PB 7 and MS SQL 2008

I have a PB 7 app with a native connection to a MS SQL 2000
database. What is the best practice connection to MS SQL
2008? I made an ODBC connection but get the following error
when Executing a stored procedure.

SQLSTATE =22005
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Invalid character value
for cast specification.

Can anybody help me?
0
Nico

The best practice would be to upgrade PowerBuilder to the current version -
11.5. PowerBuilder 7 came out in 1999 and was end-of-lifed sometime in 2003.

That being said, have you tried OLE DB? I am using it with SQL Server 2005
and PowerBuilder 9 without issues.

<Nico Steyn> wrote in message news:4ba8ad9a.937.1681692777@sybase.com...
>I have a PB 7 app with a native connection to a MS SQL 2000
> database. What is the best practice connection to MS SQL
> 2008? I made an ODBC connection but get the following error
> when Executing a stored procedure.
>
> SQLSTATE =22005
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Invalid character value
> for cast specification.
>
> Can anybody help me?

0
Roland
3/23/2010 12:17:23 PM
Which Provider. SQLOLEDB or MSDASQL or PB Sybase OLE DB?
0
Nico
3/23/2010 12:46:45 PM
I've created a SQLOLEDB connection and it seems to work
fine. Problem is when I do a retrieve on DW bound to a
stored procedure the app crashes without any warning. Will
it help if I rebuild the .PBL?

Nico
3/23/2010 1:25:24 PM
Hi Nico;

  If you have the time, I would try the new SNC connectivity. I run all my
SS2005 and SS2008 applications using the native client.

--

Regards ... Chris
President: STD Inc.

"Nico Steyn" wrote in message news:4ba8c144.c46.1681692777@sybase.com...
> I've created a SQLOLEDB connection and it seems to work
> fine. Problem is when I do a retrieve on DW bound to a
> stored procedure the app crashes without any warning. Will
> it help if I rebuild the .PBL?
>
> Thanks

0
Chris

PB with an Existing MS SQL 7.0 database
I downloaded the evaluation copy of PB 8 because I want to see if I can use the new PB with an Existing MS SQL 7.0 database. I could not get it to recognize the Primary key which is a Binary Varchar. I can Create nice reports without using the Primary Keys Yet just adding simple records is impossible. Thank you for any suggestions you may have. Nedlog ...

Can PB 5.0 connect to a MS SQL 7 database?
Can PB 5.0 connect to a MS SQL 7 database? If so what Powerbuilder dll's are needed? There are no drivers, that I am aware of, for PB5 to connect to MS SQL 7. You can try to use the MS SQL 6 drivers or the ODBC drivers, but you might expect to run into some limitations. On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:16:19 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.connectivity Acie Clayborne <acie@atmsol.com> wrote: >Can PB 5.0 connect to a MS SQL 7 database? If so what Powerbuilder dll's are >needed? > > --- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] | Romac/Source Interna...

MS-SQL Server 7 With PowerBuilder 7
I write a SQL statement like this: SELECT * FROM MATERIAL Table Material have 120,000 records data. Execute this Query in SQL Server Query Analyzer. It's spends about 2 minutes Execute this Query in PB 7.0 Database painter's ISQL Session It's spends over 10 minutes. I used Native drive not used ODBC to connect the MS-SQL 7.0. My database server have: Server's CPU x 4 Database Server : MS-SQL Server 7 How can I improve the performance in PowerBuilder? Thanks for your help! from Leo Leo, Depending on your requireme...

Native database driver for MS SQL 7.0 with PB 6.5
Where can I download the native database driver for MS SQL 7.0. I'm currently using PB 6.5. TIA, Toms On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:07:12 +0700, "Toms" <t0ms@iname.com> wrote: >Where can I download the native database driver for MS SQL 7.0. I'm >currently using PB 6.5. Microsoft wants everyone to use ODBC and they no longer recommend or support native connectivity for 7.0. You can still safely use the MSS 6.5 native driver from PB, but you will not be able to take advantage of some MS SQL Server 7.0 features. -- Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] ...

MS SQL 6.5 Unable to connect to database PB 7.0 Enterprise
I am having an intermittent problem when many users attempt to run my PowerBuilder application written in PowerBuilder 7.0 Enterprise running on Windows 98 workstations accessing a MS SQL 6.5 database. The connection to the database is through the Powerbuilder native driver interface (PBMSS70.DLL). When the number of users reach a certain point and a new user attempts to run the program, the user is presented the ODBC Data Sources program. (The one the can be accessed through the Control Panel.) When the user exits the Data Sources program, PowerBuilder issues an error message: ...

sql express 2008 database to sql server 2008 database what bits do I need to download
I need a client program for my pc so I can put my sql express 2008 database on a sql server 2008.  My SQL server is off on some generic web host. I tried management studio 2005 express version won't open my .mdf file but it opens my web host database. I tried to download full version of sql server 2008 but couldn't find the management studio program in the download.    Is there a trial or a preview I can download from microsoft that has the bits? Thanks Dan. I don't ask many questions but I'm trying to partisipate in this community.Good Luc...

