Return charater causes DW update error and PB crash (re-post from the pb.general group)

Hi All

PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000

     We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input...
included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers
preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB
8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to
PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started
blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value
in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the
error msg and a DB Trace, the return key actually segments the statement
in two..)

I've played with this a bit, and we can either flip the field to a
'text' type or strip the data prior to saving... I've also replaced the
"~r" and "~n" with Char(13) and Char(10), which successfully saves through..

Here's my question though.. What changed in PB to initiate this sudden
failure? Is it tighter error validation or difference in interpreting
the ~ characters?

Anyone?

TIA

Philippe
0
PBoud
6/29/2005 9:07:50 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.database 9855 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Found culprit...

Table trigger was looking for char(13)char(10).. PB 10 doesn't send
char(13) On a return key, so Trigger was burping..

:)
P.

PBoud wrote:
> Hi All
>
> PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000
>
>     We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input...
> included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers
> preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB
> 8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to
> PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started
> blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value
> in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the
> error msg and a DB Trace, the return key actually segments the statement
> in two..)
>
> I've played with this a bit, and we can either flip the field to a
> 'text' type or strip the data prior to saving... I've also replaced the
> "~r" and "~n" with Char(13) and Char(10), which successfully saves
> through..
>
> Here's my question though.. What changed in PB to initiate this sudden
> failure? Is it tighter error validation or difference in interpreting
> the ~ characters?
>
> Anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> Philippe
0
PBoud

Re: Pb 6.0 crashes when clicking in dw with no visible cols like PB 4.0 used to
I am using PB 6.0 with patch 6038532(1).zip. The patch still GPF's with the pbl library (testit.pbl) that was sent to Powersoft. This was to be fixed in patch 6038132.zip (build 381) but unfortunately, the problem still exists. I hope the problem is still evident on Powersoft's side? Thanks Marc marcwhitney@compuserve.com ...

Re: PB 6.0 Crash when clicking in DW w/no visible cols like PB 4.0 used to
In article <350A1EA6.55C8@powersoft.com>, sdupre@powersoft.com says... > >Marc Whitney wrote: >> >> I am using PB 6.0 Enterprise on WIN NT 4.0 SP3 INTEL. A Datawindow that is in >> query/sort mode where we turn the visibility on for a column and then off again >> and then click in the datawindow with no other columns visible closes PB >> Enterprise and closes our app, once deployed. This reminds me of crashes in >> PB4.0 datawindows with no rows! >> >> Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated >> ...

Install PB 10 update without needing to install PB 9 update, then PB 8 update....
We have a bunch of updates to PB. Is there a way we can install PB 10 without needing to install all the previous versions of PB? If all you have is an update version, then you'll need to have some previous version of PB installed. On 4 Mar 2005 05:54:11 -0800, "Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel_N.0.S.P.A.M_at_InFrontSoftware_D0T_C0M> wrote: >We have a bunch of updates to PB. Is there a way we can install PB 10 >without needing to install all the previous versions of PB? > > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Vote for D...

PB app crashes on dw update
Hi, I have a strange problem with a PB 10.5.2 app which crashes under certain circumstances when dw_1.update() is called. I've done a lot of tracing and found some of the Oracle client DLL involved in the crash. So the customer gave this to Oracle support which did a lot of special traces and came to the conclusion it might be an ERP coding issue. At the end of their answer they write: "We really need an OCI testcase for it. Can you involve Power Builder Support on it asking for an OCI testcase can you then provide us the Name , email and the international phone numbe...

dw.update returns database error = -3
Hi friends, can you help me with my problem? I tried to create a dw to set different price level for different item. but cannot update the dw. I created a datawindow with the following sql syntax: SELECT "itempricelevel"."iplevelid", "itempricelevel"."plevelid", "itempricelevel"."itemid", "itempricelevel"."customprice", "item"."itemprice", "item"."boughtprice", "item"."itemnm&q...

PB v9b6111
Error in the PB v9 build 6111 that didn't happen in build 5507. When you have a datawindow with a sub-report that then has its own subreport, and all are set to auto-size height... The nested subreport simply grows wacky and sizes too large and overlaps the subreport that it is inside of. We discovered that if we take the one pbdwe90 dll from the 5507 build and only place that one dll in when I'm using all b6111 dll's as my dll set, then it fixes the problem. So the error occurs within that one dll. Is it safe to do this? Of course I'd rather have an EBF beyond 6111 th...

PB 6.5.1 crash on dw.update()
Hello all! PB 6.5.1 ASA 6.0.3.2747 W2K I have an urgent problem with one of my datastores. I retrieve data from approx. 6 joined tables. After creation with syntaxfromsql() I set the following: ids_auftraege.Object.Datawindow.Table.UpdateTable = "t_auftraege" ids_auftraege.Object.DataWindow.Table.UpdateKeyinPlace= "Yes" ids_auftraege.Object.voucher.update = "Yes" ids_auftraege.Object.zahlart.update = "Yes" ids_auftraege.Object.agenturnr.update = "Yes" ids_auftraege.Object.kdnr.u...

