Powerbuilder and database array fetching / array inserts

What I understand from the documentation, Powerbuilder supports array
fetching when you issue a SELECT query. The size of this "array" can be
changed by setting the DBParm parameter BLOCK (we have an Oracle db)

But what about array inserts? Does Powerbuilder support this if you are
using bindvariables?
I mean, if you have a datawindow (rows with NewModified! status), does the
dw.Update() then produce one Insert command and send all the inserted values
in an array to the database, or (what I suspect) will there be an insert
command (sent over the network) for every row in the dw?
(OK, even if there is one insert SQL for every row in the dw,  the SQL will
only have to be parsed once by Oracle provided that the SQLCache parameter
set to an appropriate value. However, the SQL code itself is sent over the
network once per dw-row ??)

If array inserts not is supported, does anyone know about any plans to
introduce this in Powerbuilder?

Thanks
Martin Kulhanek
Cap Gemini Sweden

0
Martin

No, 'array inserts' are not supported or really feasible given the way that the
datawindow works.  When you do a dw.Update() a separate insert/delete/update
statement is issued for each row in the datawindow that has been modified.
Additionally, PowerBuilder uses optimisitic conncurrency strategies, so each SQL
statement includes WHERE criteria to identify the row in the database to be
updated.

You are right about the use of SQLCache and bind variables, and I would guess
you're right about the SQL being sent one request at a time to the backend.  On
that last point, though, any changes to what would be going on there would be
the responsibility of the lower level client (SQL*Net) protocols, since
PowerBuilder does not deal with the physical movement of data over the network.

Jim O'Neil
Sybase Technical Support
joneil@sybase.com

Martin Kulhanek wrote:

> What I understand from the documentation, Powerbuilder supports array
> fetching when you issue a SELECT query. The size of this "array" can be
> changed by setting the DBParm parameter BLOCK (we have an Oracle db)
>
> But what about array inserts? Does Powerbuilder support this if you are
> using bindvariables?
> I mean, if you have a datawindow (rows with NewModified! status), does the
> dw.Update() then produce one Insert command and send all the inserted values
> in an array to the database, or (what I suspect) will there be an insert
> command (sent over the network) for every row in the dw?
> (OK, even if there is one insert SQL for every row in the dw,  the SQL will
> only have to be parsed once by Oracle provided that the SQLCache parameter
> set to an appropriate value. However, the SQL code itself is sent over the
> network once per dw-row ??)
>
> If array inserts not is supported, does anyone know about any plans to
> introduce this in Powerbuilder?
>
> Thanks
> Martin Kulhanek
> Cap Gemini Sweden

0
Jim
5/27/1998 2:35:36 PM
Thank you Jim :)
Exactly the information I was looking for

/Martin

Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote in message <356C24B8.7E22E6E9@sybase.com>...
>No, 'array inserts' are not supported or really feasible given the way that
the
>datawindow works.  When you do a dw.Update() a separate
insert/delete/update
>statement is issued for each row in the datawindow that has been modified.
>Additionally, PowerBuilder uses optimisitic conncurrency strategies, so
each SQL
>statement includes WHERE criteria to identify the row in the database to be
>updated.
>
>You are right about the use of SQLCache and bind variables, and I would
guess
>you're right about the SQL being sent one request at a time to the backend.
On
>that last point, though, any changes to what would be going on there would
be
>the responsibility of the lower level client (SQL*Net) protocols, since
>PowerBuilder does not deal with the physical movement of data over the
network.

>Jim O'Neil
>Sybase Technical Support
>joneil@sybase.com
>
>Martin Kulhanek wrote:
>
>> What I understand from the documentation, Powerbuilder supports array
>> fetching when you issue a SELECT query. The size of this "array" can be
>> changed by setting the DBParm parameter BLOCK (we have an Oracle db)
>>
>> But what about array inserts? Does Powerbuilder support this if you are
>> using bindvariables?
>> I mean, if you have a datawindow (rows with NewModified! status), does
the
>> dw.Update() then produce one Insert command and send all the inserted
values
>> in an array to the database, or (what I suspect) will there be an insert
>> command (sent over the network) for every row in the dw?
>> (OK, even if there is one insert SQL for every row in the dw,  the SQL
will
>> only have to be parsed once by Oracle provided that the SQLCache
parameter
>> set to an appropriate value. However, the SQL code itself is sent over
the
>> network once per dw-row ??)
>>
>> If array inserts not is supported, does anyone know about any plans to
>> introduce this in Powerbuilder?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Martin Kulhanek
>> Cap Gemini Sweden

0
Martin

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are ...

Insert data into Array from Database
Hi, I get a Table's certain column data and want to insert it into an Array.Below is what I try: SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection( @"Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=""C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\T\App_Data\T.mdf"";Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True");         string sqlQuery = "SELECT ProjectName FROM Projects";         SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sqlQuery, conn);         conn.Open();   ...

How do I insert a byte array into a database?
Hi,I am attempting to pass a byte array into a database to be used with aes encryption.  I understand that the byte array must maintain its values as it is transmitted, otherwise I will not be able to decode it when I want to read values from the database.  I am not sure how to send it to the database though.  Any help would be excellent.  Cheers,Molecules Hi,molecules U can get Ur Help from This Article http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/ImageSaveInDataBase.aspx       PLZ MARK AS ANSWER IF IT HELP U. THANKS.RAGHAV MVP ASP/ASP.Net Read My Blog...

inserting a bit array into a database
Can anyone tell me why this is not working and how to fix it.Protected Sub SqlDataSource1_Inserting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceCommandEventArgs) Handles SqlDataSource1.Inserting Dim CalendarData As New BitArray(100) If CheckBox1.Checked = True Then CalendarData(1) = TrueEnd If  e.Command.Parameters("@CalendarData").Value = CalendarData End Sub When I try to do this I get the following error: No mapping exists from object type System.Collections.BitArray to a known managed provider native type. I can't seem to decla...

Populating a javascript Array from Server Side(Database/Array)
Hello All,I have seen this question very often so I thought I should share how I do it.I follow one of the following approaches as per the requirementApproach 1 (Good Old Classic ASP Approach, looks a little messy but works)ASPX   <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="PopulateJSArray.aspx.cs" Inherits="PopulateJSArray" %><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"...

referring to an array in an array of arrays
How can I get at an array in an array of arrays? I'm creating the arrays using: $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ]; Now I want to get back what I put in: print "$fComments[0]\n"; but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0). How do I follow that pointer? (I really think we need a pre-beginners list... =) TIA. - B You can try something like this: print "@{$fComments[0]}\n"; Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0]. -----Original Message----- From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:Bryan_R_Harris@raytheon.com] Sent: Tue...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

Select in Powerbuilder Database painter WORKS but does NOT in Powerbuilder run mode.
I have enclosed the actual information for a debug run. Will apprecaite any hints. Thanks Jim jimo@jdssc.com in ls_mod_string DataWindow.Table.Select="SELECT DISTINCT ~"inv_dtl~".~"inv_id~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"orig_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"last_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"regular_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"orig_price~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"current_price~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"sugg_price~", ~"inv~".~"vend_id~", ~"inv~".~"style~",...

array of arrays
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array? @array = (@array1, array2); ### unless this is wrong... the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all 25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to be able to read one specific array at a certain position... -- cheers alex mailto:Keex@gmx.de you need to learn about references. read the: perldoc perllol here is the jist though. @all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on to access first array and first element...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder and database array fetching / array inserts - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles