PB 7.0 and MS SQLSERVER 6.5 PROBLEMS!

Since migrating to PB 7.0, I've noticed that when I try to establish a
MS SQL connection via the database painter, the DB connection takes
about 2 minutes. This behavior is similar to when I had a named/pipes
connection. I've verified, via the MS client connection manager, that I
am in fact communicating across a TCP/IP connection. I've no problem
connecting (with an identical profile setup) with PB 5 or PB 6.5, just
PB 7.0.  While it's trying to connect to the DB, my client machine is
thrashing the disk and PB70.exe is consuming 70% of the CPU.  I've also
checked my disk for duplicate DLL names but have found none.  Has anyone
else seen This

Regards,

DTL

btw:  an ODBC connection to the MS SQL db takes less than a second to
connect

0
Doug
5/30/1999 10:47:21 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.database 9855 articles. 0 followers. Follow

YES!!  I have seen this and have spent 2 weeks trying to come up with an
answer.  Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine!  Does anyone out there
know how to deal with this???  HELP!!

This is what I posted 5/27, still no responses.
I am migrating from PB6.0 to 7.0 using NT4.0 sp3 and MSSQL6.5 sp4 on my
desktop (HP Vectra 400Mhz/128Mb).  I have tracing on and within DB profile
Connect/Disconnect to PB7.0 is way out of whack!
  PB6.0 Connect time = 1700 ms, Disconnect = 0, Shutdown = 0.
  PB7.0 Connect time = 6400 ms, Disconnect = 49,480 (!!!), Shutdown = 20.

I've downloaded build 6005, insured my path settings are correct & set
DBParm to "xyz" to no avail.

I noticed within Task Manager PB60.exe grows from 1248K to 6040K when
connected to the DB, PB70.exe grows from 1504K to 93,652K.

Why? What else can I try? I have been struggling with this for the past 2
weeks.

Doug Lewis wrote in message <3751BFF6.DEBBE2F2@worldnet.att.net>...
>Since migrating to PB 7.0, I've noticed that when I try to establish a
>MS SQL connection via the database painter, the DB connection takes
>about 2 minutes. This behavior is similar to when I had a named/pipes
>connection. I've verified, via the MS client connection manager, that I
>am in fact communicating across a TCP/IP connection. I've no problem
>connecting (with an identical profile setup) with PB 5 or PB 6.5, just
>PB 7.0.  While it's trying to connect to the DB, my client machine is
>thrashing the disk and PB70.exe is consuming 70% of the CPU.  I've also
>checked my disk for duplicate DLL names but have found none.  Has anyone
>else seen This
>

>Regards,
>

>DTL
>
>btw:  an ODBC connection to the MS SQL db takes less than a second to
>connect

0
Mike
6/1/1999 1:05:48 PM
Check your DNS server with NSLOOKUP to verify that your servers IP address
is being returned correctly and in a reasonable amount of time.  Also,
check LMHOSTS and HOSTS to verify that these contain your "well
known/frequencly accessed" server. I suggest that if you can you allow your
inside DNS to use WINS to resolve IP names also. I personally do not like
using DHCP/BOOTP, but if you do, make sure that your DNS gets information
from you DHCP/BOOTP server about dynamic assigned IP addresses.  From your
description, the problem is in name resolution prior to making the
connection attempt.  You might also check the binding order of your network
cards to see that IP on you LAN card is first on all services.

Doug Lewis <dlewis2@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Since migrating to PB 7.0, I've noticed that when I try to establish a
> MS SQL connection via the database painter, the DB connection takes
> about 2 minutes. This behavior is similar to when I had a named/pipes
> connection. I've verified, via the MS client connection manager, that I
> am in fact communicating across a TCP/IP connection. I've no problem
> connecting (with an identical profile setup) with PB 5 or PB 6.5, just
> PB 7.0.  While it's trying to connect to the DB, my client machine is
> thrashing the disk and PB70.exe is consuming 70% of the CPU.  I've also
> checked my disk for duplicate DLL names but have found none.  Has anyone
> else seen This
>

> Regards,
>

> DTL
>
> btw:  an ODBC connection to the MS SQL db takes less than a second to
> connect

0
Tyler
6/4/1999 1:56:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback, this however is a PB 7.0 issue only.  absolutely
nothing else experiences these problems.