PB 7 & MS SQL 7
Is there any benefit to using the OLEDB interface to SQL Server 7.0 from PB 7.0. ??? We are planning to migrate to both shortly, and have been testing using the Sql Server 6.5 native drivers to connect to the database, but I am not sure if we can do better by using the OLE DB connection. At first brush - I can connect within the PB IDE to our SQL 7 database, but seem to have problems with setting the dbparm correctly in the run-time app (it may be a quoted string within a quoted string issue reading from the INI file). I am primarily looking for performance or reliability gains,...

OLE DB Problems, PB 7, MS-SQL 7
Since one month, we used PB 7.0 with SP 1 and MS SQL 7.0 with SP1. For the connection, we used OLE DB but I discovered that sometimes the connection was OK sometimes not. We have SQL 6.5 and SQL 7.0 drivers installed on each machine. Another problem is that we have got a lot of GPF because PB is not able to use OUTER JOIN with OLE DB. If I read BOL for SQL 7.0 he said that the new native driver for SQL 7.0 is the OLE DB driver ... Does anybody know how to fix the problem (outer join and stability) or if I have to use a different driver. If yes, witch one and with what parameters. T...

PB 7.0 MS SQL 7.0 uniqueidentifier
Hello I have a problem with with uniqueidentifier column. I have table with one uniqueidentifier columne when I try to run select like this within database painter: select * from table_name; I have an error about using embeded SQL. The same SQL runned within aplication dosn't raise an errror but value from uniqueidentifier column is truncated. Help. (PB 7.0, MS SQL 7.0, OLE DB - SQLOLEDB) ...

Connect MS-SQL 7.0 in PowerBuilder 7.0
In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? Please post to the powersoft.public.powerbuilder newsgroups This is dedicated to PB issues when used within Jaguar Masun wrote: > In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but > in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? ...

PB 7.0 MS SQL 7.0 Uniqueidentifier
Hello I have a problem with with uniqueidentifier column. I have table with one uniqueidentifier columne when I try to run select like this within database painter: select * from table_name; I have an error about using embeded SQL. The same SQL runned within aplication dosn't raise an errror but value from uniqueidentifier column is truncated. Help. (PB 7.0, MS SQL 7.0, OLE DB - SQLOLEDB) ...

MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000
With Enterprise Manager, how can I convert a database from MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000 Thanks. Do you have Books Online? There is a topic in there called "Upgrading Databases from SQL Server 7.0 (Copy Database Wizard)" which will tell you how to do it. Terri Terri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question Create a staging database to deal with issues before moving to the destination database. We still have some 7.0 and 2000 running. The process is test a lot then deploy. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Gift PeddieKind regards,Gift Peddie thanks guys...

Web resources about - PB 7 and MS SQL 2008 - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Playdate: 'Star Wars' week celebration, episode two!
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is nearly upon us, and Engadget's gaming crew can barely contain itself. Life for Sean, Tim and Jess has been a ...

The FBI Took Martin Shkreli But They Left His Wu-Tang Album
FBI officials arrested the notorious pharma executive Martin Shkreli Thursday on allegations of securities fraud, but they didn’t have the authority ...

The Fed Raises Interest Rates After Months Of Promises
The Fed has finally raised interest rates after months of promises, procrastination, and speculation. The decision was unanimous, and it took ...

Blackberry's CEO Gives You a Great Reason to Buy an iPhone
Cops and spies alike are up in arms lately over companies like Apple using uncrackable encryption on their devices. But Blackberry, whose clickity ...

Strained Relationship Between Baltimore Officers, Public
Tattered relationship between law enforcement in Baltimore and citizens

WhatsApp back online in Brazil after temporarily block
WhatsApp back online in Brazil after temporarily block

Google Self-Driving Car’s Chris Urmson On California DMV: “Same Old Status Quo”
Yesterday, the California DMV posted a draft of proposed regulations for self-driving vehicles. Obviously, Google was waiting to see what came ...

Restoring files from Windows 10's File History
The File History tool in Windows 10 lets you restore your files if they're corrupted or inadvertently deleted. Here's the most straightforward ...

Look out, Jeff Bezos: Spending bill would undermine development of new rocket engine
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' plans to build rocket engines for future heavy lift rockets to orbit may be undermined by a provision in the omnibus ...

Secretary Of Defense Carter Smacks Down The Littoral Combat Ship Program
In an unusually scathing memo to Secretary of the Navy Ray Maybus, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has demanded severe changes to the troubled ...