report through getchild ok but would like to
change the dataobject specifically based on what the user has requested.

Is this possible? Conventional syntax does not apply... ie
<child>.dataobject = "xxx"

and modify doesn't seem to offer it when perusing the dw syntax tool options

thanks

using 10.5.2
0
300ZX

That gets done by modifying the report on the main DW:
<DW Control Name>.Modify("<Reportname>.DataObject='<dataobject name>' ")

Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
Product Enhancement Requests:

On 1/4/2011 11:48 AM, 300ZX wrote:
> I can access the nested report through getchild ok but would like to
> change the dataobject specifically based on what the user has requested.
>
> Is this possible? Conventional syntax does not apply... ie
> <child>.dataobject = "xxx"
>
> and modify doesn't seem to offer it when perusing the dw syntax tool
> options
>
> thanks
>
> using 10.5.2
0
Jerry
1/4/2011 6:30:14 PM
I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the <reportname> so will
give that a go...thanks

On 04/01/11 1:30 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> That gets done by modifying the report on the main DW:
> <DW Control Name>.Modify("<Reportname>.DataObject='<dataobject name>' ")
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/4/2011 11:48 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>> I can access the nested report through getchild ok but would like to
>> change the dataobject specifically based on what the user has requested.
>>
>> Is this possible? Conventional syntax does not apply... ie
>> <child>.dataobject = "xxx"
>>
>> and modify doesn't seem to offer it when perusing the dw syntax tool
>> options
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> using 10.5.2

0
300ZX
1/4/2011 8:55:06 PM
that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am
using exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it
works fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to
set the trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax
variations to do so thus far but to no avail

this is what I have...

datawindowchild dwc_original
rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
ls_return =
dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)

rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
messagebox("rc is", rc)

what would be the correct syntax?

thanks

On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the <reportname> so will
> give that a go...thanks
>

> On 04/01/11 1:30 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> That gets done by modifying the report on the main DW:
>> <DW Control Name>.Modify("<Reportname>.DataObject='<dataobject name>' ")
>>
>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> On 1/4/2011 11:48 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> I can access the nested report through getchild ok but would like to
>>> change the dataobject specifically based on what the user has requested.
>>>
>>> Is this possible? Conventional syntax does not apply... ie
>>> <child>.dataobject = "xxx"
>>>
>>> and modify doesn't seem to offer it when perusing the dw syntax tool
>>> options
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> using 10.5.2

0
300ZX
1/4/2011 9:37:30 PM
ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")

Huh? SetTransObject can be used on a DWC but not as an argument to
Modify. Betcha ls_return contains something ugly.

dwc_original.settransobject(SQLCA) is more like it.

On 1/4/2011 4:37 PM, 300ZX wrote:
> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am
> using exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it
> works fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to
> set the trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax
> variations to do so thus far but to no avail
>
> this is what I have...
>
> datawindowchild dwc_original
> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
> ls_return =
> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
> ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>
> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>

> what would be the correct syntax?
>
> thanks
>

> On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the <reportname> so will
>> give that a go...thanks
>>

>> On 04/01/11 1:30 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>>> That gets done by modifying the report on the main DW:
>>> <DW Control Name>.Modify("<Reportname>.DataObject='<dataobject name>' ")
>>>
>>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
Jerry
1/5/2011 4:18:33 AM
Well like I said I was trying many variations on the syntax out of
desperation because there is no clear example within the help or the
syntax generator. What adds to the confusion is some of the variations I
concocted do not throw errors such as these two examples:

ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.transobject='SQLCA'")
ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.settransobject(SQLCA)")

The only indicator I get that they failed is because the subsequent
sharedata call fails

dwc_original.setransobject(SQLCA) was the first thing I tried and that
returns -1 so that is why I thought I would have to go the modify route

On 04/01/11 11:18 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>
> Huh? SetTransObject can be used on a DWC but not as an argument to
> Modify. Betcha ls_return contains something ugly.
>
> dwc_original.settransobject(SQLCA) is more like it.
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/4/2011 4:37 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
>> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am
>> using exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it
>> works fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to
>> set the trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax
>> variations to do so thus far but to no avail
>>
>> this is what I have...
>>
>> datawindowchild dwc_original
>> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>>
>> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
>> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>>

>> what would be the correct syntax?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the <reportname> so will
>>> give that a go...thanks

0
300ZX
1/5/2011 5:44:14 AM
NPFW Modify can work that way.
Normally when a dataobject is changed SetTransObject will be required as
well.
What did GetChild return?

