Oracle 10g Express installed prevents PB from connecting to Oracle 8i

Problem with PB 9 and connecting to Oracle 8i database.
After installing oracle 10g Express on my machine (server and client), I can no
longer connect to Oracle 8i  FROM PB.
I CAN connect using Oracle tools (Net8 assistant) and using TOAD.  The TNS etc.
did not change.

I removed the Oracle 10g Express bin from my PATH, and now I can connect.

Question is why 10g Express stops PB from connecting but not TOAD/Oracle 8i Net8
assistant.  I understand Oracle express is doing something different to prevent
people from running multiple instances, but why does this only affect PB?

I am using the Oracle native drivers and I had tried
O73
O84
O90

all had failed when Oracle express is in the path.

Also, I had been able to connect fine with PB to 10g express.

So, it seems PB is not connecting the same way that TOAD and Oracle's tools are?

Hi I had the same problem.
Copy Your old tnsnames definitions into the OEX tnsnames.
I might be wrong but I remember seeing about being the only Oracle instalation
on machine in OEX doc.
I hope this will help You
On 8 Dec 2005 09:22:28 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.database
M. Searer <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Problem with PB 9 and connecting to Oracle 8i database.
>After installing oracle 10g Express on my machine (server and client), I can no
>longer connect to Oracle 8i  FROM PB.
>I CAN connect using Oracle tools (Net8 assistant) and using TOAD.  The TNS etc.
>did not change.
>
>I removed the Oracle 10g Express bin from my PATH, and now I can connect.
>
>Question is why 10g Express stops PB from connecting but not TOAD/Oracle 8i
Net8
>assistant.  I understand Oracle express is doing something different to prevent
>people from running multiple instances, but why does this only affect PB?
>
>I am using the Oracle native drivers and I had tried
>O73
>O84
>O90
>
>all had failed when Oracle express is in the path.
>
>Also, I had been able to connect fine with PB to 10g express.
>
>So, it seems PB is not connecting the same way that TOAD and Oracle's tools
are?

0
fff
12/8/2005 6:15:20 PM
That was it!
Thanks a lot!

<fff@aa.com> wrote in message news:43987838$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi I had the same problem.
> Copy Your old tnsnames definitions into the OEX tnsnames.
> I might be wrong but I remember seeing about being the only Oracle instalation
> on machine in OEX doc.
> I hope this will help You

> On 8 Dec 2005 09:22:28 -0800,
> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.database
> M. Searer <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>Problem with PB 9 and connecting to Oracle 8i database.
>>After installing oracle 10g Express on my machine (server and client), I can
>>no
>>longer connect to Oracle 8i  FROM PB.
>>I CAN connect using Oracle tools (Net8 assistant) and using TOAD.  The TNS
>>etc.
>>did not change.
>>
>>I removed the Oracle 10g Express bin from my PATH, and now I can connect.
>>
>>Question is why 10g Express stops PB from connecting but not TOAD/Oracle 8i
> Net8
>>assistant.  I understand Oracle express is doing something different to
>>prevent
>>people from running multiple instances, but why does this only affect PB?
>>
>>I am using the Oracle native drivers and I had tried
>>O73
>>O84
>>O90
>>
>>all had failed when Oracle express is in the path.
>>
>>Also, I had been able to connect fine with PB to 10g express.
>>
>>So, it seems PB is not connecting the same way that TOAD and Oracle's tools
> are?

Oracle 8i client connected to Oracle 9 database.
I have connected my Powerbuilder 9 application to a Oracle 9i database using Oracle 8i client. My Oracle home is set to 8. My Powerbuilder DB connection is using Oracle 8. Things seem to work. Why? In general, there will be compatibilty between client and server versions here; however, you'd have to check Oracle for their specific supported configurations. If you try to access anything new in Oracle 9 (like new datatypes, etc.), I expect you'll see problems that may be handled gracefully or not so gracefully. On 3 Dec 2004 13:03:31 -0800, Kurt Pager wrote: >I have co...

PB 10.5.1 Build 6021 , Oracle 10g server , Oracle 8i client. Making an RPC call to a Oracle Function and the last character is getting truncated
Making an RPC call to a Oracle Function and the last character is getting truncated. Similar Support Case : CR Number: 386424 Case Number: 11158124 I tried Disableunicode = 1 and not working .Is there any other workaround for oracle 8i client. That case was for Oracle 9i server and 8i client. There was a second workaround which was to use the Oracle 9i client. Not sure if that would work for you since you're on Oracle 10g server. > Making an RPC call to a Oracle Function and the last > character is getting truncated. > > Simi...

how to implement login module using Oracle 10g database (logic & Oracle 10g Queries) and how can i use membership and roles with Oracle 10g & VS 2.0
 Hi all, Can any one tell me how to implement login module using Oracle 10g database (logic & Oracle 10g Queries) and how can I use membership and roles with Oracle 10g & vs 2.0. , for implement this is it compulsory to install oracle 10g server on the same machine on which I'm implementing this task  or otherwise i can use  other system as a server (like remote login or client server)  Hi,You should have the Oracle 10g Server or Client In your machine.In Case Client is in your Machine then Server Must be somewhere,that is enough to use.I hope then we ...

