Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...

	I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the
question of "Death
by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is
related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type
"char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and
execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both
return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher
details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC,
SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above

ANY HELP IS SINCERELY APPRECIATED...

MY EARLIER NOTES:
	Just a quick note on the update of fields declared as type "char" in
Powerbuilder. We recently obtained a "patch" from Powersoft to fix the
"TSEQUAL" problems in PB 6.0. ( TSEQUAL functionality did not work since PB
never retrieved fields declared as type and name "TIMESTAMP". The 2 updated
DLL's may be our problem, since we did not really catch the "Update" or
"Insert" problem until after we applied the TSEQUAL fix. The 2 DLL's in
question are PBVM60.dll -> 12/09/97 4:07AM AND PBDWE60.dll of the same date
and timestamp. Our problem here is very repeatable. Create a small table
with a primary key and some data field of type char in SQLAnywhere. Then�
in PB execute an embedded SQL statement such as Update Table_Name Set
This_Field = :HostVariable Where Key_Field = :AnotherHostVariable Using
SQLCA; Make sure that one of the host variables is declared like this �
char HostVariable � in PB. Note that this is PB 6.0. When I check the
SQLCA.SQLCode just after the above transaction, it is always 0 (NO ERROR).
SQLCA.DbErrCode is also 0. When I then inspect the table via ISQL (or
something else) the data did NOT change. When looking at the ODBC dump
here's an example:

pb60            e2:bd	ENTER SQLAllocStmt
		HDBC                0x004b1840
		HSTMT *             0x0012e694

pb60            e2:bd	EXIT  SQLAllocStmt  with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
		HDBC                0x004b1840
		HSTMT *             0x0012e694 ( 0x004a6a80)

pb60            e2:bd	ENTER SQLExecDirect
		HSTMT               0x004a6a80
		UCHAR *             0x0a5307b8 [      -3] "update Qa_Sample_History Set
User_Code =32 , Result =3.10000 , Cust_Result =3.10000 Where Facility ='Wa'
And Warehouse ='Wa' And Test_Type =20 And Machine ='3R�' And Julian =6317
And Set_Number =20 And Cut =3 And Position =1 And Subgroup_No =1 "
		SDWORD                    -3
pb60            e2:bd	ENTER SQLAllocStmt
		HDBC                0x004b1840
		HSTMT *             0x0012e694

pb60            e2:bd	EXIT  SQLAllocStmt  with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
		HDBC                0x004b1840
		HSTMT *             0x0012e694 ( 0x004a6a80)

pb60            e2:bd	ENTER SQLExecDirect
		HSTMT               0x004a6a80
		UCHAR *             0x0a5307b8 [      -3] "update Qa_Sample_History Set
User_Code =32 , Result =3.10000 , Cust_Result =3.10000 Where Facility ='Wa'
And Warehouse ='Wa' And Test_Type =20 And Machine ='3R�' And Julian =6317
And Set_Number =20 And Cut =3 And Position =1 And Subgroup_No =1 "
		SDWORD                    -3

pb60            e2:bd	EXIT  SQLExecDirect  with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)

		NOTE THE FIELD "Machine" above! It was declared as type "char" in PB.
What are the screwy characters after it. The Update did not take place
because NO Machine value was equal to that combo of characters, BUT ALSO
NOTE THAT THE SQL RETURN CODE WAS SUCCESS�

0
Randy

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

ODBC connection to remote SQLANYWHERE database
We have an application that connects to a SQLANYWHERE database on a remote server. When we used an older version of ODBC (version 3.0.28.22 ?) we could connect to the database. When we upgraded ODBC (3.50.36.9 because of a different project) we found that we could no longer connect to the database. It prompts you to log in to the sql and won't connect to the already running database. We are using powerbuilder 5.0.0.4 and SQLANYWHERE 5.5.02. The database is running and the only difference is the ODBC. Does anyone know the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

powerbuilder update fails to return error in mysql
Hi Friends this is all about powebuilder i am using powerbuilder 7 and mysql the issue is i created an before update trigger on a table where in i raised error if a column status = 'A'. If i update table using sql update it raised error and transaction fails. But with my powerbuilder application my datawindow get updated it cannot trace the sql_error. update() didnt return any thing and rows_affected return valid rows it updated the table. Even though there is an error in trigger. Funny part is the after update triggers or any other dependent trigger also fails Stra...

Update in PB Fails, but SQLA returns SQLSUCCESS...
I recently dropped a reply to some of you here in the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below ANY HELP IS SINCERELY APPRECIATED... MY EARLIER NOTES: Just a quick note on the updat...

PowerBuilder 11 Install
I use Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) to ensure software on my computer is up-to-date. After installing PowerBuilder 11 and its corresponding database, SQL Anywhere 10, Secunia PSI reports that the Java installed with Sql Anywhere 10 is insecure and suggests updating it to SE Environment 6 Update 5. When I attempt to do this, during the install process, I get a Java warning, "lib\charsets.jar: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." After this, Java Setup fails and is rolled back. Curious...

Connection ODBC to a ASE 6, updated from SQLAnywhere 5
Hello everyone I have an application written with Power++ 2.0 which accesses a DataBase Source. Up to now this has been by ODBC to a SQLAnywhere 5.0 database. The database has been updated to Adaptive Anywhere Server 6, I installed the ODBC V6 driver on the machine with my client Power++ application and it has stopped working. ( isql with the same data source works OK). I get errors of the type SQL extendedFetch returns SQL_ERROR State 08S01 Native Code -85 : Communication Link failure, communication error What could have gone wrong? Does any one have any ideas please ? ...

Failed to update database because the database is read-only
hi i am currently testing my website on IIS7, and first error is that: Server Error in '/' Application. Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read...

Failed to update database because the database is read-only.
 HelloI have just installed IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 (second time)I have a website witch worked perfectly, but now when i am trying to execute an sql command i get the folowing errorFailed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only. Linha 185:Linha 186: conn.Open();Linha 187: reader = comm.ExecuteReader();Linha 188: reader.Close();Linha 189: comm.Connection.Close(); What is wrong? ho...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Insert update Fails on the server on SqlAnywhere Version 12.0
Hi, SqlAnywhere Version 12.0 i am having issues with the upload insert and upload update environment we have three servers SVRMLRELAY - relay server SVRMOBILINK - Mobilink server and it also has the Consolidated database SVRDEV2 - Application Database server when is try to sync all my download scripts work on initial and subsequent synch but when i update or insert records to the remote database then the sync is failing i have SVRDEV2 as a linked server in the SVRMOBILINK. Note: using same scripts i was successfully sync in SqlAnywhere 11.0. please refer to the below e...

Visual Basic->ODBC->SQLAnywhere(PB Edition)
What is required for an application to go against a SQL Anywhere database, PowerBuilder edition, when I am using ODBC? Is the PowerBuilder edition different from the standalone edition? My application is written in Visual Basic. There is no difference between what is installed with Powerbuilde and the licensed version that you can purchase on its own. Be aware that there is also a runtime version that is unlimited and royalty free that comes with PB (and you can also purchase a runtime license for $99 and it's unlimited). The runtime version has less functionality: no transacti...

sqlanywhere and powerbuilder
hello!! when i try to connect to database sqlanywhere using ODBC, i get an error message: "Catalog tables could not be create and are not available for use" i put all rights to user dba. what i do? i wanna see all tables all data thanks... -- Cornelio Royer Gerente General WIN SOFT CORP., S.A. telefono: 317-0134 celular: 674-1218 When you connect for the first time, you need to connect with user id of SYS or SYSTEM, well I don't remember exactly which one. Anyway, it's a db default id that allows the PB catalog tables to be created and th...

SqlAnywhere ODBC
My current version of WOD50T.DLL (ODBC driver for Win NT) is 5.05.02.1495. Is there a later version and if so where can I download it? Thanks in advance... Phillip McNeill The current version is 5.5.05. To download, go to downloads.sybase.com. You will need to sign up for a Sybase web account which can be done from that page. The ODBC DLL is only part of the required files so make sure that you install the product and not just copy that one file. /ck <Phillip_McNeill> wrote in message news:C1B4F7C79FAC0706000B165B85256A7C.000B166C85256A7C@webforums... > My cur...

SqlAnywhere 9.0 Connection Failed ODBC via network TCP/IP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4aab6840 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I am currently developing a web using ASP.NET with the requirement to connect to a SqlAnywhere 9.0 database server via network, not LOCAL pc.The problem is i have write a simple test program in .NET, it work in Local pc but when i wish to connect to the other database server locate in other pc in the network, the connection could not establish. I have attached the print screen that i am using the ODBC connection, wh...

Web resources about - Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success... - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere