PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder

PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native
driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is
truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder

 I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000
Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450)
field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but
when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255
chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are
there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve?  Please
help me out if anybody knows the solution

Thanks in advance
0
easytrak
9/14/2005 4:55:14 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.database 9855 articles. 0 followers. Follow

because the native interface (Microsoft's DB-Library) layer has this
limitation.  You need to use ODBC or OLE-DB to work around it.

On 14 Sep 2005 09:55:14 -0700, easytrak wrote:

>PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native
>driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is
>truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
>
> I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000
>Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450)
>field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but
>when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255
>chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are
>there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve?  Please
>help me out if anybody knows the solution
>

>Thanks in advance

0
Jim
9/14/2005 5:25:37 PM
 Note: This is a MS driver restriction ... not one imposed from PB.

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_at_sybase_dot_com> wrote in message
> because the native interface (Microsoft's DB-Library) layer has this
> limitation.  You need to use ODBC or OLE-DB to work around it.
>
> On 14 Sep 2005 09:55:14 -0700, easytrak wrote:
>
> >PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native
> >driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is
> >truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
> >
> > I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000
> >Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450)
> >field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but
> >when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255
> >chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are
> >there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve?  Please
> >help me out if anybody knows the solution
> >

> >Thanks in advance

0
Chris

PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver
Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be related to our production issue. http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397 http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896 Thanks in advance, John johnshi@yahoo.com The first one only affects the development environment, and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build with the old PBDBMS method. What problems are you having? On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote: >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be >related to our production i...

Nativ Connect to MS SQL Server from PowerBuilder
Hi! I would like to know if there is a database interface that provide native connection to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 I use Power Builder Entreprise7.0.3. And if there is one from where do i get it? Thanks OLE DB is now the preferred native interface (replacing MSS). I don't know how reliable it is in the version you are using. You can also use ODBC which should supports features not supported in MSS (var/char columns > 255 characters in length). If you did not already install them, you need to rerun the install program and select them from the appropriate dialog (ii...

PB6.5 connect MS SQL 2005 using native driver (DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0)
Is it possible PB 6.5 using "DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0" to connect MS SQL 2005? The existing application is PB6.5 using "DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0" to connect MS SQL 2000. It is work fine. John Hi John; AFAIK .. it should work. The only restrictions would be 1) PB 6.5 will not understand SS2005 functionality. You will be restricted to the SS 6.0 (as you are today with SS2000) feature set. 2) The MSS setting connects using the NTDBLIB.dll from MS. I do not believe that this is supplied with SS2005. So you will need to install the SS20...

Powerbuilder 9
Hi, I am trying to get connected to Microsoft SQL server 2000 using SSL, through the native driver (MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0). Unfortunately, the code I am supporting is such that I can't change to ODBC or OLEDB easily. Is there a way to set the native driver to communicate using SSL? I tried DBPARM=Encrypt=1 and many other similar combinations, but no luck so far. Thanks, Brian ...

Powerbuilder convert varchar(4000) in MS Sql Server to char(255)?
Hi, In MS SQL server, I have created a table with one of the columns being varchar(4000). But when I tried to new a datawindow based on this table, the column specification of the varchar(4000) type column was converted to char(255). This same problem occurs in Powerbuilder 6.5 and 8 alike. Some connect parameters need to be specified? And how? Thanx. You are using the MSS interface which has not been enhanced since SQL Server 6.5 where char(255) was the maximum. Starting in MS SQL Server 7, OLEDB is the native interface. As an alternative, use TEXT as the datatype. /ck "bisque" <bisque88@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E1416A58C5EC4B6E001057EA85256BDF.001057F785256BDF@webforums... > Hi, > > In MS SQL server, I have created a table with one of the columns being > varchar(4000). But when I tried to new a datawindow based on this table, > the column specification of the varchar(4000) type column was converted to > char(255). > > This same problem occurs in Powerbuilder 6.5 and 8 alike. > > Some connect parameters need to be specified? And how? > > Thanx. Sounds like you're using the native (MSS) driver, which is based on DB-LIB, which Microsoft aren't upgrading beyond SQL6.5 functionality. To use the new SQL7/2000 functionality (eg long varchar columns) you need to connect using ODBC (unreliable IME) or OLEDB (not available with PB6 but works OK with PB8). Or a...

How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4?
Hi: How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4? It seems that the special connection inferface for "MSS Microsoft SQL Server" is canceled in PowerBuilder 10.5. I do not want to via ODBC. Thanks! Wu; No, MSS driver (actually Microsoft's NTDBLIB.dll) was cancelled by Bill Gates in SQLServer v7. It was supported in 2000 - but ANSI only with limited functionality and dropped for SS2000 and 2005 in the Unicode world. So your choices are: ODBC, OLE-DB and ADO.net. There is new SNC driver for PB 11 that is simil...

How do i upgrade PowerBuilder 5.0's native driver for MS SQL Server 6.5?
If you have the 5.0.04 patches, you have the latest stuff that I know of. Tech Support might have something as a private EBF, but you would have to contact them directly to determine that. Are you having a particular problem with the drivers you have now? On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:38:18 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database A-B-C <a-b-c@163.net> wrote: > --- Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS] | Romac/Source International mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com | http://www.romac-sou...

connecting PowerBuilder 10 to MS-SQL Server using OLE DB: Problems with trailing blanks in StringType Data
HI. We work on a project using PowerBuilder 9.0.1 connected to a MS-SQL Server DataBase. Now we want to upgrade to PB 10, and we've realized that we have to use OLE DB to connect to our DataBase. OK, we've made the connection via OLE DB, now we are starting to have some unexpected troubles.. For instance: In datawindows retrieving String Type data, the OLE DB connection give us all the string data without trimming the trailing blank spaces...With PowerBuilder 9 (and its native MSSQL Server interface), the String data would come all trimmed down...i.e.: "HELLO"...

connecting PowerBuilder 10 to MS-SQL Server using OLE DB: Problems with trailing blanks in StringType Data
HI. We work on a project using PowerBuilder 9.0.1 connected to a MS-SQL Server DataBase. Now we want to upgrade to PB 10, and we've realized that we have to use OLE DB to connect to our DataBase. OK, we've made the connection via OLE DB, now we are starting to have some unexpected troubles.. For instance: In datawindows retrieving String Type data, the OLE DB connection give us all the string data without trimming the trailing blank spaces...With PowerBuilder 9 (and its native MSSQL Server interface), the String data would come all trimmed down...i.e.: "HELLO" vs "HELLO " Any clue ? thanx in advance ! Martin read the extensive discussions involving this in the database and connections group. This forum is for futures. <Martin Allocati> wrote in message news:44e49065.6318.1681692777@sybase.com... > HI. > We work on a project using PowerBuilder 9.0.1 connected to a > MS-SQL > Server DataBase. > Now we want to upgrade to PB 10, and we've realized that we > have to use > OLE DB to connect to our DataBase. > OK, we've made the connection via OLE DB, now we are > starting to have > some unexpected troubles.. > For instance: > In datawindows retrieving String Type data, the OLE DB > connection give > us all the string data without trimming the trailing blank > spaces...With PowerBuilder 9 (and its native MSSQL Server > interface), > the St...

Considerations converting powerbuilder connection from the native sql server connection to OLE DB
We have an application which was upgraded from PB8.0.3 to PB9 (original build) . The application formerly used sql servers native connection. The application is now coded to use OLEDB. We are running into minor issues that were not present with the native connection. Example: you have a stored procedure called "sp_test" that has one argument, @dummy. We would normally execute the procedure like this: EXEC sp_test 'test_value' ^ But when using OLE-DB, you have to include the parameter name, like this: EXEC sp_test @dummy='test_value' ^ Now we ...

PowerBuilder Informix connectivity using native driver
Hi All, Please help us if any one using Powerbuilder informix. The problem is when we connect to database using database profile through PowerBuilder every thing on front end appears fine and we can do all the sql's, but on the back end the database session is showing 'not wait' mode and the sql code is -255. What's interesting? Is that every sql executed from powerbuilder is getting new session and all the sessions are going to no wait mode, because of this problem we are running out of sessions on database side. We have a temporary fix by killing the -255 s...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

powerbuilder odbc driver for MS sql server bug
Hello, We are using powerbuilder 5.0 and MS SQL Server 6.5 and using ODBC for connection.We are encountered with no. of problems for different versions of ODBC drivers. all these versions of ODBC drivers have problems with embeded SQL. Listed as 1. One version of ODBC driver execute embeded sql or dw retrieve ( ) function slowly at exection time that of dw retrival in dw painter in the development environment which is about 12 times more faster. 2. Another ODBC driver speed up the embeded sql and dw retrieve () at exection time but the embeded sql containing the lock request becomes ...

Connect using MS SQL Server native driver
Hi, I use Powersoft native driver to connect to MS SQL server6.5. I have SQL server client installed in my PC so I am able to connect to the database in both Powerbuilder development environment and executable. Now I need to deploy my application to the client's PC. The question is WHAT do I need to install in the client PC to run the application?(I already install deployment kit but look like I miss something from SQL Server since I got "can not connect to the database" message) -- Have a nice day! Jon Chen chenj@marsusa.com or chen_jon@hotmail.com >I use Po...

Cannot connect to MS SQL Server using PB Native driver
I am using PowerBuilder 6.5 and my laptop is connected to NT Server 4.0 that has SQL Server 6.5. I also installed the MS SQL Client in my laptop. When I try to connect to database in SQL Server 6.5 in database profiles, after I click on new button I got this error: 'Unable to load the requested Powersoft database interfaces'. Can anyone tell me what files are missing in my laptop in order to connect ? Thanks Harry >I am using PowerBuilder 6.5 and my laptop is connected to NT Server 4.0 that >has SQL Server 6.5. >I also installed the MS SQL Client in my la...

MS SQL SERVER + POWERBUILDER 8.0 + varchar(400)
Hi , i have a very important question. We use PB 8.0 on a MS SQL SErver Database. There is a field in the database with varchar (400) When displaying this field in a datawindow it gets cut off after 255 signs. Please help Josh What version of MS SQL are you using? If you're using MS SQL version > 6.5 then you're probably also using PB native driver for MS SQL 6.5. If I'm not mistaken the the max length of a varchar in MS SQL 6.5 is 255 chars. There is no native driver for MS SQL version >6.5 You'll have to use ODBC or since you're using PB ...

PowerBuilder 11.0 & MS Native Database Driver
Hello, We are migrating to PowerBuilder 11.0 and when trying to run the application from the development environment, I am receiving this error: SQLState 28000, Microsoft SQL Native Client, Invalid authorization certification... I am able to successfully connect from within PowerBuilder 11.0. Is something missing? Thanks, LaChandra... Hello, Here is the .ini file: [DEV] DBMS =SNC SQL Native Client(OLE DB) Database=PDAT_1011 UserID= DatabasePassword = LogId= LogPassword= ServerName =A70TTBDBS16 Lock = TS AutoCommit = False DBParm ="ProviderString='...

Connecting Oracle 8i using Powerbuilder native driver O73
Is there any problem that use Powerbuilder Oracle native driver O73 to connect to Oracle 8i Database with Parallel Server Option? Or is there any native driver for connecting Oracle 8i with Parallel Server Option? Bests, Raymond O73 and O84 driver both work to access 8i. You'll need the O84 driver to be able to use some of the 8.x functionality. I have no experience using Parallel server. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp &...

Connecting to an SQL Server 2000 Database from Powerbuilder 6.5
I have a WINDOWS 2000 SERVER on which the SQL SERVER 2000 (Standard=20 Edition) is running.. From a WINDOWS NT Workstation Client (on the same Network) I' trying from within Powerbuilder to connect to my SQL SERVER 2000 database via ODBC. I created and configured the ODBC driver for this=20 connection as well as the associated Powerbuilder DB-Profile. When then I try to connect (from the Database Profiles popup window) to my database, the sonnection is successfull but when the popup window of Powerbuilder appears (in the Database Painter Window) for selecting the tables of the d...

SQL Server 2000 Native Drivers for Powerbuilder 7.0.3?
Does anyone know if there are native SQL Server 2000 drivers for PowerBuilder 7.0.3? I'd like to avoid ODBC if at all possible. Thanks, Kurt Chitwngman wrote: > Does anyone know if there are native SQL Server 2000 drivers for > PowerBuilder 7.0.3? I'd like to avoid ODBC if at all possible. > Check other posts on this topic. The native drivers are OLE-DB and that's what you should use. The old PB native drivers (MSS) run of the old DBLIB interface which Microsoft did not update after SQL Server 6, so it won't allow you to use any new features (lik...

Connecting to MS Sql server 2000 thru PowerBuilder 5.0
We're connecting to MS Sql server 6.5 from PowerBuilder 5.0 using a Native driver. We want to upgrade to MS Sql server 2000. Does the native driver in PB 5.0 for MS Sql Server 6.5 support MS Sql server 2000 also ?? If not , whether Sybase provide a native driver to connect MS Sql server 2000 from PB 5.0 ?? Thanks & Regards, Ravi. No, neither SQL7 nor SQL2000 is supported from PB5. Some people have got SQL7 to work (don't know about 2000), but mostly it won't, certainly for us it wouldn't. The best thing to do is try it and see whether you get problems w...

PowerBuilder 6.5 EBF MSS Driver for Microsoft SQL Server 7
Here is the latest...... Author: Sybase Staff If you wish to download the zip file containing the the updated PowerBuilder MSS driver in PowerBuilder 6.5 EBF (Emergency But Fix) Builds 540 and later, please visit this URL: ftp://psaftp.sybase.com/pub/private/pbpatch/pb65_weekly/mssnew/mssnew.zip. The zip file contains the following files: Mssnew.doc Pbmss60.dll Pbmss60w.dll readme.txt Please review the Mssnew.doc, which contains a list of the fixes (i.e., QTS Change Requests) that were put into this new driver in addition to other important information. The readme.txt...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

how do you do a select into using powerbuilder 8.0 connecting to sql server 7.0
I have a powerbuilder app that used to connect to a sql anywhere database that is now connecting to sql server. I have found an equivalent to the today(*) function: select substring(convert(char(10), getdate(), 120), 1, 10) The problem with this is that it will not work in a select-into because sub quereies are not allowed. So, what I want to do is a select-into using the above conversion query, store it in a local date variable above but I keep getting a syntax error(I have also tried using a local string variable and I get the same error) . Here is the code that generates the...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles