OpenIngres-ODBC-Powerbuilder Connectivity

Hi,

Can somebody help me with using Powerbuilder5/6 on win95 with OpenIngres
1.1 on VAX/VMS.  The relevant details are as follows :

I.  Hardware & Software involved:
---------------------------------

1. VAX 4105 as the database server with VMS 5.5-2
2. Intel Pentium MMX 200 based PC (Digital 3100) with Microsoft Windows
95 ver 4.00.1111
3. Network protocol - TCP/IP on client as well as the server
4. OpenIngres 1.1
5. Powerbuilder 6.0/5.x
6. Intersolv ODBC drive for OpenIngres ver 3.00
7. OpenIngres/Net ver 1.2 on Windows 95 (includes Visual DBA)

II.  Activities carried out for establishing connectivity between
OpenIngres 1.1 and Powerbuilder Enterprise :

a) Checked if ping is working from either side-Successful

b) Did a telnet from PC -> VAX server (login user = ingres)-Successful

c) Configure a vnode - Successful
vnode = niit
type = Global
login = ingres
protocol = wintcp
Listen  Address = II0

d)  Started Ingstart-Successful

e)  Ran �isql� (niit::olimfas_prod)Executed simple �selects� and created
a test tables to verify permissions for user �ingres�-Successful

f)  Ran Visual DBA (niit::olimfas_prod)-Successful

g)  Installed Intersolv ODBC driver for Ingres 3.00 (32 bit)-Successful

h)  Configured a datasource for Ingres on the Win95 PC using Control
Panels ODBC32 Administrator-Successful

i)  Started Powerbuilder-Successful

j)  Configured a profile for using the ODBC datasource created earlier -
Successful

k)  Invoked �Connect-ion� button on the profile painter - Failure
The error message observed is �catalog tables could not be created and
are not available for use�

l)  Invoked �Connect-ion� again but with the �trace� option on for the
datasource (to observer all call made by the ODBC driver to the database
server)-Failure

III. Observations
-----------------
1. The error message observed above is not because of any permission
problems because the same login was earlier tested for table creation
activiy.

2. With the �trace� option on, the trace log file shows that the after
connection to the database server, Powerbuilder catalog creation process
is terminated abruptly with a return code of -1 (SQL_ERROR). The trace
log does not provide any more information as to where it is failing.  It
just shows the point at which the disconnection occurs.

3. The contents of the errlog.log for each of this connectivity
operation is as follows :

a.  errlog.log on the server

FSTPS2:: [   ,00000019]: current datatime  E_GC2410_PERF_CONV.  PL
internal error.  PERFORM_CONVERSION  Failed.  Please see system
administrator
(After this another line specifies that the connection was aborted)

b.  errlog.log on the Win95 Client

FS_EDP_4::[  ,00000000]: current_datatime  E_GC2205_RMT_ABORT Session
Failure:  ABORT received from remote partner

FS_EDP_4::[  ,00000001]: current_datatime  E_GC220B_EXP_RCV_FAIL GCA
expedited receive failure: reason follows

FS_EDP_4::[  ,00000001]: current_datatime  E_GC0001_ASSOC_FAIL
Association failure : partner abruptly released association

FS_EDP_4::[  ,00000001]: current_datatime  E_GC220E_AL_FSM_STATE  AL
internal error : Invalid state transition in AL FSM Input = 2, State = 0

4. Intersolv provides a utility (downloadable from their web site) to
debug connection problems (compass32).  This was used and it was
observed that the connection was aborted immediately after it was
established.  The program shows the success or failure at each step and
sequence of testing was as follows :

a)  SQLAllocEnv ->  Returns: SQL_SUCCESS
b)  SQLAllocConnect  -> Returns: SQL_SUCCESS
c)  SQLDriverConnect -> Successfully Connected to DSN: dsn_name

After this the errlog.log shows the messages stated earlier  and the
next statement  (SQLAllocStmt) returns SQL_ERROR

5. If  any component of OpenIngres/Net (isql/Visual DBA) is open and
then the connectivity via ODBC is tried then Windows95 hangs.

I have also tried to use CA's 32bit ODBC driver ver 2.8 but it gives the
following error ever before connecting:

"could not load oiapi.dll and iiapi.dll" (this is not verbatim)

I suspect that the character set does not match on the client and the
server.  But I could not find a way to set it in OpenIngres/Net 1.2. The
character on the server side being 'decmulti'.

TIA

Ejaz Ahmed
NIIT Ltd, Calcutta (India)
ejaz@hotmail.com
ejaz@niitcal.niit.co.in
0
Ejaz

Powerbuilder and ODBC connection to Progress database
We are trying to connect an application to a Progress database. Our application is written in PB 5.04. We have version 8.3E of Progress and would like to establish an ODBC connection to our application. We are able to connect to Progress but not in Powerbuilder or through our application. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Carol Burrows DBC SMARTSoftware, Inc carol_burrows@dbcsmartsoftware.com When you cannot connect, what error do you get? Can you connect outside of PowerBuilder via ODBC using MS Query or some other tool. The newer versions of ODBC Administrat...

PowerBuilder 6.5 issues with an ODBC connection to a Database
PowerBuilder 6.5 Build 444 Windows XP ********** ALSO SEE ATTACHMENTS ************ I am working on the project that we talked about in April. We are hoping the client will be convinced to go to PowerBuilder 10.5, but at this moment I am stuck in the 6.5 world. We are using a new database by HP in which it is a Non Stop System. It is an ODBC connection (ver. 3) with the drivers developed by HP. It is SQL '9x compliant ( ANSI SQL:99 ). After connecting I get errors when trying to retrieve a datawindow. The first time when opening the Pre- View I get data because of the ...

