PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver

Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be
related to our production issue.

http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397
http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896

Thanks in advance,

John
johnshi@yahoo.com
0
John

The first one only affects the development environment, and the second
one is only applicable to datawindows build with the old PBDBMS
method.

What problems are you having?

On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote:

>Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be
>related to our production issue.
>
>http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397
>http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>John
>johnshi@yahoo.com

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
10/13/2004 1:06:23 AM
John Shi wrote:
> Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be
> related to our production issue.
>
> http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397
> http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John
> johnshi@yahoo.com
I'd like them too.

jasonvogel @ poboxes dot com

Thanks,
Jason
0
Jason
10/13/2004 2:59:35 PM
Purchase a support contract.

On 13 Oct 2004 07:59:35 -0700, Jason Vogel
<jasonvogel@poboxes_dot_com> wrote:

>John Shi wrote:
>> Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be
>> related to our production issue.
>>
>> http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397
>> http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> John
>> johnshi@yahoo.com
>I'd like them too.
>
>jasonvogel @ poboxes dot com
>
>Thanks,
>Jason

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
10/14/2004 6:12:06 AM
We have a memory issue in our production environment in
PB9.0.1 build 6533 and Oracle 8.0.5 client. The application
is terminated when more users are using the application. We
should, but have not upgraded to Oracle 8.1.7 client and
PB9.0.1 build 7236 or PB 9.0.2. We would like to make sure
if Oracle client 8.0.5 or PB build 6533 could cause this
memory issue, either memory leak or more memory.

Thanks for reply,
John Shi

> The first one only affects the development environment,
> and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build
> with the old PBDBMS method.
>
> What problems are you having?
>
> On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote:
>
> >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be
> >related to our production issue.
> >
> >http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11
> 000397
> >http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11
> 008896 >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >John
> >johnshi@yahoo.com
>
> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> TeamSybase blogs:
> http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs
>
> Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups
>
> Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
> http://www.codexchange.sybase.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. -
> Francis of Assisi http://www.needhim.org

> ----------- DISCLAIMER:
>
> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient.
> Given that it is a posting to a public newsgroup, that
> means if you can read this message then you are the
> recipient.  This message may contain information that is
> confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again
> ,  it may not.
>
> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase,
> the contents  of this message do not necessarily represent
> the views or policies of  Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase
> is a diverse group of users of Sybase products, the
> contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
> views of a significant number of the members of
> TeamSybase.  Given that the author has multiple
> personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent his own
> views.
0
John
10/19/2004 2:49:25 PM
That's still not much information to go on.  Are you saying that the
leak is in the Oracle server?  Is so, what kind of errors are you
getting?

On 19 Oct 2004 07:49:25 -0700, John Shi wrote:

>We have a memory issue in our production environment in
>PB9.0.1 build 6533 and Oracle 8.0.5 client. The application
>is terminated when more users are using the application. We
>should, but have not upgraded to Oracle 8.1.7 client and
>PB9.0.1 build 7236 or PB 9.0.2. We would like to make sure
>if Oracle client 8.0.5 or PB build 6533 could cause this
>memory issue, either memory leak or more memory.
>
>Thanks for reply,
>John Shi
>
>> The first one only affects the development environment,
>> and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build
>> with the old PBDBMS method.
>>
>> What problems are you having?
>>
>> On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote:
>>
>> >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be
>> >related to our production issue.
>> >
>> >http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11
>> 000397
>> >http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11
>> 008896 >
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> >John
>> >johnshi@yahoo.com
>>
>> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>> http://www.teamsybase.com
>>
>> TeamSybase blogs:
>> http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs
>>
>> Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
>> http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups
>>
>> Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
>> http://www.codexchange.sybase.com
>>
>> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. -
>> Francis of Assisi http://www.needhim.org

>> ----------- DISCLAIMER:
>>
>> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient.
>> Given that it is a posting to a public newsgroup, that
>> means if you can read this message then you are the
>> recipient.  This message may contain information that is
>> confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again
>> ,  it may not.
>>
>> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase,
>> the contents  of this message do not necessarily represent
>> the views or policies of  Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase
>> is a diverse group of users of Sybase products, the
>> contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
>> views of a significant number of the members of
>> TeamSybase.  Given that the author has multiple
>> personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
>> of this message do not necessarily represent his own
>> views.

