Using RPCFUNC when calling Oracle Procedures/Functions in Oracle PACKAGES

I have looked at the documentation that I have, and found that RPCFUNC is
the recommended option to call remote stored procedures. Does this,
however, also work with Oracle packages (functions and procedures within an
Oracle package)?

I have done the following:

1. Created a user object (uo_transaction) inherited from transaction and
had the following on its Decalre Local External Functions:

FUNCTION string get_ins_address_zid(string address_type_zid, string
address_line1, string address_line2, string address_line3, string brgy_zid)
RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "MAPI_CENTRAL.TBPKG__ADDRESS.GET_INS_ADDRESS_ZID"

Note that MAPI_CENTRAL is the schema name (owner), while TBPKG__ADDRESS is
the name of the package, and GET_INS_ADDERSS_ZID is the name of the
function within the TBPKG__ADRESS package.

This function is supposed to insert a row into the table ADDRESS and return
the row's ID number generated from an Oracle sequence.

2. On the application object, I then defined the variable uo_transaction
for SQLCA in the Variables tab.

3. From within a script in PowerBuilder, I then call the function like
this:

ls_address_zid = sqlca.get_ins_address_zid(ls_address_type_zid,
ls_address_line1, ls_address_line2, ls_address_line3, ls_brgy_zid)

When I debug and look at the vlaues of sqlca after executing the above line
of code, no error was generated by Oracle. At the same time, it also did
not insert into the table ADDRESS even after commit.

When executing the function from PL/SQL, it does insert into the table
ADDRESS.

Calling other Oracle functions using the same method also returns nothing,
even though executing the same function from within PL/SQL works fine.

Has anyone used RPCFUNC with an Oracle package function? Did I missing
anything?

Thanks,

John Salvo

0
Jesus

We do it all the time. What version of Oracle / Sqlnet are you using? BTW,
be sure that you have allocated enough memory for the OUT parameters. PB
does not allocated automatically space for these.

HTH
--
- Met vriendelijke groet,

  Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alingejj

Jesus M. Salvo, Jr. <motivate@mnl.sequel.net> wrote in article
<01bcdec7$ad80f860$355c11cf@motivate.sequel.net>...

> I have looked at the documentation that I have, and found that RPCFUNC is
> the recommended option to call remote stored procedures. Does this,
> however, also work with Oracle packages (functions and procedures within
an
> Oracle package)?
>
> I have done the following:
>
> 1. Created a user object (uo_transaction) inherited from transaction and
> had the following on its Decalre Local External Functions:
>
> FUNCTION string get_ins_address_zid(string address_type_zid, string
> address_line1, string address_line2, string address_line3, string
brgy_zid)
> RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "MAPI_CENTRAL.TBPKG__ADDRESS.GET_INS_ADDRESS_ZID"
>

> Note that MAPI_CENTRAL is the schema name (owner), while TBPKG__ADDRESS
is
> the name of the package, and GET_INS_ADDERSS_ZID is the name of the
> function within the TBPKG__ADRESS package.
>
> This function is supposed to insert a row into the table ADDRESS and
return
> the row's ID number generated from an Oracle sequence.
>

> 2. On the application object, I then defined the variable uo_transaction
> for SQLCA in the Variables tab.
>
> 3. From within a script in PowerBuilder, I then call the function like
> this:
>
> ls_address_zid = sqlca.get_ins_address_zid(ls_address_type_zid,
> ls_address_line1, ls_address_line2, ls_address_line3, ls_brgy_zid)
>

> When I debug and look at the vlaues of sqlca after executing the above
line
> of code, no error was generated by Oracle. At the same time, it also did
> not insert into the table ADDRESS even after commit.
>
> When executing the function from PL/SQL, it does insert into the table
> ADDRESS.
>
> Calling other Oracle functions using the same method also returns
nothing,
> even though executing the same function from within PL/SQL works fine.
>

> Has anyone used RPCFUNC with an Oracle package function? Did I missing
> anything?
>
> Thanks,
>

> John Salvo

0
Eric

Web resources about - Using RPCFUNC when calling Oracle Procedures/Functions in Oracle PACKAGES - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Procedure is more a snap than a snip

&#8203;When Chanelle O'Hare went searching online for a deal on potential cosmetic procedures, she could not have imagined that what she ended ...

Old Lady Lawyer: Uncivil Procedure

TSA Updates Screening Procedure, Will Mandate Some Passengers Use Full-Body Scanners
... Imaging Technologies, or AIT, in favor of full-body pat-downs by TSA agents. Under the new mandate, not everyone can opt for the pat-down procedure. ...

Why Are Web Login Security Procedures So #$*&!% Dumb And Obnoxious?
The geeks who design our websites talk a lot about user friendliness, but they often let an exaggerated security concerns get in the way of commonsense. ...