Avoiding ODBC Connections when setting up a UDB database in Powerbuilder 7.0
Hi group, i am trying to get rid of the ODBC settings that are generally required when one tries to connect PB with UDB. Is there a way to do that?? You would still need to have the driver registered. But you could use a DNSless connection to avoid having to have entries for the database. See the last half of the following: http://teamsybase.net/blogs/?p=44 On 29 Jan 2007 04:56:50 -0800, normaltusker@gmail.com wrote: >Hi group, >i am trying to get rid of the ODBC settings that are generally >required when one tries to connect PB with UDB. Is there a way to do...

Oracle 10g Database connectivity in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop Version using ODBC
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4940f6b1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I have installed PB 11.5 Desktop version with all the EBF`s. I created a DSN for the Oracle 10g default ('Orcl') database through ODBC Administrator. I was successfully able to connect to the database through the DSN. Now I created a Database Profile in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop version for the DSN created above. When I tried testing the database connection I got the errors present in attached in document...

powerbuilder database connections
When I connect to any database using Powerbuilder 4.0 I get the following error messages: unable to start, server not found Could not load interface for specified database unable to load Powersoft ODBC DLL Please help Stephane Stephane, The system can't find PBODB040.DLL. HTH, Carson ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Carson Hager Dynamic Data Solutions Team Powersoft http://www.dyn-data.com chager@dyn-data.com ******** Are You Ready for the Web ******** ...

connecting to database from powerbuilder
Hello, Is there any way to connect to database from powerbuilder other than transaction objects.. Thanks in advance Suby a powerbuilder application needs transaction objects to interact with any dbms. what functionality are you trying to build? sanjiv. <Suby> wrote in message news:42d4b61b.3c60.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > Is there any way to connect to database from powerbuilder > other than transaction objects.. > Thanks in advance > Suby Hi The transaction object is the object to be used to connect to any database? What do you...

Cannot connect my database to Powerbuilder
Hi, I am new to Powerbuilder. I am unable to run a Powerbuilder program with the database that I have specified in the 'Database Painter'. Could you please help me? I am able to see the tables in the painter but when I try and run the exe after building it, it does not seem to be pointing to that database. Regards, Anand Surendar You have to populate those same attributes on the SQLCA connection object and then issue a CONNECT statement within your application code. On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:33:22 -0800 (PST), anand_icomm <anand09011982@gmail.com> wrote: &g...

ODBC Connections with PowerBuilder
This is actually a follow up to my previous "PB5.0 Connection to Watcom DB." We upgraded the PB libraries to 5.0.04 and were able to solve the "The allocation of the connection handle failed" problem. However, the "The command extension block could not be allocated" still happens when: 1) Start a PB application with an ODBC connection and leave it running. 2) Start and end a second PB application with an ODBC connection. 3) Repeat step 2 24 times. 4) When the second app is started the 25th time we get the "The command extension block could not ...

powerbuilder database connections
I receive this error message when I try to connect the dbclient. "unable to start, server not found" When I try to connect to any type of database in Powerbuilder, I receive these errors: unable to load Powersoft ODBC DLL could not load interface for specified database Please help Stephane In article <TcVR68XL9GA.205@forums.powersoft.com>, viaust@rmoc.ca says... >> When I try to connect to any type of database in Powerbuilder, I receive >> these errors: >> unable to load Powersoft ODBC DLL >> could not load interface for specified ...

Powerbuilder ODBC Connection Details
One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how our application connects with their database. Powerbuilder provides such easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the nuts and bolts of connecting. When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does the pb runtime expect to read? Any other details are appreciated. Thanks, Doug 1) The ODBC system files. This is so deeped rooted into the the Windows OS that I cannot list the specific files. The ODBC system files are included in ...

Powerbuilder
Can any one help with creating a connection to providex(Mas 90) database from Powerbuilder. I set up the profile using the Mas 90 data source , I am able to connect but get powerbuilder message saying it cannot create Catalog tables. I can only then see one table. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

PowerBuilder 10 Database connection
Hello, In my previouos topic I wrote: Hi, > > I have PB 10.5 and ORA 9.2 installed on Citrix MetaFrame > server. > > Even though when I open database profile and hit 'Test > Connection' button I get 'Connection Successful' message, > there is, in fact, no connection. No tables are visible, the > datawindows won't retrieve the data. I can, however, connect > to ORACLE DB using ORACLE SQLPlus. PBO90105.dll and > PBO10105.dll are in place... > > What am I missing? Well, the funny part is - the 'Connection Successfu...

powerbuilder 4 and database connections
When I connect to any database using Powerbuilder 4.0 I get the following error messages: unable to start, server not found Could not load interface for specified database unable to load Powersoft ODBC DLL Note: trying to access Watcom 4.0 database, and Access 97 database Please help Stephane In article <gsdG7#XL9GA.178@forums.powersoft.com>, viaust@rmoc.ca says... >> >> When I connect to any database using Powerbuilder 4.0 I get the following >> error messages: >> >> Stephane, See my reply to your message in the otehr news...

Web resources about - OpenIngres-ODBC-Powerbuilder Connectivity - sybase.powerbuilder.database