How to connect PowerBuilder to Oracle 11g and which PB version suppports oracle 11g?
Hi All, Please tell me how to connect PowerBuilder to Oracle 11g and which PB version suppports oracle 11g? Currently i am using Power Builder version 9. Thanks Mukul Hi Mukul; FYI: PB version 11.5 and higher has support for the new native O11g driver. You can still use older versions of PB that use the O10g driver over to 11g - but, you will be restricted to 10g functionality. HTH -- Regards ... Chris ISUG - NA RUG Director http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com "mukul" <mukul.trivedi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3f291629-08c6-446a-8c81...

PowerBuilder 9.0.2 native Oracle driver for Oracle 10g database
We are migrating from Oracle 8i to 10g. The PowerBuilder 9.0.2 application is extremely slow using PowerBuilder Oracle 8.4 or 9.0 native driver to connect to Oracle 10g database, We had to use 7.3 driver. After using trace we found that the SQL scripts with index hint cause slow down, but they are working ok using Oracle 8.4 driver with Oracle 8i database. Any suggestion which is best way to connect from PowerBuilder 9.0.2 to Oracle 10g database? We have tried the Oracle 8.1.7 client and Oracle 9.0 client. I found a solved case on Sybase support web site, but we do not have support...

How to connect PB application to an Oracle Express Server 10g
Hi, I want to connect a Oracle Express Client on an Oracle Express Server with Powerbuilder. I was using native connection with non-free oracle editions but ORACLE Express has no TNSNAMES file. How can I do ? Thanks, Sylvain Assuming that Oracle express uses the instant client, you would create a connect string that references the name of the server followed by the name of the instance: //hostname:port/service_name On 18 Sep 2006 07:13:49 -0700, "Sylvain DERHE" <sderhe@felix.fr> wrote: >Hi, > >I want to connect a Oracle Express Client o...

Problems connecting to Oracle 9i database with Oracle 10g Client and Win XP x64
Hardware/Software:Dell Precision 490 with Intel Xeon 64 bit processor running MS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1.Visual Studio .NET 2005 Oracle 10g ClientI am trying to run my ASP.NET application from the above mentioned computer that connects to an Oracle 9i database on another machine on the network, but get the following error when using the OLEDB provider for Oracle:Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.Provid...

Can't connect to Oracle database using Oracle 10g Client in Windows 2003 Enterprise
Hi, Our test environment is Windows 2003 enterprise with IIS and Oracle 10g client installed. I wrote a simple asp.net program to connect to a Oracle database and display the select result in a datagrid. But can't connect to Oracle. It seems .NET can't find the oracle client. Any idea is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joey...

Oracle 10g Database connectivity in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop Version using ODBC
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4940f6b1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I have installed PB 11.5 Desktop version with all the EBF`s. I created a DSN for the Oracle 10g default ('Orcl') database through ODBC Administrator. I was successfully able to connect to the database through the DSN. Now I created a Database Profile in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop version for the DSN created above. When I tried testing the database connection I got the errors present in attached in document...

Oracle Database 10g Express Edition installation on openSUSE 11.3
Hello, I'm trying to install Oracle Database 10g Express Edition installed following oracles install guide at 'Oracle� Database Express Edition' (http://tinyurl.com/26kdmw4) I'm pretty much already running into problems with the first step. Downloaded the rpm, executed the line below (as root) Code: -------------------- rpm -ivh oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm -------------------- and ended up with: Code: -------------------- Preparing... ########################################### [100%] /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zuOYYL: line 160: [: ...

PB 6.51 + Oracle 8i + PB Oracle 7.3 Driver
Are there any "gotchas" to the following configuration in a Windows NT Server 4.0 (SP5) environment? PB 6.51 executable, Oracle 8.1.5 (including NET8), PB Oracle 7.3 driver & Oracle 7.3 datafiles? Will it work better with Oracle 8.05? Thanks in advance Yev I'm still on 8.0.5, but otherwise you've described my setup (or one of my client setups, I should say). There are some isolated problems between the older version of SQL*NET and Oracle 8 servers that will cause internal errors in the server. They are described in some tech note...

Oracle 10g Database Connection
I am migrating my DB from Sybase to Oravle10g - while trying to connect to oracle DB from PowerBuilder I got this error - pls help "Failed to get local NLS_LANG charset ID." thanks & regards What Oracle client are you using? If you have multiple Oracle homes, which one is primary? Which driver (O84, O90, O10, ODBC, JDB)? Is this the IDE or an error when running your program? -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/ http://www.pb9books.com product enhancement requests: http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement <...

Powerbuilder connection to oracle 8i
i have a problem connecting to pb 7.0.3 build 10108 to onnect on oracle Release 8.1.6.0.0 i get the error ora-00942 ( table or view not found) while the user which i connect with has all privileges to create tables PB is looking for the PBCAT tables. This error is a known bug when connecting to a new database that doesn't have the catalog tables installed yet. The workaround: don't use the catalog tables by setting the following parameter in the pb.ini file: [Database] NoCatalog=1 This issue is fixed in EBF 10146. Contact Tech Support to get that build. -- ...

Oracle::DBI module
Hello, Can someone help with me a DBI issue I'm having in connecting to an Oracle 10g DB server? We have production scripts that loads data into DB (oracle9i) using DBI module. We recently migrated our database to oracle 10g. Our DBA has implemented load balancing on this 10g server and gave us the new tnsnames entry as... hoststring.10G = (DESCRIPTION= (LOAD_BALANCE=yes) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=x.x.x.123)(PORT=1521)) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=x.x.x.124)(PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA= (SERVICE_NAME=xxxx) ) ) Currently, using the...

Web resources about - Oracle 10g Express installed prevents PB from connecting to Oracle 8i - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...