SQLAnyWhere Database Server

Actually I sent this inquiry to the sqlanywhere.general newsgroup but I
think that this is also related to this newsgroup.  So, I am sending this
also.  Please excuse me just this once.  Here is my question:
How do you connect, in PowerBuilder, to a SQL AnyWhere database server
without it running as yet?

0
Ben

Use the sample database configuration as an example. Basically, check the
"Automatically start the database if it isn't running". However, this only
will only start an engine on the same machine.

"Ben Lahoy" <blahoy@datavantage.com> wrote in message
> Actually I sent this inquiry to the sqlanywhere.general newsgroup but I
> think that this is also related to this newsgroup.  So, I am sending this
> also.  Please excuse me just this once.  Here is my question:
> How do you connect, in PowerBuilder, to a SQL AnyWhere database server
> without it running as yet?

0
Chris
7/1/2003 8:38:47 PM
I think further explanation would greatly help clarify my dilema:

- comp1 - App is running
- comp2 - the database is running
- comp1 does not have the ODBC connection in the control panel and also it
does not have a client database set up
- comp2 has the ODBC Server connection set up in the control panel
- comp2 server is actually down or not running
- comp1 needs to connect to comp2 server (not running) and delete some
records in the server's tables via PowerBuilder

"Ben Lahoy" <blahoy@datavantage.com> wrote in message
> Actually I sent this inquiry to the sqlanywhere.general newsgroup but I
> think that this is also related to this newsgroup.  So, I am sending this
> also.  Please excuse me just this once.  Here is my question:
> How do you connect, in PowerBuilder, to a SQL AnyWhere database server
> without it running as yet?

0
Ben
7/1/2003 8:42:54 PM
The only way this can happen is if your engine is setup to run as a service
and you can then, with the appropriate OS permissions, start and stop
services using NET START/NET STOP. Otherwise, you cannot "remotely" start a
database engine.

/ck

> I think further explanation would greatly help clarify my dilema:
>
> - comp1 - App is running
> - comp2 - the database is running
> - comp1 does not have the ODBC connection in the control panel and also it
> does not have a client database set up
> - comp2 has the ODBC Server connection set up in the control panel
> - comp2 server is actually down or not running
> - comp1 needs to connect to comp2 server (not running) and delete some
> records in the server's tables via PowerBuilder
>

> "Ben Lahoy" <blahoy@datavantage.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I sent this inquiry to the sqlanywhere.general newsgroup but I
> > think that this is also related to this newsgroup.  So, I am sending
this
> > also.  Please excuse me just this once.  Here is my question:
> > How do you connect, in PowerBuilder, to a SQL AnyWhere database server
> > without it running as yet?

0
Chris

Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running
I get this error on one of my clients, although the DB server is, in fact, running. If I go to ODBC, and "TEST CONNECTION" it says OK, and all begins to work within a minute or so again. Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Are there client settings, or server settings, which can eliminate this annoying problem? Our entire website stops working as it's completely db driven, until the error clears itself up... RUNNING ASA 6.0.3030 RT Can you post the parameters you filled in...

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

Server database remote to consolidated database
Dear community, our consolidated database "A" (db not determinated yet) and the database which to be replicated "B" (Oracle) are on different boxes. The Mobilink replication will be done between A and many clients "C". Questions: 1. Is it possible to configure the Mobilink Server to handle this configuration ? 2. If so, does the Mobilink Server pull the data via odbc from the remote database ? 3. If not, would it be possible to use for a replication between A and B the Mobilink Server (the client is A and the server is B) ? This barmy idea b...

Database
Hi, I have described a requirement below. Hope the explanation should be sufficient to offer a solution. Scenario:- -------- Consider an ASE database and an ASIQ database. It is required to compare some of the tables in one of these databases with equivalent tables on the other. Assume that there are lot of voluminous tables containing an average of 20 million records, in both the databases. Requirement:- ----------- It is required to make a fast superficial check which can inform of any inherent differences between the tables in terms of the data store...

how to connect a database server with two databases
Hi, I start a database server (dbsrv6) with two databases(e.g. A and B), but I found that I only connect and query of database A, not B by JDBC . Can ASA support that ???? Thanks Yes, you can connect to any one of the database loaded on a server. Example, if I start the server using dbsrv6 -n myServer A.db B.db C.db Then I can specify which database I want to connect to by using the DBN (databasename) connection parameter, as in dbisql -c "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;eng=myServer;dbn=A" will connect to the A.db database, where as dbisql -c "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;e...

one database server have many database
Hi, I use multiple database for one database server,but I find that cannot switch the database by "executeQuery ("use A");" (A is the database name ). What can I do that, I can connect to the database server, but connect switch for the different database ??? Any help is appreciated ! When you make a connection to an ASA server, you connect to a particular database. You cannot switch databases from within a connection, but a new connection to a different database must be made. To connect to a particular database, specify the Database...

Access Database and SQL Server database
Hi, I have an access database server and a sql server DB. The  Structure of both DB is same . The data is updated or inserted in access DB. I want to update SQL Server DB on a any event say button click. All updated data or new data in access DB should be reflected on SQL Server DB . Can anyone guide on the approach to be attempted. Thanks   Mark this as an answer if you find my it helpful.Thanks,Anubhuti ONe approach would be to use the System.Data.OleDb library and store connection strings for each database in your web.config file.  Each time you need ...

copy database one database to onther database
hii want to copy one database table to onther database table using script?my database is ms-sql server 2000 Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com You can use import/export task and DTS package created automatically by Enterprise manager or just try  select * INTO [newdatabase].dbo.[newTable] from [sourceDatabase].dbo.[sourcetable]  good luckThanksJPazgier no dear i want to this programatticallyiusing c #,source is my database in local machine and target is other computer means server Nothing is really...

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
I'm not sure what this error is referring to. I've built a report and it runs in the IDE in preview mode, however when I try to deploy it, I get this error message.   Thanks. Doug   ...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

Web resources about - SQLAnyWhere Database Server - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere