Unable to connect to database server: Unable to start database engine

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this.  However, here goes.

I am using PB 7.0
I set up my database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator configuration
for Adaptive Server Anywhere (System DSN).
Then I created my profile.  I tested the connection and it worked fine.

Then I went to Jaguar Manager, created the Connection Cache using the
database I just setup.  I setup everything currectly including using the
odbc32.dll (Driver Tab)

I got this error when I pinged it:

(error is taken from my aguar's srv.log file)

May 24 10:06:32 2001: cm__odbc_error: SQLError: -80, SQLState: 08001,
[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to
database server: Unable to start database engine.

Any help??
0
Sodana

Can you start DB from ODBC (first TAB has a Test Connection). From what you are
writting, I'm pretty
sure the problem lies in the ODBC configuration itself, rather then Jaguar.

Maciek.

Sodana wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this.  However, here goes.
>
> I am using PB 7.0
> I set up my database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator configuration
> for Adaptive Server Anywhere (System DSN).
> Then I created my profile.  I tested the connection and it worked fine.
>
> Then I went to Jaguar Manager, created the Connection Cache using the
> database I just setup.  I setup everything currectly including using the
> odbc32.dll (Driver Tab)
>
> I got this error when I pinged it:
>
> (error is taken from my aguar's srv.log file)
>
> May 24 10:06:32 2001: cm__odbc_error: SQLError: -80, SQLState: 08001,
> [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to
> database server: Unable to start database engine.
>
> Any help??

0
Maciej

Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running
I get this error on one of my clients, although the DB server is, in fact, running. If I go to ODBC, and "TEST CONNECTION" it says OK, and all begins to work within a minute or so again. Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Are there client settings, or server settings, which can eliminate this annoying problem? Our entire website stops working as it's completely db driven, until the error clears itself up... RUNNING ASA 6.0.3030 RT Can you post the parameters you filled in...

-934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database C:\FUELTAX\DATABASE\PCFTAX.DB
Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the following error -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database. Does anyone know what might have happened. It was working fine for months and all of the sudden we are getting this error now. Thanks, Igor Vodo. This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version than the database file format. Something has changed in your environment. Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for example ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If s...

Unable to start Database Engine when Creating new Database
Have just installed SQL anywhere on Netware 4. Am trying to create a new database from my NT machine with Sybase Central. At the point of creating the database it says "Database not created" - "Unable to start Database Engine". I have connected to the sample database so it doesn't seem to be a network problem. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received by this beginner! Thanks Thomasina You cannot create a database using the multiuser engine on Netware. Create the database on your local machine with the standalone engine and then move...

Unable to start database (ASA8-Create Database)
I'm working with ASA6,ASA7,ASA8 in the same PC. No problem while new DB creation with ASA 6 and 7 in Sybase Central. I'm getting "unable to start database" error message at the end of ASA8 Sybase Central create db wizard. I installed EBF 2285 for ASA 8.0.0 and it doesn't worked. (I'm working with the dbinit on the command promt for now.My OS=Win 2000 Proffessional) Oguz OZAN Consultant Sybase Turkey ozan@sybase.com.tr ...

��SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 Evaluation
Recently, I downloaded Sybase SQl Anywhere Studio 8.0 for Windows 2000 and Windows CE. I am trying to put together a demo for a potential client, demonstrating the solid infrastructure provided by the Sybase products. I have determined that they indeed integrate quite well. I wish to move off of the evaluation copy after its expiration date. However, I am troubled by one technical problem whch I need to resolve before making the investment and proceeding with serious development. It is the following: 1 - I wish to demonstrate to the client how even the Visual Basic developers on thei...

Unable to connect to the database server
Hey everybody,  I have just installed Microsoft ASP.net Web Matrix and the MSDE database.  When installing MSDE I entered the following text at the command prompt:  setup SAPWD=password SECURITYMODE=SQLwhere password is my personal password.  However, when I ask for a new connection on the data tab, I get the error message:  Unable to connect to the database serverSQL Server does not exist or access denied.  Connectionopen (Connect())Can anybody help me to resolve this.  Thanks in advance for any help received.  ...

Unable to connect to database server
We are running SQLAnywhere Server 5.5.03 Build 1666 on Window NT 4.0 for the last 4 years The server listens to the default port #1498 ( as it has been for the last 4 years). Our database size is 500 MB. This afternoon, all of a sudden the client applications were unable to connect to the database. We couldn't even connect to the database using ISQL or SQLCentral. We restared the NT server (cold-booted) twice, we restarted the client machines but no luck. We thought it might be a general network problem but it was not. PCAnywhere was working fine on the machine and it too liste...

Unable to start database server
I am using Sybase ASA 6.0.3.3028. For each connection profile I must supply a full path to dbeng6 in Start line edit or I get an error: Unable to start database server. How can I avoid this problem? I set paths in registry key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersin\App Paths\dbeng6.exe but to no avail. I expected installation wizard should set everything properly. Thanks for any help Joanna The executables directory needs to be in your path. That would be the ..\Sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0\Win32 folder. Also, on my Win95 machine, it add...

Unable to start database engine
I'm using PB7. I have an Adaptive Server Anywhere database that was converted from Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0. I created the DB profile for this database, using the easdemodb profile as a guide. As far as I can tell, all the settings are correct. I can connect to this database, if Adaptive Server Anywhere is already running. If it is not running however, I get the error message "Unable to start database engine". I looked at the datasource configuration in the ODBC control panel, and the database "Start Line" parameter is exactly the same as the one defined for...

Unable to Connect to Server (databases)
 Hey all,I recently started using databases/tables in my website and it was working perfectly on my local machine, however, when i uploaded it to the web, it now says the following error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) along with a stack trace. I looked into it, and, according to various foru...

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
I'm not sure what this error is referring to. I've built a report and it runs in the IDE in preview mode, however when I try to deploy it, I get this error message.   Thanks. Doug   ...

Unable to start database engine
I am a very new Sybase Central user (5.5.04). I am going through the DB replication tutorial found in chapter 27. As soon as I create the database (hq.db) using the Create Database Utility I get the error messages "Unable to start database engine" and "Database 'C:\TUTORIAL\HQ.DB' not created". Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it? Thanks. Jon Kilayko jkilayko@hydro.mb.ca ...

Unable to Start Database Engine
I am running PB6.0 and have created a SQL ANYWHERE 5 database with one table. When I close PB and start PB again, I am unable to connect to my database. I receive the following error: SQLSTATE=08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable to connect to database server: unable to start database engine. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I've been unable to locate any info on the msg 08001. I appreciate your help. Bob McCrory bmccror@ect.enron.com Hi, Some thoughts: 1. is the sqlanywhere directory in your path (or misspelled) 2. can de server exe be fo...

Web resources about - Unable to connect to database server: Unable to start database engine - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...