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

NOTE:

If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will
*not* receive a reply.  Messages posted through Google never reach the
Sybase newsgroup server, so we don't see them in order to respond to
them.  You should post your question using a standard newsgroup reader
or the web based newsreaders at my.sybase.com or www.pfcguide.com.
Google is great for searching the Sybase newsgroups, but you can't post
to them from there.

[...]

10/20/2004 5:23:10 AM
I just got more information to share with you. The
application crashes when more users are using the
application. It consumes a lot more memory in PB9 than
PB6.5. This is the table for the comparison of memory usage
                                 PB6.5            PB901
        PB902
Launch Application      14MB             25.2MB
16.8MB
Open Six Windows      56.2MB          84.2MB
60.8MB
Close Six Windows     34.6MB          79.3MB
56.4MB
Exit Application            0MB              0MB
     0MB

I wonder why PB9 does not release memory when a window is
closed and if the Oracle client is an issue. We just
migrated the PFC application from PB6.5 to PB9. It appears
that the memory is used up quickly. Any idea is appreciated.

John Shi

> [...]
> ----------- DISCLAIMER:
>
> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient.
> Given that it is a posting to a public newsgroup, that
> means if you can read this message then you are the
> recipient.  This message may contain information that is
> confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again
> ,  it may not.
>
> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase,
> the contents  of this message do not necessarily represent
> the views or policies of  Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase
> is a diverse group of users of Sybase products, the
> contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
> views of a significant number of the members of
> TeamSybase.  Given that the author has multiple
> personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent his own
0
John
10/20/2004 2:49:06 PM
I would open a case with Sybase support.  The memory manager used by
PowerBuilder changed completely from PB 6 to PB9 and as a result you
may find that some parameters to tune memory usage are needed.
Support can help you diagnose the behavior and apply the optimal
values.

On 20 Oct 2004 07:49:06 -0700, John Shi wrote:

> [...]
>> ----------- DISCLAIMER:
>>
>> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient.
>> Given that it is a posting to a public newsgroup, that
>> means if you can read this message then you are the
>> recipient.  This message may contain information that is
>> confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again
>> ,  it may not.
>>
>> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase,
>> the contents  of this message do not necessarily represent
>> the views or policies of  Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase
>> is a diverse group of users of Sybase products, the
>> contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
>> views of a significant number of the members of
>> TeamSybase.  Given that the author has multiple
>> personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
>> of this message do not necessarily represent his own

0
Jim
10/20/2004 5:41:34 PM
What Jim said.  PB9 has a different memory manager.  And I believe
that it is designed to hold memory for a certain amount of time even
after an object is released for use by other objects the application
may create.  Apparently asking the operating system to assign you some
memory for each object is a fairly expensive operation, so it caches
some of the memory it's already been given.

> [...]

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.

PowerBuilder 9.0.2 native Oracle driver for Oracle 10g database
We are migrating from Oracle 8i to 10g. The PowerBuilder 9.0.2 application is extremely slow using PowerBuilder Oracle 8.4 or 9.0 native driver to connect to Oracle 10g database, We had to use 7.3 driver. After using trace we found that the SQL scripts with index hint cause slow down, but they are working ok using Oracle 8.4 driver with Oracle 8i database. Any suggestion which is best way to connect from PowerBuilder 9.0.2 to Oracle 10g database? We have tried the Oracle 8.1.7 client and Oracle 9.0 client. I found a solved case on Sybase support web site, but we do not have support...

PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000 Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450) field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255 chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve? Please help me out if anybody knows the solution Thanks in advance because the native interface (Micr...

PowerBuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0.1
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Connecting Oracle 8i using Powerbuilder native driver O73
Is there any problem that use Powerbuilder Oracle native driver O73 to connect to Oracle 8i Database with Parallel Server Option? Or is there any native driver for connecting Oracle 8i with Parallel Server Option? Bests, Raymond O73 and O84 driver both work to access 8i. You'll need the O84 driver to be able to use some of the 8.x functionality. I have no experience using Parallel server. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp &...