Carriage return in field causes PB 10 to Crash..
Hi All PB 10.0.1, MSSQLServer 2000 We've got a field (defined as Char) that takes standard input... included in this is the odd carriage return (though we've got triggers preventing saving of said bad character).. When this was running with PB 8, the save went through without issue... As soon as app was migrated to PB 10 (no change in back end with migration to 10), the save started blowing up (cannot insert NULL error, even though we can see the value in the insert/update statement... only weird part is that in both the error msg and a DB Trace, the return key act...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

Return code of DW update with stored procedure in PB 7
I have a datawindow with stored procedure for UPDATE, DELETE & INSERT. After I issue dw.update( ) method, I want to check whether it is success or not. However, the return value is alway 1. 1. Is it the same way in checking the return value for datawindow with / without stored procedure ? 2. Is there any other way to check whether the execution of stored procedure is Ok or not ? What driver are you using? We had a similar problem with OLEDB. -- Simon Caldwell Get Real Systems Ltd Holtby Manor, Stamford Bridge Road, York, YO19 5LL Tel 01904 481999 Fax 01904 4816...

Group Update Datawindow by PB NVO Compoent Sometimes Error
When I Group Update Datawindow by PB NVO Compoent,Sometimes, Some of DWs Update to Database SUCCESSful��Some of DWs Update to Database Failed, It'looks Transaction Control is inValid! Here is My Codes: CONSTANT STRING METHOD_NAME="n_datastoreservice.of_updategroup()" long ll_rc long ll_Cnt datastore lds_dsServer[] n_cst_compressionservice lnv_compression blob lblb_Temp[] boolean lb_DataChanged=false n_cst_stringservice lnv_string string ls_DataObjects datastore lds_Empty[] lnv_string=Create n_cst_stringservice lnv_string.of_pars...

Updates to empty db fields cause pb error in exe
We are using jag with pb nvos - during development it runs fine via the runman in pb but with the exe updates to existing records - only when the column being updated was retrieved with no data- cause a pb error and the app shuts down. Nothing is written to the log. New records, adding additional data to already populated columns, deletes of entire records and deletes of column data in existing records all work fine. We are using Oracle 8 with Oracle ODBC (because of the prob with native drivers) We are running Jag 3.5 no ebfs - What trace facilities can we incorporate in...

PB 6.0 Crash when clicking in DW w/no visible cols like PB 4.0 used to.
I am using PB 6.0 Enterprise on WIN NT 4.0 SP3 INTEL. A Datawindow that is in query/sort mode where we turn the visibility on for a column and then off again and then click in the datawindow with no other columns visible closes PB Enterprise and closes our app, once deployed. This reminds me of crashes in PB4.0 datawindows with no rows! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated TIA Marc marcwhitney@compuserve.com Marc Whitney wrote: > > I am using PB 6.0 Enterprise on WIN NT 4.0 SP3 INTEL. A Datawindow that is in > query/sort mode where we turn ...

PB 6.0 timer and clicked event of dw causes crash
I have an application at work (PB 6.0, PFC 6.0, NT 3.51) that extensively uses the PB 6.0 timer in the home screen. We call the timer every 1 second to check a loop to see if a socket service is available (every 30 seconds) and if not resort back to polling our database instead. As a result there is a lot of overhead associated with the timer event. When we do sucessive clicks the clicked event gets called over and over again but then gets pre-empted by the timer event calls. Intermittantly this causes a stack fault in the PB60.exe module and always in the same address. Our app...

Web resources about - Return charater causes DW update error and PB crash (re-post from the pb.general group) - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Archie comics homosexual charater Kevin Keller has first gay kiss
For the first time, there's a gay kiss in the comic book world of 'Archie,' thanks to openly gay character Kevin Keller.

Change Your Fate with Four New Charater Posters for Pixar's 'Brave'
The summer release of Pixar's epic fantasy Brave is just around the corner with hopes of washing away the memory of Cars 2 , which resulted in ...

Flickr Search: disneyside

Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2012-05-28/Recent research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By Jodi.a.schneider , Piotrus , Tbayer and Angelika Adam , 28 May 2012 in sociology journal The Information Society looks at interactions between ...

National Conservation Values Atlas: Interactive Map
... Search Options Zoom To Feature Geographic Search Address Search Layer Key Ecological Features Feature Location Please enter at least 3 charaters ...

What's trending now on Twitter - Twee.co - what's popular on Twitter
Use Twee.co to check out the most popular twitter users and their twitter achievements. Plus follow the top topics and tweets, today and over ...

Resident Evil 6
For the best Previews of Resident Evil 6 for PS3, 360, PC, check out this page on 1UP.com

Quotes & Quizzes Archives - The Vampire Diaries
Vampire Diaries quotes from books, tv series, cast, charaters and more. Get favorite quote lines from The Vampire Diaries.

AlarmMon ( alarm clock ) - AppBrain Android Market
Get the AlarmMon ( alarm clock ) Android app (&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&frac12;, 500,000+ downloads) &rArr; Over 1.5 million+ downloads to ...

Price Drop: Writing
... Automatically save your files.★ Ability to save your files in cloud★ Send your text to anyone via e-mail & txt attachment.★ Smart charater & ...