Tyler Cruse wrote:

> Check your DNS server with NSLOOKUP to verify that your servers IP address
> is being returned correctly and in a reasonable amount of time.  Also,
> check LMHOSTS and HOSTS to verify that these contain your "well
> known/frequencly accessed" server. I suggest that if you can you allow your
> inside DNS to use WINS to resolve IP names also. I personally do not like
> using DHCP/BOOTP, but if you do, make sure that your DNS gets information
> from you DHCP/BOOTP server about dynamic assigned IP addresses.  From your
> description, the problem is in name resolution prior to making the
> connection attempt.  You might also check the binding order of your network
> cards to see that IP on you LAN card is first on all services.
>
> Doug Lewis <dlewis2@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Since migrating to PB 7.0, I've noticed that when I try to establish a
> > MS SQL connection via the database painter, the DB connection takes
> > about 2 minutes. This behavior is similar to when I had a named/pipes
> > connection. I've verified, via the MS client connection manager, that I
> > am in fact communicating across a TCP/IP connection. I've no problem
> > connecting (with an identical profile setup) with PB 5 or PB 6.5, just
> > PB 7.0.  While it's trying to connect to the DB, my client machine is
> > thrashing the disk and PB70.exe is consuming 70% of the CPU.  I've also
> > checked my disk for duplicate DLL names but have found none.  Has anyone
> > else seen This
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > DTL
> >
> > btw:  an ODBC connection to the MS SQL db takes less than a second to
> > connect

0
Doug
6/7/1999 2:37:32 AM
Doug,
  Check the response from Alex in my posting (5/27/99) in the connectivity
newsgroup for a solution!
Mike

Doug Lewis wrote in message <3751BFF6.DEBBE2F2@worldnet.att.net>...
>Since migrating to PB 7.0, I've noticed that when I try to establish a
>MS SQL connection via the database painter, the DB connection takes
>about 2 minutes. This behavior is similar to when I had a named/pipes
>connection. I've verified, via the MS client connection manager, that I
>am in fact communicating across a TCP/IP connection. I've no problem
>connecting (with an identical profile setup) with PB 5 or PB 6.5, just
>PB 7.0.  While it's trying to connect to the DB, my client machine is
>thrashing the disk and PB70.exe is consuming 70% of the CPU.  I've also
>checked my disk for duplicate DLL names but have found none.  Has anyone
>else seen This
>

>Regards,
>

>DTL
>
>btw:  an ODBC connection to the MS SQL db takes less than a second to
>connect

0
Mike

PB 6.5 and MS SQLServer 7.0
Hi, I just installed PB 6.0 Enterprise and applied the 6.5 Maintenance update. I'm having an error connecting to a SQLServer 7.0 DB using ODBC. I have researched back a few messages and found that the "Program type out of range" is a common error, and there is a fix for it. I have tried all the links that were posted to the fix, but they are all outdated. I also tried Sybase's support page to get the new updates but it doesn't seem to be functioning very well. I am unable to get anything anonymously from their FTP server as well. I would like to know whe...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

How to connect to Ms Sqlserver 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
I want to connect to Ms Sqlserver 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5. Would you please tell me where I can download the native database driver? Thank you very much! Sincerely, Fang Jing fangjing@telekbird.com.cn I have not been able to find a native driver anywhere. We are having no real problems using the SQL 6.5 drivers with PB 6.5.1. You have to upgrade to PB 6.5.1 or there are some issues. (Like you can't paint a DW off of a stored proc) Hope this helps....Paul Fang Jing <fangjing@telekbird.com.cn> wrote in message news:tmKLHsSR$GA.289@forums.sybase.com... ...

connection problem from PB 6.5 and MS SQL 7.0
I experience this problem when trying to connect to MS SQL 7.0 from PB development Environment from Database painter. SQLState S1003 Microsoft ODBC Drive Manager PRogram Type out of Range. Your help much appreciated. Upgrade to 6.5.1 Syed <syedibrahim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UNYhqTUR$GA.191@forums.sybase.com... > I experience this problem when trying to connect to MS SQL 7.0 from PB > development Environment from Database painter. > > SQLState S1003 > Microsoft ODBC Drive Manager PRogram Type out of Range. > > Your help much appr...

Problems with PB 6.5 an MS SQL server 7.0
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------0750141F83AAE38789D43ED0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I use PB 6.5 Eterprise, build 444 and MS SQL Server 7.0 First after installing new *.dll's from EBF 620, i could connect to the database. But I have som problem getting data from the database. From my code: is_navn = Left(Trim(Upper(sle_navn.Text)) + "%", 34) is_fornavn = Left(Trim(Upper(sle_fornavn.Text)) + "%", 34) is_adresse = Left(Trim(Upper(sle_adresse.Text)) + "%", 34) is_postnr = ...

Problems with PB 6.5.1 and MS SQL Server 7.0
I just started working with MSSS 7.0 and immediately ran into problems. I am not comfortable with the work-arounds, so if anyone can give me a better way to solve these problems, I am listening. 1) I get an ODBC 22008 error from my imbedded sql. The pbtrace.log shows datetime values with a 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mi:ss.ffffff' format. MS SQL Server can only handle three decimals. So, I changed the PBDateTime setting in the pbodb60.ini file to 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mi:ss.fff'. Problem circumvented. 2) I get an ODBC 37000 error from my imbedded sql. The pbtrace.log shows datatime bin...

PB 6.5, SQL 7.0, Database Blob Object Problem
We're using a Database Blob Object on a DataWindow to display various documents of different types (Word, Excel, etc). As you would expect, you can double-click on the Blob Object to activate the appropriate server (Word, for example) and modify the object as needed. The problem occurs when you try to save the modifications during the "dw.Update(TRUE,FALSE)" statement. This used to work when we were using: PowerBuilder 5.0, MS SQL Server 6.5 PowerBuilder 6.5, MS SQL Server 6.5 But now it does not work when we use: PowerBuilder 6.5, MS SQL Server 7.0 Th...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

Native database driver for MS SQL 7.0 with PB 6.5
Where can I download the native database driver for MS SQL 7.0. I'm currently using PB 6.5. TIA, Toms On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:07:12 +0700, "Toms" <t0ms@iname.com> wrote: >Where can I download the native database driver for MS SQL 7.0. I'm >currently using PB 6.5. Microsoft wants everyone to use ODBC and they no longer recommend or support native connectivity for 7.0. You can still safely use the MSS 6.5 native driver from PB, but you will not be able to take advantage of some MS SQL Server 7.0 features. -- Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] ...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

PB 7.0 App Having Login Problems with 6.5 MS SQL Servers
Hello all. I am at a total loss for this problem. Here is my configuration: I have two MS SQL Server's with version 6.5 installed. One server has SP 3 and the other SP 5. My PB app, which is in 7.0, is trying to connect to a seperate database on each server. On server # 1 (sp 3) is a central database and on server # 2 (sp 5) is a "local" database that would be at my remote branches. In my test, it is on my local backbone and I am have the same problem locally as when I come across the WAN. I am getting the following error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Dr...

PB 6.5.1 Vs MS Sqlserver 7.0
I am using PB 6.5.1 / MS Sql 7.0. Datawindows with select statements work fine, but For all the Datawindows with Stored procedures as the Data source, I get the following error when trying to preview or run - Select error: SQLSTATE=22005 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid character value for cast specification What could be the problem ? Please help asap. Thanks a lot !! I am connecting to the database via ODBC MDAC 2.1. The stored procs are only using integer and char input and output parameters. In fact even if try to create a new datawindow, I get the same error. T...

Web resources about - PB 7.0 and MS SQLSERVER 6.5 PROBLEMS! - sybase.powerbuilder.database

rails-sqlserver (Rails SQL Server) · GitHub
rails-sqlserver has 4 repositories written in Ruby, JavaScript, and C. Follow their code on GitHub.

Tallan - LinkedIn
Welcome to the company profile of Tallan on LinkedIn. Founded in 1985, Tallan is a national IT consulting company that provides custom application... ...

Kazuhiko Kikuchi (@kazuk) on Twitter

The Fantastic 12 of SQL Server 2012: Behind the Scenes - YouTube
... http://bit.ly/12of12pdf For more information on SQL Server 2012 and to download the trial version, please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver ...

CamelCase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
is the practice of writing compound words or phrases in which the elements are joined without spaces , with each element's initial letter capitalized ...

SQLUG.be
... that brings together the Belgian MS SQL Server community. Our goal is to share experiences, enthusiasm and knowledge about Microsoft SQLServer. ...

wangming7的日志 - 网易博客
wangming7的日志,小偷公司敬上,青年男女抿着嘴爆笑囧事,这个飞机可不是那个飞机噢!,潘基文与“鸟叔”朴载相 共跳“骑马舞”(图),看守泰坦尼克2B男青年大喊让妇女孩子先走,青年男女抿着嘴爆笑囧事,给鱼缸灌开水的后果,女流氓语录精选版,校园爆笑糗事大全,学普通话很重要噢!- ...

Expanding the Cloud for Windows Developers
The software that powers today’s world of Internet services has become incredibly diverse. Today’s announcement of Amazon RDS for Microsoft SQL ...

IT Developer/Engineer
... jobs at Monster. 15 or more years of experience writing code (such as, and not limited to, Java, C, C++, C#, VB.Net; databases like SqlServer/ ...

Cisco Technical Forums
Find ANY word Find ALL words Find EXACT phrase Help Aironet Power Supplies VoIP Gateways Cisco Repair Refurbished Cisco Cisco CPQRGs New ...