On 1/5/2011 12:44 AM, 300ZX wrote:
> Well like I said I was trying many variations on the syntax out of
> desperation because there is no clear example within the help or the
> syntax generator. What adds to the confusion is some of the variations I
> concocted do not throw errors such as these two examples:
>
> ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.transobject='SQLCA'")
> ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.settransobject(SQLCA)")
>
> The only indicator I get that they failed is because the subsequent
> sharedata call fails
>

> dwc_original.setransobject(SQLCA) was the first thing I tried and that
> returns -1 so that is why I thought I would have to go the modify route
>

> On 04/01/11 11:18 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>>
>> Huh? SetTransObject can be used on a DWC but not as an argument to
>> Modify. Betcha ls_return contains something ugly.
>>
>> dwc_original.settransobject(SQLCA) is more like it.
>>
>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> On 1/4/2011 4:37 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
>>> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am
>>> using exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it
>>> works fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to
>>> set the trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax
>>> variations to do so thus far but to no avail
>>>
>>> this is what I have...
>>>
>>> datawindowchild dwc_original
>>> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
>>> ls_return =
>>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
>>> ls_return =
>>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>>> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>>>
>>> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
>>> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>>>

>>> what would be the correct syntax?
>>>
>>> thanks

0
Jerry
1/5/2011 6:19:55 AM
Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a look at
the "rc" value after that.
Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the Modify().

"300ZX" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:4d23931a$1@forums-1-dub...
> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am using
> exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it works
> fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to set the
> trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax variations to
> do so thus far but to no avail
>
> this is what I have...
>
> datawindowchild dwc_original
> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
> ls_return =
> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
> ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>
> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>

> what would be the correct syntax?
>
> thanks
>

> On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the <reportname> so will
>> give that a go...thanks
>>

>> On 04/01/11 1:30 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>>> That gets done by modifying the report on the main DW:
>>> <DW Control Name>.Modify("<Reportname>.DataObject='<dataobject name>' ")
>>>
>>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
Ivaylo
1/5/2011 9:46:52 AM
And alternatively to the Modify statement you also have the dot notation:

dw_summary_report.Object.dw_original.DataObject = 'd_hazmat_add_entry'

"Ivaylo Ivanov" <n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> wrote in message
> Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a look at
> the "rc" value after that.
> Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the Modify().
>
> "300ZX" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:4d23931a$1@forums-1-dub...
>> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
>> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am
>> using exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it
>> works fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to
>> set the trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax
>> variations to do so thus far but to no avail
>>
>> this is what I have...
>>
>> datawindowchild dwc_original
>> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>>
>> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
>> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>>

>> what would be the correct syntax?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the <reportname> so will
>>> give that a go...thanks

0
Ivaylo
1/5/2011 9:53:58 AM
just curious what does NPFW stand for? is that a typo because nothing
found on google

On 05/01/11 1:19 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> NPFW Modify can work that way.
> Normally when a dataobject is changed SetTransObject will be required as
> well.
> What did GetChild return?
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/5/2011 12:44 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>> Well like I said I was trying many variations on the syntax out of
>> desperation because there is no clear example within the help or the
>> syntax generator. What adds to the confusion is some of the variations I
>> concocted do not throw errors such as these two examples:
>>
>> ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.transobject='SQLCA'")
>> ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.settransobject(SQLCA)")
>>
>> The only indicator I get that they failed is because the subsequent
>> sharedata call fails
>>

>> dwc_original.setransobject(SQLCA) was the first thing I tried and that
>> returns -1 so that is why I thought I would have to go the modify route
>>

>> On 04/01/11 11:18 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>>> ls_return =
>>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>>>
>>> Huh? SetTransObject can be used on a DWC but not as an argument to
>>> Modify. Betcha ls_return contains something ugly.
>>>
>>> dwc_original.settransobject(SQLCA) is more like it.
>>>
>>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
300ZX
1/5/2011 2:04:07 PM
Good point, will let you know what I discover

On 05/01/11 4:46 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
> Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a look at
> the "rc" value after that.
> Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the Modify().
>
> "300ZX"<xx@xx>  wrote in message news:4d23931a$1@forums-1-dub...
>> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
>> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am using
>> exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it works
>> fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to set the
>> trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax variations to
>> do so thus far but to no avail
>>
>> this is what I have...
>>
>> datawindowchild dwc_original
>> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
>> ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>>
>> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
>> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>>

>> what would be the correct syntax?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the<reportname>  so will
>>> give that a go...thanks

0
300ZX
1/5/2011 2:06:30 PM
woot woot, back in business.

getchild must be called after the dataobect is altered.....which makes
sense now that I think about it. I guess I had my head buried too deep
in the syntax mud

BTW dot notation and modify work equally well when changing the dataobject

Thanks to you and Jerry for all your help

On 05/01/11 4:46 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
> Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a look at
> the "rc" value after that.
> Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the Modify().
>
> "300ZX"<xx@xx>  wrote in message news:4d23931a$1@forums-1-dub...
>> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
>> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am using
>> exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it works
>> fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to set the
>> trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax variations to
>> do so thus far but to no avail
>>
>> this is what I have...
>>
>> datawindowchild dwc_original
>> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
>> ls_return =
>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
>> ls_return = dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>>
>> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
>> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>>

>> what would be the correct syntax?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> On 04/01/11 3:55 PM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> I had tried that on a whim but didn't include the<reportname>  so will
>>> give that a go...thanks

0
300ZX
1/5/2011 2:22:09 PM
;-) No Possible Freaking Way

On 1/5/2011 9:04 AM, 300ZX wrote:
> just curious what does NPFW stand for? is that a typo because nothing
> found on google
>
> On 05/01/11 1:19 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> NPFW Modify can work that way.
>> Normally when a dataobject is changed SetTransObject will be required as
>> well.
>> What did GetChild return?
>>
>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> On 1/5/2011 12:44 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> Well like I said I was trying many variations on the syntax out of
>>> desperation because there is no clear example within the help or the
>>> syntax generator. What adds to the confusion is some of the variations I
>>> concocted do not throw errors such as these two examples:
>>>
>>> ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.transobject='SQLCA'")
>>> ls_return = dwc_original.Modify("dw_original.settransobject(SQLCA)")
>>>
>>> The only indicator I get that they failed is because the subsequent
>>> sharedata call fails
>>>

>>> dwc_original.setransobject(SQLCA) was the first thing I tried and that
>>> returns -1 so that is why I thought I would have to go the modify route

0
Jerry
1/5/2011 4:57:22 PM
I don't recommend dot notation for single values. It generates lots of
overhead behind the scenes even though it looks like a simple assignment
statement, and fails hard at run-time.
Use functions whenever possible and always check the return code.
Finagle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law was an optimist!

On 1/5/2011 4:53 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
> And alternatively to the Modify statement you also have the dot notation:
>
> dw_summary_report.Object.dw_original.DataObject = 'd_hazmat_add_entry'
>

> "Ivaylo Ivanov"<n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com>  wrote in message
>> Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a look at
>> the "rc" value after that.
>> Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the Modify().
>>
>> "300ZX"<xx@xx>  wrote in message news:4d23931a$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> that works great but leads to another problem. I am trying to run
>>> sharedata against that new dwo but it keeps failing even though I am
>>> using exact dwo's. If I manually set the dwo to 'd_hazmat_add_entry' it
>>> works fine which leads me to believe the block might be that I need to
>>> set the trans object after modifying the dwo. I've tried many syntax
>>> variations to do so thus far but to no avail
>>>
>>> this is what I have...
>>>
>>> datawindowchild dwc_original
>>> rc = dw_summary_report.getchild("dw_original", dwc_original)
>>> ls_return =
>>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.DataObject='d_hazmat_add_entry'")
>>> ls_return =
>>> dw_summary_report.Modify("dw_original.settransobject='SQLCA'")
>>> messagebox("ls_return is", ls_return)
>>>
>>> rc = dw_original_form.sharedata(dwc_original)
>>> messagebox("rc is", rc)
>>>

>>> what would be the correct syntax?
>>>
>>> thanks

0
Jerry
1/5/2011 5:03:44 PM
I agree, sticking with the modify....also FYI setransobject is not
required to perform the sharedata

On 05/01/11 12:03 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> I don't recommend dot notation for single values. It generates lots of
> overhead behind the scenes even though it looks like a simple assignment
> statement, and fails hard at run-time.
> Use functions whenever possible and always check the return code.
> Finagle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law was an optimist!
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/5/2011 4:53 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
>> And alternatively to the Modify statement you also have the dot notation:
>>
>> dw_summary_report.Object.dw_original.DataObject = 'd_hazmat_add_entry'
>>

>> "Ivaylo Ivanov"<n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> wrote in message
>>> Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a
>>> look at
>>> the "rc" value after that.
>>> Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the
>>> Modify().

0
300ZX
1/5/2011 5:35:36 PM
must be your own<g>......thanks again for your help on this

On 05/01/11 11:57 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> ;-) No Possible Freaking Way
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/5/2011 9:04 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>> just curious what does NPFW stand for? is that a typo because nothing
>> found on google
>>
>> On 05/01/11 1:19 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>>> NPFW Modify can work that way.
>>> Normally when a dataobject is changed SetTransObject will be required as
>>> well.
>>> What did GetChild return?
>>>
>>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
300ZX
1/5/2011 5:45:34 PM
That's correct - Retrieve() [and many other functions] gets passed back
to the primary DW.

On 1/5/2011 12:35 PM, 300ZX wrote:
> I agree, sticking with the modify....also FYI setransobject is not
> required to perform the sharedata
>
> On 05/01/11 12:03 PM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> I don't recommend dot notation for single values. It generates lots of
>> overhead behind the scenes even though it looks like a simple assignment
>> statement, and fails hard at run-time.
>> Use functions whenever possible and always check the return code.
>> Finagle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law was an optimist!
>>
>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> On 1/5/2011 4:53 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
>>> And alternatively to the Modify statement you also have the dot
>>> notation:
>>>
>>> dw_summary_report.Object.dw_original.DataObject = 'd_hazmat_add_entry'
>>>

>>> "Ivaylo Ivanov"<n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> wrote in message

0
Jerry
1/5/2011 6:18:41 PM
Yeah, I don't like it too, but I'd imagine GetChild failing with nested
reports containing nested reports (aka second-level GetChild). You can only
call it to get first-level children of the report.

"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I don't recommend dot notation for single values. It generates lots of
>overhead behind the scenes even though it looks like a simple assignment
>statement, and fails hard at run-time.
> Use functions whenever possible and always check the return code. Finagle
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law was an optimist!
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/5/2011 4:53 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
>> And alternatively to the Modify statement you also have the dot notation:
>>
>> dw_summary_report.Object.dw_original.DataObject = 'd_hazmat_add_entry'
>>

>> "Ivaylo Ivanov"<n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com>  wrote in message
>>> Try to call the GetChild AFTER the Modify statement. Also, take a look
>>> at
>>> the "rc" value after that.
>>> Maybe the reference to the report is being invalidated with the
>>> Modify().

0
Ivaylo
1/5/2011 8:48:27 PM
I agree - dot notation is sometimes the only available method. GetChild
is a method of DataWindowChild, but of course does not work on nested
reports. Pity, nested reports can be a very useful tool.

On 1/5/2011 3:48 PM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
> Yeah, I don't like it too, but I'd imagine GetChild failing with nested
> reports containing nested reports (aka second-level GetChild). You can only
> call it to get first-level children of the report.
>
> "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]"<jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo.com>  wrote in message
>> I don't recommend dot notation for single values. It generates lots of
>> overhead behind the scenes even though it looks like a simple assignment
>> statement, and fails hard at run-time.
>> Use functions whenever possible and always check the return code. Finagle
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law was an optimist!
>>
>> Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> On 1/5/2011 4:53 AM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
>>> And alternatively to the Modify statement you also have the dot notation:
>>>
>>> dw_summary_report.Object.dw_original.DataObject = 'd_hazmat_add_entry'
>>>

>>> "Ivaylo Ivanov"<n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com>   wrote in message

0
Jerry
1/5/2011 9:14:05 PM
There are some additional restrictions with DataWindowChilds like
GetFullState/SetFullState being not available for them as well. ;-)

>I agree - dot notation is sometimes the only available method. GetChild is
>a method of DataWindowChild, but of course does not work on nested reports.
>Pity, nested reports can be a very useful tool.
>
> Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/5/2011 3:48 PM, Ivaylo Ivanov wrote:
>> Yeah, I don't like it too, but I'd imagine GetChild failing with nested
>> reports containing nested reports (aka second-level GetChild). You can
>> only
>> call it to get first-level children of the report.
>>
>> "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]"<jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo.com>  wrote in message
>>> I don't recommend dot notation for single values. It generates lots of
>>> overhead behind the scenes even though it looks like a simple assignment
>>> statement, and fails hard at run-time.
>>> Use functions whenever possible and always check the return code.
>>> Finagle
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law was an optimist!
>>>
>>> Report Bugs to Sybase:  http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
Ivaylo
1/5/2011 9:28:45 PM
On 6/01/2011 3:57 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> ;-) No Possible Freaking Way

I worked it out but my word for "F" was a little more rude :)

> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/5/2011 9:04 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>> just curious what does NPFW stand for? is that a typo because nothing
>> found on google
>>
>> On 05/01/11 1:19 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>>> NPFW Modify can work that way.
>>> Normally when a dataobject is changed SetTransObject will be required as
>>> well.
>>> What did GetChild return?
>>>
>>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
Adam
1/10/2011 1:58:31 AM
You were correct  - the newsgroup server has a very puritanical spam
filter and I was forced to bowdlerize.

On 1/9/2011 8:58 PM, Adam Simmonds wrote:
> On 6/01/2011 3:57 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> ;-) No Possible Freaking Way
>
> I worked it out but my word for "F" was a little more rude :)
>

>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> On 1/5/2011 9:04 AM, 300ZX wrote:
>>> just curious what does NPFW stand for? is that a typo because nothing
>>> found on google

0
Jerry
1/10/2011 6:27:43 PM
On 11/01/2011 5:27 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
> You were correct - the newsgroup server has a very puritanical spam
> filter and I was forced to bowdlerize.

I like to use NFWIH, I am sure you can work it out :)

> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> Product Enhancement Requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> On 1/9/2011 8:58 PM, Adam Simmonds wrote:
>> On 6/01/2011 3:57 AM, Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase] wrote:
>>> ;-) No Possible Freaking Way
>>
>> I worked it out but my word for "F" was a little more rude :)
>>

>>> Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>>> Product Enhancement Requests:
>>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

0
Adam

Datawindow Retrieve returning -1 after dynamically assigning Datawindow's dataobject
We are experiencing the same issues here, except that we are not using MODIFY() to change the SQL but we are setting the datawindow's dataobject to a new datawindow, retrieving and getting a return code of -1 We are running PB 10.5.1 Build 6537 We are using OLEDB drivers and we are connecting MS SQL 2008 Our Code choose case is_parm[1] case 'C' ls_dw = "d_r_confirmation" ........ ..... end choose idw_temp.DataObject = ls_dw idw_temp.SetTransObject(SQLCA) ll_row = idw_temp.Retrieve(ll_transno) The post below sounds very similar to wh...

Changing dynamically dataobject in nested reports
Hi Well as the subject states I want to be able to change the dataobject in a nested report. Well that isnt a problem with getchild function. NOW my problem is that I want to change it to a datawindow I fetched from a PBL file (Or from Createsyntaxfromsql function). In other words I have a syntax, not a name of a datawindow object. I have no clue if this even is possible, advise is most appriciated. My problem is as follows. We have several standard reports in our application. We want to open up theese reports to be editable through Infomaker. I need then to load the altered obj...

Can you access fields in a nested reports in a DataWindow?
I have a DataWindow with a nested report in the detail band. This report has a totals column in it. I was wondering if there was some way, without using another nested report, to give a Grand Total at the end of the report based on the values in the nested report. Off the top of my head, it seems you should be able to script this. That is, you can access the values in the nested report, sum them, and then insert them into a computed column on the parent datawindow. You also may be able to included a computed column on the parent datawindow that does the calculation for you. ...

How can I get the reference of nested report in datawindow?
I will like to insert or modify data in nested report. I am using pb65. thanks. simon Simon, Reference the DataWindow's GetChild() function in the on-line help. HTH Mark DeRosa CPD simon wrote in message ... >I will like to insert or modify data in nested report. >I am using pb65. > >thanks. > >simon > > GetChild() can only get reference to dddw or to a report in a composite dw. it can't get reference to nested report. simon Use the dot notation. e.g. dw_1.Object.nt_cutomer.Object.Data = dw_customer.Object.D...

Can I using PSR-file as the dataobject for a nest-report?
I have a nest-report , I want to using a PSR-file as the dataobject for a DatawindowChild, but it is unsuccessful. Why? ...

REPORTS
Hi all my question is if I can dinamically insert nested reports into an existing report if i have a report with the nested report d_nr1 and i have to use this depending on a retrieval argument once or more times... (up to 5 times)... do i have to build 5 different reports and then use report 1 if I have 1 retrieval argument and report 2 if I have 2 RA..?? or can I "insert" nested reports? ...

nested reports in nested report
Hi, I have a report with a nested dw in a nested dw. I would like to change som properties of both datawindows/reports (width and moving som columns - it's a grid report) But how do I reference the nested report. I cant use GetChild (fails as it is not a Composite). I have managed to get the to the first report and change the width of i with the syntax dwobject dwo_1 dwo_1 = dw_report.Object.dw_1 dwo_1.width = 3000 But trying to get to the next level this fails, i.e. i tried dwobject dwo_2 dwo_2 = dwo_1.Object.dw_2 // fails at runtime Does anyone have a sugg...

Re-assigning DataObjects in Nested reports crashes PB when closing window
Hey guys i wonder if you can help me. I am manipulating nested reports in a Datawindow using the dot notation along with an instance dwobject variable (reference to report via "dwobject_instancevar=dw_host.Object.nested_report"). Everything works fine untill i re-assign the nested report DataObject e.g "dw_instancevar.DataObject='d_somedatawindow'".. i continue to reassign this DataObject and everything works... then i close the window. PB crashes..... Am i doing something wrong here?? I need a reference to the nested report. GetChild does not help me u...

Reference a datawindow object (nested report) in a datawindow
Is it possible to reference a datawindow object in a datawindow? My scenario : I have a datawindow (composite) which holds another datawindow (nested report). This child datawindow has a OLE ActiveX object which I am trying to access from the window which holds the composite datawindow. The reason for this is because I need to access the ActiveX properties/functions after the composite datawindow have been retrieved. I've tried to get a reference to the child datawindow : //DataWindowChild dwc_activex dw1.getchild("dw_activex", dwc_activex) But as datawi...

Re: Nested Datawindow Report (Datawindow Printing)
Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected in PB 8 or 9? Please advise. I am currently using PB 7. Problem: In case of large text fields, PowerBuilder not printing the Data correctly. Lines are cut in half and also not printing last few lines . This is happening on nested datawindow. Here is the link to the original documentation: http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=10938800 Original documentation :-) states that this is not a bug but expected behaviour, so what kind of "correction" do you expect? pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-)) Philip ...

Problem Created Nested Report Object On Report DataWindow
Hi All I'm using PB703 Build 10213. I face a problem creating a Sub-Report Object on an existing Report Data window. When ever I try to do this the system crushes. I also tried to copy an existing sub-report object from another datawindow. In this case the system does not crush, but all columns on the main datawindow, having a ddlb edit style, loose the ddlb information. (Even if you define them again, when you close & reopen the datawindwo, they are gone)! Any help appreciated Thanks In Advance Stelios ...

Nested datawindow within a nested datawindow
I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines. Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000) shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method) ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of virtual memory. (About 99% of those ...

Nested Report (is a row in a nested report)
I want to find out if there is a row in a nested report. I tried the following statements: dwobject ldw_report any la_data[] ldw_report=tabctrl.tp3.dw_preview.Object.dw_1[1] la_data=ldw_report.Object.Data // this statement fails, if there is no row if UpperBound(la_data) > 0 then ... How about: DataWindowChild ldwc tabctrl.tp3.dw_preview.GetChild('dw_1', ldwc) IF ldwc.RowCount() > 0 THEN ..... Brad Dirk wrote: > I want to find out if there is a row in a nested report. > > I tried the following statements: > > dwobject ldw_r...

Nested report inside nested report
Has any one tried to put and populate a nested report inside already existing nested report? Yes, What problems are you having? Just retreive the main report and the nested - nested report will retrieve. > Has any one tried to put and populate a nested report > inside already existing nested report? ...

Web resources about - Can a dataobject be assigned to a nested report dynamically? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

iPhone 5 A6 chip to dynamically up-clock up to 1.3GHz (and downclock too)?
Interesting video from our friends at TLDToday: If this is not just a Geekbench app glitch, it could indicate why that A6 processor is so 2X ...

iPhone 5 Lightning port dynamically reassigns pins
... of Apple's Lightning USB cable shows that the pins on the plug aren't arranged symmetrically, suggesting that the Lightning port can dynamically ...