System 11 sp_getmessage call in Powerbuilder 5.0

We're having a problem calling sp_getmessage in sybsystemprocs in a
PB5.03 application.

We used sp_addmessage to add message 20000 in the sysusermessages
table.  The PB application pbl is our standard login pbl and we want
it to check for a message using sp_getmessage and, if there is a
message (as opposed to ""), then show the user the message in an OK
Box.  This allows use to communicate with the user base about
maintenance down time etc etc.

We've followed the syntax in PB and keep getting the following
message:

"Can't use the OUTPUT option when passing a constant to a stored
procedure"

The PB code is as follows:

string	ls_msgtxt
integer	li_msgnbr

li_msgnbr = 20000

DECLARE l_getmessage PROCEDURE FOR sp_getmessage
	@msg_nbr = :li_msgnbr,
	@msg_txt = :ls_msgtxt output
USING SQLCA;

EXECUTE l_getmessage;

// Check for success or failure of stored procedure
IF SQLCA.SQLCode = 0 THEN
	/* Stored Procedure executed successfully.  Determine
	the values of the output parameters to the stored
	procedure
*/
	FETCH l_getmessage INTO :ls_msgtxt ;

	// Close the procedure
	CLOSE l_getmessage;
ELSE
	Messagebox("Database Error", SQLCA.SQLErrText)
END IF

IF ( IsNull( ls_msgtxt ) ) OR ( ls_msgtxt = "" ) THEN
	RETURN
END IF

We've succesfully used this syntax with a stored procedure that we
wrote that returns values without any problems.  Is there something
specific about sp_getmessage, or the fact that it is a system stored
procedure?  Do I have to write a wrapper for sp_getmessage and pass
values back and forth?

Any help would be appreciated.

Adam R. Albina
Chief, Software Engineering
United States Military Acadmey
0
2a7571

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:47:14 GMT, 2a7571@exmail.usma.army.mil (Adam R.
Albina) wrote:

>We've followed the syntax in PB and keep getting the following
>message:
>
>"Can't use the OUTPUT option when passing a constant to a stored
>procedure"

Make sure that your transaction object's userid attribute is empty or
null before you connect.

Regards,

steve [TeamPS]
0
katz_s

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

The Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0
All, I am looking for any information you would have on the Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0. We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and workplans. thanks- Brian I would start by searching this ng. Many folks have replied to questions regarding migrations from 8 to 9, 7 to 9, 6 to 9 etc. The notes may not answer all your questions but still should give you some valuable insight HTH Greg <Brian Hauss> wrote in message news:40c09b93.4a25.1681692777@sybase.com... > All, > I am looking for any information y...

11.5 on NT & Powerbuilder 5.0 connection from Win95
I have 11.5 running on NT 4.0 and have the server set for Named Pipes and NLNWSK(Is ths tcp/ip?). From the Win 95 client I CAN connect using SYBASE CENTRAL but can't connect from PB 5.0.3. I would like to connect using the native drivers but ODBC would also be ok. Any ideas where I could look for an answer???? Thanks, Allan On Fri, 05 Dec 1997 20:54:25 -0600, Allan Lindsay <summit@mc.net> wrote: >I have 11.5 running on NT 4.0 and have the server set for Named Pipes >and NLNWSK(Is ths tcp/ip?). >From the Win 95 client I CAN connect using SYBASE CENTR...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

Migration to PowerBuilder 6.5 from Powerbuilder 4.0
Hi all, I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soon. I would like to know if I have to migrate previously to Powerbuilder 5.0, or if it is possible to migrate directly from Powerbuilder 4.0 to 6.5. In the last case I would like to know if I can have any problems during the upgrade process. Thanks in advance... On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:07 +0100, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jorge Salamanca" <jsalamanca@fintec.es> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soo...

Powerbuilder 5.0 against Visual Basic 5.0
Can someone give me some good advise why I sould use Powerbuilder 5.0 instead of Visual Basic 5.0 for making critical applications (With SQL-server 6.5) ?? We are looking forward to build critical applications for around 100 users. Please sent your notes to e-mail: karel.geraerts@alz.be instead of this newsgroup. Many thanks! Mainly because you don't have to put up with all the crap found in the Microsoft newsgroups when you need help. (Ads for pirated software from Hong Kong, etc.) There are a lot of other reasons as well (PB is OO, supports inheritance, yadda yadda yadda)....

update powerbuilder 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5
hi, I need update powerbuilder ver 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5. by the way, my company already buy pb ver 10.00 and need to update to ver 10.5. the question : if update pb from ver 10.00 to ver 10.5, is it free of charge ? if no, How I found the price ? best regards, alim 10.5 is considered a major release, you would need to purchase an upgrade. This is what I found on Sybase's own eshop: http://eshop.sybase.com/eshop/buy_detail?id=92023&prodId=9281&bid=17856 You may find better through an online merchant, partner or local retailer. This is also the Ent...

PowerBuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0.1
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Accessing the PC database using a web-page and PowerBuilder 5.0 front-end and MS Access Database
I am trying to connect my web page, which is the standard HTML Explorier applet to my MS Access Database by way of PowerBuilder 5.0. I would like the steps and PowerBuilder Script to make this work. I was told that this is possible, but I don't know where to start, where to place the needed Script, and how to get the link on the web page to call up Powerbuilder to access the MS Access database. Help! You create a PB user object that has methods that do the access. You deploy that as a distributed PB component and then access it using Web.PB. Read more on distributed PB and...

Oracle 8.0.5 vs Powerbuilder 5.0.04
Hello People. I need Native database driver of PowerBuilder 5.0.04 to Oracle 8.0.5. Somebody know where i find this. There is only a beta OR8 driver. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamPS) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Sergio Augusto wrote in message ... >Hello People. > >I need Native database driver of PowerBuilder 5.0.04 to Oracle 8.0.5. > >Somebody know where i find this. > > > > ...

Powerbuilder 11.5 decimal(0) number
In a crosstab we have set column weeknumber for the rows. The datawindow type of weeknumber is a number. Style type is edit. Value show in PB 10.2 = 200739. Value shown in PB 11.5 = 9,9178243680526E-319 Changing the datawindow type to decimal(0) shows the correct value 200739. Is this a bug or should we change this everywhere in our programm? Thanks Eric ...

Web resources about - System 11 sp_getmessage call in Powerbuilder 5.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.database