PowerBuilder 8.0.1 and Oracle O84 database driver
I am experiencing failed datastore retrieves on SQL that has been proven through SQL*Plus and also has been proven using the Oracle ODBC driver through PB. Is any one aware of any known bugs, limitations, or new settings with this O84 driver that could prevent a proven SQL from executing properly? The SQL runs just shy of 6 minutes before it returns the error. This particular SQL is intensive, takes about 6 minutes to complete, and returns around 547 records. Quick queries are successful using the O84 driver. I attempted to switch to the 7.3 native driver, but it is giving me TNS p...

Performance issue with Oracle native driver for Powerbuilder 9.0.3
Why do we have a very long runtime for a "GET NUMBER OF COLUMNS SELECTED" in pbtrace.log? Any explanations? The same code for Powerbuilder 7 works properly, means the "GET NUMBER OF COLUMNS SELECTED" uses about 0 milliseconds. Thanks. e. g. PREPARE WITH BIND VARIABLES: (a5d008): SELECT .................................................. (a5d008): DATETIME Length=0 ID=:1 (a5d008): VCHAR Length=10 ID=:2 *XXXXXXXXXX* (a5d008): INT Length=0 ID=:3 (0.057 MilliSeconds) (a5d008): GET AFFECTED ROWS: (0.004 MilliSeconds) (a5d008): ^ 1 Rows Affected (a5d008): GET ...

Problem connecting to oracle database in powerbuilder 9.0 desktop version
I am not able to connect to oracle database using odbc in powerbuilder 9.0 desktop version.I am getting error message which says 'Inavlid or unsupported datasource' Ershad, Have you verified that you have the required Oracle ODBC drivers? The latest set of drivers is available at: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odbc/index.html\ Could you also please post the attributes of the transaction object (except the password) that you use to try and connect to the oracle db? Sanjiv. <Ershad Ali Mohammad> wrote in message news:41aea458.51d5...

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

Datawindow's Date argument with PowerBuilder 8.0.1 and Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1
Hi, there: Does anybody know how to pass datetime type data from client side to server side in the datawindow? Can anybody recommend a good book about how PowerBuilder deals with Oracle, datawindow, embedded SQL? Thanks in advance. PB DateTime data type corresponds to the Oracle Date type. You can set a DateTime variable using constants, or use the Date function to make a Date from mm, dd, yy and DateTime function to convert it. What are you not finding in the PB help and online books? "sybase.working" <sybase.working@yahoomail.com> wrote in message news:eYB...

I need to connect to powerbuilder 7 to oracle 9 without odbc, through of drivers native ones of net9. Somebody knows like doing it?
Hi : I need to connect to powerbuilder 7 to oracle 9 without odbc, through of drivers native ones of net9. Somebody knows like doing it? I am inexperienced in the subject. find in db profile that they were drivers native of oracle 804 and 805. Drivers native of oracle 9 exists? or definitively I am due to connect to traves of odbc? thank you from chile You can use the O84 Oracle 8.0.4/8.0.5 driver to connect to Oracle 9. -- S.V. Software http://www.svsoftware.da.ru Home of SQL Builder Professional for PowerBuilder Download the Demo Version Now!!! Source code available ...

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

The Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0
All, I am looking for any information you would have on the Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0. We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and workplans. thanks- Brian I would start by searching this ng. Many folks have replied to questions regarding migrations from 8 to 9, 7 to 9, 6 to 9 etc. The notes may not answer all your questions but still should give you some valuable insight HTH Greg <Brian Hauss> wrote in message news:40c09b93.4a25.1681692777@sybase.com... > All, > I am looking for any information y...

Move from Oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.1 on PowerBuilder 8
Please see my question below ------------------------------- From: "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> Subject: Re: Move from Oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.1 on PowerBuilder 8 Date: woensdag 3 november 2004 15:05 This is a good question for the database section. On 3 Nov 2004 04:09:22 -0800, "Frederic Hoornaert" <Frederic.Hoornaert@transics.nospam.com> wrote: >Hello, > >We are currently using PowerBuilder 8.0.1 build 9056 on Oracle 8.1.7 >A customer of ours wants to move to Oracle 9.2.0.1. > >Th...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles