Powerbuilder 5.0/7.0 and MS SQL 7.0 Performance issues

We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app in
PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0.

Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2.  We
successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the
app runs terribly slow!  I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test box
is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram.  We experimented running the app
as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same.  When we
execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no performance
issues.

Is there some kind of issue between PB and MS SQL 7.0?
Has anyone successfully converted to MS SQL 7.0 using a PB app?

thanks,
-- Geoff
g1langos@gte.net or geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com

0
Geoff

Geoff,

I have several PB applications that run aganst a SQL Server 7 database, and
have not noticed any major performance issues.

Are you using the native drivers, or going through ODBC ?

Have you tried tracing the SQL generated by the PB application at runtime,
and checked the performance of that both in the PB database administrator as
well as in MS  Query Analyzer ?

To trace the SQL being generated by your PB app at runtime, add 'Trace '
before the DBMS name in the transaction object when you are connecting.

HTH

Sanjiv Das [TeamSybase]

"Geoff Langos" <geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
> We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app
in
> PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0.
>
> Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2.  We
> successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the
> app runs terribly slow!  I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test
box
> is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram.  We experimented running the app
> as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same.  When we
> execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no performance
> issues.
>
> Is there some kind of issue between PB and MS SQL 7.0?
> Has anyone successfully converted to MS SQL 7.0 using a PB app?
>
> thanks,
> -- Geoff
> g1langos@gte.net or geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com

0
Sanjiv
4/22/2000 10:52:53 PM
I have numerous PB 7 applications running against MSSQL7 SP2.  DB
performance is great, much better than MSSQL 6.5.  About the same as PB
6.5.1

    MSS is much faster than ODBC ( 3X in some cases, also block=n causes
very long hangs on the client waiting on data )

    OLE_DB is only about 20% slower than MSS but has issues with datetime
data type drops time portion and connection (if not using .udl file) takes
an extra 3 seconds.  Also differences in padding and trim of trailing
spaces.

"Sanjiv Das [TeamSybase]" <No-Spam-SDas@CompuServe.Com> wrote in message
> Geoff,
>
> I have several PB applications that run aganst a SQL Server 7 database,
and
> have not noticed any major performance issues.
>
> Are you using the native drivers, or going through ODBC ?
>
> Have you tried tracing the SQL generated by the PB application at runtime,
> and checked the performance of that both in the PB database administrator
as
> well as in MS  Query Analyzer ?
>
> To trace the SQL being generated by your PB app at runtime, add 'Trace '
> before the DBMS name in the transaction object when you are connecting.
>
> HTH
>
> Sanjiv Das [TeamSybase]
>

> "Geoff Langos" <geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
> > We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app
> in
> > PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0.
> >
> > Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2.  We
> > successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now
the
> > app runs terribly slow!  I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test
> box
> > is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram.  We experimented running the
app
> > as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same.  When we
> > execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no performance
> > issues.
> >
> > Is there some kind of issue between PB and MS SQL 7.0?
> > Has anyone successfully converted to MS SQL 7.0 using a PB app?
> >
> > thanks,
> > -- Geoff
> > g1langos@gte.net or geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com

0
Tyler
4/25/2000 3:39:25 AM
I am using SQLOLEDB to connect PB7 to MSSQL7.

When I tried to create SP based dw using sp in Northwind
and pubs. PB7 returned error msg(sth like syntax error).
But it is fine when I used the MSS drive to connect db.
Do you know how to fix this problem.
TIA
"Tyler Cruse" <tcruse@trlx.com> wrote in message
> I have numerous PB 7 applications running against MSSQL7 SP2.  DB
> performance is great, much better than MSSQL 6.5.  About the same as PB
> 6.5.1
>
>     MSS is much faster than ODBC ( 3X in some cases, also block=n causes
> very long hangs on the client waiting on data )
>
>     OLE_DB is only about 20% slower than MSS but has issues with datetime
> data type drops time portion and connection (if not using .udl file) takes
> an extra 3 seconds.  Also differences in padding and trim of trailing
> spaces.
>

> "Sanjiv Das [TeamSybase]" <No-Spam-SDas@CompuServe.Com> wrote in message
> > Geoff,
> >
> > I have several PB applications that run aganst a SQL Server 7 database,
> and
> > have not noticed any major performance issues.
> >
> > Are you using the native drivers, or going through ODBC ?
> >
> > Have you tried tracing the SQL generated by the PB application at
runtime,
> > and checked the performance of that both in the PB database
administrator
> as
> > well as in MS  Query Analyzer ?
> >
> > To trace the SQL being generated by your PB app at runtime, add 'Trace '
> > before the DBMS name in the transaction object when you are connecting.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Sanjiv Das [TeamSybase]
> >

> > "Geoff Langos" <geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com> wrote in message
> > > We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the
app
> > in
> > > PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB
5.0.

> > > Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2.  We
> > > successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now
> the
> > > app runs terribly slow!  I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the
test
> > box
> > > is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram.  We experimented running the
> app
> > > as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same.  When
we
> > > execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no
performance
> > > issues.
> > >
> > > Is there some kind of issue between PB and MS SQL 7.0?
> > > Has anyone successfully converted to MS SQL 7.0 using a PB app?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > -- Geoff
> > > g1langos@gte.net or geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com

0
transdyn
4/26/2000 4:28:12 PM
Dear Geoff,

we have also migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2 with PB 6.5 and
nativ MSS60 Driver. Our application runs Very slow, too! In other words 2 times
slower!

Did you found a solution of this problem?

TIA
Michael Theis
UBITAS GmbH

Geoff Langos schrieb:

> We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app in
> PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0.
>
> Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2.  We
> successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the
> app runs terribly slow!  I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test box
> is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram.  We experimented running the app
> as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same.  When we
> execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no performance
> issues.
>
> Is there some kind of issue between PB and MS SQL 7.0?
> Has anyone successfully converted to MS SQL 7.0 using a PB app?
>
> thanks,
> -- Geoff
> g1langos@gte.net or geoffrey.p.langos@bellatlantic.com

0
Michael

Connect MS-SQL 7.0 in PowerBuilder 7.0
In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? Please post to the powersoft.public.powerbuilder newsgroups This is dedicated to PB issues when used within Jaguar Masun wrote: > In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but > in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? ...

PowerBuilder 7.0 & SQL Server 7.0
Hi: I've develop an application that connect to and MS SQL SERVER 7.0 database via ODBC. When i make the .exe file and run it in Win95 or Windows NT Workstation it works fine, but when i run it in a Win98 client the following error apears. SQLSTATE=22005 - "Invalid character value for cast specification." Any clues about this. The exe was build in PowerBuilder 7.0 over a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Thanks in advance. Jorge, Try adding to the dbparm - CallEscape='No'. Here is an example: SQLCA.DBParm = "Connectstring='DSN=<your ...

PowerBuilder 7.0 & SQL Server 7.0
Hi: I've develop an application that connect to and MS SQL SERVER 7.0 database via ODBC. When i make the .exe file and run it in Win95 or Windows NT Workstation it works fine, but when i run it in a Win98 client the following error apears. SQLSTATE=22005 - "Invalid character value for cast specification." Any clues about this. The exe was build in PowerBuilder 7.0 over a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Thanks in advance. Jorge, Try adding to the dbparm - CallEscape='No'. Here is an example: SQLCA.DBParm = "Connectstring='DSN=<your ...

Downgrade from 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 to 7.0.0
What would be the issues involved, and what steps would be needed to downgrade from either 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 back down to 7.0.0? Am I stuck with offloading the databases to flat files, uninstalling, installing the mandated version, and then re-importing the flat files? Any advice for this Sybase newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks. No issues, easy steps... I often switch between point releases simply by copying/renaming subdirectories of C:\Program Files\Sybase. Each time I install a new upgrade or EBF I make a copy of the subdirectory; on *this* laptop it now looks like ...

Powerbuilder 5.0.4 and migrating to SQL 7.0
We will be migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0. Does this require a recompile of Powerbuilder applications, or just pointing to the new (7.0) database in the .ini file? Any other suggestion and/or hints would be greatly appreciated. PB5 will not work with SQL 7.0. One person has said they got it working fine but the general experience, and Sybase's position, is that you need to upgrade to PB6.5 or 7.0 Simon Dan Wolterink <wolterink@dearborn.com> wrote in message news:IxnyP3#n$GA.299@forums.sybase.com... > We will be migrating from SQL 6.5 to 7.0. Does this require...

PowerBuilder 5.0.04 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
I am having problems with a powerbuilder 5.0.04 application that uses pipeline objects. The only thing that has changed is the destination database has recently been upgraded from Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 to 7.0. We connect via ODBC. After upgrading to 7.0, we get the -4 error code (i.e. Table Not Found). Does anyone know if any new drivers are needed to support Microsoft SQL Server 7.0? Thanks, Victoria I am not sure but there is a 3.70 ODBC Driver from Microsoft. I am not sure the older driver works ok with MS 7.0. pv Victoria Kelsey wrote: > > I am having...

Upgrading 7.0.0 database to 7.0.3
I have a database that was created in 7.0.0. I now use 7.0.3.2079. I'm having trouble upgrading the database. First, contrary to the help file, there was no upgrade utility in Sybase Central. At least, I can't find it. So I opened ISQL and ran the statement, 'alter database upgrade'. This caused the following message to pop up: ISQL Error Line 1, Column 16 Could not execute statement. ASA Error -198: Primary key for row in table 'SYSCAPABILITYNAME' is referenced in another table. The ISQL Messages window contained the following: Creating ...

POWERBUILDER 7.0
I am having problems getting updates to commit through powerbuilder. We have a few layers of stored procedures which make the queries a little long. Have tried MSS, ODBC, OLE DB connections, we've been messing with connection options for weeks, nothing seems to work. ODBC traces show success. This may not help you much; but, we have been using PB 7.0 with MS SQL Server 7.0 for months in a production application and have never had a problem with commits on updates (using native MSS drivers). So, I would look at your own code. Where do you issue the commits? regards ...

PowerBuilder 5.0.3 strange problem with SQL Server 7.0
Hi, I am doing a simple select statment in a PB script, it works fine if I am connected to a SQL Anywhere DB with odbc, but the same code will not work if I am connected to MS SQL Server! The code is something like: int li_total Select count(*) from sfref into :li_total; I will not get an SQL error BUT li_total will not be updated!! Howerver the same code will work fine with SQL Anywere! Any help would be great!! Don't know why it works at all, it's not standard syntax. Maybe something that works in SQL Anywhere. Anyway, it should be: Select count(*...

PowerBuilder 5.0.3 strange problem with SQL Server 7.0
Hi, I am doing a simple select statment in a PB script, it works fine if I am connected to a SQL Anywhere DB with odbc, but the same code will not work if I am connected to MS SQL Server! The code is something like: int li_total Select count(*) from sfref into :li_total; I will not get an SQL error BUT li_total will not be updated!! Howerver the same code will work fine with SQL Anywere! Any help would be great!! Don't know why it works at all, it's not standard syntax. Maybe something that works in SQL Anywhere. Anyway, it should be: Select count(*...

What Does PowerBuilder 7.0.2 Fix From 7.0?
Where would I find a white paper documenting what bugs PowerBuilder 7.0.2 fixes from 7.0? Thanks... Cayce http://download.sybase.com/software/tools/eastudio/35EBF1/pb702_ebf_8011.htm -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developers Network (SDN) - http:///www.sybase.com/sdn "Cayce Cook" <ccook@linnet.ca> wrote in message news:UGpDliNl$GA.298@forums.sybase.com... > Where would I find a white paper documenting what bugs PowerBuilder 7.0.2 > fixes from 7.0? > > > Thanks... > Cayce > > ...

PowerBuilder 5.0.03 & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null...

PowerBuilder 5.0.03 & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null...

PB 5.0.04 on NT 4.0 running MS SQL Server 7.0?
Anyone running PB 5.0.04 on MS SQL 7.0? We're running against MS SQL 6.5 and are considering upgrading to take advantage of some of the new features. Are there new SQL drivers available or required? TIA, pat yuen pyuen@carmafinancial.com 5.0.04 doesn't work with SQL7, you'll need to upgrade to PB 6.5.1 or 7.0 Simon Pat Yuen wrote in message ... >Anyone running PB 5.0.04 on MS SQL 7.0? We're running against MS SQL 6.5 >and are considering upgrading to take advantage of some of the new features. >Are there new SQL drivers available or required?...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder 5.0/7.0 and MS SQL 7.0 Performance issues - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles